• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen the truck my theory

cal.kriptic

Emulation Freak
Years
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 5, 2008
    Why are people so eager to dismiss any sort of speculation about this you seem to pounce on it so quickly, its not hurting any one by speculation about this. I'm going to take a look at this in the game file there maybe something about this after all.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • I remember someone telling me several years back, when R&B came out, that there was a truck above the S.S. Anne, but he had missed it so he wanted me to see if it really existed and his theories on it. He said that you had to have a party of Pokemon that knew Strength and make them all use Strength on the truck and it would move; it would have a staircase under it and would lead to the grass on the right side of Pallet Town and Mew would appear there. I tried it and it didn't work. Then he was like "I read somewhere that it doesn't work on Red or Blue... it's Yellow Version that it works on!" I didn't have Yellow Version then... I got it later and tried... nothing happend.

I like easter eggs, but I don't like wandering forever about something that does nothing. I don't even have Red, Blue, or Yellow Version anymore. It makes sence that it takes things to the ship, rather than it just setting there.

Many strange things were told about R&B. Many people believed that PokeGods lived in the games, saying that you could obtain Pikablu, Houou, Togepi, Yoshi, Rainer, etc. One that sticks out most in my mind is the one about the Mist Stone & Houou. I once read that if you beat the e4 so many times (500 or so) that you could go to Bill's house and he would give you keys to his garden. In his garden you would find a Mist Stone. If you were to use the Mist Stone on a Hitmonchan, it would evolve into Houou... which I found very strange. I also read before that if you nickname MissingNo. or ?'M? "MEW" and trade it, it would evolve into Mew.

Most of these things are false, things that fans made up, though wishing they were true.

Ársa

k.
    Years
  • It is nice to think that there is a reason for the truck, but I am just as non-plussed as everyone else as for what it really is for. I am leaning towards the person who said something about it being there to load the cargo for the ship. You may ask why nintendo would bother, but then I can counter saying why would nintendo bother with the Dude in Viridian with the Machop, or all of those items that you can get, that have absolutely no impact on the game, or buildings in R/B/Y that have no doors?

I now ask you, that if these houses with no doors are in the game, does that mean that these were put in my Nintendo as part of some side-quest, but decided against it? Or perhaps, they are just there to fill in space.

I put to you that the reason the truck has become so popular is because of it's unique location. Nothing more, nothing less.

Regards,

~M51

ShadowTails

I'm working on a better Avatar
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Mar 7, 2015
    I honestly think you guys blow things way out of proportion... I can't believe anyone thought that using STRENGTH on a truck was going to make a Pokemon appear... The truck, is just a sprite, with no events attached to it, no programming, it's just a sprite... MEW WAS NEVER A PART OF IT... And I think if Mew was important I doubt anyone at Gamefreak would've said "Hey, let's stuff him under a Truck!" Mew was basically the first Gimmick that is the Event Pokemon, which has now evolved into having to go to an event just to get some stupid Legendary...

Oh, and I did at one point have 150 Pokemon, without cheating, but then I was stupid and tried to trade Missingno. to Yellow... deleted my game data and messed the colors up till I turned it back on... I remember crying...

Harper

Crazy guy with red hair...
    Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2009
    Hey dont diss the truck man! it has the details for the next pokemon game underneeth it, and the entry password to Area 51. If only we could find a way to move it!!
    Maybe if i tried surf surf strenght then cut?....
    no i've already tried that hmmm...
    ok how bout cut surf cut cut strength... still dosnt work... hmmm...

Improfane

hiatus
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2010
    According to this youtube video it is in Fire Red/Leaf Green:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD8ByEITQkg

Note how the truck is still there and that the player picks up an item. This could reinforce the idea that it really was used to supply the ship.

I wonder, do any of the telescopes talk about the SS Anne? Like the ones between Fuchsia and Lavender?

The reason why this Pokemon truck is speculated? The pokemon games are very light on sprites! Unlike other RPGs Pokemon isn't noisy graphically. Games like chrono trigger or Final Fantasy, you will see things everywhere that do nothing: this can be books, rugs, boxes, crates - anything. In Pokemon, you tend to think something will do something because the game is relatively bare!

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    FYI, the truck isn't a sprite; it's actually part of the background. (A way to confirm this is to play in a CGB/AGB with a non-b&w palette -- notice how the truck is the same color as the ground and not the player.)

Rosefrost

Alright, who put that there?!
    Years
  • According to this youtube video it is in Fire Red/Leaf Green:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD8ByEITQkg

Note how the truck is still there and that the player picks up an item. This could reinforce the idea that it really was used to supply the ship.

I wonder, do any of the telescopes talk about the SS Anne? Like the ones between Fuchsia and Lavender?

The reason why this Pokemon truck is speculated? The pokemon games are very light on sprites! Unlike other RPGs Pokemon isn't noisy graphically. Games like chrono trigger or Final Fantasy, you will see things everywhere that do nothing: this can be books, rugs, boxes, crates - anything. In Pokemon, you tend to think something will do something because the game is relatively bare!
    I knew it was in FR/LG. (After I found out about the truck.) That's whats weird about it. I mean, why would they put it in red and blue, do nothing with it, and then put it in FR/LG later? I mean, would they really go to all that trouble for an Easter egg or joke? I know the truck doesn't do anything, but why even bother to put it there?...

Harper

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2009
    And also. i'm thinking it's a sprite in fr/lg rite, even if it isnt in r/b/y. why make a sprite and do nothing with it. it's not like they used the truck sprite in any other part of the game. it's the only truck in the WHOLE game. that puzzles me a bit...

Harper

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2009
    it was a pretty stupid easter egg then...

Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2008
    true

but it did make us do three pages worth of a thread?? that sounds like a devious easter egg to me

Harper

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2009
    Hmpf still... 3 pages but still no anser... why wont pokemon just make some big presidential anouncement. like "under the truck there is a stairway to cerulean city's burger king"
    then we'd all be happy

Cursed

Godking Ragnarok CXVII
    Years
  • As much as I would like to believe the video Cal.kripitic posted, I think that the person's movie is actually a romhack, and I have a good question: Why go through all that trouble to waste other people's times? The answer: Nintendo is just using the mystery of the truck as a diversion! Nintendo's using the truck to make people not find Mews so they can amass an army and decimate Seattle! Either that or dress them up and use them as tax deductions.

Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2008
    uhm..

u know..

sometimes you gotta choose between what is right - and what is easy...

anyways.. the point is.. the truck was an easter egg; put there souly so us sad people could speculate about it.. to this very day..

so i kept apployin the ointment, and eventually, the rash went away

Back