• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The (Un)official Pokemon GB/C Hacking Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawakita

Not Invented Here
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 17, 2019
Sawakita, I heard you had a sort of messy collection of information about stuff that could be really useful to first-generation hackers. I know you probably want to clean it up before you post it anywhere, but could you post at least some more of it even if it is messy? Just the most useful stuff?
Most of my notes are about ASM. Anyway I use to post my notes (in a cleaner way than the one I wrote them down originally) at Skeetendo: for example there is the "R/B Scripting Guidelines" thread, and some notes in the "RGBY Map Headers" thread.
no one's hacking RBYG because they're too hard
It's not true. Generally no game is harder or easier to be hacked. Say that more tools exist for FireRed, if you really have to.

I am curious, it seems that there is a color palette that I have no idea what it is used for and it is between the "POKEMON" text from the title screen palette and the mew palette. I cannot seem to find what it is used for, even with VisualBoyAdvance's palette viewer showing which palettes work with which screens.
You're talking about the palette whose ID is 0x0F, right? Here's my dump of SGB's PAL_SETs data (the format is RGBDS-compatible!):
Spoiler:
And here are the constant values corresponding to each label in the previous spoiler, for the reference (in first place, thanks to IIMarckus for these):
Spoiler:

I do though know that the palette following the Saffron City one is the green/blue for the stars in the Game Freak Logo,
Actually here you're wrong: palette after Saffron city's one (Saffron_city_palette_ID = 0x0B, so the palette that follows is ID = 0x0C) isn't used for stars in gamefreak logo (in fact they use 4 different palettes: 0x24 [sort of yellow], 0x02 [viridian city's palette], 0x12 [red], 0x11 [blue]). Palette after Saffron city's one is in fact used when TownMap is displayed (check PAL_SET_03 in the first spoiler I put).
then we have the colors for the japanese text and for "<Color> VERSION" followed by the POKEMON caption palette and after that the one that really stumps me as to what its purpose really is.

it has the usual faint rose color, a pink, a purple, and a black, but I edit it and nowhere in the game at all seems to be effected..
As you can see, proved in the spoiler, palette 0x0F is never used. On a side note, since you come from a community where ASM is widely used, you should use it to figure out things that bamboozle you. On another side note, I suggest you not to use VBA, but instead use BGB which is focused on DMG, GBC and SGB systems, better than VBA (which also is less accurate in emulation).

Also, from a previous post of yours:
kram65536 said:
The PokeCommunity is still in its infancy.
PokeCommunity is not exactly a ROM hacking community (not mainly, anyway). Skeetendo (by the way it's not my site, like you assumed; I'm just a member) itself, even though is filled with more documentation and information about 1st/2nd gen hacking than any other site I am aware of, is relatively small because (and I hope I'm not wrong here), way before I started hacking, a big site used to exist, called twilight hacking, that was erased from the net by a user, for no clear reasion, about a couple of years ago (almost no trace remains of it, right now, except some docs saved by some wise hackers). So Skeetendo is the reincarnation of Twilight Hacking, as far as I know.
Some documents are also located at Datacrystal (ROM maps, RAM maps) and Bulbapedia (some data structures).

Last edited:

Gamer2020

Accept no Imitations!
Years
Something I am wondering out of pure curiosity... I know there really isn't a scripting system in Pokemon Red but that instead it used some kind of ASM. Is there any documentation or some guide for editing the "scripts" in Red?

kringlur

Velkominn í heim POKéMON!
Years
Something I am wondering out of pure curiosity... I know there really isn't a scripting system in Pokemon Red but that instead it used some kind of ASM. Is there any documentation or some guide for editing the "scripts" in Red?

Well, there's this thing in my signature, but to my knowledge there's some random threads on stuff (mostly on Skeetendo) and the tons of resources that were once available were lost on Twilight's demise. Then the people who know the most just don't post many tutorials. So there's some stuff like "how to edit map headers" and "how to change the level of this trainer's pokemon" as well as general "this is ASM" but not a huge, in-depth, Red-specific one as far as I know (and some of the bigger collections of data on Red are just plain wrong to start with, apparently?)

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
PokeCommunity is not exactly a ROM hacking community (not mainly, anyway). Skeetendo (by the way it's not my site, like you assumed; I'm just a member) itself, even though is filled with more documentation and information about 1st/2nd gen hacking than any other site I am aware of, is relatively small because (and I hope I'm not wrong here), way before I started hacking, a big site used to exist, called twilight hacking, that was erased from the net by a user, for no clear reasion, about a couple of years ago (almost no trace remains of it, right now, except some docs saved by some wise hackers).
Twilight Hacking wasn't exactly "big"—it was smaller than Skeetendo is now. Most of the important stuff has since been recovered or rewritten, although there was a pretty good bitflags list that I haven't seen since.

A bigger forum back in the day was Cheat and Win, which had some familiar names like Tauwasser, Hyperhacker, Coolboyman, and Cartmic; it disappeared due to age, but I saved a few good threads that I need to repost sometime. However, most of the stuff was very primitive except what came from the German community (which was as advanced then as it is now).

Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2016

Most of my notes are about ASM. Anyway I use to post my notes (in a cleaner way than the one I wrote them down originally) at Skeetendo: for example there is the "R/B Scripting Guidelines" thread, and some notes in the "RGBY Map Headers" thread.

either way it is a start, but it is rather easy to accidentally make such an assumption.

You're talking about the palette whose ID is 0x0F, right? Here's my dump of SGB's PAL_SETs data (the format is RGBDS-compatible!):
Spoiler:
And here are the constant values corresponding to each label in the previous spoiler, for the reference (in first place, thanks to IIMarckus for these):
Spoiler:

by illustrating what you just did there, you may have beat me to the punch of locating exactly what I need to get classicMap GX rendering colors, so thanks, the new continuation will give you credit for that, even though that is not what I was looking for.

Actually here you're wrong: palette after Saffron city's one (Saffron_city_palette_ID = 0x0B, so the palette that follows is ID = 0x0C) isn't used for stars in gamefreak logo (in fact they use 4 different palettes: 0x24 [sort of yellow], 0x02 [viridian city's palette], 0x12 [red], 0x11 [blue]). Palette after Saffron city's one is in fact used when TownMap is displayed (check PAL_SET_03 in the first spoiler I put).

I knew about &H24 in the Copyright/Gamefreak screen. but you just cleared for me what the others are, very useful indeed. I am very new to pokemon roms and somewhere halfway between beginner and intermediate with z80, while advanced with 68k, though an index or pointer is very familiar to me due to my experience on a sega genesis.

As you can see, proved in the spoiler, palette 0x0F is never used. On a side note, since you come from a community where ASM is widely used, you should use it to figure out things that bamboozle you. On another side note, I suggest you not to use VBA, but instead use BGB which is focused on DMG, GBC and SGB systems, better than VBA (which also is less accurate in emulation).

whenever hacking, that is exactly what the hacker is looking for, lost or unused data that can be altered to the hacker's intent and repointed, possibly even without killing the engine.

Also, from a previous post of yours:

PokeCommunity is not exactly a ROM hacking community (not mainly, anyway). Skeetendo (by the way it's not my site, like you assumed; I'm just a member) itself, even though is filled with more documentation and information about 1st/2nd gen hacking than any other site I am aware of, is relatively small because (and I hope I'm not wrong here), way before I started hacking, a big site used to exist, called twilight hacking, that was erased from the net by a user, for no clear reasion, about a couple of years ago (almost no trace remains of it, right now, except some docs saved by some wise hackers). So Skeetendo is the reincarnation of Twilight Hacking, as far as I know.
Some documents are also located at Datacrystal (ROM maps, RAM maps) and Bulbapedia (some data structures).

This is where we will have to agree to disagree, and here is why, under the same notion, we could say Sonic Retro but rather a general Sonic site dedicated to the blue hedgehog in every way possible, even where hacking is concerned without exception. Almost like combining Skeetendo, this site, and Bulbapedia into one great community with all the other fan stuff.

Sonic retro's wiki has only 10% of its articles dedicated to hacking, the rest are on things like Sonic X, SatAM, the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic1 (8 bit), Sonic 2, Sonic Advance 3, Sonic Adventure, ...

Then there is Sega Retro (an offshoot of sonic retro dedicated to general Sega stuff) which has only 2% if its stuff on hacking, the rest on Sega commercials, various Sega games, and Sega hardware (including arcade).

That's really, really great! I'm confused about the Red/Green rom bit though, if it's compatible with Green why do you need a Red rom...?

because Green (UE) at least the type I described, is a hack of red and PokeConvert could transform any first generation rom except yellow into the other. The supported Green rom, would be the Pokemon Green (english, based on red version), not a translated green(j). Besides, eventually PokeConvert will be able to handle other languages too (except, japanese will be able to only convert between red and green). an advantage such a tool would have, is that it would be able to allow only 1 rom download, but yet still result in having red, blue, and green in perfect english. Thus the red rom is mostly for a totally different program entirely and you need it if you really want to make a pokemon green (english) hack.

I also realized that I have instructions for how to insert alternate characters into Yellow, so your in-game text could have þ and ð for example. I'll make a tutorial on that today and post it, because even if it's easy to figure out I'm not sure there's a tutorial.

great idea, the beginners need that kind og thing to get started and the advanced people would use the address info more to figure out where to edit and the equivilant in asm.

Last edited:

FireSlasher

Beginner Hacker seeking help
Years
i think we should support R/B/Y hacking also, added to G/S/C cause for now two days, i cant find anything on hacking red o.o

Forever Alone

Back into rom hacking 8 years later!
Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 18, 2021
My signature says it all i really want it im looking for a sprite editor and tileset editor if a cant script very well, one of those too

luke

Master of the Elements
Years
This thread hasn't been active in over a thread so unfortunately you cannot revive it. I hope you find what you're looking for elsewhere though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back