• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ultimate Turnoff - What You Don't Want to See in a Hack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Me?

-Spelling and grammar errors. I mean, if you are going to make a full hack, I would think that you would notice these things. ADN T41KING LEIK TIHS IS JUST UNASSEPTALBE. Seriously.
    -Unoriginal Storylines. Story is one of my favorite things about a hack, also, I dispise unoriginality. Remakes (WHEN DONE RIGHT) are the only exception.
    -Fading plots. If you're gonna make a EPIC, AWESOME plot and story, keep it strong till the end. Don't let it fade too much.
    -Gyms when it makes no sense. If the player is gonna go through gyms, then why? No point, no good.
    -Lack of reasons. This is an extension of my previous point, but it applys to everything. I mean, even one or two lines of dialouge explaining something relevant would suffice.

That's it.

Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2009
    The lack of a decent difficulty level. I know it must be difficult to estimate Pokemon levels for the player at a certain point in the game, but it should be fairly obvious that the first gym leader should not be carrying level 8 or level 30 Pokemon. If a game is overly difficult, or not challenging enough, what fun is there in playing it? Though admittedly, I'd prefer a game to be hard than easy.

Xatoku

Game Developer
    Years
  • When people just take all the so called "cool" characters from the Anime,Games and Mangas and make this fake story about them. I know it's creative butit's just one of my pet peeves. It's as simple as just changing the sprite. Why not just use your own character instead of taking them from Satoshi? Don't take this too personally fellow hackers! This is just a pet peeve of mine.

Wi-fi Battler

currently in la la land.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 19, 2011
    hmm...what makes me hate hack? well first off...

*use of ANY fakemon. Even good ones. i want to see the offical pokemon not two pokemon combined.

*The first gym leader using pokemon under level 10 or over 20. i want a tough game. tougher game= More Training = more time playing it

*Grammer. I don't want to tack to someone who goes like "Sup dude! ill give you pokemon if you get somethin 4 me!"

That is pretty much it

xSeduction

Water Pokemon Fanatic
    Years
  • *Grammer. I don't want to tack to someone who goes like "Sup dude! ill give you pokemon if you get somethin 4 me!"

Lol. Yet another "Grammer" fiend.

Anyways, my peeves are:
    - Scripting. Scripting, scripting scripting. For the love of God, people. Your storyline must make sense. If you're a part of Team Rocket in your hack, have a reason for battling gym leaders or don't battle them at all.
    - Grammar and language. Once again, I hate seeing internet slang and bad grammar used in a hack. This isn't AOL Instant Messenger, people. Also, I hate how many great hacks are made by Spanish people. I've only taken one course of Spanish so far, I don't know how to read all that nonsense! And even if they do get someone to translate the story, it doesn't make sense anyways. Translation is so terrible these days.
    - Level difficulty. If a hack proves to be too hard or too easy in the beginning, I lose interest instantly.

Korronensu

Scrap Punk
    Years
    • Seen Feb 28, 2010
    The ultimate turnoff for me in a hack is the traditional pokemon story which is, :You are now of age to go out on your own, so here's your starter, go defeat some bad guys, complete my dang pokedex, don't let your rival get the best of you, and after beating all the gyms, take on the elite four.

That's all fine and well for the original pokemon games, but hacks... just aren't worth my while if they are just another pokemon game. What I like to see in hacks is a whole new game as if nothing of pokemon existed except the pokemon themselves.

I never even understood the point of the whole trainer, gym leader, Elite Four + Champion deal. Why not have some REAL conflict? I loved the fact that half of FR/LG was revolved around taking on team Rocket, but It's dang hard to be motivated just to go off and become "The best there is" and "Gotta catch em all" is a failed motivator as well.

Saving the universe in D/P was a nice touch to an old franchise, but since it was something you did before becoming the best, it felt kinda odd. Like... why the heck don't the Elite Four go around doing jobs like that? If a game is gonna include the trainers/gym leaders/elite four thing, those should be a small part of the path, and defeating the bad guys should be the final proving point... the final achievement....

Anyways, I rambled quite a bit just to hammer in the depth of my ultimate turnoff...

Aside from the above stated, I despise misspelling, poor grammar, half-assed fakemon designs, and predictable stories.

PocketPika

Quiet Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2011
    For me it would be the whole "legendary pokemon is being kidnapped/harnessed by a bad group" storyline.
    It just isn't very interesting.

Years
    • Age 29
    • USA
    • Seen Aug 22, 2010
    Well, I've played many hacks, and they've all inspired me with ideas for my first hack.

But, they have also given me ideas on what NOT to do with my first hack.

For starters, Pokemon Ruby Destiny: Reign of Legends, was an amazing hack! It had so many cool features, epic boss battles, and fun gameplay. But, it was like Ruby/Sapphire too much. It seemed like playing through Ruby with a different plot, and a slightly different world. But overall, it was a great hack.

My MAJOR turn-off in a hack, is Grammar. I am a Grammar Nazi, and as many other people have said, we don't like to see people giving your items or pokemon for random reasons, especially in text talk. "OMG HERE HERE HERE!!!!! THIZ IZ LEGEND POKE CALL ARCEUS HE THE MOST 1337 POKE HE HAS ALL TYPES LOL! TAKE HIM NOWWWWWW HE COOL BUT IT A SECRET!" That just kills me when I see crap like that.

Another Major turn-off in a hack for me, is what the post above me said. "
    For me it would be the whole "legendary pokemon is being kidnapped/harnessed by a bad group" storyline. It just isn't very interesting" I completely agree! That's the same old storyline. In my hack, I am revolving it around Deoxys, but that's not the evil team's main motive for the whole story. That's their final plan. Their other plans are leading up to that, but the whole story isn't focused around that. I can't stand it when the plot is just "Beat 7 badges, go beat the evil team and catch the legendary, then get badge 8 and beat the E4. Go catch some secret Legendaries, and you're done."

Another thing is that I can't stand the whole 8 badges/E4 deal. There needs to be some creativity in that area of the plot. I'm thinking about taking them out, and finding another way around that issue.

Lastly, HMs. I really want to find a way to script Key Items, to make them do the same thing as an HM. Such as an axe for Cut, or a small Paddle Boat/Raft for Surf. I really think that would add creativity to the hack.

That's all of my complaints. I hope that some of you share the same opinions as me.

Poketto-Monsuta

Pika Pii
    Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2012
    I can't stand hacks that give you a legendary as a starter. It takes the fun away.
    Nor can I stand hacks that all they do is change the character sprites but its the same story.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • If the thread has spelling/grammar errors, that might well be excusable; the author may have been rushing the thread. What really annoys me, though, is when the demo screenshots (supposedly the hacker's best work) are filled with dumb mistakes, like simple spelling errors, no accent over the 'e' in Pokemon, capitalisation errors etc. Really, it just shows me you don't care.

Kyouya

"baddest of the bad"
    Years
  • remakes-why would i want to play a remake of red(just an example) when i can just go into my game trunk and play the original

Devamps
    example:pearl for gba,or ruby for gb
    -same reason as remakes

using the maps that were in the game
    -pretty self explanitory

bad grammar
    - who wants to have to decode
    htsi lilw eb oruy ifsrt okpmeno

overuse of fakemon
    -the reason i played pokemon is because of the pokemon dont replace all 386 of them and add 25 to the empty slots

people handing out pokemon
    -when i talk to a npc i dont want them to say take this darkrai

No choice of pokemon
    -when i go and pick my starter i want to pick

3dd13

Leader of the Fallen
    Years
  • my turnoff...

i would say fakemon.
    also, music is a major part in a hack to me, so like in shiney gold where zels music crackles, thats a turnoff.
    theres also tiles. if it looks cheap and crappy (like the mohogany gyms pokeball statue in liquid crystal) then its a turnoff.
    and last, if you are doing a remake, dont use revamps unless the look realy modernized. i mean, come on... its the gba!!! you can do better at making it look modern.....

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2019
    Grammar.
    Also, I absolutely HATE IT when the text goes out of the text box!

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2014
    I actually quite like Fakemon (provided they are decently designed and fairly balanced). It adds a lot of surprise and mystery to the game. I dream of making a 386 fakemon hack, too bad I can't draw my ideas.

What pisses me off is when they remove the wrong original pokemon. I stopped playing pokemon ruby destiny when I found out that golbat wouldn't evolve. They should have removed the entire evolutionary line if they were going to do that.

Also I hate legendaries. There's far too many of them, and some hacks place too much priority on them. Ruby destiny found it necessary to include every single one. There are too many legendaries to fit into a single pokemon box. I miss the days of just mewtwo, mew and the birds. In fact, in my personal hack (where I make minor changes that I believe in, such as pokemon types and stats), most legendaries have been neutered (eg. the GSC trio are evolutions of eeveelutions, moltres is a common pokemon in MT pyre with nerfed stats, articuno and regice in shoal cave etc.). I hope in the 5th generation they severely cut back on new legendaries, and bring back the old ones (hopefully no more new event legendaries).

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2009
    i hate warps that are messed up.... on this dude's hack i walked into a big building and appeared in Prof.Birch's place... i mean what is with that?

Roxasabridged

Lucariowner
    Years
  • Game breaking glitches in 'finished' hacks.

Ever heard of a Pokemon Red/Blue hack called Pokemon Neo? It had a 'sibling' game which was the same as the other except you played as the rival.
    In both, the first 2 rival battles had Gary using an uber Missingno. In one of the games, Charmander and Squirtle crashed the game if you chose them, forcing you to use Bulbasaur, and Brock's pokemon were level 250+

I gave up here.

Otter

Reminiscing Every Now and Then
    Years
  • This has been mentioned a lot, but unoriginal storylines really annoy me. Especially with so many hacks around, it pretty much becomes crucial for your plot to steer away from anything that has to do with "coming of age", "catching them all", etc. Apart from that, lack of reason and explanation for events, motives of characters, and stuff like that which NEEDS a legit explanation.

Also yes, lots of grammar mistakes. Bad.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back