• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Starter Discussion Thread

Which starter will you be choosing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • XD If Smuglord was Grass/Dragon and got its tail (don't got hands lol) on either Power Whip and/or Outrage and/or Leaf Storm and/or Draco Meteor... yeeeaaahhh. Sure, it's only got 75 in each offense, but slap a choice on the mofo or else make him swords dance his royal butt away, and the thing would own hardcore. :>

But you're right, 65 in each defense is hardly bulky. But defensively pure Fire is worse than Fire/Fighting, I think; Flying and Psychic are not as devastating as Rock moves are, and Fire's already weak to two common types of attack (ground and water).

Also, y'all folks using Everstones to prevent your starters from evolving... you ARE aware of the fact that everyone and their grandma in this gen has monstruous offense? Even the dog, the pigeon and the monkeys, which are supposed to be early game Pokemon, all have attack well above 95. I don't really care if people evolve their starters or not, but I'm curious as to what y'all plan to do when little Tsutaaja/Pokabu/Mijumaru faces all the fully-evolved pokemonsters in the game and their huge attack stats. :>

Well the everstone people will have some difficulty when Iris and her Ononokusu come barging in with Base 147 Attack. Not to mention at least 5 others have Att/SpA stats over 130, which is scary high. Then Zekrom comes in at 150 Att, and Reshiram at 150 SpA. 0_0

You are gradually persuading me to get smugleaf... xD ahhh.

Calder

Gamertag: LycaNinja
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2011
    If I do actually decide on getting White for some reason (As the sprites suck so much) I've decided not to go with my 1st choice Pokabu for the obvious reasons of WTF GF I kill you xD nor my 2nd choice Tsutarja because its single typing disappointed me... (Why not a wingless flyer?) based solely on design I'll get Mijumaru and evolve him into Futachimaru and Everstone him so he doesn't turn into Marstomp I mean Daikenki (Could have been a Ground type at the very very least gf why...) That also makes Mijumaru the 3rd Mono Water starter (and Tsutarja is also the 3rd Grass mono... Next 2 Fire starters gonna be Mono to catch up now? <.<) either that or pick Tsutarja so Cheren has Pokabu and Belle has Mijumaru and I box Tsutarja (haha take that fanboy) and catch a Yooterii and raise it as my starter or something...

DAMN YOU BLAZERBACK FANS! STOP POSTING ABOUT PIGGY. I love boars/pigs irl and now I'm having second thoughts.

HELP ME BE STRONG, SMUGLORD. I MUST NOT PICK THE PIGGY. THAT'S A GRYFFIN-DOR / HUFF-LE-PUFF STARTER. I MUST NOT DISHONOUR SLYTHER-WIN HOUSE.

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff. >_<

Weird... I'm a Ravenclaw and I'm starting with Mijumaru... Hmm... Conspiracy!! xD

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    From the last time I've seen the starter evolutions when they were in the unconfirmed zone, I had a change of opinion.

I'm going to get used to the starter evolutions very quickly. Seeing them for a long time as they had remained unconfirmed previously, they started to grow on me then. It was bound for this to happen since other fake pokémon were announced more quickly than these had the chance to be.

As I start to see Pokabu's evolution line throughout the game, it'll be a normal sight, and this goes for many other people as well. We should all be glad Pokabu is a size like that; the more bacon the merrier? XD;

Tsutaja's and Mijumaru's evolution line have nice designs. After seeing their sprite designs from battle screenshots, I saw nothing wrong. The sea lion/otter look was very creative on behalf of the creator. It was just a matter of time that these would be real, and I would have to look at the starters from a different point of view. Compared to a few of the new pokémon that I've seen, they look very normal and I'm satisfied. We've got three choices and surely there's one that has at least one impressive aspect on a person.

I don't know what I would have expected to see if these were to be different, but at least we won't have to worry about them being worse if these were fake.

The Red Chain

Well the everstone people will have some difficulty when Iris and her Ononokusu come barging in with Base 147 Attack.

Not if you bought White version. ;D

Unfortunately, the curse of having high base HP is getting screwed in either one or both of the defenses pretty bad. Sorry Pignition, you're not loved that much. ]: I think his design wasn't meant to say "bulky" more than "gonna ram your face into ground now". I see far more power in his design tbh. Though it is pretty comical for something so huge to have the defenses of a toothpick. :x

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Not if you bought White version. ;D

Unfortunately, the curse of having high base HP is getting screwed in either one or both of the defenses pretty bad. Sorry Pignition, you're not loved that much. ]: I think his design wasn't meant to say "bulky" more than "gonna ram your face into ground now". I see far more power in his design tbh. Though it is pretty comical for something so huge to have the defenses of a toothpick. :x

Oddly enough, Jaroda (Tsutarja's final stage) appears to have more Defense and Special Defense than Pignition/Enbuoo does. And its appearance would say otherwise, IMO...

Rankurusu

WHITE VERSION AT LAST!!
    Years
  • Pokabu is only one of 3 starter final evos I don't like. The others would be Blaiziken and Sceptile. It's not that bad though. If i had a Pokabu i'd evolve it.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Except Enbuoo has the highest attack stat of any starter in existence.

Enbuoo's Base Stats

HP:110
    ATK:123
    DEF:65
    SP ATK:100
    SP DEF:65
    SPEED:65
    TOTAL:528

BTW All of the final evolutions of the new starters have the same base stat total.
    Huh, I was right; Enbuoo is the slowest final Fire starter evolution in Pokemon history (even slower than Blaziken). High HP and offenses are good, but poor defenses and Speed are going to make Enbuoo tougher to use than Blaziken. I can see Enbuoo becoming a UU Pokemon.

What are the stats of the other 2 starters, if I may inquire?

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Huh, I was right; Enbuoo is the slowest final Fire starter evolution in Pokemon history (even slower than Blaziken). High HP and offenses are good, but poor defenses and Speed are going to make Enbuoo tougher to use than Blaziken. I can see Enbuoo becoming a UU Pokemon.

Here are Tsutarja's final stats:
    And Majimaru's final stats

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years

• Here are Tsutarja's final stats:
    And Majimaru's final stats
    In that case:

For the Tsutarja evo's stats: its HP, Attack, Defense, Special Attack and Special Defense remind me of Meganium's for some reason, except they're inferior. That Speed is really good.

For the Mijumaru evo's stats: I love them. Well balanced, though that Speed is middling.

Years
    • Seen Jul 30, 2023
    Not sure which I'm choosing. Leaning towards Water. Grass might be a possibility. Fire is awful though. If I chose it, I wouldn't evolve it past the basic form.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Huh, I was right; Enbuoo is the slowest final Fire starter evolution in Pokemon history (even slower than Blaziken). High HP and offenses are good, but poor defenses and Speed are going to make Enbuoo tougher to use than Blaziken. I can see Enbuoo becoming a UU Pokemon.

Argh...EV training might be a hassle this go round for Pignition. Originally, I was going to invest in Attack and Speed, but now I might have to divert some of the EVs to the defenses instead, which were supposed to be adequate to begin with! If Pignition's/Enbuoo's Defense and Special Defense were raised instead of HP, that might give it a better shot in battles. I guess larger HP is only effective if you have the right Defense & Special Defense to back it up. Do the Defensive stats take priority over HP amount...?

Devil Flamingo

→ Loves Defense
    Years
  • On Pignition/Blazerback's stats:

Actually, if I were to use the thing, I'd max out its hit points and invest the remaining EVs in either attack or special attack, or split it between the two. I don't think there's much point in giving him any EVs in defense/sp. defense and/or speed. It would be nice if it could learn a healing move as that might help it out a lot if it has max'd hit points (in conjunction with Leftovers, of course)...

orange discontent

pogeymans?
    Years
  • Pokabu's final is not that bad, although that mo-fo is going to be slooooow :( Miju... they screwed ya over.

Tsutaja has the best consistency in design (Pokabu's is all right, and Miju's is a total wall banger) but I'm not feeling it's apparent elegance.

rockets>u

The Champion of on-and-off
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2011
    I just hate it when GF screws over a pokemon by giving it high attack and special attack.

Piggy would be awesome if its special attack was lowered 20 points and put into speed.
    Or actually, have both special attack and speed lowered and put into the defenses.

Something like ----- 110 Hp 123 attack 85 def 75 spA 85 spD 50 speed

This tends to always happen to fire types too, especially my favorites...grrrrr (Arcanine, Rapidash, Entei, even Ho-oh)

Last edited:

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    I refer the Final Evolution as there First form names :(

Smugleaf is Doomed into NU/UU all of it's stat's are lower than Meganium (exept for Speed) so unless it's moves decide to be usefull it will just be a Speedy Wall. :/

Pokabu has a High Attack and HP than Infernape so that's good,but I was hoping for a little Def/S.Def Boost :/ So not only it's type disgusts me but it's stats to.

Mijumaru might be a mix off Feraligatr and Lapras Stat wise (It's Atk is 100 while Feraligatr's is 105) (Mijumaru's stats are higher than Lapras exept for HP and Sp.Def

Last edited:

stargate1995

Mr. Flying Pickle Monster
    Years
  • I'm gonna go with Daikenki seen as it(to me) looks better then the other two starters, and looks is what I base my choice on not stats.

Anyway with Enbou I think it's funny that it's defences are the lowest out of all the starters(and there not even good tbh), to me it seems like he got the worst stat spread, especially if they don't add any new physical fire moves.

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    It wouldn't be to bad for Enbuoo if they didn't add new Physical Fire Type Attack's because at least it Sp.Atk is Do-able (100 Base isn't Bad) But yeah if they do add it it will clearly be better.

But I think I'm going with Pokabu this time around.It will be the First Fire Type I ever Start with (I did Grass with every Gen) and even though it's Type disgusts me it still the needs love that Jaroda and Daikenki are taking. (Not saying that Joroda and Daikenki is bad)

Nugg

Le Diable Blanc
    Years
  • =] I chose Smugleaf. He folds his arms and taps his right foot on the ground during battle (not sure if animations are the same when you're battling one)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back