• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Starter Discussion Thread

Which starter will you be choosing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anuhrima

Darkness and Rebirth
    Years
    Gen 5 starters are just something the creators sneezed out. they fail. I will be dumping them as soon as i get second poke in game >_>
    >_> If you don't have something nice or even appropriate to the conversation, don't say it at all. These are a nice set of starters.

I'm picking Pokabu cause I've always chosen fire types. ALWAYS. And because he appeals to me the most. I just love his happy go lucky attitude the picture portrays. Can't wait to see his evo's.

Years
    Personally, I love all the starters for Black and White. The blue one is a favorite of mine. I seem to love Pokemon or trainers that others don't really appreciate as much. For example, a lot of people disliked Lyra, whereas I thought she was adorable. I knew the anime would make her more lovely than her artwork for HeartGold and SoulSilver. Many fans did a fantastic job drawing her. Even though people didn't like her artwork, her in-game battle sprite looked very nice. Same goes for Mijumaru. His sprite is adorable. The shades of blue they used on him look lovely. I love the shell on his belly. I know he's a sea otter, but he reminds me of a puppy, too.

My decision of which one I'll chose depends on how the evolutions of the Pokemon look, and their movesets. Also, knowing what other Pokemon are included this gen influences my decision making as well. If I like another Water type more than Mijumaru, I may choose Tsutaaja or Pokebu instead. I usually choose my team based on how much I like the appearance of the Pokemon in the game or by how useful they are to me.

DXrobots

Just a passing through trainer
    Years
    I like the Fire pig that is all I can see it turning into like a badass fire boar or like this:

The Starter Discussion Thread

but with fire everywhere

metapod23

Hardened Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    Guess the American Name of 5th Gen Pokemon

Well, this is a thread idea I had to just have some fun. So far we know of 11 Pokemon in Black & White: Tsutarja and its two evolutions, Pokabu and its two evolutions, Mijumaru and its two evolutions, and Zorua and its evolution, Zoroark.

So as the new Pokemon are revealed, we can start guessing what their American names might be, just for the fun of it. Well, I like the idea of getting my creative juices flowing and doing it, anyway. :)

I was thinking for Pokabu's second evolution maybe: Pigerupt (though that might be too close to Camerupt). That wouldn't be a good first or final form name, imo. Maybe for a first form name: Pyrig or Pyriglet (pyre + pig/piglet).

Go ahead and throw out your best guesses for the American names of any newly revealed 5th Gen Pokemon. :)

Last edited:

Demigod

umop ap!sdn
    Years
    I can't believe what pokemon is heading to. If it wasn't for the money they shoul have stop at generation 3. even tough this gen looks a bit better then gen 4.

The grass type is the only one decent.

Last edited:

Zeph.

Casual Player, Silly Username
    Years
    I have a strange feeling that Tsutaja's final stage will be dual type Grass/Fighting.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Mijumaru looks so adorable haha. I'd pick the grass type but as I've said somewhere before, he looks like treecko and flygon mixed together. The fire type starter looks decent but I almost never start with the fire type unless he is a monkey.

I gotta say that when I first saw them I wasn't too impressed but now for some reason they grew on me. I'm even more pumped to use these guys xD

Charizard632

Now a great Touhou addict
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Jul 6, 2012
    Mijumaru reminds me of Piplup. In fact, he is closely related to Piplup. I would pick Pokabu, because I believe its stats will be great for its final evolved form.

Years
    I'll be starting with DerpDerp A.K.A. Wotter A.K.A. that water one.

Pignition if I get the other version. Trade request the Grass one.

Years
    English names for the starting trio

Tsutarja, Pokabu, and Mijumaru... the three starting pokemon for Pokemon Black and White. Well, at least, that is what their Japanese names are. They will likely have different names when they come out in English-speaking countries. So I thought it'd be fun to put on the translator's hat and have a go at what some good English names will be.

Note to the mods: I didn't know whether this would be better in the Black/White forums or the Trivia forums. I chose Black/White because it is game-specific, but I understand if you move it.

First, take a look at what's been done historically. Fushigidane (strange seed) became Bulbasaur (lizard with a bulb), which is a completely different name. Hitokage (fire lizard) on the other hand became Charmander (fire "lizard"), so the name was essentially translated. Others like Hinaorashi (Cyndaquil) keep the same basic idea, but change it to make it sound good.

So, here is our new starting trio (all images and information taken from Bulbapedia):
    ===================================================

Tsutarja
    - The Grass Snake Pokémon
    Origin: Tsutarja may be based off of a lizard or a snake. Its shared traits with both make it similar to skinks.
    Name Origin: Tsutarja's name is possibly derived from 蔦 tsuta, ivy, and 蛇 ja, snake.

Pokabu - The Fire Pig Pokemon
    Origin: It appears to be based on a saddleback pig.
    Name Origin: Pokabu is derived from ぽかぽか pokapoka, warmth circulating through one's body, combined with 豚 buta, pig.

Mijumaru - The Sea Otter Pokémon
    Origin: It appears to be based on a sea otter.
    Name Origin: May be derived from 水 mizu, water and 丸 maru, round.
    ===================================================

So let's hear some ideas! I look forward to hearing creativity.

Please no sarcastic joke posts like
    Tsutarja - Mudkip
    Pokabu - Mudkip
    Mijumaru - Mudkip LOLZ

Redrup

The Gentleman
    Years
    Tsutaja - GreenLizard
    Pokabu - BrownPig
    Mijumaru - BlueDwarvenClown or ???

I actually have no idea what they are likely to call them.

Judging by their past naming conventions for the starter Pokémon, they'll combine a verb or adjective with a noun and do their best to make it sound logical.

Years
    So, I just read the "Starter Discussion" thread and noticed that threads like this have popped up and been merged with that one. Sorry, didn't know that when I made this thread (only read first and last page), but I think they are substantially different enough to be separate threads.

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2010
    Water starter sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I really hate the water starter i think its very odd and i don't like its dimples and its plain bald head. tHE FIRE STARTER ISNT THT BAD BECAUSE HE'S NOT WEIRD JUST THE FACT THAT HE LOOKS LIKE GRUMPIG. THE GRASS STARTER IS REAL COOL AND HE LOOKS A LOT LIKE TREEKO WHICH I LIKE A LOT (ESPEACIALLY SCEPTILE) WHAT MAKES HIM DIFFERENT IS THAT I THINK HE FITS IN THE MOST WITH THE OLDER POKEMON AND HE'S COOL WITH THOSE EYES.

Charizard3

Champion
    Years
    well, since my brother isnt gettin te new games when they come out in the us, i have no second game to get all three starters in whereas in heart gold, i got all 3. I asked my friend, and he said that he wanted to do some trading with me to get all 3 black and white starters, but, if all else fails, pokabu here i come.

assasinn

Pokemon MAULER
    Years
    Pokabu is a pig, and a fire type, is will fry itself (just like torchic did) I'm choosing the grass type mijumaru, which is probably going to evolve into a tree-thing, or maybe some sceptile-like evolution, and it becomes this cool A-word ninja.

~Platina's Jason~

Platina Fan to the 9th Degree~
    Years
    Tsutaaja > Mijimaru =Pokabu.

So basically I started out liking Pokabu the best and hating Mijimaru the most. After seeing quite a few good peices f fanart for Tsutaaja though, I've come to like him the most and put Mijimaru and Pokabu on equal levels of hatred. *Nod.*

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back