• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ultimate Webmaster's Debate

Years
    • Age 38
    • Seen Sep 27, 2009
    How can people say that vB is hard to use? Its easy as hell to set up and sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo easy to customize... I dont understand how you guys can think that??

Spectrum

In need of an oil change
    Years
    Don't worry, Casey. They've probably never even used the Admin CP of vBulletin before. xD

Rukario

Banned
    Years
    hmmmm... hard choice here..
    Paid: hands down vBulletin, of course!
    for a free board, i'd have to say phpbb but only cause i'm somewhat familar with it.. (if php isn't an option, i suggest you use YaBB Gold)

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    Aino, you can easily play around with an Admin CP at the official site. x3 They give you a day to tinker with one. :3 And it is incredibly easy to figure out. vBulliten hands down for me.

As for free ones... I've never much cared for phpBB since it doesn't come with enough features and hacking takes too long in order to install enough of them. ^_^; I really liked IPB, but now it's not free anymore. I'm not really too familliar with the free ones since those are really the only two I've ever used. o_O

Spectrum

In need of an oil change
    Years
    I know that, but most people don't bother to even do anything in it. They take one look and think it's impossible to use. xD

HellishHades

Pure Evil
    Years
    If you can program at all, it doesn't matter which piece of software you use. I've modded a few of the forum types listed, and I don't really see much difficulty in use, installation, or modification in any of them. With a fair bit of programming skill, which every webmaster should have, any BB can be modded to fit your needs. VB has more features initailly, but phpBB can easily have its programming altered to be just as good or better, for example.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    Oh, I agree. I just like extra features and whatnot, so it just makes more sense to me to get a bulkier forum as opposed to a phpBB and hacking it. Like I said... somewhere before, why spend all the time hacking one thing when you can download another pre-loaded with all the things you want? =x

HellishHades

Pure Evil
    Years
    PichuSecretBase said:
    I just think vB is too complicated. I mean c'mon it has 100 files >>
    Would you rather it be disorganised, clustered into one, obscenely large source file?

Lightning said:
    why spend all the time hacking one thing when you can download another pre-loaded with all the things you want? =x
    Why spend the money for one thing when you can better the code of another for free with all the things you want? I'll opt out of using "=x" in my response, though.

aRedMoon

Wait for me outside the lines
    Years
    Aye, why spend money for something that you can just hack in?

The good thing about phpBB - it's still free. =3

Kipkip

Join the Revolution
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jun 24, 2007
    This is from my point of view of who likes what forum.
    Developers seem to like phpBB more probally becuase of easy modifacation and it's open sourced. People who have money likes vB. And everyone else is evenly broken out amoung forums.
    Lightning said:
    Oh, I agree. I just like extra features and whatnot, so it just makes more sense to me to get a bulkier forum as opposed to a phpBB and hacking it. Like I said... somewhere before, why spend all the time hacking one thing when you can download another pre-loaded with all the things you want? =x
    That's the exact reason I like phpBB. It doesn't have a lot of stupid usless crap. I call it SUC. I have not yet to figure a way to incorpate a K in there. :laugh:
    With phpBB, you get it for free and you get to have stuff you actually want. Some features in like vB are not used properly if used at all. Just like MS Word. And those non-used features could slow the forum down or get annoying. Of course, this is my opinion.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
    Nitrus, myBB is the closest you're going to get to a free vB. It's got almost the same features and even looks like vB.

Back