• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

the thread that makes France look good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anti

return of the king
Years
  • ~_~ It's enough that I already admitted my fault.

No need to take it seriously lol, we all beat each other up for saying stupid things. As long as you don't outright lie like T_S and his magical Gyarados that is "4HKOed" by CBCross's Stone Edge then it's no big deal lol.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    For my main team: Starmie Spins away Toxic Spikes, and shakes off the poison due to Natural Cure.

Has anyone seen any Pokemon never really seen in OU anymore lately? I saw a Weavile today on some girl's team. I even seen Marowak this week.

And, no Aura I did not have Mountain Dew with that turley, I drank champagne. (I know I'm late replying)

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
    Years
  • Well theres one Pokemon that nobody has ever seen in OU that we'll be seeing a lot of now: Manaphy was voted OU by a clear margin (>80% iirc). Latias will also remain OU, but Garchomp was voted 57% Uber, so he isn't coming back down to OU just yet.

Discuss metagame with Manaphy in it?

Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2010
    Havent used Manaphy before but I guess if it went down to OU Rain Dance teams will be used alot in OU.

Years
    • he/him
    • Online now
    I don't understand why it will make Rain Dance teams overly used. Manaphy only gets one benefit from rain that other Water-types don't, which is Hydration. When using Rest, Manaphy is forced to use Surf / Ice Beam or Surf / Energy Ball, the former is walled by Vaporeon and friends and the latter is walled by Latias and the like.

That's just my opinion.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • Uh-oh, so it means Garchomp won't come to OU yet... :(

Actually never. At least not in the 4th generation of games. Its vote was 57% or something like that so it was again defeated by the voting system.

Havent used Manaphy before but I guess if it went down to OU Rain Dance teams will be used alot in OU.
    Metagame summed up in three words: Rain Dance teams

Theorymon is bad for the soul.

I'm curious to see how Manaphy adapts to the OU metagame, and of course, how the OU metagame adapts to Manaphy. I may ladder a little with cute Manaphy or just an old team (since I crush it anyway) just to see what's it like.

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
    Years
  • I think that Manaphy really won't affect the metagame too much, theres a lot that it can't answer to. Manaphy hype will be big at first knowing Smogon, but it should die down when people begin to realize that Manaphy is slightly overrated.

I say slightly overrated because most people thought it was originally Uber because of Tail Glow, Rest, and Hydration, which would cause an overcentralizing of Rain Dance. In Ubers, Manaphy does well because of Kyogre's Drizzle. However, with Aerodactyl and other fast Taunt anti-leads around, it is much harder to set up Rain Dance (only Electrode and Crobat that wins speed tie) will get a good chance to use Rain Dance. Also, even with Hydration Rest, Manaphy still is going to be walled by something in OU, as Aero (iirc) said.

Manaphy also has the shallowest move pool of the 100 legendaries (i.e. Celebi and Jirachi). Celebi has a much better support movepool and has access to the more reliable recover. Jirachi has a wide plethora of offensive options and is known to be a great Wish supporter for the team. Really, all Manaphy has over these two is Tail Glow, which is the same as a Nasty Plot. However, Manaphy's lack of offensive options leave the Tail Glow set struggling (Surf, Ice Beam, HP (type), Energy Ball, Grass Knot, Psychic, Shadow Ball, Signal Beam). The last three moves aren't even usually good options on Manaphy.

Overall, Manaphy's lack of easy Rain Dance support, shallow movepool, and outclassing by Jirachi and Celebi will definitely hinder it in the OU metagame.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Sorry, i fail to see how Manaphy is outclassed when they are totally different. :/ Manaphy doesnt even need anymore of a special movepool, it already has what it needs to rip things apart.

People also forget about that it can use moves like Waterfall/U-Turn too, i can see Rain Dance, U-Turn, Rest, Waterfall working ok as a support set, especially for a Rain Dance team. I mean heck it can even run a CB set (Waterfall/Return/U-Turn/Knock off) lol. Which is actually decent because once you Knock Off an item your opponent keeps going to the same poke to avoid getting more items Knocked Off and then its just a simple U-Turn on the predicted switch.

Rest Talk Manaphy is also REALLY good. Ive used several sets that are based on sleep talk and all of them are such a pain to get rid of. Ive tried Heal Bell too and it can even make decent use of that.

So far though the LO Offensive Tail Glow, Sub Mind/Glow and "WycanPhy" (same as offensive Tail glow but with Wycan Berry to lol at guys like jolt) seem to be the biggest threats.

Last edited:

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • I think that Manaphy really won't affect the metagame too much, theres a lot that it can't answer to. Manaphy hype will be big at first knowing Smogon, but it should die down when people begin to realize that Manaphy is slightly overrated.

I say slightly overrated because most people thought it was originally Uber because of Tail Glow, Rest, and Hydration, which would cause an overcentralizing of Rain Dance. In Ubers, Manaphy does well because of Kyogre's Drizzle. However, with Aerodactyl and other fast Taunt anti-leads around, it is much harder to set up Rain Dance (only Electrode and Crobat that wins speed tie) will get a good chance to use Rain Dance. Also, even with Hydration Rest, Manaphy still is going to be walled by something in OU, as Aero (iirc) said.

Manaphy also has the shallowest move pool of the 100 legendaries (i.e. Celebi and Jirachi). Celebi has a much better support movepool and has access to the more reliable recover. Jirachi has a wide plethora of offensive options and is known to be a great Wish supporter for the team. Really, all Manaphy has over these two is Tail Glow, which is the same as a Nasty Plot. However, Manaphy's lack of offensive options leave the Tail Glow set struggling (Surf, Ice Beam, HP (type), Energy Ball, Grass Knot, Psychic, Shadow Ball, Signal Beam). The last three moves aren't even usually good options on Manaphy.

Overall, Manaphy's lack of easy Rain Dance support, shallow movepool, and outclassing by Jirachi and Celebi will definitely hinder it in the OU metagame.

Theorymon is bad for the soul.

Guys if you want to theorymon don't do it in this thread. It's impossible to determine how Manaphy will perform. Some theorymon is useful and insightful. The impact a suspect will have on a metagame it has not entered for two years (AKA when I was posting RSE teams with Hypnoticon the Hypno and Tank-Elite the Blastoise and when everyone was supposedly weak to physical Electivire) is theorymon that does not fall in that category.

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
    Years
  • Phione is like...ten times better than Manaphy anyway. :3 Although Manaphy is quite adorable, I find Phione to be cuter. :D

Therefore Phione >> Manaphy. :3

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back