• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Unrest in Libya

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
  • Gaddafi will either run away to some other African country to hide (rumours of North Sudan) or commit suicide, I doubt he'll allow himself to be caught and put on trial like Mubarak.

Meanwhile, the question is, who will take the lead of the NTC during the transition? That's the biggest problem. The group is really indebted to the West for the support so there is a chance they won't start lazying off like the military in Egypt, but still... having a democracy there is still a wish.

But, for now, let's all celebrate there is a dictator less in the world.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Seems like his rule is over after many years of as a tyrant :)
    Let's just hope this revolution is more like the US's rather than the French one...

Ivysaur

Years
  • Seems like his rule is over after many years of as a tyrant :)
    Let's just hope this revolution is more like the US's rather than the French one...

Historically, the French Revolution meant a lot of political improvements, ending the Ancient Regime in Europe (the counterrevolution that came later quickly backfired). The only thing to avoid is the existence of a Napoleon... like Gaddafi himself was when the previous king was overthrown.

Last edited:

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    Half my family is over there so this whole mess has been pretty stressful to watch and hear about. I don't quite know what will happen, but at least he'll be out of power. Maybe they'll go back to a monarchy? A lot of people were okay with the King before Gaddafi took over, but there's always a chance for dictator round 2.

It'll be interesting.

Years
  • The latest I've heard is that the Rebel forces have managed to breach a gate at Gadhafi's compound? And it would seem that he has no intention of surrendering, so chances are they'll kill him.

Ivysaur

Years
  • Gaddafi's regime only exists in theory anymore. It's only a matter of time until they surrender the few places they haven't lost yet, but with Tripoli under the NTC's hands, they have little to claim they still are in control.

Years
  • I can sort of understand someone wanting to visit Libya right now. Sort of. It is a revolution and a changing point in one part of the world and as this guy has shown it's not exactly difficult to get there... but it's still dangerous and stupid, especially in the Arab world where lots of people are ambivalent at best about Western countries' involvement with their lives.

Back