• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Forum Info: The Starting Pad [Rules, Guides, Q&A]

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Back for real this time! No more camp.

So, how are you guys enjoying the Roleplay Olympics?

TravelerTrainer15

I'm used to private RPing with friends on Miiverse. How can I make the transition to forum RPing easier?

Years
  • I'm used to private RPing with friends on Miiverse. How can I make the transition to forum RPing easier?

Besides reading the pinned topics? Read a few pages of different RPs on the site, just to familiarize yourself with the basics of RP posting.

Beyond that, think of an RP this way; You're a writer working on a collaboration piece with other writers, but you only have control of your character's actions in a world with already established rules. Even if your character is fighting another character who is controlled by another writer, it is still a story you're writing together and should not be seen as a competition, but more of a team sport.

TravelerTrainer15

It's just, my friends are used to some of my major quirks, and the RPs worked far differently, and they didn't mind one-liners. It's a LOT to take in here.

Years
  • It's just, my friends are used to some of my major quirks, and the RPs worked far differently, and they didn't mind one-liners. It's a LOT to take in here.

Oregon basically hit the nail on the head, but I'll add a little bit to it. Apart from the stickied threads, you'll be able to find several guides on the first page of this thread that you might find really useful.

One-liners definitely aren't allowed here you're quite right, however a good way of overcoming this is to use descriptive language. Use adjectives and adverbs, describe how your character is doing something as well as just saying they're doing it and write about your character's thoughts and feelings as well as just a line of dialogue. It might sound like a lot when I write it like this, but it is actually just a few small tips that will come to you pretty naturally once you jump in and will help you easily meet the minimum word requirement.

Don't worry about having quirky characters or being a quirky individual yourself either. We're a pretty friendly and accepting group here in the RPT and we love some fun quirks in a character and in a fellow RPer.

If you have any further questions you're welcome to continue posting here for the RPT regulars to answer, or you can message myself or one of the other mods and we'll gladly help you out. Good luck with your RPing and welcome to the Roleplay Theatre!

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    After two years I'm moving on >< thanks for the fun ride, roleplayers! I'll still be around stalking, and hopefully finishing off Titans, but otherwise you won't see me much here. I imagine a few people noticed I've been here less and less the last few months, so this is about time :).

Special shoutouts to: Rika, Gimme, Bastybutt, the Titans crew and the RPT skype lot o:.

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    See ya, Peter!

Don't leave us completely, come and visit now and again~

<Challenger>

Goodbye PC...for now.
    Years
  • I'm sorry, guys.

Hey, guys! Remember me?

Bad opener. Moving in.

I've missed you all a lot, and I miss being able to write whenever I want, but I'm going to have to say goodbye. For now.

I'm just about to go to college. Getting applications and stuff in. Writing papers for ridiculous English comp classes. All that good stuff that comes with being a senior. It pains me to say that I don't have the time, nor th energy to roleplay at the moment, and a part of of me has died with certain losses to the gaming industry. Please understand. I'll be coming back. I just don't know when.

306764.jpg

Until we meet again!
    See you, space Cowboys.
    -Challenger​

Years
  • Hey, guys! Remember me?

Bad opener. Moving in.

I've missed you all a lot, and I miss being able to write whenever I want, but I'm going to have to say goodbye. For now.

I'm just about to go to college. Getting applications and stuff in. Writing papers for ridiculous English comp classes. All that good stuff that comes with being a senior. It pains me to say that I don't have the time, nor th energy to roleplay at the moment, and a part of of me has died with certain losses to the gaming industry. Please understand. I'll be coming back. I just don't know when.

306764.jpg

Until we meet again!
    See you, space Cowboys.
    -Challenger​

I hope you don't mind but I've moved this here since it seemed more appropriate than a thread. Anyway, life does get pretty busy especially when you start moving into college/university so best of luck! Hopefully we'll see you back here someday soon.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Hey, guys! Remember me?

Bad opener. Moving in.

306764.jpg

Until we meet again!
    See you, space Cowboys.
    -Challenger​

Higher education sucks away time, I feel you. I've minimized the amounts of RPs I'm in myself too. It can be really hard to manage. Good luck with your college degree.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Hi lovely roleplayers. Life nowadays doesn't allow me time to spend on roleplaying. So I'm stepping down as a mod. But you are so well behaved and wonderful, gimmepie can handle you c: thanks for everything!

Ice1

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Hi lovely roleplayers. Life nowadays doesn't allow me time to spend on roleplaying. So I'm stepping down as a mod. But you are so well behaved and wonderful, gimmepie can handle you c: thanks for everything!

Don't worry, RP denizens! I'm here to fill the need. If I figure out how this works, that is.

SeleneHime

The pen may be mightier than the sword, but I'll t
    Years
  • How about an easy question, Ice? I couldn't find it anywhere else, so does PC allow private roleplays? (Between just two people, basically.) Everything that I've looked at in the plotting area seems like they're a group affair, but maybe I haven't dug far enough into the backlog.

Ice1

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    How about an easy question, Ice? I couldn't find it anywhere else, so does PC allow private roleplays? (Between just two people, basically.) Everything that I've looked at in the plotting area seems like they're a group affair, but maybe I haven't dug far enough into the backlog.

A roleplay has to have 4 or more players, including the GM, to be hosted here. If you want to RP with two people, and are struggling to find a location for that, I advise Etherpad! We use it for joint posting a lot, which is basically a two person RP. I don't know how long it saves text after it's been used, so you'll have to check that out. The way it allows multiple people to write add the same time and interact on the pad is great though, and you could always make backups in Word. I'm not a veteran in one on one roleplaying, though, so there might be better alternatives out there.

SeleneHime

The pen may be mightier than the sword, but I'll t
    Years
  • A roleplay has to have 4 or more players, including the GM, to be hosted here. If you want to RP with two people, and are struggling to find a location for that, I advise Etherpad! We use it for joint posting a lot, which is basically a two person RP. I don't know how long it saves text after it's been used, so you'll have to check that out. The way it allows multiple people to write add the same time and interact on the pad is great though, and you could always make backups in Word. I'm not a veteran in one on one roleplaying, though, so there might be better alternatives out there.

Well, I feel like a dork. Was rereading the rules while I waited for a response and realized I glazed right over that part of it. My apologies for stupid questions. ^_^"

Ice1

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Well, I feel like a dork. Was rereading the rules while I waited for a response and realized I glazed right over that part of it. My apologies for stupid questions. ^_^"

Don't worry! It's easy to miss text, even when it's nicely bullet pointed, haha. Pride yourself in the fact that you've read the rules :p

Back