• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ultimate Turnoff - What You Don't Want to See in a Hack

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2010
    The use of Fakemon is a major turn off.
    Awful mapping.
    The game it's self not being balanced.

Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2010
    1. Poor Balance (Catch every legendary/starter within the first few gyms, new/adjusted Pokemon total stats above 600 IV+, learning powerful attacks too early, adjusting gym leaders to only have weak Pokemon)
    2. Poor Plot (at the least, the plot shouldn't be worse than the game you hacked)
    3. Bad Grammar (unless it actually serves a plot purpose)
    4. Non-geographic regions (Ice Pokemon in the South, tropical Pokemon in the North, grass pokemon growing inside dark caves, etc.)
    5. Poorly Designed Towns/Routes (Missing Boundary Layers, Routes that don't follow maps, routes that are illogically linked or have wrong movement permissions)
    6. Poorly Drawn Fake Pokemon

558122_DG

Learning how to make mistakes
    Years
    • Seen May 27, 2021
    ok almost everything that everyone mentioned and this:

"He everyone, I just joined pokemon community and i wanna work on this hack, but i need a team

Story: You start with *3 random starters that don't even fit in (i'm guilty of this in my first hack:P)* you go and save the world from team *team name* cause you want to and no one is forcing you. You will also have to defeat random gym leaders cause it's cool and they give you stuff.

features:
    New starters
    new regoin
    new evil people. *

*no screenies*

*no releases*

*skills- I don't know anything yet but I am willing to learn if you teach me and help me!*

Last edited:

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
    Years
    4. Non-geographic regions (Ice Pokemon in the South, tropical Pokemon in the North, grass pokemon growing inside dark caves, etc.)

I'd just like to point out the world has more than one hemisphere... In the Southern Hemisphere tropics are in the North and it's colder in the South.

EDIT: Also, some plants grow better in the dark. ;)

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
    Years
    I'd just like to point out the world has more than one hemisphere... In the Southern Hemisphere tropics are in the North and it's colder in the South.

Australia doesn't count as a place.

I'm joking you know, you gotta remember most people from the north are ignorant about that sort of thing. It's a problem I hope is fixed someday in the future, but may just remain a pipe-dream.

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
    -Bad Graphics: No, I'm not talking about like Pokemon R/B/Y or G/S/C, I'm talking about graphics from people who think they can sprite, but can't and it ends up looking horrible. That is a large turn off.

-Cursing as every other word: That doesn't make a hack more 'mature'. It's more like when a kid learns the word and begins to say them a lot because they know it. Some in a hack is acceptable, if used in the right context, but if it is in every sentence, then just rewrite the script.

-Stupid Crossovers: Pokemon x South Park. Nothing needs to be said.

Here's looking at you Furanki with your South Park Hoenn Stories

-Hacks by hackers who want to be popular: I'm a little guilty of this, but I got over it. Most people who try to hack for popularity will either...

A: Give up.
    B: Make a horrible product
    or
    C: Get popular momentarily, but lose it, causing him to give up. A combo of 1 and 2.

It's unfortunate, but it's going to happen.

I don't hack to be popular, I just hack for the heck of it.....

-Hacks that have legends as starters: That just makes the game too easy. What's the point of playing it if it's that easy?

Don't forget hacks that have insane wild Pokemon at the beginning such as Charizard or Deoxys on the first route at level 3 (I'm looking at you Pokemon Pearla)

-People promising a bunch of features they can't do: It just ends up failing. All I can really do with my hack is make a new region and events.

It just angers me when someone tries to put multiple existing regions in one game

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2011
    Were do I start. I know I've never made a good hack (or completed one :P), so I don't get to have as good of an opinion as Coolboyman on the first page.

Spelling and Grammar Mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes, but come on! Some people even use internet slang in hacks.

Maps. Where do I begin on this one? Bare maps with a couple of trees and rocks and flowers, but you get lost in a sea of grass in your 7x7 world, and maps that look like their original counter parts.

Storyline. The classic Nintendo storyline is the best in my opinion, unless it's something real neat like Pokemon Merchant.

Graphics, Sprites, & Tiles. This one is one of the worst possible things people can mess up on. Mixing RSE and FRLG sprites and tiles, non realistic looking tiles (like red water), and hacks solely based on graphics.

Pokemon. Here is where a TON of noobs mess up on. Strong Pokemon on first route (ex. Charizard), horrible looking Fakemon, legendaries introduced before 5th gym (In FR/LG you could access Zapdos and Articuno once you got surf, and that is the earliest they are catchable), and pallet changed Pokemon to make them look original or shiny.

Marts. Some people make it where you can buy Master balls or Rare candies in marts. These are acceptable in certain circumstances. (In Pokemon Amnesia everyone gets amnesia and starts selling them, or since the Master ball is a prototype in the games a game set in the far future might have it where trainers can buy them.)

Remakes. These were okay, but now that HG/SS is coming out they aren't. If someone was to come up with a R/S/E remake or FR/LG/Y remake hacking generation 4 then it's okay since they don't have an updated equivalent.

Length. Short hacks or unfishied hacks are a big no-no unless you have a good reason not just a, "I don't feel like working on it anymore."

I'll update my post if anymore comes to mind.

BlitŻ1

guahh my dog is so cute
    Years
    Originally Posted by Team Rocket's Raichu The Ultimate Turnoff - What You Don't Want to See in a Hack
    Graphics, Sprites, & Tiles. This one is one of the worst possible things people can mess up on. Mixing RSE and FRLG sprites and tiles

O__O, dude, that's like saying gold isn't pretty. :/ Or that Kim Kardashian isn't hot because you don't like her or something. RSE tiles and FRLG tiles look like they were made to be together, which they probably were, because their palettes are very similar, I can't say the same thing about the overworlds though, because RSE ones look horrible X_x

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
    O__O, dude, that's like saying gold isn't pretty. :/ Or that Kim Kardashian isn't hot because you don't like her or something. RSE tiles and FRLG tiles look like they were made to be together, which they probably were, because their palettes are very similar, I can't say the same thing about the overworlds though, because RSE ones look horrible X_x

He has a good point. The buildings themselves are a little taller, and to fit with the FR/LG style need to be cut down a bit. Compare the doors in the two games for example. You wouldn't be able to get away with that if you just ported it over to the other game and vice-versa. And you can't say that you don't loathe Hoenn's basic choice of tree.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    He has a good point. The buildings themselves are a little taller, and to fit with the FR/LG style need to be cut down a bit. Compare the doors in the two games for example. You wouldn't be able to get away with that if you just ported it over to the other game and vice-versa. And you can't say that you don't loathe Hoenn's basic choice of tree.
    Oh, but nobody uses the bad tiles...

Do they?

El Diabeetus

Amateur Voice Actor / ROM Editor ('Hacker')
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2020
    Here's looking at you Furanki with your South Park Hoenn Stories
    I don't blame you for hating those. Looking back, I don't know what the hell I was thinking. Oh, well. Can't change the stupid hacks/things I did about 2/3 years ago. Plus, eh, whatever. It's the internet, no point in taking things seriously. I can take criticism, I'm not that stupid 14 year old anymore. Besides, I like when people speak what they really think, odds are it'll help in the long run.

Besides I shifted all the South Park stuff into original videos I do now, where's it that animation style. You won't be seeing anymore "South Park" hacks anymore, at least not from anyways.

I'd still be hacking DarkCopper, but no computer to actually hack with. Plus, I'm gonna restart on Emerald. But, that's off-topic. I'm gonna change some events in it too that are kinda dumb, like being given Giratina as early as you get it. In DarkCopper I'm slightly guilty of it still being a crossover game, but, this time with Death Note. But, it'll actually tie into the story instead of being just "Oh, there's L, Light, etc.".

What things are annoying in hacks:

Mainly, Remakes: At this point, I know people want to implement their own ideas into older games, but with HG/SS coming out. Is there really a need for that many remakes now? Not saying there still shouldn't be remakes, but there's a lot in my opinion.

Grammar: I can understand the misspellings and every once-in-awhile errors, but when you're typing like you're texting, it's kind of a turn-off.

People wanting release as soon as possible: It's not the fault of the Hack Maker, but, sometimes the pressure of "OMG, when's it coming out?" sometimes you rush to get the hack out.

Last edited:

Benzee

I got your number, on the wall
    Years
    Ugly tiles/palettes. I mean if you want to be different and use original tiles, go right ahead. Just make them good looking. I would rather see a hack with original FR grass tiles than a bunch of lime green bushes.

Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2021
    Haven't played many pokemon hacks thus far, but my biggest turnoffs are:
    -Glitchy graphics. This includes the Town Map.
    -Fakemon. I prefer the originals, thank you very much.
    -Incomplete hacks. This isn't something wrong. I just don't like being interrupted in the middle of a hack. :(

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 23, 2024
    The biggest turn-offs for me are:

1. Poorly done sprites. No shading, no originality, etc
    2. Badly made tiles.
    3. Cursing in almost every sentence.
    4. When they t@lk liek dis.
    5. Mapping errors.
    6. Fakemon
    7. When there's no challenge, and bad plot.
    8. Grammar like saying u instead of you, and lots of spelling errors.

tkallab

Should have been in Dissidia
    Years
    I'm pretty sure everything here has been stated, but I'm bored, so...

1. Fakemons or 4th gen pokemon. The original ones are unoriginal enough (lol).
    2. Tile errors. 'nuff said.
    3. When scripts don't work.
    4. Grammar errors. Especially effect/affect.
    5. Bad looking custom stuff. Do it good or don't use them.

Then again, who cares?

Matteron (96)

Can't Read Lookin Ass
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2024
    Now, i only don't like fakemon when they are poorly made, and basically fusions, but when you get something like torzach with sprites like nintendo's then you can't really say anything

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jun 20, 2022
    For me would be lazy sprite modeling (sprites that seem very sloppy and only slightly modified) and unedited title screens.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back