• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ultimate Turnoff - What You Don't Want to See in a Hack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fendaril

Novice Mario 64 hacker.
Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2010
    This for me is a super turnoff. I go into a thread that has 20 pictures in it of the new "hack" being released. Their is no beta for over a year and oh look..... the original person of the thread decided that he wants to quit the hack. What was the point of getting everyone excited. Seriously if your going to make it to the hack showcase don't be a lazy jerk about it.

Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2008
    i hate it when people change a town and then when your playing it, characters walk through the buildings. it looks really shotty.

JacobGRocks

Pokemon Master
    Years
  • i dont want to see fakemon (Mewthree, Pikablu, etc.), going too far from Nintendo's standards, and minor edits.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    This for me is a super turnoff. I go into a thread that has 20 pictures in it of the new "hack" being released. Their is no beta for over a year and oh look..... the original person of the thread decided that he wants to quit the hack. What was the point of getting everyone excited. Seriously if your going to make it to the hack showcase don't be a lazy jerk about it.

You are going a bit over the line at the end. Some people sincerely just lose the motivation for their hacks after such a long time. You can't blame them at all, you don't even understand anything from their perspective.

Geeked

Pokemon Crimson Version
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2012
    I never want to see another G/C/S remake, My personal opinion is there will never be a remake like SG, and alot of people want to remake it G/S/C, and have there hack as popular as SG...

mechu95

Hack Guy
    Years
  • i dont want to see fakemon (Mewthree, Pikablu, etc.), going too far from Nintendo's standards, and minor edits.

I agree with that, but not fully. Mewthree, Porygon 3 and a half, Lameking and stuff...that utter crap. But I don't agree if it's Pokemon you made up yourself totally - for example based off a hawk, a snail, or a wildcat, even a wildebeest. I don't mind that, and TBH I'm making a hack full of Fakemon like that.

What I really don't wanna see is the copying of other people's stories and maps. Thats's just plain sad. Better to make a crap story and glitchy map, and then improve it, rather than steal.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    I never want to see another G/C/S remake, My personal opinion is there will never be a remake like SG, and alot of people want to remake it G/S/C, and have there hack as popular as SG...

Yeah, you're pretty much right. It would get boring..But if they added more features and exciting stuff it would be exciting. And you're also making a remake aren't you?

Joey the Cockroach

Dino Crisis will never die!!!!
    Years
  • This for me is a super turnoff. I go into a thread that has 20 pictures in it of the new "hack" being released. Their is no beta for over a year and oh look..... the original person of the thread decided that he wants to quit the hack. What was the point of getting everyone excited. Seriously if your going to make it to the hack showcase don't be a lazy jerk about it.

I would have to agree with that. sometimes that does happen, where it looks good and then they scrap the idea.

And as for first time hackers, i am a first time hacker, give the guys the experience they need. we were all first time hackers, so there is no need to say that first time hackers dont deserve to hack or give them lip. Once you experience something, you learn from it, and become better at it. give everyone a chance.

Nalesnik

My mom thinks I'm cool
    Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2008
    biggest turn off for me (like other ppl have already suggested) is unoriginal story. (A great story has the power to suck me, even if other aspects of the hack are sub-par) Also I'm not too fond of bland, boring maps. Glitches are ok with me, as long as they aren't too annoying or game-breaking.

No-Name

Watever
    Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2009
    What really pisses me off is a hack that only uses TOOLS!!
    I can't really say that people need to hex edit everything,but I hate the amount of new tools coming in.
    Well,for GB\GBC hacks,I really don't care,they do need to popularise
    But for GBA,there is a BIG amount of tools.
    Come on,no more tools please!!!!!!!
    There are so many tools now that anyone can do anything
    Now all they need to care about is the GRAPHICS!!!
    Come on now,all we need is a trainer editor,graphics editor,pallette editor,sprite editor,mapper,and scripter.
    Now there are tools to make a Shiny Routine,Title Screen Cry,AUTOMATIC SCRIPTER GRRR,Some Rom Bases.
    An example of a hack with only tool uses is RRROL ~RR

Ghost

[b][color=orange]ツ[/color][color=teal][i]In the Ma
    Years
  • What really pisses me off is a hack that only uses TOOLS!!
    I can't really say that people need to hex edit everything,but I hate the amount of new tools coming in.
    Well,for GB\GBC hacks,I really don't care,they do need to popularise
    But for GBA,there is a BIG amount of tools.
    Come on,no more tools please!!!!!!!
    There are so many tools now that anyone can do anything
    Now all they need to care about is the GRAPHICS!!!
    Come on now,all we need is a trainer editor,graphics editor,pallette editor,sprite editor,mapper,and scripter.
    Now there are tools to make a Shiny Routine,Title Screen Cry,AUTOMATIC SCRIPTER GRRR,Some Rom Bases.
    An example of a hack with only tool uses is RRROL ~RR

Don't say which hacks are bad in public!
    That will cause trouble you know.
    RR is alright.

I think I have already replied here.
    I really hate when someone thinks he's teh gratist haxor of all!!

Hat?

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2008
    RR is alright.

I don't like that kind of personality, people who think only they make the best hack/s, but some of them actually are good/excellent at making hacks. Some though are saying they're better than they are.

And I agree with the large amount of 3rd gen tools thing, a little bit, maybe 3rd gen hackers could do with organizing all their tools and documents in a beginner-advanced fashion, and not uneccessarily make things that acheive the same thing.
    To make sure beginning hackers don't get into bad habits or just get confused and give up.

Maybe some of them who don't use a hex editor should give it a try too, as it allows more control (which is why it's the classic rom hacking tool).

No-Name

Watever
    Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2009
    RR is alright.

Well,I hate it when they think there the best hackers and just use tools.
    HEX editing ain't that HARD!!

himowa

Buy one get one free
    Years
  • biggest turn off for me (like other ppl have already suggested) is unoriginal story. (A great story has the power to suck me, even if other aspects of the hack are sub-par) Also I'm not too fond of bland, boring maps. Glitches are ok with me, as long as they aren't too annoying or game-breaking.

Same here! x.x I like to see hacks that try to break away from "OMG! team rocket/magma/aqua/galaxy/other are trying to do _____ using (legendarypokemon)'s power D<"

It gets old, even in the original nintendo games. Or if you do have a team make a twist, like your rival joins the team or you have to go undercover and pose as grunt to foil their plans. Something different, y'know?

Years
  • i wont play a game if it has fakemon init. it just doesnt seem right to me. i also hate spelling mistakes.
    and i dont like it when authors abandon their projects after so much anticipation

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2009
    I love fakemon the most, if a hack has only original pokemon, there is no element of surprise what it's going to evolve, but I hate it if fakemon only has different sprite, but same stats/moveset and everything.

Years
    • Seen Jun 18, 2008
    If I may ask a question....

Does "Fakemon" refer to the use of playoffs of Nintendo Pokèmon (Mewthree, Pikablu) or does it refer to made-up Pokèmon (like those that I spend several hours designing)?

'Cause I'll probably be mad if no one likes my made-up ones...

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Fakemon refers to any Pokémon not made by Gamefreak. But don't worry, a lot of people do like new Pokémon.
    You won't see those people posting about it here, because why would they post it in a thread titled "What you don't want to see in a hack"?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back