• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Starter Discussion Thread

Which starter will you be choosing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
    Grass Knot is such a win move. Especially since a lot of water types can learn it. I might teach it to my Jarooda. Either Grass Knot of Energy Ball.

EDIT: I am starting to think Jarooda is quite weak compared to the other 2 starters great attack.. Oh well YAY FOR SPEED!

What would you guys suggest I teach Jarooda seeing as its Sp Att and Att is not so great? It has great defensive and speed stats though.

Last edited:

The Red Chain

A Base 140 STAB that boosts your SpA by + 2 every time you use it?
    Was it even confirmed that this is what Perversity does? I know it says reverse.. but maybe the -2 stat to Sp. Atk is canceled out since Perversity could return it back to normal instead. Unless of course it does actually +2 to Sp. Atk. That is one sexy grass type. <3 Even Tsutaaja could maul with that in the metagame on it's own. Good, no more lame Jarooda. Before you go off saying "Tsutaaja is too weak to pull that off!" I would like to introduce you to Spore Smeargle and Baton Pass. This guy pulled it off with a Magikarp, and I did that same thing with Magikarp too soooo.

I'm kinda happy that Shuckle and Spinda are the only other two to get that ability. Makes it really special if it does as stated. <3

Samson

no, i don't know milk drink
    Years
    i was quite surprised with the naming of that ability.... "Perversity"? ok...

i kinda feel bad for Jaroda. they could've at least gave it Recover or Synthesis so it can stall with Leech Seed, but nooooo.

hate to say it, but they screwed it over more than any other grass starter. it needed that dragon typing sooo badly.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I think Jaroda would have been perfect with Dragon Dance... and not that it matters but I thought for sure that it would n=know Power Whip.

Samoo

GPX+ Fan ~ Click The Eggs :]
    Years
    Definitely Mijumaru... it's so cute :3 and it's evo's look pretty sweet too :D

Well, all the starters look pretty cool... shame Emboar is kind of an Electivire/Magmortar mix with Pokabu stuff features :/ Still cool though.

Devil Flamingo

→ Loves Defense
    Years
    What would you guys suggest I teach Jarooda seeing as its Sp Att and Att is not so great? It has great defensive and speed stats though.

If you can obtain one in the Dream World (with the ability Perversity) and breed from it a +spA or +speed nature, then you should have Leaf Storm on Jaroda, because his ability will reverse Leaf Storm's stat drop to a sharp spA raise (in other words, his spA rises two levels every time it uses Leaf Storm). Access to Hidden Power would be ideal, but otherwise I suppose you could have it with Wring Out or Sing-A-Round instead (both special normal moves). Otherwise, an Overgrow Jaroda with Coil is actually quite good, especially if you give it Leaf Blade and Dragon Tail (the latter's accuracy won't be an issue given that Coil ups your accuracy, not just your attack+defense). In the final moveslot you can have Glare, to inflict status, and it will always be accurate because of Coil (plus it has 90% accuracy now).

Anyways, people, please read this: Jaroda is neither as broken nor as weak as people think it is. Yes, it has been confirmed that Perversity reverses ALL stat modifictions: someone's Jaroda (in GameFAQs) from the Dream World used Leaf Storm, and its special attack sharply rose, then in a wild battle, a Pokemon used Leer, and Jaroda's defense went up, rather than down.

Yet this does not make Jaroda broken by any means: it could have been scarier. If Jaroda were Grass/Dragon, it would be able to use Leaf Storm and Draco Meteor in sync with Perversity, thus maxing its special attack after just using either move three times. However, he is not, and he has no variety of moves to speak of, so even if his Leaf Storms boost his spA, the fact remains Jaroda is far from broken: it has a mere 75 base special attack, and Leaf Storm's max PP is 5 (or 8 if you're like me and you use PP Max). While this is great news for our leafy friend, remember that a grand total of seven types resist Grass attacks, boosted or not, and there's many Pokemon which can shut down Jaroda effectively, including Nuttre (Grass/Steel) as well as Azumarill, Mebukijika and Miltank, all of which have the ability Herbivore, and are therefore basically immune to damaging Grass moves like Leaf Storm.

In any case, Jaroda will see plenty of usage, I think, especially in UU, but also in OU sometimes, given that his Glare is more accurate than Stun Spore, his Leaf Storm boosts his spA (no other Grass can do this), and he is the only Grass type who gets Mean Look and can actually use it and abuse it properly. Plus, of course, bulkier SubSeeding than Roserade's and Sceptile's.

Years
    Was it even confirmed that this is what Perversity does? I know it says reverse.. but maybe the -2 stat to Sp. Atk is canceled out since Perversity could return it back to normal instead. Unless of course it does actually +2 to Sp. Atk. That is one sexy grass type. <3 Even Tsutaaja could maul with that in the metagame on it's own. Good, no more lame Jarooda. Before you go off saying "Tsutaaja is too weak to pull that off!" I would like to introduce you to Spore Smeargle and Baton Pass. This guy pulled it off with a Magikarp, and I did that same thing with Magikarp too soooo.

I'm kinda happy that Shuckle and Spinda are the only other two to get that ability. Makes it really special if it does as stated. <3

Devil Flamingo pretty much already summed it up, but yes, perversity turns the -2 drop to a +2 Gain from Leaf Storm. if it gets hit with scary face, its speed will increase, etc. Like I said earlier, add the coil move, maybe substitute, and it's a force. :3

The Red Chain

Devil Flamingo pretty much already summed it up, but yes, perversity turns the -2 drop to a +2 Gain from Leaf Storm. if it gets hit with scary face, its speed will increase, etc. Like I said earlier, add the coil move, maybe substitute, and it's a force. :3

But Coil will reduce it's Attack, Accuracy, and Defense if it has Perversity. D:

Devil Flamingo

→ Loves Defense
    Years
    XD What Red Chain said. Perverse Smuglord can't run Coil, CM or SD with Perversity because his stats will drop; better stick to Overgrow if you want to use those moves.

There's downsides to everything, and Perversity's no exception; it wouldn't make sense anyway to just reverse negative stat changes and not positive ones too, lol.

Also, just so it's out there, remember that it will also not affect your foe or teammates: if you use Leer on the foe or the teammate, their Defense will go down. :>

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
    Well a good move set for perverse Tsutarja is Leaf storm, Leaf blade, Leech seed, and another grass sa move like Giga drain well at least in my mind :)

I would just stick to either Special attack moves or Special Attack moves, depending on which stat is higher. Is it were special, I would have Solarbeam instead of Leaf Storm, and Sunny Day instead of Giga Drain (Seeing as it has good Defense.) And Dragon Pulse instead of Leaf Blade so it can defeat Dragon types

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I would just stick to either Special attack moves or Special Attack moves, depending on which stat is higher. Is it were special, I would have Solarbeam instead of Leaf Storm, and Sunny Day instead of Giga Drain (Seeing as it has good Defense.) And Dragon Pulse instead of Leaf Blade so it can defeat Dragon types
    Jaroda can't learn Dragon Pulse (I read that from Serebii.net). Also, Jaroda has equal Attack and Special Attack, so it can run a pure physical or a pure special set. I'm not sure if it can run a mixed set, though.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Yeah well Leaf storm with it's perverse ability will increase it's SA, but yeah a pure Special set would be better, Leafstorm, Sunny day, Giga drain, and Solar beam :)

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    I would just stick to either [S-HIGHLIGHT]Special attack[/S-HIGHLIGHT] moves or [S-HIGHLIGHT]Special Attack[/S-HIGHLIGHT] moves, depending on which stat is higher. Is it were special, I would have [S-HIGHLIGHT]Solarbeam instead of Leaf Storm[/S-HIGHLIGHT], and Sunny Day instead of Giga Drain (Seeing as it has good Defense.) And Dragon Pulse instead of Leaf Blade so it can defeat Dragon types

I'm guessing you meant Physical for one of those places you wrote Special...?

But why wouldn't you run Leaf Storm on a Jaroda? With the ability Overgrow, I understand why SolarBeam is slightly better, because the Special Attack drop can be disadvantageous. But with the Contrarian/Perversity ability, Leaf Storm seems to clearly be the superior choice over SolarBeam. You don't have to wait 2 turns to execute, you deal higher damage, and you get "Nasty Plot" as a secondary effect!

Years
    I'm guessing you meant Physical for one of those places you wrote Special...?

But why wouldn't you run Leaf Storm on a Jaroda? With the ability Overgrow, I understand why SolarBeam is slightly better, because the Special Attack drop can be disadvantageous. But with the Contrarian/Perversity ability, Leaf Storm seems to clearly be the superior choice over SolarBeam. You don't have to wait 2 turns to execute, you deal higher damage, and you get "Nasty Plot" as a secondary effect!
    A Leaf storm Jaroda with Contrarian is a great strategy, if I ever get one (DW one) I'm using that strategy :)

Devil Flamingo

→ Loves Defense
    Years
    ...Jaroda shouldn't be anywhere near sunlight. :P

It gets no benefit from it (cannot learn Synthesis), only a greater weakness to Fire. Leave the Sunnybeaming to other Grassers; Jaroda gets an automatic NastyPlot via Leaf Storm when it has Perversity, and when it doesn't, it can run Coil, Calm Mind, or Swords Dance. In other words, Sunny Day + Solarbeam Jaroda is vastly inferior to every kind of sweeping strategy you can think of for him. Oh, everyone is free to have what they wish in theirs; I am simply confused as to why people seem to think he can make use of Sunnybeam. If you need/want a Grass starter who can Sunnybeam effectively, pick Venusaur, whose Chlorophyll (via DW) doubles his decent speed and his SpA is pretty damn good, plus he has Sleep Powder.

Anyways, as it's been said, he can learn Dragon Tail, but not Dragon Pulse (because it's not a TM; Sceptile can learn Dragon Claw but not Dragon Pulse, albeit in Sceptile's case, Dragon Pulse isn't illegal on him, since you can just raise one in DPP or HGSS, teach it Dragon Pulse, then transfer to BW). Oddly enough Sceptile can't learn Dragon Tail, only Dragon Claw.

Years
    ...Jaroda shouldn't be anywhere near sunlight. :P

It gets no benefit from it (cannot learn Synthesis), only a greater weakness to Fire. Leave the Sunnybeaming to other Grassers; Jaroda gets an automatic NastyPlot via Leaf Storm when it has Perversity, and when it doesn't, it can run Coil, Calm Mind, or Swords Dance. In other words, Sunny Day + Solarbeam Jaroda is vastly inferior to every kind of sweeping strategy you can think of for him. Oh, everyone is free to have what they wish in theirs; I am simply confused as to why people seem to think he can make use of Sunnybeam. If you need/want a Grass starter who can Sunnybeam effectively, pick Venusaur, whose Chlorophyll (via DW) doubles his decent speed and his SpA is pretty damn good, plus he has Sleep Powder.

Anyways, as it's been said, he can learn Dragon Tail, but not Dragon Pulse (because it's not a TM; Sceptile can learn Dragon Claw but not Dragon Pulse, albeit in Sceptile's case, Dragon Pulse isn't illegal on him, since you can just raise one in DPP or HGSS, teach it Dragon Pulse, then transfer to BW). Oddly enough Sceptile can't learn Dragon Tail, only Dragon Claw.
    I find this ironic as it's pokedex entry talks about how it absorbs the sunlight...sound like synthesis...another ironic pokedex entry it seems :P

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back