• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The true love stuff is a lie.

Silais

That useless reptile
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
I can't speak about what it's like to be a woman. However, as a slightly effeminate gay man, had I not sought out love I very well may not have met my boyfriend of 4 years (5 as of this coming February). I don't regret for an instant being the chaser, but I probably would have regretted it had I been the one wanting to be chased. There's something to be said about going after what you want. It's not a masculine thing or a feminine thing... it's a human thing.

It's embarrassing to be a woman and be forced to seek out love instead of have it seek you out. Maybe I was raised differently, but it makes me feel like less of a woman when no one takes any interest in me whatsoever.

Silais, attractiveness is relative and largely about how you perceive and carry yourself. The fact that so far, in your 19 years (which is a short amount of time believe me) you have never been "pursued" or given a compliment is the definition of anecdotal. Beauty in media might have constants, but beauty as we define it is always up to personal taste and varies largely from person to person.

For example, I think Megan Fox is ridiculously plain, borderline unattractive. People call me crazy because I don't follow the norm which is to consider her drop-dead gorgeous, but the reality is I'm just honest and not following a trend. I have different tastes. This is the case with everyone ever.

There's always going to be someone you like who your friends might not think is attractive and vice versa. Likewise, you yourself have no confidence (I know you say it's just a "fact" but it really is just your perception) but someone else might find you the prettiest girl in the world to them.

You need to be happy with who you are. The weight thing, by the way, is entirely in your hands unless you have a thyroid problem or something of that nature. It is something that can be changed, and thus you cannot include it in the statement that you are "not attractive" as if you have no control over it. Appreciate what you have and how much better you have it than others, and I promise you'll be able to find what you're looking for.

I've been trying to lose weight for 12 years. I am 19 years old. I have been to the doctor several times, but I've never received any sort of help for my weight other than "you should just be less stressed out" or "you must be having trouble with your friends". Nothing of value or substance.

There's really not much I have to appreciate. The only positives about me physically would be my hair length and my eye color, to be honest. If someone thinks of me as pretty, why would they not show interest? In college, it seems like everyone has some form of courage and self-absorption and if they really thought a girl was attractive, they'd say so. I can't remember the last time I received a compliment about my appearance at all.

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
Years
  • Age 35
  • US
  • Seen Aug 7, 2016
I've been trying to lose weight for 12 years. I am 19 years old. I have been to the doctor several times, but I've never received any sort of help for my weight other than "you should just be less stressed out" or "you must be having trouble with your friends". Nothing of value or substance.

There's really not much I have to appreciate. The only positives about me physically would be my hair length and my eye color, to be honest. If someone thinks of me as pretty, why would they not show interest? In college, it seems like everyone has some form of courage and self-absorption and if they really thought a girl was attractive, they'd say so. I can't remember the last time I received a compliment about my appearance at all.

I hope some tough love won't offend you, I mean this all of this in the best possible way.

This mentality right here -- "There's not really much I have to appreciate" -- is a big reason for why a person wouldn't want to approach you. We are wired to appreciate and admire confidence, it is attractive and appeals to our nature. Moreover, it catches your attention: we are more apt to notice a person who walks like they're the hottest thing on earth rather than someone who sits meekly in the background wondering why no one ever talks to them. I have seen this work on people who do not fit into any socially agreed upon "standard" of attractiveness and they manage to turn heads all the time. The results may not have always been positive, but they at least are getting results.

On the other hand, an air of discontentment and an attitude of self-pity are considered largely undesirable traits. People spend a lot of time trying to get over their own insecurities, they don't want to have to take care of someone else's. Not being happy with how you look or your situation will show on your face, posture, movements, etc...and you are more likely to be passed over rather than chatted up.

This is all coming from a guy who until a few years ago had severe self-image issues and loads of insecurities about basically every aspect of his appearance and personality. That version of me wouldn't even be able to type or post on forums like this without triple/quadruple-guessing my words and how badly people would think of me for typing them. A lot has changed since then since I accept that hey, this is the hand I've been dealt. It might not be the most awesome hand in the world, but I'll be damned if I don't play it the best way I can. What came with this was realising that I actually wasn't a troll in man form and that girls actually could find me attractive. That people did not scrutinise every single word I said and some people might actually agree with me and like my mentality. It was all about deliverance and self-acceptance.

This is going to sound like some kind of Lifetime movie line, but a mentality shift will literally change your life. I promise you that. Be happy with who you are, and remember that unless you're into polyamorous relationships or something (haha), you only need one person to think you're pretty -- you're telling me at 19 that's just never gonna happen?

Come on :)

P.S. I dunno if you have already since you didn't mention it, but have you attempted any sort of physical activity/eating habit changes? Stress is something but I find that more often than not it's usually the food we eat under stress rather than the stress itself that has a negative impact on us (when I'm mad I like comfort food, for example, takes a lot of willpower to resist that :p)

Years
A lot has changed since then since I accept that hey, this is the hand I've been dealt. It might not be the most awesome hand in the world, but I'll be damned if I don't play it the best way I can. What came with this was realising that I actually wasn't a troll in man form and that girls actually could find me attractive. That people did not scrutinise every single word I said and some people might actually agree with me and like my mentality. It was all about deliverance and self-acceptance.

This, so much. You're probably not the super freaking awesome-sauce person you wished you were. When you cease to see your "limitations" as things holding you back but as the way things are, you will be literally liberated. At least that's what happened to mr oxymoron and me here.

Haha. When was the last time I gave a stranger a compliment about her appearance? Ah well, guys like us don't count eh? You describe yourself as "somewhat overweight" and that's not very overweight. Also, you're dating someone. Nuff sed.

I'm simply stating a fact. It's not an insecurity, it's just something that cannot be argued by normal people. I have never received a compliment about my beauty, never had guys flirt with me, was never asked out. I had to pursue the two boyfriends I've had in my lifetime. THAT speaks volumes.

It's the attitude that counts. My ex-girlfriend was objectively in your position. She would never, and I can't even imagine her, talk about herself - and society - like that. Whether you like it or not, love is 99% of that which is unobservable or unmeasurable - and of course we can all beg to differ as to just what we can't observe or measure.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
This mentality right here -- "There's not really much I have to appreciate" -- is a big reason for why a person wouldn't want to approach you.

This, right here. It's been proven that confidence is the thing humans are attracted to the most. It's all about the alpha mentality - those with more confidence will be better parents/partners/leaders/etc.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jul 23, 2015
What is true love? I think you're mixing true love with other things, OP.

I don't disagree with others when they say love is an emotion or love is brain activity, etc. But it is far more than that. Love is a continuous action (and that is the main thing -- love, as an action) through the expression of patience, kindness, compassion, not being envious...It is not prideful -- it puts others before and even above yourself (sound familiar?); it is selfless. True love is forgiving of those who wronged you and loving the unlovable. It is ultimately a commitment to someone through your selfless actions and not expecting anything back. It is loyalty. It involves self control. It is the realization that neither you nor anyone else in this world deserve anything, anyone in this world and yet you give generously, care always. True love is sacrificing yourself to others to the point of death. (Note: I ain't encouraging you to commit suicide, don't go there :P)

If love hurts then it is either tough love like discipline or it is not love at all. If the love you are speaking of hurts in a way that you know is not because someone cares for you and wishes to see you grow, then it usually involves at least one of the opposite words that I described, like impatience, selfishness (which lust usually fall under the category of), arrogance, etc. That is not love at all.

Romantic and emotional love are based on feelings. Those will waver because its foundation is laid upon shaky grounds -- your feelings. Because your feelings and your emotions will always fluctuate. Having a good day? "I love you." Having a bad day? "I hate you."

True love is more..what's the word...your will. Your volition. And let me repeat, your action. You love because it is the right thing to do. That is true love. And that love is worth it.

One more thing, your emotions and feelings should not be the reason you love but the result of your love.

Don't give up on true love yet when you've possibly been following a false view of love this whole time.

/endmyphilosophyoflove

Last edited:
Back