• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen The timeline effect on the games

Years
  • Man...how do I miss this stuff? Now I just look stupid. I still don't think that the timeline/continuity is a super-important part of the Pokemon franchise, but thank you for explaining to me how the timeline actually goes.

No problem, always happy to help(especially given the fact that I'm a timeline maniac lol).
    I know that GF can easily ignore the timeline, but like I said before:
    "I think it give the franchise much more depth and a lot more to talk about".

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    GF has made it clear that they care more about game mechanics than maintaining a consistent timeline.

For an example, Jasmine's Steel-type Gym. In GSC, she talks about the Steel-type being "newly discovered". However, in RSE and FRLG, there is a Steel-type, despite them taking place beforehand, with no mention of them not being known about beforehand.

Then, HGSS simply retcons Jasmine into talking about how powerful the Steel-type is.

XY, similarly, mentions the newly discovered Fairy-type. And, ORAS, despite taking place beforehand, will also include the Fairy-type, likely with no explanation. Same for Mega Evolutions.

Other examples would be Gen III's trading mechanics - specifically, the ability to trade directly from the main games to both Colosseum and XD, despite them taking place at different times.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I don't think it'll impact the games more than some references, and maybe back story into how Megas were uncovered in Kalos (and possibly brought to, or also uncovered in the Hoenn region). Perhaps Xerneas and Yvetal were in Hoenn at one point, or the explosion from the weapon sent "radiation"? as far as Hoenn. Or the people of Kalos met the people of Hoenn much like how they linked Johto and Sinnoh at the Sinjoh ruins.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    All they need is a time capsule like Gold/Silver/Crystal had and they're set.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
  • Once again we have the tweet, also one of the NPCs tell us that something happaning with team plasma in unova, which make sure that XY take place at the same time as BW or BW2

This is what Bulbapedia says on the subject (and I'm pretty sure that's the way the NPC put it in the French version as well) :

A male Pokémon Breeder in the Magenta Plaza Pokémon Center mentions Team Plasma "making news a while back in the Unova region"

So, no, X&Y takes place after B/W/B2/W2.

(source)

I don't know what to think about ORAS and the timeline. What they seemed to do so far, ever since they rebooted everything in Gen 3, was releasing games in more or less chronological order. We had sequels, alternate versions, and adventures that took place more or less at the same time (I say "more or less" because DPPt and HGSS couldn't possible have happened at exactly the same time, because of Jasmine being in both games) , but no prequels.
    I still kinda hope the remakes won't be retcons, but more of "history repeats itself"-type stories, but oh well, I can dream all I want.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I may be the minority here, but I don't feel like Game Freak gives the time line much priority when developing games. Now, I may be wrong, but what I'm saying is if they wanted to add a feature that might potentially clash with the time line, I think they would keep the feature. Sure, some things should be kept within logical boundaries, but it's not a strict following. Thus, they could do anything with ORAS in this respect - I'm excited to see what it'll be. :]

Years
  • GF has made it clear that they care more about game mechanics than maintaining a consistent timeline.

For an example, Jasmine's Steel-type Gym. In GSC, she talks about the Steel-type being "newly discovered". However, in RSE and FRLG, there is a Steel-type, despite them taking place beforehand, with no mention of them not being known about beforehand.

Then, HGSS simply retcons Jasmine into talking about how powerful the Steel-type is.

XY, similarly, mentions the newly discovered Fairy-type. And, ORAS, despite taking place beforehand, will also include the Fairy-type, likely with no explanation. Same for Mega Evolutions.

Other examples would be Gen III's trading mechanics - specifically, the ability to trade directly from the main games to both Colosseum and XD, despite them taking place at different times.
    While I agree with about the mechanics(and I'm fine with, it will be weird suddenly going back to gen 5 mechanics), there still things that doesn't to paradoxal and can still fit the story. For the example the mega evos-even though they are an uncovered subject, it does known for few years, so maybe ORAS will be where it started.

And btw-how you where colosseum and XD take place in the timeline

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • While I know gamefreak can easily ignore the timeline and do whatever they want, I really hope they won't ignore it, I think it give the franchise much more depth and give us a lot more to discuss on.

I think they will do whatever they want. Honestly, while I agree it's fun to have things in order, I don't think it matters that much. Zelda's timeline is more important in the span of the games as they actually seem to connect to each other, and it was clear Nintendo didn't have an idea of the order until fans were begging them for an answer. Following that they released their official timeline, which included a split timeline, so that in order to play the games in canon order you had to actually lose while fighting a final boss. That's pretty dumb. So I think it doesn't really matter to publishers/developers involved with Nintendo unless the games are direct sequels.

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
    Years
  • Here's my theory.
    R/B/Y/FR/LG - G/S/C/HG/SS - R/S/E/OR/AS - D/P/Pt - B/W - B2/W2 and X/Y.

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    While I agree with about the mechanics(and I'm fine with, it will be weird suddenly going back to gen 5 mechanics), there still things that doesn't to paradoxal and can still fit the story. For the example the mega evos-even though they are an uncovered subject, it does known for few years, so maybe ORAS will be where it started.

And btw-how you where colosseum and XD take place in the timeline

RSE FRLG can directly trade with both Colosseum and XD, despite no mentions of time machines in any game, which doesn't make any sense. XD establishes that it takes place five years after the events of Colosseum - RSE FRLG can't take place simultaneously with both Colosseum and XD, because the events of Colosseum and XD occur at different times.

We're talking about a system in which you can, without any mention of time travel, catch a Pokemon in Orre, trade it, and then trade it back to Orre, five years in the past.

The specifics of where Colosseum and XD take place don't really matter - it doesn't make sense no matter where it is.

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
    Years
  • RSE FRLG can directly trade with both Colosseum and XD, despite no mentions of time machines in any game, which doesn't make any sense. XD establishes that it takes place five years after the events of Colosseum - RSE FRLG can't take place simultaneously with both Colosseum and XD, because the events of Colosseum and XD occur at different times.

We're talking about a system in which you can, without any mention of time travel, catch a Pokemon in Orre, trade it, and then trade it back to Orre, five years in the past.

The specifics of where Colosseum and XD take place don't really matter - it doesn't make sense no matter where it is.

I have a feeling R/S/E took place after G/S/C/HG/SS and before or around the same time as DPPt as there are references in DPPt to R/S/E happening in the past. Or G/S/C/HG/SS and R/S/E happened simultaneously. Because Steven is STILL Champion when HG/SS occur, as mentioned in the games.

Last edited:

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I have a feeling R/S/E took place after G/S/C/HG/SS and before or around the same time as DPPt as there are references in DPPt to R/S/E happening in the past. Or G/S/C/HG/SS and R/S/E happened simultaneously. Because Steven is STILL Champion when HG/SS occur, as mentioned in the games.

The thing is though, since these references don't really impact the game unless the Champion itself visits the region and states they're the Champion, it could always be inconsistencies. Especially with the rate that they are producing mainstream PKMN games now, it's highly implied they have different teams working on different games. Although they obviously have supervisors and a backbone, I'm pretty sure there isn't someone who checks what literally every NPC has to say. So we could never know if its 100% or not unless it's actually confirmed.

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
  • Because Steven is STILL Champion when HG/SS occur, as mentioned in the games.

If this is the case, then Emerald doesnt take place with Ruby and Sapphire! The problem is that R,S, and E are simultaneously parallel to each other in terms of time. Now, I am not really that sure if Gen I and Gen III took place at the same time, we don't know. The only thing I could think up to tie FRLG to RSE is the Sevii Islands sidequest, but it could aswell be a time capsule for all we know.

I know the timeline is whack as hell but I'm guessing that GF will probably pull off some retconning in ORAS like they did in RSE when the Steel and Dark types were introduced whereas FRLG was = to RSE in terms of time.

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    If this is the case, then Emerald doesnt take place with Ruby and Sapphire! The problem is that R,S, and E are simultaneously parallel to each other in terms of time. Now, I am not really that sure if Gen I and Gen III took place at the same time, we don't know. The only thing I could think up to tie FRLG to RSE is the Sevii Islands sidequest, but it could aswell be a time capsule for all we know.

I know the timeline is whack as hell but I'm guessing that GF will probably pull off some retconning in ORAS like they did in RSE when the Steel and Dark types were introduced whereas FRLG was = to RSE in terms of time.

Does it state he's acting champion, I mean technically HG/SS had appearances by 5 champions
    Blue/Red/Lance/Stephen/Cynthia .

Sorry quoted the wrong person

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • It's Steven xD Second person I see call Steven, Stephen...is it some kind of meme?

I think they'll keep the remakes where they are in the timeline. I think they'll imply retcon the mechanics but keep these games' event happening before B2W2.

Back