• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Starter Discussion Thread

Which starter will you be choosing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    The starters look very appealing during battle as I see it for myself. Their colors show vibrancy; and the movement within position is great. I especially like Tsutaja's animation which the above poster has described. Makes him look as arrogant (in a good way) as said and has a nice posture to fit the arrogance throughout the battle.

It'll be fun experiencing the evolutions especially since the starters don't take too long to level up. The evolving stage animation is pretty neat too.

Abyssumi

Future Legends Z-A Mod
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    ok i had the willpower to stay away for an entire month before the excitement of black + white getting released took over so im seeing a lot of new things lately!

at first i hated the starters final evos but now i like them all. even the fire/fighting type combo isn't making me hate pokabus final evo which imo is awesome.

i think i still prefer tsutarja but its tight.

but none of them will make a big impact on the metagame im afraid.

my predictions:
    mijumaru3: uu/bl
    pokabu3: uu
    tsutarja3: nu

drew6464

Spriter and composer
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Jan 8, 2023
    You know you want Smugleaf.

There are a lot of questions circling about Smugleaf. "U Mad?" is his internet meme catchphrase. Smugleaf IS smug, and a hit. So I bet you guys that 70% of the people here will choose Smugleaf. :P

spike6958

TCG Collector
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 30, 2021
    I WAS going to pick him, until he let me down by been a pure Grass type, if by his full evolution he was a Grass/Dragon I would have taken him, but because he is not, I am picking Pokabu instead, because his full evolution looks like Ganon from Legend of Zelda.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • There are a lot of questions circling about Smugleaf. "U Mad?" is his internet meme catchphrase. Smugleaf IS smug, and a hit. So I bet you guys that 70% of the people here will choose Smugleaf. :P

That reminds me, if Seals are still present in BW, "U Mad?" is what I am going to use for Jaroda's "entry phrase." :D

Though it should have been Grass/Dragon-typed... :(

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2012
    Mijumaru all the way. I must be one of the few people who doesn't actually like Tsutaaja that much.

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2010
    Hmm, I'm a big fan of Smugleaf, but I may change my mind concerning which starter to choose. I don't see many good water types apart from the fossilised turtle, who will probably come late in the game, and I don't see any water type gym/E4 that Smugleaf will be useful in.

And, actually, the water starter has actually grown on me quite a bit, but I don't like it as much as Smugleaf.

Choroneko

チョロネコ
    Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2012
    Ever since the starters were revealed, I set my mind on choosing Pokabu even after seeing the evolutions I'm sticking with Pokabu :).

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    There are a lot of questions circling about Smugleaf. "U Mad?" is his internet meme catchphrase. Smugleaf IS smug, and a hit. So I bet you guys that 70% of the people here will choose Smugleaf. :P
    And probably 90% of them will be naming Smugleaf,"Smugleaf" xD

I know I will. (It won't be my starter,I'm trading him over)

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2012
    Interesting thing to think about, actually: do you think Game Freak might hear of all the "Smugleaf" being thrown around and say "oh, well, that's as good a name for it as any"?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Nope. I think it has a lower chance because it is a fan-made name.

Besides, think back to all the past starters;
    Squirtle - Squirt, Turtle
    Charmander - Char - as in ashes, and Salamander (?)
    Bulbasaur - Bulb Dinosaur?
    Cyndaquil - Quil, Cynda

(lol none of this is probably right, but it all relates to my point)

You get the point. None of those names have actually had something to do with the way the sprite/artwork was drawn, and related more to their types/specifications.

But yeah, that's just how I see it, and for those reasons, Smugleaf is unlikely.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2012
    You have a point.

In any case, I ain't callin' it nothin' but Tsutaaja until we find out what the English name really is.

'Cept maybe Bob. Bob's a nice name.

Last edited:

Pandesal

W - Luna! Trigger!
    Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2011

Cyndaquil - Quil, Cynda

(lol none of this is probably right, but it all relates to my point)
    Close, it's cinder and quill :P

Anyway, I've grown so used to seeing Tsutarja called 'Smugleaf' that I feel as though I'll just be disappointed with whatever name GameFreak gives it. Though I'll probably end up getting used to it, just like how I'm pretty much okay with the starters' final evolutions now.

That and I'll be nicknaming my Pokemon anyway.

Years
  • I'm aiming to get both versions, so I'm going to pick Tsutaaja and Mijumaru. I'm one of those people who isn't a fan of Pokabu's evolution and am very annoyed that there is ANOTHER fire/fighting combo. :| (and why the hell are the other starters only one type? Also, the Mijumaru line should have gotten the /fighting type..)

On another note, I'm quite fond of the name 'Smugleaf' for Tsutaaja and am in love with the meme, so I kind of am wishing for something similar for an English name-- if not, I'm nicknaming it that. And of course, to match, my Mijumaru will be Wotter.

Devil Flamingo

→ Loves Defense
    Years
  • Not currently a topic in this thread, but can I just say Emboar is growing on me big time? I think I'll use him along with Smuglord.

Also, can people just get over themselves about the whole part Fighting thing, plz? Yes, I whined about it at first too but it's been a week or two now so let's just drop it (I'm not referring to anyone in particular, just the fandom in general). Besides, being part Fighting is a good thing; at least Stealth Rock won't kill him right away, ugh.

Finally, yes, he hasn't got Speed Boost like Blaziken and he hasn't got Infernape's speed, but he can hit harder than either one of them and his Flare Blitz always does more damage thanks to his Dream World ability (Reckless). No, he won't be taking the OU metagame by storm any time soon, but hey, at least he can do stuff the other firefighters cannot.

EMBOAR (w/ Reckless)
    brave@Expert Belt
    252 HP, 252 Att, 6 SpA

- Heat Stamp
    - Wild Bolt
    - Head Smash
    - Flare Blitz

You want to make Piggy succesful? Then do right by him.

Piggy weighs 150Kg, which means Heat Stamp (physical, Pokabu's sig move) will have 100 base power. You can always use Nitro Charge or else a Fighting move (he gets Hammer Arm and SuperPower), but I think 100 base power is pretty damn solid and personally I don't want him to be using Flare Blitz all the time. You could also have Earthquake, I guess.

Second move is Wild Bolt, and you have to have this, period. Ken and Ape don't learn Wild Bolt, and Piggy's Reckless increases its power as does Expert Belt if it's super effective. If you switch in a Water pogey on Piggy, you damn better hope you're Starmie or something and you faint him for sure, because if he survives your attack, I guarantee your Water type will NOT survive Piggy's Wild Volt coming from his monstruous attack combined with Reckless and Expert Belt. Same goes for Flying Pokemon: it's not good enough to just outspeed Piggy; you HAVE to faint him, because if he hits you, he WILL faint you. XD

Then we have Head Smash, which is just ridiculous. If this thing hits you and you're weak to Rock, you're a goner. Piggy might be gone too but you'll go down for sure. It almost makes me cry how insanely powerful this move is on Piggy, jfc. This thing is an OHKO on Charizard, Moltres, Ho-Oh, Urgamoth and pretty much anything with an unfortunate double weakness to Rock, lol.

Finally, we have Flare Blitz, which Piggy owns better than Blaziken and Infernape, since his attack is higher than theirs (without SD) and he gets Reckless. XD Basically, if Piggy hits you with Flare Blitz, say hello to Dusknoir in the Underworld 'cause you're a goner unless your defenses are epic and/or you resist Fire big time, or you're immune to it (XD Chandelar is safe). Yes, his defenses aren't great, but they're better than both Blaziken and Infernape, and he's got tons more HP to abuse it (hence maximum HP).

Now, Piggy will prolly still be UU, but I don't give a damn because he's still fierce. If you use him in a Trick Room team raep is imminent. Some people think he should be jolly with max speed and maybe a choice scarf, but personally I feel it's better to max his HP. It's sorta like Rock Polish Torterra, you know? What isn't naturally fast shouldn't be made fast by force; let fast Pokemon be fast and slow ones be slow. Besides, Piggy's max speed is 251, which is pathetic. By contrast, his max HP is 424, which is köööööl.

...Yeah, I'm unpredictable. :D Blaziken was my first starter ever and I love chickens and stuff, and when I saw Emboar I was like "DO NOT WANT" and now I'm like "DO WANT VERY MUCH PLZ" because he's so underestimated and hated and Ken and Ape will get used by everyone instead of him. It's not that I hate popular Pokemon (Roserade is uberpopular, innit? Still my fave of all time; I'm her #1 fan and anyone who claims otherwise will be poisoned and beaten to death >:3) but I have a weakness for underdogs.

Also, pigs/boars are fierce, intelligent and uber-delicious. Mind you I don't eat pork anymore due to health reasons.

ALSO, ALSO, ALSO. PIGGY IS COMMUNIST. "It cares deeply for its comrades" = OMG ILU TOO EMBOAR. WE GON' SHOW DEM HATERZ WHAT UR MADE OF, BABBY!

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Not currently a topic in this thread, but can I just say Emboar is growing on me big time? I think I'll use him along with Smuglord.

Also, can people just get over themselves about the whole part Fighting thing, plz? Yes, I whined about it at first too but it's been a week or two now so let's just drop it (I'm not referring to anyone in particular, just the fandom in general). Besides, being part Fighting is a good thing; at least Stealth Rock won't kill him right away, ugh.

Finally, yes, he hasn't got Speed Boost like Blaziken and he hasn't got Infernape's speed, but he can hit harder than either one of them and his Flare Blitz always does more damage thanks to his Dream World ability (Reckless). No, he won't be taking the OU metagame by storm any time soon, but hey, at least he can do stuff the other firefighters cannot.

EMBOAR (w/ Reckless)
    brave@Expert Belt
    252 HP, 252 Att, 6 SpA

- Heat Stamp
    - Wild Bolt
    - Head Smash
    - Flare Blitz

You want to make Piggy succesful? Then do right by him.

Piggy weighs 150Kg, which means Heat Stamp (physical, Pokabu's sig move) will have 100 base power. You can always use Nitro Charge or else a Fighting move (he gets Hammer Arm and SuperPower), but I think 100 base power is pretty damn solid and personally I don't want him to be using Flare Blitz all the time. You could also have Earthquake, I guess.

Second move is Wild Bolt, and you have to have this, period. Ken and Ape don't learn Wild Bolt, and Piggy's Reckless increases its power as does Expert Belt if it's super effective. If you switch in a Water pogey on Piggy, you damn better hope you're Starmie or something and you faint him for sure, because if he survives your attack, I guarantee your Water type will NOT survive Piggy's Wild Volt coming from his monstruous attack combined with Reckless and Expert Belt. Same goes for Flying Pokemon: it's not good enough to just outspeed Piggy; you HAVE to faint him, because if he hits you, he WILL faint you. XD

Then we have Head Smash, which is just ridiculous. If this thing hits you and you're weak to Rock, you're a goner. Piggy might be gone too but you'll go down for sure. It almost makes me cry how insanely powerful this move is on Piggy, jfc. This thing is an OHKO on Charizard, Moltres, Ho-Oh, Urgamoth and pretty much anything with an unfortunate double weakness to Rock, lol.

Finally, we have Flare Blitz, which Piggy owns better than Blaziken and Infernape, since his attack is higher than theirs (without SD) and he gets Reckless. XD Basically, if Piggy hits you with Flare Blitz, say hello to Dusknoir in the Underworld 'cause you're a goner unless your defenses are epic and/or you resist Fire big time, or you're immune to it (XD Chandelar is safe). Yes, his defenses aren't great, but they're better than both Blaziken and Infernape, and he's got tons more HP to abuse it (hence maximum HP).

Now, Piggy will prolly still be UU, but I don't give a damn because he's still fierce. If you use him in a Trick Room team raep is imminent. Some people think he should be jolly with max speed and maybe a choice scarf, but personally I feel it's better to max his HP. It's sorta like Rock Polish Torterra, you know? What isn't naturally fast shouldn't be made fast by force; let fast Pokemon be fast and slow ones be slow. Besides, Piggy's max speed is 251, which is pathetic. By contrast, his max HP is 424, which is köööööl.

...Yeah, I'm unpredictable. :D Blaziken was my first starter ever and I love chickens and stuff, and when I saw Emboar I was like "DO NOT WANT" and now I'm like "DO WANT VERY MUCH PLZ" because he's so underestimated and hated and Ken and Ape will get used by everyone instead of him. It's not that I hate popular Pokemon (Roserade is uberpopular, innit? Still my fave of all time; I'm her #1 fan and anyone who claims otherwise will be poisoned and beaten to death >:3) but I have a weakness for underdogs.

Also, pigs/boars are fierce, intelligent and uber-delicious. Mind you I don't eat pork anymore due to health reasons.

ALSO, ALSO, ALSO. PIGGY IS COMMUNIST. "It cares deeply for its comrades" = OMG ILU TOO EMBOAR. WE GON' SHOW DEM HATERZ WHAT UR MADE OF, BABBY!

^I started Pokemon with Blaziken, too! :t257:

Regarding Enbuoo/Pignition, I'm debating between Flare Blitz and Heat Stamp. With the former, you get +20 Power at the loss of HP, but with the latter, you don't have to worry about recoil damage... But Enbuoo/Pignition with Reckless+Flare Blitz and Wild Bolt does sound enticing, and has the potential to devastate a few foes... :D Plus, with an adequate supply of HP, I guess Flare Blitz can be dished out a few times.

Since we have the Fire/Fighting type combo being repeated for this Gen (unfortunately) yet again, I figured Pignition should at least have access to Close Combat to pack even more of a punch... In any case, Pignition is going to be very fun to use. If it survives your attack, you're likely to be a goner once it attacks, and if it somehow manages to outspeed you... ;)

Personally, I wanted Pignition to learn Punishment (when I saw the moveset revealed, I was originally going to use Assurance as a "substitute") as I originally wanted it to be Fire/Dark (which would've taken the place of Heat Stamp on the aforementioned moveset...but I'll opt instead for either Hammer Arm or Brick Break for STAB)

^(And as a side-note, every time you mention the term 'Piggy', my mind brings up thoughts of either the Muppet or that stupid Lord of the Flies book, which don't exactly fit into Pokemon's context... *shudders*) On another side-note, why does Enbuoo have EVs geared toward Special Attack...? Plus, the Nature is Brave...wouldn't Adamant work better, to preserve/retain what speed Enbuoo/Pignition has left? :\

In short, Pignition's ferocity will be unleashed with a vengeance quite soon.
    :D

Last edited:

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
  • This has probably been brought up already, but I haven't been keeping track of this thread. Does anyone else think it's odd that the fire starter gets a dual-type in it's third evolution, but the other two are mono-types? Maybe it's suppose to be more even this way, but it doesn't seem like it.

Years
  • This has probably been brought up already, but I haven't been keeping track of this thread. Does anyone else think it's odd that the fire starter gets a dual-type in it's third evolution, but the other two are mono-types? Maybe it's suppose to be more even this way, but it doesn't seem like it.

So true. =/
    I think it would've been better off if all the starters just stayed mono typed... I mean, it almost feels like GF made the other two starters mono typed just to show off the fact that they made yet ANOTHER Fire/Fighting starter. 3:<

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back