• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen The timeline effect on the games

Years
  • As some of you may know, RSE has a very special place in the pokemon timeline-together with FrLg they are the first games in the chronological order. At the same time XY are the last games.

Given the fact that ORAS resembel the begining and XY the end(at least for now), how you except it to influence the games? You think they will refer to future events?
    How you think they will be able to conect the games to XY given the big time difference?(they usually somehow conect games which are from the same gen console)

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I found the opening post punny as XY are the Omega and ORAS the Alpha in the time line (as you said thus far until they add a game that takes place after XY).

Anyways I think it won't impact it much. Maybe they'll reference that Mega Evolution was recently uncovered in Kalos at one point in the game. Also maybe mention that a women/ girl called Diantha became champion of the Kalos region. Stuff like that which foreshadow the events of Kalos. Maybe the player could see a commercial of Lysander advertising his Holocaster.

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
  • I honestly think there will not be any major changes.

What they could do is add the "holo caster" function into the PokeNav. They could perhaps discover mega evolution in the ORAS period? If I recall in XY, it seems that there are very little mega rings left. If this matters, in Origins, which is supposed to happen during the RSE/ORAS era, mega evolutions already exist.

In terms of trading, it could be implemented. BW and BW2 already made it clear that trading is possible regardless of period.

Years
  • I found the opening post punny as XY are the Omega and ORAS the Alpha in the time line (as you said thus far until they add a game that takes place after XY).

Anyways I think it won't impact it much. Maybe they'll reference that Mega Evolution was recently uncovered in Kalos at one point in the game. Also maybe mention that a women/ girl called Diantha became champion of the Kalos region. Stuff like that which foreshadow the events of Kalos. Maybe the player could see a commercial of Lysander advertising his Holocaster.

Didn't notice this lol
    Anyway, I really hope to see more than small reference. One thing I really hope to be in the games is a quest where we together with steven (mega) stone will found out about mega evos. Even though mega evos are new thing in XY, it been said that they are known for few years, so I find it pretty cool that ORAS will be the games where it all started.

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2022
    B2W2 already broke the mold of all games in a Generation being set in the same time. I'm sure there will be some sort of explanation.

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    I believe they will retcon the time line for the remakes. R/B are the only games that we know for sure that takes place at the beginning of the time line

Years
  • Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    The whole pokemon franchise's timeline has been confirmed(https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/History_of_the_Pokémon_world). So unless we gonna have some timeskip in the post-game or the games not gonna be a real remakes the games not gonna be at the same place in the timeline.

That Bulbapedia article doesn't confirm the timeline. It clearly states that its speculation and lacks real evidence to definitively prove that is in fact how the timeline goes:
    Spoiler:

There was that tweet sent out by one of Game Freak's people the other day....but I hardly find that to be convincing either.

Tbh, I've felt that Game Freak doesn't cared THAT much about the timeline, what with the retcons and the issue of Arceus or Mew being first. Or perhaps they like to leave it open to fan interpretation....

The one thing I don't get is why people say that games in the same Gen take place at the same time. I've never heard anyone offer up evidence as to why FR/LG and R/S/E or DPPt and G/S/C/HG/SS take place at the same time. They just go with "oh, they're in the same gen, so they must take place at the same time".

Black/White and Black2/White2 don't take place at the same time, but are in the same Gen. All I know for certain about the timeline is that:

-Red/Blue/Yellow and their remakes are at the beginning of the timeline
    -Gen 2 and its remakes take place 2-3 years after the Gen 1 games
    -Black 2/White 2 takes place 2 years after Black/White
    -Black2/White2 takes place after Gens 1-4

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2022
    Don't forget the Red Gyarados event broadcasting on TV in Sinnoh at the beginning of DPPt. Unless there were two separate shiny Gyarados that both appeared at the Lake of Rage, GSC and DPPt both take place at the same time. The Fairy type and Mega Evolution being "newly discovered" indicates that XY takes place after the previous games.
    Still not sure about R/S/E, though.

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    The whole pokemon franchise's timeline has been confirmed(https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/History_of_the_Pokémon_world). So unless we gonna have some timeskip in the post-game or the games not gonna be a real remakes the games not gonna be at the same place in the timeline.

I wouldn't say that confirms it.
    We know GS takes place 3 years after RB
    We Assume DP takes place as HG/SS ( which I would agree)
    We know BW takes place after DP and that BW2 after that then XY.
    Now they can just retcon RS to XY

Years
  • I wouldn't say that confirms it.
    We know GS takes place 3 years after RB
    We Assume DP takes place as HG/SS ( which I would agree)
    We know BW takes place after DP and that BW2 after that then XY.
    Now they can just retcon RS to XY

Don't forget the Red Gyarados event broadcasting on TV in Sinnoh at the beginning of DPPt. Unless there were two separate shiny Gyarados that both appeared at the Lake of Rage, GSC and DPPt both take place at the same time. The Fairy type and Mega Evolution being "newly discovered" indicates that XY takes place after the previous games.
    Still not sure about R/S/E, though.

That Bulbapedia article doesn't confirm the timeline. It clearly states that its speculation and lacks real evidence to definitively prove that is in fact how the timeline goes:
    Spoiler:

There was that tweet sent out by one of Game Freak's people the other day....but I hardly find that to be convincing either.

Tbh, I've felt that Game Freak doesn't cared THAT much about the timeline, what with the retcons and the issue of Arceus or Mew being first. Or perhaps they like to leave it open to fan interpretation....

The one thing I don't get is why people say that games in the same Gen take place at the same time. I've never heard anyone offer up evidence as to why FR/LG and R/S/E or DPPt and G/S/C/HG/SS take place at the same time. They just go with "oh, they're in the same gen, so they must take place at the same time".

Black/White and Black2/White2 don't take place at the same time, but are in the same Gen. All I know for certain about the timeline is that:

There is also a tweet from one of the game creators(https://mobile.twitter.com/matsumiyan/status/464052839870787584), while a tweet doesn't seem so official or serious, he still in a position where what he say is true.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Timeline and Continuity are serious business in long-running franchises, both movies, shows, comics, and games, and how retcons tend to do more harm to the story than good (see Fairly Odd Parents and the Simpsons for example). This is another reason why Hoenn remakes are unnecessary, because Pokémon XY doesn't take place at the same time period as FR/LG and the original RSE, which previous remakes have shown before. Other game companies care about their timeline connections, but it seems like only Nintendo cares little about their franchise's lore being ruined by retcons (see baby/altered formed Mario characters co-existing with the real characters in spin-offs).

Years
  • Timeline and Continuity are serious business in long-running franchises, both movies, shows, comics, and games, and how retcons tend to do more harm to the story than good (see Fairly Odd Parents and the Simpsons for example). This is another reason why Hoenn remakes are unnecessary, because Pokémon XY doesn't take place at the same time period as FR/LG and the original RSE, which previous remakes have shown before. Other game companies care about their timeline connections, but it seems like only Nintendo cares little about their franchise's lore being ruined by retcons (see baby/altered formed Mario characters co-existing with the real characters in spin-offs).
    While I know gamefreak can easily ignore the timeline and do whatever they want, I really hope they won't ignore it, I think it give the franchise much more depth and give us a lot more to discuss on.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Timeline and Continuity are serious business in long-running franchises, both movies, shows, comics, and games, and how retcons tend to do more harm to the story than good (see Fairly Odd Parents and the Simpsons for example). This is another reason why Hoenn remakes are unnecessary, because Pokémon XY doesn't take place at the same time period as FR/LG and the original RSE, which previous remakes have shown before. Other game companies care about their timeline connections, but it seems like only Nintendo cares little about their franchise's lore being ruined by retcons (see baby/altered formed Mario characters co-existing with the real characters in spin-offs).
    The timeline and continuity are certainly important....in things that actually have some focus on the story and/or lore. Storyline and lore has always taken a backseat to everything else in Pokemon. As much as I'd like Pokemon to have a good storyline, that'll most likely never happen (unfortunately), so the timeline/continuity isn't all that important to me. What I do care about is that the gameplay is good and that it has lots of good (post game) features.

Also, someone still needs to explain to me how FR/LG and R/S/E take place at the same time. I forgot about the Red Gyarados on Sinnoh TV thing, so I can see how Gens 2 and 4 take place at the same time, but as for Gens 1 and 3....

It's Game Freak that makes the games, btw, not Nintendo. Nintendo has almost nothing to do with the development of the games.

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2019
    Professor Oak is really bad at counting species is my main takeaway from playing these games for 15 years. I guess I should study more dusty tomes of Pokemon Lore in order to work out what Lucario's role in the Shadows Moses incident was judging by Solid Snake's appearance in Smash Brothers.

Last edited:
    Years
  • The timeline and continuity are certainly important....in things that actually have some focus on the story and/or lore. Storyline and lore has always taken a backseat to everything else in Pokemon. As much as I'd like Pokemon to have a good storyline, that'll most likely never happen (unfortunately), so the timeline/continuity isn't all that important to me. What I do care about is that the gameplay is good and that it has lots of good (post game) features.

Also, someone still needs to explain to me how FR/LG and R/S/E take place at the same time. I forgot about the Red Gyarados on Sinnoh TV thing, so I can see how Gens 2 and 4 take place at the same time, but as for Gens 1 and 3....

It's Game Freak that makes the games, btw, not Nintendo. Nintendo has almost nothing to do with the development of the games.

First, we have the tweet, that no matter how unoffcial it may seem, as long as matsumiya saying it, its a fact. Second, both the FrLg protagonist and the RSE protagonist go through the same events(meeting deoxys in the birth islands and meeting lugia and ho-oh in the navel rock).

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Second, both the FrLg protagonist and the RSE protagonist go through the same events(meeting deoxys in the birth islands and meeting lugia and ho-oh in the navel rock).
    Oh...goddamn my crappy knowledge of events/event Pokemon. >.<

So, we can say that Gens 1 and 3 and Gens 2 and 4 take place at the same time with Gen 5 coming after that...but when does X/Y take place in the timeline?

Years
  • Oh...goddamn my crappy knowledge of events/event Pokemon. >.<

So, we can say that Gens 1 and 3 and Gens 2 and 4 take place at the same time with Gen 5 coming after that...but when does X/Y take place in the timeline?

Once again we have the tweet, also one of the NPCs tell us that something happaning with team plasma in unova, which make sure that XY take place at the same time as BW or BW2

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Once again we have the tweet, also one of the NPCs tell us that something happaning with team plasma in unova, which make sure that XY take place at the same time as BW or BW2
    Man...how do I miss this stuff? Now I just look stupid. I still don't think that the timeline/continuity is a super-important part of the Pokemon franchise, but thank you for explaining to me how the timeline actually goes.

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2022
    X and Y take place at the same time as B2W2.

EDIT: Got ninja'd.

In either case, as there's a precedent for two separate times in a generation with the previous generation, these games will probably just stick about. As for how we'd explain the Mega Evolutions and Fairy type... well, if you think about it logically, Fairy type has always existed. And we have been told that there aren't many Mega Rings left.

Back