• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Unevolved Pokémon Challenge

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2022
    gVcxX9C.png

The Unevolved Pokémon Challenge

Intro
    Welcome to Yellow's Cute Pokémon Challenge -er- rather the Unevolved Pokémon Challenge! Sorry, Yellow... ;-; Anyways, this challenge is really simple: beat the game with only Unevolved Pokémon. Now, that's easier said than done.

Rules
    1. An Unevolved Pokemon is a Pokémon that has not evolved, this does not include NFE. This also includes Single-Form Pokémon with a BST less then 480.
    2. Hacking/trading in Pokémon is not allowed, as it is not required for this challenge.
    3. Banned Pokémon can be found here (for you cheeky people trying to use legendaries).
    4. Pokémon whose pre-evolution is not in your game (ex. Pikachu in Red) count as Unevolved.
    5. The run is completed when:
    Spoiler:

6. An ultimate run is completed in 5 different regions, GSC and HGSS count as both Johto and Kanto.

Sign-Up Form Example
    Username: Sir Pedro
    Version(s): Diamond
    Ultimate?: No

Single Challengers
    Spoiler:

Ultimate Challengers
    Spoiler:

Single Champions
    Spoiler:

Ultimate Champions
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2018
    This looks intriguing, although your banned list doesn't seem to be set up/be linked to/work. Obviously this is a bit of an issue - can single-form Pokémon be used, for example? I'd be interested in giving this one a go once I've got more details.

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2018
    Great!
    I'm game for this.

Username: ActualRealJamz (Playing with trainer name James)
    Version(s): Platinum
    Ultimate?: No

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2018
    Current Progress:

Team: Turtwig, Shinx, Ponyta, Buizel, Cranidos, Gligar
    Having now reached Solaceon Town, I am now off to explore the ruins and lower floors of the Lost Tower. Buizel is still behind, and needs a lot of work, but will likely be easily brought up to scratch within the ruins.

Having made my way to Veilstone after getting Defog, I'm beginning to realise just how difficult this challenge is - even going back to Solaceon to heal once made the travel rather difficult. I've defeated the first gym trainer, and Buizel is still horribly behind. I'm considering some kind of a substitute, although I can't think of any better water-type (or Pokémon capable of at least learning Surf) at this point. Gligar seems to be carrying the team, along with Ponyta. I could really use a decent Flying-type move at this point, but I'll leave it for now unless I get desperate.
    I've made a bit of progress, doing a lot of training around the Pastoria region (although I've still got to cover the Hearthome side). The team's level balance has shifted somewhat: with Buizel taking the lead, although it still doesn't measure up to the rest of the team. I believe that it now may be time for a rethink. I haven't yet defeated Maylene, since I couldn't do much to Lucario having lost the part of the team I had intended to save for it. The level gap is not so sever as I thought, and so I imagine I could easily make this on the second attempt.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2022
    Journey Progress:

Got my starter, Sage the Froakie, from Tierno. My friend, Shauna, challenged me to a battle right there at the gate, which I easily won. I breezed through Route 2, catching Char the Fletchling on the way. After Route 2 came Santalune Forest, leading to Santalune City. Here I got the rollerblades, and defeated Violet, getting my first badge.

Team Progress

Sage the Froakie
    656.gif

Char the Fletchling
    661.gif

Rman917

Rman
    Years
  • Gonna start this! Looks fun. I have a spare HG game, so I'll use that. Will update on my progress occasionally.

Username: Rman917
    Version: HeartGold
    Ultimate: Nope.

EDIT: Postponed. May resume in late April at best.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2022
    Gonna start this! Looks fun. I have a spare HG game, so I'll use that. Will update on my progress occasionally.

Username: Rman917
    Version: HeartGold
    Ultimate: Nope.

Thanks for trying it out, added you to the OP.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2022
    Username: dooght
    Version(s): HG, X, FR, E
    Ultimate?: Yup
    I have a feeling this is going to take a while...

Wow, our first Ultimate Challenger! I added you to the OP. Good luck!

Also, remember everybody to keep the thread updated with progress. Too many challenge threads are dying. :( Another also, pictures are welcome, and encouraged! Have fun everyone! {XD}

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    If I had the time i would tots do it. one i kept my cyndaquil until pokemonleague xD

Years
  • Beat the first gym in X with Fletchling lv. 8, Froakie lv. 14, and Weedle lv. 8
    I decided to do a Nuzlocke-Unevolved challenge, and sadly I lost my Fletchling :(
    I'm doing the normal Nuzlocke challenge rules, with my own rule added that I can only buy Potions and regular PokeBalls from the Poke-Mart.

EDIT: Dangit I lost to Sycamore >_<
    At least I'm not done, I got a Bulbasaur :D

Last edited:
    Years
  • I want to give this a shot because I have to do one for my Bingo sheet anyways so I might aswell do it now lol Not sure about the team I want to use just yet though :o

Username: AoTora
    Version(s): Pokemon FireRed
    Ultimate?: Nope, not for now~

Years
  • I'm giving X a rest. If I don't, I think I'll explode.
    Last night, I caught a Smeargle. I had some others on my team, too.
    But I forgot to save it, and someone took the game cartridge out of my 3DS while it was charging -.-
    I think I might start on FireRed or Emerald

Halfcadence

Monocolorist
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2023
    I just have a quick question before I give this a go. You mention a rule about pre-evolutions, but what about pokemon that didn't originally have evolutions, like your Scythers and your Lickitungs? Are they usuable in some generations but not others, or are the just banned outright?

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2022
    I just have a quick question before I give this a go. You mention a rule about pre-evolutions, but what about pokemon that didn't originally have evolutions, like your Scythers and your Lickitungs? Are they usuable in some generations but not others, or are the just banned outright?

I would say that if they evolve in that generation, they count as an Unevolved Pokemon. However, if they have no evolution in a given generation, they count a as Pokemon without an evolution.

Example: Scyther counts as a Pokemon with no evolution in RBY, but as an Unevolved Pokemon in GSC.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    I've never done a challenge before, but I'd like to give this a try.

Username: itari Hopeless Masquerade
    Version: Platinum
    Ultimate?: Not now.

Last edited:
    Back