• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Stop Censorship banner...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • The Stop Censorship banner that just appeared is quite annoying. Not only does it cover up the nice PokéCommunity banner, it doesn't seem to like staying in one place (FYI, I'm using Opera, which may have something to do with it). Whenever I go to a new page, it likes to move to different places at the top of the page.

If I could suggest, maybe spread awareness through the "Notices" box or something. That way, it's not nearly as intrusive or ugly.

Zet

Years
  • People would easily dismiss a notice without even reading it. The banner is so people can understand how SOPA, PIPA and any other form of internet censorship can affect even small sites/forums. I think you should just deal with it for however many hours it's going to be there for.

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
  • And while you're at it, you can understand more and even debate about it in this thread (clicky!).

Note that not only PC is going on this strike. Several other websites such as Wikipedia, Mozilla, Techdirt, and Tumblr are joining in this strike as well.

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
  • Seems like it's not on every style either, considering I'm using the Stand Nexus and it doesn't affect my view of the header. Just switch styles if you've already understood the point of the protest, at least for a few hours. :]

I miss Wikipedia already... at least PC is still accessible.

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
  • Yes, indeed. I can't even do my research without Wikipedia. :3
    Also, just asking, does the form apply for people outside of US?

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • I'm pretty sure the whole point of it is to be irritating and intrusive. That's what SOPA would be like, so that's what our response will be like.

Edit: @ the above, the bill is being considered in the US but effects almost everyone who uses the Internet. So yeah, the 'form' (not sure what you mean by that) effects everyone.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Well, I should also mention I'm not on that much and didn't know PC was participating. I'll definitely switch themes for now, if that's a solution.

My main gripe was really how haphazardly it was placed over the main banner. I could see a more creative way of doing it (while still being obtrusive), such as covering the PokéCommunity text and slogan with a fake notice that's similar to one that would appear if the SOPA act is passed and direct to the site its currently directed towards.

EDIT: I think I should also mention that I made this thread because I initially thought the banner was an advertisement.

Last edited:

CapricornPsyche

Psychic Trainer of Capricorn
    Years
    • Age 34
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 11, 2012
    It is fine as it is, it is only for one day.

I am glad we are showing support, even if it is a very small sign of support.​

Same here, Very glad this forum is supporting the protest, and even then for convenience one could always avoid the black banner across Elesa's eyes by changing them theme of the forum to something different: that's what I did. :3

Kano Shuuya

→ you're here, aren't you?
    Years
  • It's certainly no advertisement, at least not in the way that we generally use them.

XD;

I think we can live with it covering up part of pretty banner, or moving around a bit, when certain sites (take the Homsetuck comic's MSPA.com for example), are entirely blacked out until this is over. I'm.. okay with PC having a banner ad. XD;

Years
  • Here, let me run down all my thoughts from beginning to end on the matter.

First, let's start off when I first saw the banner. As I said above, when I first saw it, I thought it was an advertisement of sorts. I didn't click on it until after I made this thread, in hesitation that it was a trap. In addition, it especially caught my eye because it wouldn't stop moving whenever I would refresh the page or navigate to a different area of the website (which scared me into not clicking it even more). This has luckily stopped, and I think it was more due to compatibility issues with Opera than anything else.

Second, I do think there are better ways of presenting the banner, as I've mentioned above. The current one works, but I think that a global Notice box (one that appears everywhere, including the main page) explaining what the banner is for and providing helpful and relevant links could prevent confusion.

Kano Shuuya

→ you're here, aren't you?
    Years
  • We could offer more of an explanation, that's true, but there's also the fact that a good number of people online right now are familiar with what's happening with SOPA. If they don't know, the banners are there to be clicked on and to inform the people who don't know what's going on. PC wants to make people aware, but it would also be awkward if we typed up paragraphs of a notice, or post about it when people can just as easily use Google. o_o

Not that it's a bad idea to have some type of notice up to explain it, it's just easy enough to find it elsewhere.. D: /IMO
    Granted, I don't speak for the rest of h-staff. xp

Rukario

Banned
    Years
  • I'm sorry it doesn't display properly on some themes or not at all on others.. some of our custom styles use alternate header div's and coding.. it shouldn't move around though as it uses absolute positioning..

It will only be up thru the end of Jan 18th as a show of support to get SOPA/PIPA dropped.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    The problem with notices is that people don't read them. They're everyday and normal so people won't pay attention to it and give it the heed that it deserves.

As far as covering the logo and the slogan, that would have to be done individually on every single style, which would be way more work, considering the banner can have the name and slogan anywhere on it. This is just as effective imo, with much less effort.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
    Years
  • Even though the "Stop censorship" may not be covering the "PokéCommunity" banner, at least the Stop censorship banner is doing it's job. That Stop censorship banner is there for a very good reason... and that is to encourage people to protest against the SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act) and PIPA (Protect IP Act) bills. For those who do not know what it is, it's explained in this thread and Wikipedia (which shall be blacked out to also encourage those to protest against the bills). Those bills will end up destroying websites, such as social networks and end up giving any copyright content holder the right to sue people without the person who was sued for it even being able to defend for themselves.

Years
  • I understand that it'd be hard work for you to make it look pretty and fit in with every theme and such but I can see where the OP is coming from. It can be a bit disorientating for some people if there isn't some sort of explanation on PC because I doubt people will click on it because of the advertisement look it has to it. And not everyone will know about SOPA because it's an american based thing so it's not as big in other countries as it is in America.

If it were up to me I'd make a thread in the announcements forum just to clear things up and to explain what PC is supporting and everything.

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
  • I wouldn't mind adjusting the big banner to be moved properly a bit for some styles, such as the New Directions, for example. With that big banner covering the color picker, it's impossible to switch colors. For other banners, it's a bit awkward having the banner covering the face of the person of the forum mascot and such, although I guess it's worth it.

Not that it's a bad idea to have some type of notice up to explain it, it's just easy enough to find it elsewhere.. D: /IMO
    Granted, I don't speak for the rest of h-staff. xp

Well, actually, like I said, there's already a thread I made that not only explains the bill, but also allows you to debate about it as well. You can view it here: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=271558

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • Still not seeing the problem really tbh. The banner does what needs to be done which is to simply state to everyone that PC is against these bills. Can't we go for 24 hours withough being reminded of what our theme's headder looks like, or without being able to switch the colours on New Directions?

As for the whole thing about it being an advertisement, I don't believe it's in the advertisement space... So that should kinda give it away. If not then people just won't click it. No harm done there. Idk I just think people are making a lot of fuss over something so simple which doesn't cause any harm other than not being very pretty. Given that SOPA could damage this place in several ways, I'd have thought that we could live with a statement against it for a day lol.

Berry Punch

Permadrunk naughty Pony
    Years
  • The easiest suggestion for you, OP, would be changing the board style. I'm using the Slowpoke-theme and don't see any SOPA-banner, I wouldn't mind actually, it is supposed to be ugly and annoying; and as long it doesn't "block" any useful links I don't see any problem here.

I'm forced to use Opera as well by the way.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    I don't mind it, it reminds me us the problems we're facing right now as a society and the Internet itself is fighting back to stop it. But yes, change the theme... or just ignore it. Is it really that bad?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back