• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The thing on Slowbro's Tail ????

Ichida

The Zealous Blue Partizan
Years
  • I think that it's an alternate semi-evolution of Shellder, and that the change in its typical evolutionary pattern was triggered by a clause of sorts in its instincts/genes.

public class Shellder;
    public static void main( String args[] );

if{attached to Slowbro
    then{evolve to Spiral Shellder

else{evolve to Cloyster}}}

XD. Everything in the Pokemon universe can be explained in code. :P

salmence33

I'm out here
    Years
    • He/him
    • Seen Apr 26, 2024
    I always thought that it was a coss between shelder and cloyster with a different color

Years
  • It's still kinda similar to Cloyster...in a way. xD
    Maybe it's just an alternate evolution for Shelder, I seriously have no idea...xP

I remember one epsiode saying that it's still Shelder, but in like its land forme or something along the lines of that...

BUG♥CATCHER★BREEZE

Lurker from the deep
    Years
  • It's always reminded me of Pineco.
    Another thought, it some how makes Slowpoke smart enough to not only stand on two legs, obtain the ability to use punching attacks and mysteriously grow (I think this applies with Slowbro - it does with Slowking). So it's an evolution alright.

The Shellder which bites on its tail sucks on the aforementioned syrup, and so it is hard to remove. Also toxins which leak from the bite pass into Slowbro, which numbs its immunity to pain even more. The relationship between Slowpoke and Shellder is symbiotic; being attached to the Slowpoke enables the Shellder to travel on land, whereas the weight of the Shellder on its tail enables the Slowpoke to walk on its hind legs, freeing the use of its arms.

That's the offical idea, right?

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    public class Shellder;
    public static void main( String args[] );

if{attached to Slowbro
    then{evolve to Spiral Shellder

else{evolve to Cloyster}}}

You can't be serious on that XD.

I think that is just Shellder with alternate physical appearance. Although, it is now a part of Slowbro's body and thus dependent to it. I wouldn't call it a Pokemon, more like a Symbiotic Parasite.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Well, some random Pokedex quotes:
    SLOWKING undertakes research every day in an effort to solve the mysteries of the world. However, this POKéMON apparently forgets everything it has learned if the SHELLDER on its head comes off.
    Gold: If the tail-biting Shellder is thrown off in a harsh battle, it reverts to being an ordinary Slowpoke.
    So it suggests that if it comes off, it becomes a slowpoke again. Interesting...

As for the fact that the Shellder looks different on the slowpoke's evo's... well, another idea is that it merely has a different shell - after all, they don't necessarily all have the same shell - and a shellder's typical shell sitting on top of a Slowking would only look stupid/funny IMO, so they might have gone with that. The Pokemon shellder after all isn't the shell, but the creature inside of it - it merely 'uses that shell for protection' and all (just look at the Pokedex entries for that). Just throwing that one out - could be one of the other theories though.

(Bah, beaten?)

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    I think it may be some kind of old, angry, freaky looking Cloyster, that is only available on Slowbro's and Slowking's, but not in the PokéDex. :P

Dark Rhyperior

Rhyperior used Earthquake
    Years
    • Seen Aug 31, 2009
    I think it's just a Shellder that evolved into a Cloyster on Slowbro's tail, so it changed shape. Strange, I know.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    I remember seeing an episode during the Johto series that a Slowpoke was putting it's tail on the water of the pond, and then a Shellder bit it's tail and they together evolved into Slowbro...

So yeah, I guess it's just a Shellder, forever stuck with Slowbro... :\

True Reign

  
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    I remember in one of the Pokemon movies, it shows a Slowbro evolving into a Slowking. A Shellder jumped out of the water and started biting Slowbro's tail. It turned into a Slowking.

Ever since then, I have always thought that that is how a Slowbro evolved into a Slowking.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
  • I remember in one of the Pokemon movies, it shows a Slowbro evolving into a Slowking. A Shellder jumped out of the water and started biting Slowbro's tail. It turned into a Slowking.

Ever since then, I have always thought that that is how a Slowbro evolved into a Slowking.

What movie were you waching?

KostK2Boss

Europe Confirmed!!!
    Years
  • Here's my thought on this one: it is nothing. Slowbro was first introduced in Green Version (Japan),but the pokedex said nothing about Shellders. Real-life hermits hide themselves in spiral shells, that belonged to a living organism, but are not themselves living organisms. So, the designers probably intended to make Slowbro hide in an empty shell, but since Slowbro is pretty "stuffed", only the tail would be able to fit. Then they added a set of eyes and jaws to the shell, to make it more interesting (otherwise, it wouldn't really differ from Slowpoke).
    The whole Shellder-bitting concept appeared a couple of years later, in the anime, but it only made things more complex...

Back