• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Unova Weather Trio

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Tornadus, Thundurus, Landorus

Do you feel these guys deserved any sort of back story? In the games, you got told specifically to go to Route 7 if you wanted to discover what was up with the weather but other than a family telling you about them there isn't much else.

Oh and how do you feel about the weather appearing every route you found them in?

I dunno, I would've liked to see more about them (Tornadus/Thundurus) from the start, because with how seasons/nature do play a part in the games, the weather getting in the way from early on would've been awesome. To counter for the level differences, yes you would've seen their storms just not the Pokemon. Aaand when they occur the NPCs as a result could act differently depending on whether it's normal weather or thunder/rain. Also, I really don't feel Landorus had a large enough role to really tie up the whole weather trio story. :(

What are your thoughts? Discuss!

Ciax

Ledian Used Starlight!
    Years
  • Personally I dislike the "genie" trio. They loook nearly identical apart from their tails and colour schemes. I haven't even used them in battles yet.

I think they had potential to have a great backstory about them wrecking the region witht he weather going crazy and you must catch them to calmt hem down. But as it is they are just those legendaries put in to catch to make the game a bit better.

Maybe in the third version their story could be expanded. Like Landorus is causing earthquakes around the region with great thunderstorms and tornadoes as well.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I could see that they could have put it more so in ways like...they just blocked off paths in average ways in this game, a man standing there mostly. I would have liked to see something like a massive storm that you can't get past, and then maybe when you can finally go that way you can catch a glimpse of the legendary as it goes off into the distance.

One thing I would have liked for these legendaries would have been cutscenes. They scattered a few around the game, and to have one for these would have been really nice as well. Maybe just one for Landorus, or a few cutscenes in the game where you see your legendary in the distance as it flies away from you, or something like that would have been enough to get me psyched.

I also feel like the Abundant Shrine definitely could have been designed better. I felt like putting Landorus there was an afterthought because it wasn't designed to showcase him at all. If they had made it more showcase-y I would have enjoyed the journey more, as it was I just thought the shrine was ugly and useless, lol.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I think the Kami trio deserve a backstory because I felt that the old woman in Route 7 and the girl in the Abundant Shrine telling their stories weren't enough. I think the stories they told could be reenacted in the present in the third version, similar to Kyogre, Groudon and Rayquaza in Emerald.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2014
    I'm kind of impartial about the Genie trio (I wonder why they are even called genies, because they seem to have more of a base on Japanese ogres and weather-controlling deities). I admit they are one of the weirdest designs I've seen in the series so far... Then again there IS an anatomical macho Pokemon that already existed (Machoke).

I kind of agree with Ciax in the sense that they have potential in having a backstory. I mean, why not? Black & White already worked to improve the level of storytelling within the game, so it would be nice to see an explanation as to why the genies start causing disruptions around the region.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    To be honest, I believe most of the legendaries in Black and White should have had more of a backstory (like Zekrom and Reshiram - being the two main legendaries within the games). I feel like the legendaries in this game haven't been given any particular "special feeling", that would be different from catching any other Pokémon. If you compare from previous games, I think B/W are the least ones concerned about giving out a story based on the legendaries. :(

Though I do believe these three out of most of the legendaries in this gen should have been given a backstory more than what's already been told about them (from the old woman and the little girl, like PlatinumDude mentioned). To me, it'd add more excitement to go out and capture them too. As for the weather appearance within whatever route they are in, I like the idea, but I think having it from earlier on like Forever's idea would've been pretty amazing as well.

Years
  • I thought the Weather Trio was Groudon, Kyogre, and Rayquaza.

As for the kami trio, I like them. I think its an interesting idea to base pokemon off Kami, especially a popular one like Inari-okami. I feel like the Kami trio recycled what we saw with legendaries in RSE, though. A different, deeper story would have been preferable.

Regarding Landorus' shrine, it seems to be a Hokora, or roadside shrine. The design fits into the Shinto theme really well. Shinto Shrines aren't designed to be showy. They are made to be part of the environment. The central area is usually kept closed off as well, with just an ofuda with the name of the enshrined Kami on it that is only opened when making prayers or offerings.

So I like them. I find it interesting that they chose to do Kami pokemon in a game based in America, where Shinto is incredibly rare. The references to Fujin, Raijin, and Inari would go over the heads of most people outside of Japan. Perhaps that's why the Kami trio is subjected to so much hate? People just don't realize the kind of Japan-specific cultural values they embody.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I thought the Weather Trio was Groudon, Kyogre, and Rayquaza.

As for the kami trio, I like them. I think its an interesting idea to base pokemon off Kami, especially a popular one like Inari-okami. I feel like the Kami trio recycled what we saw with legendaries in RSE, though. A different, deeper story would have been preferable.

Regarding Landorus' shrine, it seems to be a Hokora, or roadside shrine. The design fits into the Shinto theme really well. Shinto Shrines aren't designed to be showy. They are made to be part of the environment. The central area is usually kept closed off as well, with just an ofuda with the name of the enshrined Kami on it that is only opened when making prayers or offerings.

So I like them. I find it interesting that they chose to do Kami pokemon in a game based in America, where Shinto is incredibly rare. The references to Fujin, Raijin, and Inari would go over the heads of most people outside of Japan. Perhaps that's why the Kami trio is subjected to so much hate? People just don't realize the kind of Japan-specific cultural values they embody.

I think it's more so that they look identical. Even if what they're based on is identical, they could have at least reposed them if they wanted to do that. Most of the hate stems from their designs, not from any obscure references made. From what I'm reading they could have even designed Landorus differently and it wouldn't have affected the basis at all, so the dislike that a lot of people have at their designs is still justified.

While it is based on a Shinto shrine and that's all well and good, but they've often made something based on something else without copy it from real life exactly - take the desert in the region based on New York City. They could easily have made the place look more appealing and more interesting without completely destroying the resemblance to a shrine, and that's the point I'm making. The Abundant Shrine has a bunch of cool Pokemon, but other than that it's rather ugly and doesn't display its actual purpose well enough.

Edit: Besides, if they're really taking directly from Shinto, Inari shrines are pretty big, yeah? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inari_Shrine According to that site over a third of shrines are dedicated to Inari, so wouldn't a shrine about that make sense to be much larger and not based off of a roadside shrine?

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • I don't feel that they really need to go into great detail with Kami Trio. Maybe we will get a back story through the anime with the episodes on December 8th. If anything I hope that add something even a small amount to this story. I am more interested to see what comes of the Musketeer Quintet.

Years
  • I agree with you regarding the designs being the same. That was a pretty bad move.

I never intended to say the Kami pokemon were lifted directly from Shinto. Yes, while shrines to Inari-okami are usually large, they don't all have to be. There exist many that are small, these are usually found on roadsides or in fields. As for more visual appeal, it may not have been evident, but I do agree with you. They could have done more the Abundant Shrine. If Landorus is supposed to be Inari-okami, then we could have seen more of the typical things associated with Inari-okami.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Tbh I just wanted flowers in the dirt :( It's so disheartening to see so much dirt, and it's a pain to navigate since you can't walk through it, so I assumed something would grow there eventually but that doesn't seem to be the case by looking online.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • For games that claim to be so story-driven, there is very little back story given about anything. Honestly, a rich backstory is what makes any story deeper and more interesting. The fact that they excluded this from most of the legendaries in the games doesn't sit well with me at all.

Though if we're talking specifically about the Weather Trio, I think they're so incredibly stupid that they don't deserve to be even looked at twice, let alone given a backstory in which they are the center of attention. They are the three most identical Pokemon I've ever seen and they're all ugly and too human-looking. They don't look like they should be Pokemon. I personally have no interest whatsoever in learning more about them.

If they want to expand some backstories, they might want to put more effort into Cobalion, Terrakion and Virizion.

TheGr8

lovely pair<3
    Years
  • Personally, I like them! I have used them in competitive battles like the VGC last year was weather trio headlines. Everyone had one, yes I wish there was so more story behind them because it'd be interesting to me, and kinda it'd be like Regig in Plat and what not I feel if they gave them a story or anything, some would like them. The designs I like, the Genie pose is pretty cool :)

Years
  • One thing I don't like is what happens after you catch Landorus. Nothing. There is an active cult of worship around this pokemon. It is a god. You STOLE these people's GOD. What if Landorus is the only thing keeping the Abundant Shrine... abundant?

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
  • The Weather Trio is Kyogre, Groudon and Rayquaza. The genies are called the Kami Trio.

To be honest I didn't like them at all. I thought they were too identical and too human-like and not really Pokémon-looking at all. The only positives are I like that Tornadus is a pure Flying-type Pokémon and I really quite enjoyed running around catching Thundurus. I like the storm. It was pretty cool.

I also think that the legendary Pokémon in general in this game had very little depth to them. Actually I never really understand the whole "apparently Zekrom and Reshiram are Yin and Yang" thing because they didn't even feel remotely opposite to me. There is nothing dark or evil about Zekrom except its colour, and Reshiram is just . . . neutral it seems. I don't think they're opposing forces at all. But yeah, I didn't really like a lot of the legendaries in this generation. :(

Drakio

The next youngster Joey!
    Years
  • The Weather Trio is Kyogre, Groudon and Rayquaza. The genies are called the Kami Trio.

To be honest I didn't like them at all. I thought they were too identical and too human-like and not really Pokémon-looking at all. The only positives are I like that Tornadus is a pure Flying-type Pokémon and I really quite enjoyed running around catching Thundurus. I like the storm. It was pretty cool.

I also think that the legendary Pokémon in general in this game had very little depth to them. Actually I never really understand the whole "apparently Zekrom and Reshiram are Yin and Yang" thing because they didn't even feel remotely opposite to me. There is nothing dark or evil about Zekrom except its colour, and Reshiram is just . . . neutral it seems. I don't think they're opposing forces at all. But yeah, I didn't really like a lot of the legendaries in this generation. :(

I agree they did look very human like, in fact a lot of the pokemon of this region looked human like. It was very hard for me to try to catch them because they would always run away, so I would just get annoyed. But you didn't get much info on the, I felt that there should be like a scroll that drops down after you catch one that is written in prospective of an ancient person writing about the storm it brings and how it's a cure, that would be cool.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • xD when I first read the title I was why is there a RSE thread in BW 0-o
    On topic: I think that they were just there to take up space, other than the start they didn't really have much of a story other than being violent and having Landorus punish them for being naughty...
    They should make their event have more of an impact on the story like the cities nearby them start to have gusts and leaves flowing though them if Tornadus is there or lightning storms and black outs if Thundorus is there. Also Landorus should've cause some Earthquakes, I'll also like to see Plasma investigating the temple, interestingly enough one of the sage was nearby the shrine so maybe he should have played more of a role in the event.

jkls39

Gate Master
    Years
  • I think the stories about the Weather Trio were quite enough for me to understand why they are related with one another. And about the weather changing, for me, I had fun with it though its only a little scary since I can't see too much because of the strong wind and heavy rain. Since I'm playing Black, I was having a hard time catching Tornadus since I'm juts using an Ultra Ball and I have to lower its HP. Also, I always have to check the electric billboard just to locate the storm. I didn't even used Tornadus ever since I caught him. I just wanted to get him, that's all.

NinjaPawniard

Athos Porthos Aramis d'Artagna
    Years
  • I love the trio, and I was reading around and the actual name for the trio is the "Kami Trio" (Kami is japanese for God/And the real Weather Trio is Groudon, Kyogre, and Rayquaza).

I personally like Thundurus more than Tornadus, though I do like Tornadus more than I did now, because I got a card of it in my 1st Emerging Powers pack (though that's not part of this topic).

I personally had to get a Tornadus from my friend Austin just to get Landorus, which kind of ticked me off. I would have understood it if there were a third pokémon in the Lati-duo to make it so you had to have both of them to get it.

Anyways, I do like this trio and how they symbolize the storm, the wind, and the land. Though for the weather, land doesn't really fit the theme XD. But if you put it an "earthly perspective" you've got the land (Landorus), the wind (Tornadus), and the occasional storm (Thundurus)....

Back