• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ultimate Turnoff - What You Don't Want to See in a Hack

Status
Not open for further replies.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
  • To be more precise, you hate people saying they're going to put in features they probably have no idea how to implement (or would simply be impossible given the tech). Obviously if you were looking at a hack that actually had the "billion impossible features", it'd be rather impressive. ;)
    Yeah, that's what I meant, sorry.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Oct 21, 2019
    I've probably posted before here, but I am again.
    I dislike how people who have like only a month or less of experience attempt a hack. That's what I dislike in hacks. Poor skill. Another thing that bothers me is grammatical errors, along with poor mapping and scripting.

*made a generic post*

Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2011
    What annoys me most is when all they have done is changed some sprites, I've played some where they claim to be ones where you play as Pokémon when all they have done is changed the hero sprite into a Pikachu and that's it. Or one which claims to be breeders but its just Brock. Also ones where people have changed the text to try to be funny but end up just being offensive. I found one which was just all the text was swearing and sexual references and it was clear it was some 15 year trying to be cool.
    And the last thing (I swear) when they add a few tiles to be 'crazy' like they turn Gary's house to a cave of oaks lab has water suddenly. They don't work well with me because its just some kid playing on advanced map. Tsk well that's all.

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2023
    When people just rename the attacks rather than create new ones

Fakemon that look like they were done with little effort.

Custom sprites that look flat/2dish.

Long one here, bear with me.
    When pokemon/attacks are types they just don't seem like they should be. Example: Lugia. He was a flying/psychic type, despite being the "beast of the sea". What the hell?
    also, aeroblast should have been a water type. It just makes more sense.

When wild pokemon DO NOT know attacks they should. Example: again, Lugia. Caught at level 70 in whirl islands. It did not know aeroblast. I was so dissapointed. The only way to get Sacred Fire or Aeroblast in GSC is to pull it with metronome.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2009
    Graphics
    LOVE
    Swearing in scripts

NO HACKS FOR EMERALD!!!!!!!!!! Except one from cierra

Last edited:

Evil_Genius

Genius is a LIE
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2010
    oh well missed on the glitch topic i guess well i loed at some things seriously i dont like errors and horrible looking fake mon who take away my sleep damn man

ckret2

usually pronounced "secret 2"
    Years
  • And I hate hacks that add a billion features that are impossible and they never thought of a way to implement them (that's what I love about ToxicPurple, ckret knows how he going to do what most (including me) would deem "impossible".)

Thanks, I appreciate the comment. :D (For the record, I'm a "she," but in the ROM Hacking forum you're probably right about 90% of the time if you assume the next person you're talking to is a male, so no worries.)

I'm tired of being sucked in by hacks that have an interesting, unique intro to the plot (you start off the game being kidnapped and taken to a forest, you're telepathically contacted by a legendary who needs you to go on a mission, you live in a dystopian Kanto 70 years in the future where people struggle to survive...) and then discover that beyond the backstory it's the same old plot: go to the Professor, get your choice of starters (or, when they're being unique, one starter zomg), then go off and defeat 8 gym leaders/elders/mob bosses/fighting gurus/a-gym-leader-by-any-other-name-would-smell-as-stale, followed by 4 Elites/super-elders/kingpins/whatever. Originality in the plotline doesn't have to stop just because gameplay starts. In fact, it shouldn't.

shadwhearts

"...Blasting off again!"
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jul 20, 2023
    Fakemon,
    An entire Pokedex full of "Fakemon", although a few are okay.
    (yay! first post ever:))

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
  • What I do NOT want to see in a Pokemon Hack and why:

Profanity- Sure, it's okay to have an occasional "crap" or "damn", but hacks like Quartz, which had a LOT of swearing, including F and S bombs, just says that it was poorly done.....

Adult Content- Like I mentioned above with Quartz, adult content like sexual references is bad......

Poor Grammar and spelling- I don't like it when people mispell things, and say sentences poorly, like "It must be sedge" or "Are you selected one?" for examples, It's much like "All your base are belong to us", But refrences to AYBABTU would be awesome!

Netspeak- Like I mentioned above with the poor grammar and selling, netspeak like "Who r u?" or "So i herd u liek Mudkips", or even stuff like "OMG" and "WTF" drives me mad............

GSC Remakes- Face it, it just gets tireing..........

Poorly done sprites- Quartz had some poorly done sprites, some made you just want to puke, In fact Quartz had an entire Pokedex full of (poorly done) Fakemon, although a few Fakemon are okay, but an entire dex consisting of only fakemon (especially ones badly done) makes me sick to my stomach.....

Pokemon in dumb locations- For example, ledgendaries on the first route, or Pachirisu's living in a dark cave, or even shinies being more common

Pikachu/Eevee as the starter- Like GSC remakes, this gets tireing......

Overusage of Internet memes and Anime in Jokes- Sure, It is funny that Pikachu zaps and chars Misty/May/Dawns bike, but overusing the same joke just makes a hack look bad

Other things- Such as talking Pokemon, etc.

And yes, I do not like Pokemon Quartz

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • If a game has a lot of spelling errors or cursing, I can't play it... it's just too difficult. I also really like to see a well developed story.

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
  • There's more I forgot to mention:

Hacks based on the Pokemon anime (not particulary Orange/Naranja, it's okay if your hack takes place in the Orange islands, but please don't give it the same storyline as the anime during the Orange Islands arc, make it more original)

Ash Ketchum as the Champion (the first Ruby Destiny game for example)

Hacks that have DPPt Pokemon or Fakemon, but DON'T bother changing the cries (for example, in the first Ruby Destiny game, Riolu has a Phanpys cry, instead of it's usial yapping sounds, meaning that Phanpy was replaced), It is okay to have DPPt Pokemon or your original Pokemon, but PLEASE change the cry patterns so we can't tell what pokemon was replaced (Fakemon with your original cry sounds makes the hack more original)

Confusing world maps (Ruby Destiny's world map confused me)

Hacks that simply change tiles or maps, but nothing else, it's okay to have your games story similar to the main games (gym leaders, elite 4, villian team, etc.), but DO NOT just change tiles or maps, make up your own region, your own characters, make it more original people!!!!!!

Years
    • Seen Mar 22, 2013
    Bad spelling and grammer. In, fact, on the hack I'm working on right now, the first thing I did, because all Pokemon being capitalized drives me crazy, changed every name from BULBASAUR to Bulbasaur and DEOXYS to Deoxys in Y.A.P.E., which took me a lot of time

Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2013
    I was going to type up a list of things that irk me in a hack, but fortunately Masterge did it for me. Especially with his points about Quartz, as I was going to use it as an example as well. Except maybe not be as nice about it.

ckret2

usually pronounced "secret 2"
    Years
  • Bad spelling and grammer. In, fact, on the hack I'm working on right now, the first thing I did, because all Pokemon being capitalized drives me crazy, changed every name from BULBASAUR to Bulbasaur and DEOXYS to Deoxys in Y.A.P.E., which took me a lot of time

Agreement on the bad spelling and grammar.

And, to your second point (capitalization), it doesn't bother me if someone uses the same style as the original games, and leaves names, items, attacks, Pokémon, etc. capitalized. But what DOES bother me is if someone does it halfway; like, sometimes a character will talk about "MISTY" but then later on another character talks about "Misty", like the person making the game can't decide if they want to use Gen I/II/III capitalization or Gen IV capitalization and so they do it halfway; or, all the dialogue talks about "Bulbasaur" and "Cut," but when you're in an actual battle, the dialogue box still says "BULBASAUR used CUT!" If you're going to switch from Pokégrammar to proper grammar, great, but do it correctly.

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
  • I was going to type up a list of things that irk me in a hack, but fortunately Masterge did it for me. Especially with his points about Quartz, as I was going to use it as an example as well. Except maybe not be as nice about it.

Oh, I'm sorry about that, I hate Quartz just as much, you can do your list anyways, I also hear that Quartz had a sequel, and I bet it's even WORSE........

HentaiHentai

Banned
    Years
  • Agreed on bad spelling, grammar, internet talk, etc.
    However language if used correctly can add a more adult feel to a game as well as adult-like situations.
    Which would draw in the "unusual" crowd of gamers to the genre. Thus expanding the community.
    People complain about that because no one is mature enough to be friends with everyone.
    One thing if a game uses Adult content, refrences, and dialog. It should be specifically stated to keep anyone who may be offended by it.

Lastly , anything "plain" is a turn off.
    Be original, who cares if people hate it. You like it? Good! Thats what matters.

Years
  • But why would you hate that?
    -----------------------------
    I'm not saying that you can't, I'm just asking: Y?

Because they're not supposed to be in there. Most D/P Pokémon sprites look retarded when they're inserted into GBA roms and they can't have their own cries/moves.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back