• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Game Journal] The upward spiral of videogames

Years
  • Phew, I made it. Project Warlock is down on time. It was... okay.

Project Warlock
    I've been meaning to try Project Warlock for a long time, even talking about it here last year. Now, I finally got to it. And it was okay, I guess? I feel like it tried way too hard to emulate old boomer shooters, meaning it kinda had no identity on its own. It also led to it also emulating all the shortcomings of the old boomer shooters.

For once, the game uses all of the unfair strategies of Doom 2 to make it artificially harder, like spawning enemies right behind you (or even exactly on you), placing enemies right behind doors or to the start of the level in a way that they stat shooting before you can even react and so on... Levels are very linear and short. I don't think there was single level, where I would spent more than 5 minutes in. Also for some reason, some secret passages lead right to the end of the level, meaning I sometimes unintentionally straight up skipped the whole level.

The story is uninspired mess. On your quest to eradicate all evil (for some reason), you have to go through evil locations like ancient Egypt or Antarctica and beat masters of evil like Sphinx or a tank. Yeah, just some random tank. I have no idea what were they thinking, but this story is so unsatisfying and barely gives any reason for changing assets. On the other hand, I love the design of the monsters. They are so cute for some reason. Also some levels had this eerie atmosphere and gave out liminal space feel.

I didn't feel like playing on harder difficulty, because I read that you have to restart the whole game after dying. To compensate this, I decided to soft-lock me to melee weapons. And it worked really well. The game let's you level up melee damage and even gives you some nice perks. Like healing through melee damage. Which usually meant I was unkillable. There were also spells, which were certainly part of this game. I think I've used like one spell once and that was it. There were way too little of them and they were lacking in every way.

Overall, this was a game. While fun, it was also forgettable and just not on par with recent boomer shooters. 5.5/10.

For the next month, I'll finally play HROT. Hopefully it will be better than Project Warlock. And I'm sure I'll finish Fire Emblem: Engage soon. I've been obsessed with it since I got it. The gameplay is so fun. The story and characters are so stupid they became funny.

Years
  • I finally found a moment to make an update about games I've finished early this month.

Total War: Three Kingdoms

This is my first Total War game since Napoleon, which was released quite a while ago. And since these grand strategies are not really something I would play often, I was a little bit worried I would get totally overwhelmed by the sheer number of factions and mechanics in the game.

Surprisingly, my stay went well. I started the game in the first recommended period with the recommended faction of Ccao Ccao, and I quickly got a grasp of all the basic mechanics. As someone who has no knowledge of China's history, I was eager to learn something new and read about the events of the Three Kingdoms, and in the end, I found out that my campaign and win were similar to how it all went down in real life. That was nice.

But I felt like I barely touched everything the game had to offer in that one playthrough. So I picked another time period, which shuffled the cards of all factions and even added and removed some. I picked another faction. This time, I played as one of the tribes in the south of China. And I was surprised by how much the gameplay differed between factions. There was also a story questline, which served as an alternative way to win. In my first playthrough, I mostly ignored it. This time, I decided to try it. The goal of this faction was to unite all tribes and conquer the south of China. I really enjoyed Tribes' gameplay. Their units had more soldiers in them than other factions, which meant I usually won just by the numbers. They also had elephants. Not just as a unit but also as a rideable animal for generals. And these were really sought after by other factions. So some of my income was from selling elephants to other factions. Especially to the ones that had no land in the south, so I never had to worry about them using them against me.

In my next playthrough, I once again tried something new. This time, I'm playing as Bandit Queen. Her playstyle revolved around taking over land and selling it to the highest bidder while slowly building her own small network of bandits. I once again followed up on her story questline because there was no way I would be able to take over China with her. She started without any land and was placed right between the two strongest factions. It was fun.

Overall, I enjoyed my time with the game. It was surprisingly easy to get into, but it required a lot of work to get a hold of some mechanics. I think I might return to it one day. 8.

Call of the Sea

Call of the Sea is a great example of using horror tropes in a non-horror game. It takes cosmic horror lore and puts it in the most colorful and positive game I've played in a while.

The gameplay is simple; it's a nice mix of walking sim and puzzle game. Some puzzles got quite hard, and there are some that I never solved; instead, I just guessed the answer. The gameplay loop usually lets you enter a semi-open area where you have to solve several puzzles while looking for clues on how to solve them. The HUD was minimal and never gave away any clues by itself, and it helped a lot in immersing myself in the game.

I just love how colorful the whole game was. Starting with the tropical beach and continuing on with otherworldly locations. Even parts that take time at night are awesome. As I said, it's rare to see a game tackle Lovecraftian lore and not be a horror game.

Overall, I think this might be a contender for the best game I've played this year. 9.5.

Years
  • I'm fairly productive this month. Fire Emblem Engage is done. Really weird game. But I won't spoil anything. Let's talk about it.

Fire Emblem Engage
    I can't believe it has been almost 6 years since the last time I played Fire Emblem. Three Houses kinda missed me, but I was looking forward to Engage.

It's mind-blowing how good, but also how bad, this game is. I love the gameplay of Fire Emblem and Engage does really well in this regard. It streamlines the Fire Emblem formula a little bit. I always felt lost in previous FE games because of the sheer number of skills, combinations, and possibilities. Engage lets each character have only a few skills. There are also no romantic bondings and making kids, which was always my least favourite part of 3DS titles.
    The titular Engage mechanic was fun to use, but I felt like there were way too many jack-of-all-trades Emblems, that didn't really do much. There were some Emblems that I felt were underused. I couldn't find the right way to utilize them. I don't think there was a moment when I used Leif or Eirika to their full potential. The limited number of deployable characters also didn't help, because I wanted to use some specific characters but also use all available Emblems. Which resulted in some characters having an Emblems just so they had one. But overall, I loved it. It made me feel so powerful.

I wasn't a fan of the grind the game requires for you to use the Emblems to their full potential. But luckily, I got enough material to let my main ~5 characters inherit one or even two skills from Emblem they weren't in sync with.

The story was bad. It's probably one of the most boring and generic story I've seen this year. And just as boring and generic characters. It feels like every good character shares the same "goody two-shoes" personality, and every bad character shares the same "evil just to be evil" personality. At least it was so bad that it was entertaining to watch from time to time.

I also didn't like the characters' designs that much. It feels like they were first made for that FE gacha game first and then tried to fit them in this game. They all look like they got lost while on their way to a casting for yet another generic Isekai anime. When I first saw the main villain, I couldn't stop laughing.

Overall, the gameplay still won me over, and I completely voluntarily did as much as I could in the game. 7.

I'm also almost done with Star Wars Jedi Survivor. I like it, but I feel like the story is not as good as Fallen Order.

Now, I'll probably give Tears of the Kingdom a try. I'm going on a vacation soon and will spend about 5 hours in a plane, so I think TotK's shrines will be the right fit for this trip.

Years
  • I'm currently enjoying my time on Canary Islands, but I managed to write down my thoughts on Star Wars Jedi Survivor. It was a nice sequel.

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor
    Fallen Order was great. As someone, who wasn't keen of AAA games in the last 10 years, it was fun. And Survivor is a more fluid, faster and more polished Fallen Order. In most parts.

I enjoyed the different fighting stances a lot, though I felt like the two swords (whether joined or separated) were the most OP. But I like the idea behind each of them. The sword + blaster was pretty fun. I enjoyed blasting enemies right before they attacked. Crossguard was too slow for me, which is a bit of a shame.

I found it a bit easier than Fallen Order. Quite often the game relied on throwing the player into an arena and sending several waves of enemies at them. I didn't like that at all and it artificially increased the difficulty. But even the bosses were quite a bit easier. They had easy movesets and I honestly only died 4 times on bosses in the whole game.

I thought the story was worse than Fallen Order. I did like that it was an Indiana Jones adventure, but Dagan and the Raiders were very weak bad guys. I didn't feel for a second that they were a threat. In contrast, I thought the Inquisition in the first game was so much better. From the beginning, I felt like Dagan wasn't even close to Cal. I think that would still be okay. But then it all went to shit. From the moment Bode betrays Cal the story starts to fall apart incredibly fast and the game tries to balance it out with wannabe emotional cutscenes. I don't know what's more stupid. The betrayal of Bodo, which I predicted in the first hour of play, or the fact that they made him a Jedi. That is such an incredibly boring and unnecessary twist. And it makes no sense at all. It really ruined the last fifth of the game for me.

It's a shame that the game is more linear too. I missed not being able to pick my way through the map and maybe fight other enemies that way. The side activities were otherwise pretty ok. Just a shame that 99% of the rewards were cosmetic rewards.

Overall, I enjoyed it. But it didn't really enhance the experience in all important parts of Fallen Order. 8.5.

Years
  • Tunic
    Okay, where do I start with this game? Tunic is one of the most complex games I've played this year. And yet, it's so simple.

It is a homage to the old era of video games. It barely tells you anything at first and instead let's you experience everything by yourself. Well, it tries to simulate the old games by using a manual that you can collect and read through during the game. And I really dig this idea. Especially since there is this small detail of your game zooming out and revealing that it's playing on the old TV the whole time. The manual and most of the text in the game are written in a language you can't understand. And I love this idea, because it brings out some forgotten memories of me playing games in english or german and not understanding a thing.

The game doesn't hide its inspiration with Zelda games. The main character's outfit and weapons are inspired by Link. But the world design also feels like something out of classic 2D Zelda game. You're constantly encountering areas you can't access right away and have to backtrack quite a lot. But I felt that sometimes the game is way too obscure with what to do next. I got stucked several times not really knowing what to do, only to find there was hidden path somewhere.

One aspect of the game I didn't like was the combat. It was a weird mix of Zelda and Dark Souls mechanics. You had one sword and one combo, but also could dodge via roll and you had to learn enemies movesets to beat them. But there was one small detail that I had a hard time getting over. The moment the enemy attacks, coming in a contact with any part of them, you get hurt. Which meant I dodged the attack, but still got hurt because I rolled towards the enemy. Which made no sense, since I had to get closer to them, because the sword had a small range. It took me so long to get over this. The bosses were highlights of the combat system. I enjoyed them.

Overall, it was great game that brought back some memories and it was a game after a while, that actually made me try to get better, while also having fun. 9/10.

I'm currently playing through Tears of the Kingdom and I still don't understand all the 10 it gets. It's so bland and boring. I just finished the whole Stable Points rewards system and all I the grand reward were 3 carrots. Like I didn't have to waste my time with it and get better rewards. I don't expect it to get any better. There is barely any motivation to do anything. And every puzzle is so simple that you can finish it in few seconds. It just feels like a waste of time.

Years
  • Okay, this month is almost over, so during the free time I could find between IRL, GT and the slog of TotK, I finally found the time for my Game-Along game - The Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe.

The Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe
    I love the original The Stanley Parable. It was easily one of my all-time favourite games of all time. I was looking forward this new version, but when it got released, it felt victim to my "I'll buy it later" mindset that I'm trying to get rid of. So that's why I'm getting to it now, almost a year after the release.

The game has all the original endings and a bunch of new content. I decided to do some original endings first and even got the ending with credits. I like how some endings were changed and updated. Like the ending, where in the original the narrator changes the game to Minecraft and Portal, this time around, it's Firewatch and Rocket League. I also got some endings that I never encountered in the original game, which was also nice.

The new content was surprisingly linear. I had to clear one ending for another to be available. But I guess it also allowed for better storytelling. One of my favourite endings in the original game is the one with the museum. I always liked this kind of microworld and meta commentary in-game. So I was satisfied with the choice of having the whole new content revolve around these concepts. There is a new "museum", the whole expo about the sequel and just really well-done commentary on a uselessness of certain game mechanics like collecting stuff. Which is even funnier because I'm also playing TotK, which is all about collecting useless stuff, getting awful rewards for this and acting like it's a right way to do this. Nice contrast here.

This is the game that is hard to describe and I think everyone has to experience this kind of game on their own. But it's not without faults. I encountered few bugs that I don't think were in the original, which was a bummer.

Overall, just like the original, this new version breaks most gaming conventions and plays by its own rules. And you probably know by now, that I like exactly this type of games. 9.5/10.

I think I'm almost done with Tears of the Kingdom. I'm on my 6th trip around Hyrule and I think I'm pretty much done with the side content (as in there isn't anything else to see) and can move to the main story. On PC, I'm going to continue with my small Summer Sale backlog. I'm deciding between Marvel's Spider-man Remastered, Ghostwire: Tokyo and Darkest Dungeon II. Might actually manage to beat all of them in September as I'll have quite a lot of free time.

Years
  • Okay, it's time. I'll never ever boot up Tears of the Kingdom again, so let's talk about it.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
    For the record, after playing Breath of the Wild and finding it shallow, empty, boring, and several steps behind previous Zelda games, I didn't want to bother with Tears of the Kingdom, because it looked more of the same. But I got it as a gift from my friends, who know I like Zelda games. I can't really blame them for it. So I felt like I had to play and finish it. What a toxic mindset I have... Anyway, for a while, I was thinking about just copying my thoughts on BotW and adding one paragraph at the top and one at the bottom. But it would be just as cheap as TotK, and I feel like I have to get this rant out of me.

Let's start with positive feedback. It's an okay sequel. It enhances BotW's already strong points but barely solves any of BotW's problems and introduces a bunch of new problems on top. The physics engine is even better than in BotW. It's insane how every single thing interacts with others. It all works like you imagine it would in real life. Most of the time, if you can think about it, you can most likely do it. The shrines are also a little bit better. I still think they are stupid additions that take away time from doing something more fun. If BotW's shrines were laughably trivial, TotK's shrines are just trivial. It's because Link's abilities are so much better this time. But shrines still get repetitive quickly and just feel like artificial prolonging of the gametime. In the end, I finished about 130 shrines before I decided to drop them and focus on the main quests. I'm glad there weren't any motion-control-based ones, and I like that battle shrines now put you in somewhat cool arenas without equipment. But the rest were pretty boring. Like, put a wooden plank over a hole to walk over it, make a windmill turn the other way, or use an ALREADY-BUILD vehicle to get to the end of the shrine.

The worst part about TotK is the "quantization" of all quests. Pretty much every quest follows the same formula: "Hi, I'm X. Bring me/Find Y pieces of item Z." It doesn't matter if Z are shrines, wells, caves, big frogs, small frogs, dragon tears, acorns, milk, herbs, or anything else; there are barely any quests that aren't the most basic and shallow fetch quests. Even the biggest main quest is about solving 4 problems (exactly like in BotW). I think I might have gotten over that if the rewards were... well... rewarding. Most of the time, I either got the most basic item I already had a bunch of pieces of or rupees. Which brings me to another problem with the game. You usually get tens of rupees, while everything costs thousands of rupees. And it's not just rupees problem. You need quite a bunch of items to upgrade your armor, but drop rates are abysmal, and as you progress in the game, basic enemies stop spawning, so you have a hard time getting their drops.

For the puzzles and events in the overworld, the game wants you to feel like you can tackle them as you see fit. But then the game also offers you the exact items it wants you to use. And most puzzles can be solved by building one of three vehicles: a balloon (or something to fly), a ship (or something to swim), or a bridge (or something to cross a gap). So why would I waste my time and resources when the game already gives me the most logical and easiest solution? And the same can be said about fights. Not only is the battle system really simple and gets old quickly, but since most enemies are damage sponges, you'll have to waste several of your weapons to kill them. And as a reward, you'll get subpar weapons. So I tried to avoid as many fights as possible. And I still got bunch of 80+ power weapons at my disposal. Which didn't matter at all, because I beat Ganondorf only using Master Sword anyway.

The dialogues are really basic. Most of them are just plain descriptions of what just happened. Like this situation from the start of the game: You are investigating what happened to Zelda. You see her in the ruins of what used to be Hyrule Castle. One NPC that goes there with you tells you that it was Princess Zelda at the ruins. You then go to another NPC who asks you what happened, and then they repeat that you just saw Princess Zelda at the ruins. The rest of the dialogue just feels so unnatural. Every NPC will tell you that you should either check out some location or talk to someone else. And it will always highlight the location, so you can't miss it. It's way on your nose.

The story was executed poorly. There was like one story thread, and I solved it fairly quickly via a side quest. Which then had no effect on the main quest, and I had to "solve" it again. And it's a shame, because the start of the game is interesting. But just like in BotW, once you get the option to tackle the main quest however you see fit, it just stops working. Since you can go beat any of the temples first, you'll get the same cutscene, giving you a little bit of a backstory four times. It's literally the same cutscene with a few frames changed based on what race you helped. Played four times. Unskippable. The final act is also really meh gameplay-wise. You just go from one room to another and face wave after wave of enemies.

The temples are pretty meh. They are empty and lack any interesting ideas or mechanics. There is one that looks like a flying ship. But the inside doesn't seem like a ship at all. It's just the same texture, like some random ruins in Hyrule. It has huge empty rooms with a treasure chest or an enemy inside. It feels so half-assed. And the rest of the temples are not better. All temples have the exact same quest. Activate 5 things using the power of your companion. Speaking of companions, they are supposed to help you on your journey. But since I finished most of the side activities and exploration prior to getting any of them, I can say they are pretty useless. There was one cave, inside which I needed the Goron companion to enter, but that was it.

And it's a shame, because the start of the game is decent. The initial expedition to the Depths and the first encounter with Ganondorf are cool. The tutorial in the Skies is also promising. But then, as you drop to Hyrule, the quality of the game drops too. And you're back in an empty and unnecessarily large Hyrule again. I would say that most of my gameplay was going in a straight line from one shrine or point of interest to another. Like literally just holding a forward button to run, climb, swim, or fly to my goal while watching my stamina meter go down. It might probably be more fun to watch paint dry.

While BotW had one uninteresting map to explore, TotK has three of them. As I said, Hyrule is just as awful as in BotW. The Sky map is empty for 99%, and the rest is made out of few copypasted islands that are barely worth exploring. And finally, The Depths, which is just empty Hyrule in the dark with nothing interesting to find at all.

And since this is getting way too long, let me just ask some questions about stuff I didn't get to: Why does everything take so long? Why do I have to pause the game and go to the menu when my weapon breaks to select a new one? Why do I have to pause the game, select my fuse material from the menu, drop it, go to the weapon menu, pick the one I want to fuse, then go to the fuse menu, and finally fuse these things together? Why do I have to pause my game, select cooking materials, and drop them on the cooking pot? The same goes for those gacha machines. Why can I only buy a limited number of items and then have to wait until those items are restocked? Why are some repeating dialogues/cutscenes skippable and some aren't? Why can't I exchange more shrine orbs for lives/stamina at once? Why is everything so expensive, and why are you given such bad rewards for everything?

Overall, I think this would be a really cool regular Zelda game. But the change of the formula and open-world design makes it really a slog to get through. 6.5/10.

Now I'm playing Marvel's Spider-man Remastered and I'm having a really great time. While it's also open-world, it's a nice change from TotK. It's less bloated and actually fun and rewarding to do all the stuff around the map.

Years
  • Okay, Marvel's Spider-man took me completely by surprise. To the point that I finished it 2 weeks ago and I still don't know how to talk about it. So this post might end up either super short or super long...

Marvel's Spider-man
    Spider-man was my favourite superhero when I was a child. For a long time, Spider-man's comics were the only comic books I ever read. So I was looking forward to this game, be it only for the story. Because I remember watching the game when it got released on Playstation and didn't really like all the open-world aspects of the game.

Well, maybe it's because ToTK open-world was god awful, but I love small activities in this game and 100% it, alongside the DLC. I think it helped that the scope is a lot smaller. Nothing is too far away on this map, and moving around the map is fun. In ToTK, when I got one collectable, I knew there were at least 100 other copies of this collectable to find, and I would spend several hours just going to them. In Spider-man, there are rarely more than 10 of the same collectables, and they are close enough to get them in about an hour. Plus, it feels more organic. From time to time, Spider-man just says he should patrol a city a little bit, and the game gives you some time to do some side content. Which helps the pacing of the story. When you're in a hurry, you can really just do the story. When you're not, you can do side content. The story takes you all around the city, so you usually get to all the collectibles on your way to the next mission anyway. Which brings me to one small negative thing about this approach. Towards the end of the game, I had literally nothing to do on the map and just waited on one spot until the game let me continue.

The story was cool. I like these versions of Spider-man characters and got somewhat invested in them. It got predictable at points, but it was executed perfectly. Is there even a point in talking about graphics, audio, and cinematography in AAA games? These will always be high, because that's what sells. I had bigger problems with some weird gameplay decisions. Some missions had you go to them, watch a cutscene, and... that's a whole mission. And sometimes, there were several of these "missions" back to back. I wasn't a fan of this. There were also lots of stealth missions. Which were okay, but again, there were so many of them back to back. Almost the whole second act is just about stealth missions. Just let me play as Spider-man, please. Bossfights also felt similar. You are supposed to use the same strategy on all of them, and it gets old fast. Otherwise, I think the battle system was the standard I would expect from an action adventure game.

Overall, this was a solid game. I enjoyed it more than I expected, and when I'm done with my current list of games, I'll continue with Miles Morales. 9/10.

I tried Phoenotopia: Awakening, but I had a problems with my controller, so I dropped it. So now, I'm playing Darkest Dungeon 2 for Game-Along. I hope I can finish it on time. I beat the first chapter on my second try, which was surprising, but I also got quite lucky. The second chapter seems to be a lot harder. Hopefully, I can finish it on time. I'm also playing Advance Wars remake and I just finished the first game. It's so good. Can't wait to get to the second game, but I don't think I'll be able to finish it this month.

Years
  • September is ending and I was gaming less than I expected. Bunch of IRL stuff happened and I had to focus on that. Don't worry, all of it was very positive, but it required me to turn my attention towards it. Because of that, I just beat Darkest Dungeon 2 few hours ago, after basically speedrunning the back half of the game. As for the Advance Wars remake, I only beat the first two missions of the second game. I'm loving it.

Darkest Dungeon 2
    You probably noticed by now that I enjoy challenging games. But I hate when a game is deliberately grindy or unfair to make itself more challenging. Back when the first Darkest Dungeon was released, I heard from several of my friends that it is build around being grindy and unfair. So I never bothered with it. But with the second game leaving EA, I decided to give it a try.

And to my surprise, this one is pretty chill. I was afraid I would spend several runs just learning about the game and getting my ass kicked pretty hard. I got to the first chapter's boss on my second run and beat it on my third run. I thought I was just lucky and second chapter had a small difficulty spike, but even the second chapter was pretty easy. The biggest problems arose from me not knowing some locations. For example, I had no idea what Chirurgeon's Table does and found out a hard way that it's just not a worth stop. Same with Lairs. I had no idea there will be a boss and it costed me few runs before I learned how to tackle them.

I spent majority of my gameplay in chapter 2, because I was learning about the game, unlocked new heroes and abilities and tried new team compositions. My final team was Hellion, Leper, Runaway and Vestal. Hellion and Leper were my main damage dealers and they could usually kill weaker enemies in one hit. Runaway had great way to put combo and vulnerable tokens on enemies, meaning Leper could attack without worrying about his blind tokens. Runaway could also put fire dots on enemies, which was a great way to deal with death's door on enemies. Or to finish off enemies with small amount of HP. And Vestal was great healer and overall backrow support, who could also hit all positions. She could also act as some sort of tank. I kept this team for the rest of the game, since it fit me well.

I love the art style. Every enemy and location have strong eldritch horror energy. I love that bosses have 3D effect, or at least it seemed like they are in 3D, in otherwise 2D game. It gives them bigger otherworldy feel.

The story was weak. I liked the final twist, but it doesn't redeem the rest of the game. You are given small story snippets after each run, but only when you beat each chapter, the story actually moves somewhere. Each hero also has their own story. But they feel way too edgy and dark and they usually are pretty forced. I get that they want to be consistent with game's mood, but they ended up uninteresting because of this.

It also felt like the game got repetitive fairly quickly. It was easy to find locations that were worth it to explore, so I knew which ones to skip. Same can be said about items. There were some really good, but most of them felt like they are not worth it. There also wasn't a huge number of enemy types, so regular battles got boring and I was usually just looking forward the final boss of each chapter, because they were great. Each of them had their own mechanics and strategies and especially the final boss had exceptionally good design. Last but not least, the game felt a little bit unfair. It wasn't rare for the game to roll negative perks for my heroes in each Inn, when I had otherwise flawless run or just randomly giving them to my heroes during the run. Or give my heroes negative relationships effects, when they had positive relationship. It felt like the game is deliberately trying to sabotage me, when I only played by its rules and was winning.

Overall, it was nice roguelite, but I don't think I'll be returning to it any time soon, because there just aren't that many interesting things to do. 7.5/10.

And that's all for September. I doubt I'll have much time to game in October, but I would like to play some horror game. Probably next Silent Hill game. I think I'm done with good Silent Hill games, so this one will be... something. There are also games from my Summer Sale purchase. I'll hopefully be able to beat at least one of them.

Years
  • I took a pause from PC (and most of sites I have done presence on, you could call it a digital detox), so I'm dumping all of my gaming achievements for the month in this post. It was pretty good month. I crossed off another AAA game from the last year - Ghostwire: Tokyo, that ended up just like I imagined it - good premise and visuals completely buried under the mediocre gameplay mechanics that felt like a checklist of stuff to include because it's in popular AAA games. I also played Pizza Tower, which was fun nostalgia ride and homage to games I've never played. On the other hand, I've played original Advance Wars, so Advance Wars remake just scratched another itch and nostalgia feeling. To wrap up the month, I played yet another Silent Hill game. Still better than Silent Hill 4. But not by much. And at the total end of the month, I also managed to beat Master Detective Archives: Raincode. I didn't expect to beat it this month, but it was good alternative for a book, while I was lying in bed. Now, let's take a proper look at these games...

Pizza Tower
    Pizza Tower is a game with no tower made out of pizza. That's called false advertising. I haven't felt so betrayed ever since I was told There Is No Game and it became my personal best game of that year.

Pizza Tower is homage to Warioland. Or at least that's what I'm told. I never played Warioland. I was worried the game won't have the same effect on me because I had no attachmen to Warioland, but I had a blast. It actually reminded me of a different game - Jazz Jackrabbit 2. And that's my favourite game.

The art style is very Jazz-like. It looks like it was made in Paint and I love it. The wacky expressions are right from the Jazz, but made more... expressive? What I mean is they convey more emotions that's just rage or fright. I love the stages. They all have distinct theme and such a dream-like feel to them. I would mind if there were more stages per floor. I love how the game managed to take somewhat ordinary locations, turn them in fun stages, put references to other games and media and keep the overall theme of pizza in all of them.

Given that all trailers were about speed and its even one of the first thing you're taught in the tutorial, I thought I'm supposed to move fast and that there is a timer not just for running back from the end to the start, but for the whole level and it just reveal itself after you destroy the stone guy. Because of this, I cleared the whole first floor except for the bossfight just by running into everything. I also barely explored these stages, yet I managed to get almost all jailed vegetable, or whatever that was. I think it was reference of the original Rayman game, because you collect caged creatures (in the similar fashion) there too. And so, I got to the first boss like this. And actually made it into his second phase after few tries. But I was wondering if I'm doing something wrong. This is the first boss afterall and I can barely hit him. I suddenly remembered there was also a button to attack. So I tried it. And it worked! The impossible boss suddenly became easy. And my entire view of the game changed. I can go slow. What a revolutionary idea!

Ever since then, I spent more time in each stage, now not just blindly running forward, but actually exploring it. But there is one mechanic that I think was a little bit overdone. Pretty much every stage had its own gimmick. And most of them are really simple and barely flashed out. There are few that appear in multiple stages and these are the ones with the most depth in them. Each stage uses them a little bit differently. Some gimmicks look great visually, like the ones, which turns the main character in pizza in some way. One as dough, one as pizza box... They are fun. But for each fun one, there is one that is annoying to control (which is an achievement in a game that uses 3 keys on a keyboard), has boring puzzles or is just not that great as the rest.

I already spoke about the first boss a little bit, but there is a weird curve when it comes to bosses. The first one has the most HP, maybe except for the final bossfight, but only because that bossfight has a lot more phases. Each consensual boss has less HP and arguably easier attacks. It also feels like their movesets repeat. Most of them has similar attacks. But each fight takes place in the same small arena, so there probably isn't many options for possible attacks.

Overall, I had a lot of fun with this game and enjoyed the nostalgia ride it offered. 8/10.

Advance Wars
    If one game shouts Game Boy Advance era for me, it's Advance Wars. I love this series. But I don't think I ever finished the original as a kid, despite playing it for years. And I'm not sure if I ever played the sequel before this remake. Probably yes, because I remember some characters exclusive only to the second game, but I'm not sure. So I was looking forward this remake and was happy when it got finally released and was getting positive ratings. As you can probably imagine, while I'm always trying to look at games I play critically and from all perspectives, my thoughts on Advance Wars will be heavily biased, because I love the game and while I can try, I don't think I can look at it objectively.

Advance Wars scratches the itch Fire Emblem couldn't for a long time. Actually, to compare it to with more fitting game, Advance Wars is the game Wargroove desperately wants to be, but can't. I don't think I've talked about Wargroove in this thread, but it's basically just a bad attempt at making Advance Wars without understanding what makes Advance Wars such a gem. And it got a sequel just released. Which is kinda sad.

What makes Advance Wars genius, and what I found really lacking in FE: Engage, are maps. Every single tile has a meaning for it. They are all the exact distance from each other as they need to be. They all play a crucial role in all maps. For example, in the first game, there is a mission, where you have to survive for a set amount of turns. You start on a small island with only a bridge connecting it to the rest of the map, which is all controlled by your opponent. Not only you can block the bridge with your tanks and shoot at your opponent using your rockets, but after being overwhelmed by the sheer amount of enemy units, you can use your lander to hide among reefs in the water. And every reefs is far just enough for you to hide there. During another mission in the second game, you have to save your city. To get to it, you have to get through forest that is swarming with enemies and around huge cannons that are ready to destroy any unit they see. Once again, you have to use terrain to your advantage. And once again, forest tiles are put together in a way that you have to calculate and take risks, because sometimes your units with be exposed to the cannons. In one of my favourite maps, you have to destroy another bunch of these annoying cannons. You start with few battleships that can take care of these cannons, but they have to get to them first. There is a small canal going there, but it's full of enemies, so you have to clear it first. And when you get to the cannons, you see reefs in which you can hide. But these reefs are too far and you can't shoot at cannons. There are also enemy rocket launchers hidden around their cannons, meaning you have a hard time getting out of the reefs and attacking. Meaning you have to build a ground force too to have a chance to destroy these cannons. All while being on soft timer because your battleships have limited fuel that gets used every turn. And these are just few example of great map design in these two games.

One thing I wasn't really a fan of was that in the back half of the second game, each mission took way too long to beat. There was one that took me over two and a half hours to beat. And never during this time I felt like I was going to lose. It was just a slow burn that couldn't end fast enough. I also feel like some maps reused a lot of ideas from previous maps and barely build up on them. While I loved maps with clutches on tight bridges or narrow spaces, for a while this was all some maps had to offer. And there final two maps, which are suppose to be a grand finale were a huge letdown. One of them is just annoying to deal with, since the whole map par your base is under a threat of cannons and the final map doesn't really feel like the ultimate showdown. If anything, Great Naval Battle, a third mission from the end, felt more like a final showdown with the forces of Black Hole. But it might also be because towards the end, I started utilising Bombers more. Bombers proved to be too powerful for maps with limited number of anti-air units and they made the final mission trivial, since I basically avoided all the fighting and just flew and destroyed the mission's objective with my bombers before my opponent could react.

I think the story was really poorly executed and it felt like I'm missing some cutscenes or dialogues, especially in the first game, because suddenly I went from protecting myself from blue nation to attacking yellow guys for no reason. I had no idea what happened. And then I was attackig green folks. Only to join together out of the blue to fight Black Hole. Then the final villain just disappears and the game ends. There was like one line of a dialogue that tried explaining any of it. The story in the second game is a lot better, but it's still not something extraordinary.

I also like the fact that the devs kept original CO powers in the first game, leaving some of them OP and then using both regular and special CO powers for the sequel. This way, you could get a good look at some powers and enjoy their overpowerenes, before they got nerfed in the sequel. Otherwise, I think the characters were somewhat balanced, but some were simply better than the others. While I like and enjoyed Sensei's ability, it wasn't that strong as some others, for example. I'm looking at you, Eagle.

I also quite enjoyed the art style and visuals of the game. They are in a contrast with the dark reality of the war, but I think the are fine. I like that each faction had different design of each unit, but it made some hard to identify. For example I had a hard time telling Black Hole's tank and recon apart.

Overall, I'm glad this series is getting the love and attention it deserves. I'm looking forward new entries. 9.5/10.

Ghostwire: Tokyo
    I remember when the first trailer for Ghostwire dropped. It was so intriguing! People are disappearing around Tokyo and these weird monsters based on Japanese folklore are appearing all around the city. I remember that it was marketed as a mystery game, where you slowly discover the truth. That all with original battle system, in which your character can cast magic with their hand. Then the final product dropped and everyone quickly forgot about it. Like the game got released and it was gone in less than week. Why was that?

The game has really cool visuals. The city of Tokyo looks amazing. There are so many details in each corner, the lighting is great and gives a whole game an eerie atmosphere, which is only complemented by the creepy monsters. Faceless Slenderman-like creatures, headless students, ghosts... They look great. One of my favourite gaming moments this year must be my first encounter of a Demon Parade. It's an event you can encounter randomly and is a huge parade of these monsters as they are hidden in a fog, so you can barely make out their outlines, while you hear an ominous, but cheerful music following them. There are Yokai you can interact with and they all look great. Your magic is colourful and has cool particle effects. Visually, this game is stunning. You can see someone put their soul in making this world.

But that's only one face of this game. Because hidden under this glitter is... very mediocre game. It feels like someone put together a list of popular gaming mechanics and put them in this game without really flashing any of them. Or thinking if they even fit this game.
    Grappling hook? CHECK
    Parkour? CHECK
    Empty open-world? CHECK
    Useless collectibles? CHECK
    Towers that reveal your map? CHECK
    Forced stealth sections? CHECK
    Skill-tree? CHECK

And there is a lot more. The game has a really huge urgency. Like you're late to stop the villain right at the start of the game and have merely few hours, if even that, to stop him, before he completely finishes his plan. So you know what this game apparently needs? Side missions! And not only they are highlighted on your map, but each time a new one appears, the game specifically shows it to you. While these missions are short, it doesn't make sense for the main character to stop and hunt for a kappa, play hide and seek with souls or investigate a haunted house. They are on strict time limit and even have a personal stakes in it. And during the story cutscenes, they are restless and all they want to do is to save their sister.

Speaking of the main character, this is the only characteristic he'll get during the whole game. He has almost no other emotions or motivations. He has no life outside the main plot of the game. It's like he don't even exists outside the main plot of the game. He just popped in the existence with the only goal to save his sister and after the credit scene, he'll disappear again. He also has a spirit, a companion, tied to him at the start of the game. This spirit is a former paranormal cop and while he has a little bit of personality and motivations to do what he does, he's also mostly just blank slate. An inconsistent slate. In one cutscene he says that he didn't care about civilian casualties, but not even a minute later, he talks about how you must save every single soul you encounter.

And the game is full of these inconsistencies. For example the souls you can gather during your journey. I'm okay with you using just a (holy) paper to suck them in and then send them over the telephone outside the city so someone can resurrect them. But why? The game tells you these souls are important for the main villain's plan. But he made these souls. He is literally the reason they all died. Why can't he just collect them using his magic? Maybe they need to go willingly? That's why he has all these broadcasts over the city telling the souls to go to him. Well, no, because we see him using some kind of cubic prison to trap souls. So maybe he can only do it to nearby souls? Well, no, because in the intro, he traps every souls in the area at once. So maybe that's why he's using all these monsters? To gather up all the souls? Well, no, because they are eating away these souls. The more you think about it, the less the plan makes sense.

And it all takes plummets in the middle of the game. Last 3 chapters don't feel completed. Chapter 4 is about getting a supernatural motorcycle oil (no, I'm not kidding) and a motor for your supernatural motorcycle to get to the final location. The quest have you literally going to 3 locations and getting the stuff there. But every interaction is replaced by the screen going black and playing a sound effect. Which is not something that would happen in previous chapters and it's very noticeable. Chapter 5 is about going through an empty linear path and killing 2 bosses. The final chapter is about going through an empty linear path and killing the final boss. They are less than an hour long and have literally nothing in them except for that one linear path.

Bosses are basic and also feel unfinished. The final boss uses the same moveset that one previous boss used. They are all about shooting and destroying masks on their bodies. And for some reason, each boss turns into a monster. Some of them have cool design, but that's pretty much all you can say about the whole game.

Actually... Overall, the game has really cool visuals and some fun ideas, but the execution and the badly implemented inclusion of some gaming mechanics pull this game down tremendously. 5/10.

Silent Hill: Homecoming
    I started playing Silent Hill games 2 years ago. I love the original trilogy and had fun with Origins. I wasn't a huge fan of Silent Hill 4, because while it had some great ideas, it didn't quite stick the landing. I much more prefer the lore of SH1, 3 and Origins than SH2, because I like the cultists twist on it, rather than the town is evil because it was build on an indian burial site. So I wasn't that happy with Homecoming going with SH2 lore. It also tried to connect this lore with SH1, SH3 and Origins.

It did pretty good job with it. SH2 lore allowed for monsters to appear in locations outside Silent Hill without forcing Heather to be there, while also tying the story to the SH cult. Silent Hill also makes an appearance, but only for a short amount of time. I like the implication that the main character meets Pyramid Head, but it doesn't care about him, because it isn't hunting him, instead it's (probably) hunting the protagonist of SH2. On the other hand, Shepherd's Glen is not that flashed out like Silent Hill and devs kept everything really grounded, so it never got that crazy like in SH2. Or in any other SH game.

The battle system was again revamped and it's once again not good. You can now dodge attacks and enemies are more prone to block your attacks. But your attacks sometimes doesn't register, enemies sometimes unleash a series of quick unblockable and undodgeable attacks that will cut your HP in half, some enemies are small so some of your attacks can't hit them and it just feel clunky and unoptimised. Fighting with enemies gets boring quickly. On the other hand there are fewer enemies, but most of them are mandatory to beat. Which is a shame in a series, where you could avoid most of the fighting.

Story was a nice surprise. I don't think it can match the original trilogy, but wasn't as awful as I expected and had some nice moments. Especially towards the end. I was surprised by how much I liked the revelation at the end of the game.

The biggest downside is the technical state of the game. PC version is almost unplayable and is crashing or lagging even with fan-made patches. But even patched, the gameplay is inferior to the original trilogy. It's more linear, with most doors in each location locked, there are almost no "waste your ammo/life for nothing" rooms, which were fun to encounter in the original trilogy, puzzles are all way too similar - find X pieces of an item and then put them somewhere in the correct order.

Overall, it was surprisingly okay addition to the Silent Hill games, but nothing that I would return to or even think as often as about the original trilogy. 6/10.

Master Detective Archives: Raincode
    A completely new IP on Switch that promised a detective mystery set in a city, where it never stops raining, and full of supernatural occurrences? Yep, sounds interesting.

It was made by the same people that made Danganropa, which is a series that I never played nor I know much about it. I know about the weird bear that puts students on deadly trials, but that was pretty much where my knowledge ends. So I wasn't sure what I'm getting into, but was looking forward to it. The game puts you in shoes of a amnesiac detective, who solves crimes with the help of a Shinigami.

The gameplay is divided into two sections. First one takes place in the tall world and have you gather clues about your current case. The second then takes place in a Mystery Labyrinth, a supernatural manifestation of the case, where you slowly put all pieces together and find the culprit. And it all sounds great on the paper. But there are two huge problems with the execution.

First, the tutorial, which took me more than 3 hours to complete, introduces some mechanics and ideas that never makes an appearance again, or show up once or twice during the rest of the game. The tutorial also makes a big deal about going around the labyrinth and finding dead ends. It even demonstrate to you that you can be wrong in your deductions, run in the dead end and having to rethink your steps. Which never happens. The labyrinth, as the name might make you believe, is no labyrinth at all. It's just a straight linear path, where you can't go wrong. Even when you try, the game will just stops you. And when you run in the dead end, it's because the game wanted you to run into it. There are few moments, when you're given a question and multiple choices of answers. All of them are wrong and will result in the dead end. And only when you try all of them, you are allowed to continue on the right path.

Then, there are mini-games in the Mystery Labyrinth, which got boring and annoying even during the tutorial. There is a deathmatch against over-designed villains of each case, which have you slashing their wrong deductions and lies using your clues. And it is fine, but sometimes feel like it's forced. Like you slash one lie and the deathmatch ends and the story continues, only for another deathmatch to appear soon, also with just one lie to slash. Sometimes, you are given enough clues to slash different lie, but because it's not a time for that lie yet, the game will tell you it's wrong and you have to slash different lie using different clue. Then, there is a mini-game, in which Shinigami, dressed only in revealing swimsuit, jumps in a barrel and you have to charge her by finding a word using the letters on the barrel. Yeah, it's as weird as it sounds. And since you can also put together different words that could fit the requirements from given letters... The rest of the mini-games could be summarised as "QTE with repeating animations".

The other problem is Shinigami herself. She's just such a weird character to have in a game like this. While the rest of the world is dark, grim and take itself seriously, Shinigami feels like she's a failed concept for a character from a bad Harem anime. Her dialogue can be divided into two categories. First, it's sexually inappropriate comments about other characters, the second is her insulting other characters for no reason. She is also sexualized so much. As I mentioned, she just randomly gets almost naked in one mini-game for no reason. Most of her solo animations are just a fanservicr She's also someone who has one of the worst dialogues in the game, for example "I'm so horny for mysteries". It's awful character, but luckily, she gets a little bit better as the game progress. But she's not the only bad character. To be honest, I didn't really like any of the main cast. They all were one-dimensional and usually repeated same few lines over and over again.

The pacing all over the place. As I said, a tutorial, which was really linear experience, was way too long. The dialogues are not really helping it. Most of it is so basic and don't give you any meaningful information. What I find funny is that the game is aware of its pacing issues and let's you fast forward in most dialogues and cutscenes. It knows it's a slog! But it gives you one of the worst solutions for it, because while fastforwarding some long passage in Mystery Labyrinth, you'll also accidentally skip some important dialogue.

The pacing have a huge negative effect on the overall experience and story. I really like the writing and each mystery. But they drag and drag and suddenly you've been gassing for an hour and moved the story only for like five seconds. Also some chapters felt like a filler. Like you get some story exposition at the start of the chapter, then solve crime that had nothing to do with it, and then you get some more exposition at the end of the chapter. Chapter 1 through 3 has nothing to do with the overall story. You are introduced to some locations and people, but they won't matter in the main story. They feel like they could have been a great side quests, but for some reason, they are in the main story. But it doesn't mean I didn't like them. I think especially 2nd chapter is one of the best. I love that it tackles interesting morale dilemma for the main character. His powers will inevitable kill the culprit, but Chapter 2 makes you question if that's the right outcome. Well, during the story, you're the only one who knows what is happening, everyone else will just see someone die without any reason, so...

It's only in Chapter 4, when the "main" story really starts and you feel like you're really progressing and solving the main mystery. And the takes all the way to Chapter 5 for the game to throw everything it has at you. It drops all the illusion of you being free to investigate how you want and puts you on one hell of a ride. Suddenly, it turns into a horror story and finally you feel like the stakes are high. It serves you completely linear, but awesome story. And it even made Mystery Labyrinth fun again. While I could solve most of the cases before even entering Mystery Labyrinth or shortly after, I was completely dumbfounded by the final twists.

Overall, I think if the game was trimmed and included half the chapters and dialogues, it would be really great detective mystery story. Especially the middle section of the game is one huge filler that slowly burns enjoyment out of the game. But the rest of the story is fun and engaging experience. 7.5/10.

Years
  • Okay, November flew away so quickly. I barely had any time for gaming, but I managed to... go completely off-rails on my initial plan. The Talos Principle 2 got released, so I had to play that. Then, the Czech & Slovak Gaming Week took place, so I bought few more Czech games and played one - Beyond the Wall. And in the end, I quickly played one run of Prince of Persia for this month's Game-Along.

The Talos Principle 2
    While the Portal was the series that introduced me to modern puzzle games, the original The Talos Principle was the game that made puzzle games one of my favourite genres. So I was stoked, when the sequel got released earlier this month.

The Talos Principle is at the core great and challenging puzzle game. You go from location to location and are tasked with solving themed puzzles. But it was the substance around these puzzles that made me remember the original for almost a decade. The story and the way it's presented is not original, plenty of games hide their story behind notes and small details, but it was the depth of the story. In the world of The Talos Principle, humanity is gone. Killed in an epidemic. You are the legacy of the last humans. You play as an AI trying to understand what it means to be human. And when you succeed, you're set free to the world in your new robotic body, full of potential to build a new civilization. The sequel picks up right after that. You play as 1000th robot that got created in this new world. It took thousands of years, but the civilization is slowly healing. But your character from the first game is gone. She became the character of legends. A living myth. And with her gone, robots question their own existence again. They wonder if their civilization is any better than humans before them. Should they try to live in balance with the nature or progress as much as they can? What does it even mean to be a human? Can a machine be a human? The work and influence of some of the greatest philosophers is all around this series. And that's what makes it stand above. It introduces you to some really weird ideas and then let you decide how you feel about them.

The core of the game are puzzles. I found them fun, but a little bit easier than in the first game. But I was 10 years younger and had barely any experience with this type of games. I was able to finish a high school and get Bachelor and Master degrees in the meantime. Of course I'll look at the puzzles differently and can't really judge if they are easier. There is an achievement for spending at least 20 minutes on one puzzle. I never got this achievement. What a shame. I also finished all puzzles this time around. I remember I never got all of them in the original. There were 12 areas with 8 regular puzzles, 2 optional "lost" puzzles, 2 statue puzzles and 1 golden puzzle. Regular puzzles usually had a simple goal of teaching you a new gimmick. Each area had its own gimmick. For example, there was a Invertor, which changed blue laser to red and vice versa, RGB connector and took any combination of two lasers and output the third colour. There was only one area that didn't really introduced anything new, it just themed the puzzles around various contraptions. I have to say that this area was my least favourite, because most of these puzzles were quite boring and usually had a very similar copy somewhere else in the game. Lost puzzles were a little harder puzzles with the new gimmick. Golden puzzles was a series of 12 extremely hard puzzles that unlocked towards the end of the game. But I think Statue puzzles were the hardest. There were 3 types of them. One was about finding an energy ball and bringing it to the statue. Then, there was a type of puzzle in which you had to explore the area and find a switch or something similar. And then probably the hardest kind of puzzles of them all. The one, where you had to think outside of the box and guide beams from several regular and lost puzzles to the statue. It was insane. Sometimes, it meant aligning yourself just right for the beam to go outside the puzzle area. And later on, you were even given tools outside the puzzles to solve this puzzle. Meaning the whole area became one huge puzzle. These ones gave me a run of my money.

Aside from puzzles, there is one aspect I loved about the original. The areas are huge and vast and nail the post-apocalyptic atmosphere of the world without humans perfectly. The nature is slowly reclaiming the Earth. In the first game, you were locked inside a cage and couldn't really move outside the puzzle areas. And I wanted to explore the world around. The second game changes this. It has these vast opened areas that are fun to explore. But once you fully explore them, it's a pain to get through them. I would love for the game to has some kind of in-area fast travel. At the start of the game, you find yourself in an elevator and can see the futuristic city of these new humans. And I thought to myself that it would be great to explore it, expecting it just to be a background. But then, the game surprised me and let me in the city. That was a great moment. Overall, it was an awesome ride from start to finish. It had everything I would expect from it, plus so much more. 9.5/10.

Beyond the Wall
    The P&C games tradition is strong in my country. Most Czech games in 80s and 90s were P&C games. Beyond the Wall is simple, yet effective homage to these games. It's crazy how simple and charming this game is.

There is no dialogue, barely any sound effects, it took me about 50 minutes to beat, but it managed to introduce and let you explore charming world. World that is dark and sometimes feel threatening, while also being full of wonders and coziness. The world, where everything feels familiar, but is unknown. It was a world out of a fairy tale. Really reminded me of Alice in Wonderland.

The gameplay loop is also pretty simple. You go from screen to screen and always have one objective to clear. For example, you start by getting over a titular wall, then have to find a way to clear a passage from frogs and so on... And there is one problem I had with the game. Some items that you need are hidden so well that they blend in with the background and there is no way to tell what is and what isn't an item. This lead to me, when stuck, clicking all over the screen to find an item. And the same happened with using the items. There was no way to know where you can and where you can't use an item, meaning I sometimes just clicked everywhere. There was one screen, on which I had a good idea, but was apparently clicking on the right spot in a wrong way.

Overall, I think it's for the best to keep this review the same as the game. Simple, short and (hopefully) charming. 8/10.

Prince of Persia
    The timeless classic. The Prince of Persia. It was one of the first games I've played and finished. But it took me few years to beat it. I picked it up again for this month's Game-Along as a last resort, because I knew I wouldn't be able to beat my initial pick on time. And because of that, I don't really have much to talk about. It's crazy how well this game aged. Yeah, it took me a while to get used to the controls, but after that, it was fine. I remember the game and layout quite well, but it also caused me some downfall, because I sometimes misremembered a placement of a trap and got killed because of that. What didn't age well was the battle system. But it never really clicked with me, so I might be just bad at it.

And like that's all I can say about it. It still hold up really well. The parkour is fun, animations are fluid and look great and pixel art is also still nice. It's also a game that can be finished in under an hour. Great blast from the past. 8/10.

For December, I'll try wrapping everything up. I'll look through the thread to see some games I mentioned and haven't beat. I'll also try some more games from this year, because there is no point in waiting and play them later.

Years
  • I'm slowly getting throught some last games before the end of the year. Slay the Princess is a new release. It got released few days before The Talos Principle 2, so it had to wait for a bit. But it's awesome cosmic horror game.

Slay the Princess
    Finally! This whole year, I've been playing really great and fun games. But I've been missing games that would leave me completely numb by how original or innovative they were. Games like Before Your Eyes, The Longing or There Is No Game. Something I'll remember for years to come. But it looks like the time has finally come. The time to Slay the Princess.

This was one of 2023 indie releases I've been keeping an eye on and bought pretty much day one. Well, the day I realized it got finally released. And it was worth it. Now, on the first sight it's pretty simple. A visual novel love story about a princess. But this game has so much more to offer.

In the game, you find yourself on the road in shoes of an adventurer, who got tasked with slaying the princess locked somewhere in a cabin in the woods. The narrator explains that the Princess will destroy the world. And so you'll slay her. Or not. The decision is on you. But whatever you go through with it or not, you find yourself again on the road and the narrator once again informs you about killing the Princess. But you remember what happened last time. And so does the Princess...

It's incredible how well this time loop works and how much you can change going from one loop to another. The cabin and the Princess changes each time you interact with them, each time reflecting on your decisions. Each loop has 2-4 chapters, after which everything resets. There are 10 different main "versions" of the Princess, ranging from a damsel in distress to cold-blooded killer, from the kind apparition to full-blown Poltergeist and so on. One of my last interactions with the Princess made her into a divine god of destruction. Each version then have their own iterations, meaning there is quite routes to take.

The game has really great visuals, being pretty much just black and white, with some hits of other colours from time to time. The Princess can be creepy and cute at the same time. I really like how her design changes from chapter to chapter from one route to another. They perfectly capture the same vibe I'm always getting from work of Junji Ito. And they are complemented by the sound design. You probably know I'm not really talking about audio design in my reviews, because I don't usually mind if it's good or bad. But I feel like I have to mention it here. The range of the voices is amazing. They fit the characters so well.

Overall, while the game is pretty short, it's one of the best horror games I've played. What a treat. 9.5/10.

Now, I started quite a few more games. I finally startes HROT. And picked one of the hardest difficulties for the 1st episode. It was a bad decision. I think I'll play 2nd and 3rd episodes on easier difficulty. I also started Inscryption. I went in completely blind and beat the first chapter of the game. I can understand why it's considered one of the best games in recent years. I also started Lies of P alongside one of my friends. I'm having fun with it. It's probably the first Souls-like game with the world structure and enemy placement closest to Dark Souls 1. And I think I'll finish Xenoblade Chronicles 3 soon.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I think it's slowly time to wrap everything up. I think I'll manage to beat and write about one or maybe two games before the end of the year. Then I want some time to analyse and get out my own GOTY post for this year. But first, let's talk about Inscryption.

Inscryption
    Yet another game I'm getting a little bit late into. And I think the description is the fault. The game is described as "deck building roguelite". And that's not really a genre I would find fun. But I also only really played early build of Slay the Spire, so I might reevaluate my stance towards this genre. It worked for CRPGs this year. Now, back to Inscryption.

Yeah, it does start out as a deck building roguelite game, but it's barely a surface. There is a great blend of puzzle and horror games right from the get go. After finishing the first chapter, there is a huge shift in the gameplay and the game loses the roguelite element. You're now on the adventure in a 2D world and fight everyone in a style of those Yu-Gi-Oh! 5Ds DS games. Great, now that I mentioned them, I want to replay them. You're still collecting cards and have to actually build a working deck. I liked this part of the game the best. It is something I was really looking for and aside from aforementioned YGO games and the old Pokémon TCG games on Game Boy, there are not many games like that. It's a shame. There is another shift in gameplay after this chapter, this time combining the styles of previous chapters. And to be honest, this was my least favourite chapter, because it dragged a lot by the end.

It's crazy how well does the different approaches to playing card games blend in this game. Your start with the simple mechanic of tributing weak cards to summon stronger cards, which is ripped straight out of old-school Yu-Gi-Oh!. This is the main mechanic that's all over the advertisement for the game. I also like the theme of wildlife these cards have. Then there are machine-themed cards, which works with energy. Your energy is replenish at the start of your turn and is increased by one, simulating the mana from Hearthstone. They were the deck I picked as my starter deck in the second chapter and I had fun with them. I tried to utilize a ramping strategy by using robots that increased my energy when played. Then there were undead cards that worked around killing your cards, getting bone tokens for it and then spending these tokens to summon stronger skeletons and zombies. And finally, there were sorcerers, whose main gimmick was placing a Mox cards, which worked similarly to Magic's lands. But all these archetypes worked really well together and there were even cards belonging to me than one archetype. For example, I used my weaker machines as a tribute fodder to summon a wildlife card and get a bone token for my undead cards. The secrets were fun to discover and puzzles were cool, but maybe too easy to solve. Some could be just brute-forced without fully understanding them, which is a shame. But it felt like I solved all puzzles the moment I got a chance and then just played the card game. On the other hand, the connection between the card game and the rest of the game was incredible. Like you have to make certain play in the card game to unlock the progress in the overworld.

I don't want to spoil much of a game, but the meta narrative is also pretty nice surprise. The ending was a little bit boring, because I never felt like the main villain had an interesting motivation. I didn't felt threatened. It doesn't help that you can't really die in the final arc. You're only returned back to the last checkpoint with no punishment. Well, no punishment that would make a difference.

Overall, it was amazing game that kinda loses its breath by the end. But the pure genius of the card game make up for that. 9/10.

Years
  • Okay, final update with games for this year. I finished two shorter indie games during Christmas.

I doesn't exist - a modern text adventure
    A short indie game that masterfully blends the use of AI and the old-school text adventure.

I had no idea what to expect from this game. I'm not from a generation that would find text adventures nostalgic, they seemed interesting, but also a little bit intimidating at the same time. Like they felt so hard to control and hard to even think in their respective "boxes". What can I do? What I can't do? This game kidna solves it by introducing AI to the game. You don't have to remember some key words or think about how to give instructions to the game, since the AI will accept more than one word for each action.

It doesn't take long and the game shows it true colours. It breaks the 4th wall and takes you on an adventure. You start talking to the AI and it feels real. While it sometimes didn't know what to answer me, it never break the illusion.

While I understand where the game is coming from and what it tries to accomplish, the meltdown of the in-game avatar didn't really leave a mark on me as much as I hoped it would. Since the game is pretty short, it has barely any build up and it gets resolved way too quickly with pretty much no pay-off.

Overall, cool idea and the se of AI helps this game to stand out, but it feels a little bit shallow. 7/10.

En Garde
    En Garde is a musketeers-themed adventure with a cool battle system.

You take a role of a Adalia on her way to save her city from an evil Count-Duke. The story is simple and doesn't take itself seriously. It's a comedy at the highest level. It's told in four separate episodes, but I feel like they are way to seperate. Like Adalia just randomly jumps from location to location, from one goal to another and it never feels connected.

The battle system is great. It's similar to the ones from Star Wars Jedi series or Sekiro, but a little bit simpler. You can parry and riposte enemy attacks, have to time your counters and mind your surroundings. You can use your environment to get advantage over each group of enemies. You can kick them off the stairs, throw objects on them, lit them on fire and so on. It's fun to figure out the best way to take out the current wave of enemies. I like the variety of situations you are put in. There are huge arenas with multiple waves of enemies and items to use, but sometimes you're put in a small room with just one or two enemies and no items, which will test your skills at all levels.

There are 4 chapters, each of them having their own theme and introducing new enemy or mechanic. But I feel like there could be more. The first chapter is a tutorial. The second and third kinda feel like a "baby steps" levels and only the final one feels like a true level to finally give you a challenge. A lot of people talked about the difficulty spike in the third chapter, which I never encountered. In fact, the third chapter was the only chapter I beat without dying. But that I would die a lot otherwise. I died once in the tutorial, while I was still learning ins and outs of the game. I died once in chapter 2, when I got cornered by the new enemy, got stucked and couldn't escape. And finally, I died bunch of times on the final boss, because that bossfight was incredible test of skills. I loved it. Each chapter took me around 30 minutes to finish, except the final one, which took me about 50 minutes. I wish it was longer. Same can be said about enemies and especially bosses. There are 3 bosses you fight twice during the game. They were fun, but their second fight wasn't much different.

Overall, it was awesome game, which I wouldn't mind to see more of. 9/10.

Now, it's time to finally wrap everything up and get my own GOTY rewards. I can hopefully get it on time.

Years
  • Okay, it's time for the wrap-up. I played 45 games this year, mostly on PC, with few games on Switch and Game Boy Advance. I also played quite a few games released in 2023 and only one game released prior to 2000s.

I spend the most time on TotK, with over 80 hours. For genres, I played CRPGs the most. I barely played FPS or shooter. I also played 0 racing game, which I could probably change in the following year. Here we go!

45. LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
    Now that was the worst cash-grab I've seen in years. The magic of the original Lego Star Wars games is gone. Instead of thoughtful levels, there are boring and trivial open-world missions. Most of the time you just follow the character and listen to the dialogue. At least the planets look pretty good.

44. A Wonderful Day for Fishing
    A game that introduced me to a special genre of horror fishing games. Unfortunately, it's really more of a proof-of-concept than a full-fledged game.

43. Project Warlock
    I was really looking forward to Project Warlock because it tries to feel like a unique boomer shooter. But the result is a bland shooter with an unpolished magic system.

42. Ghostwire: Tokyo
    Ghostwire: Tokyo feels like a game that someone created based on a checklist of the most popular mechanics in AAA games. It's really all there. And none of it has any depth or meaning. It's a shame it's such a waste of a good visual style game.

41. lure
    Another short horror fishing game. Simple, but I think it achieves its goal. Nothing more, nothing less.

40. Heidi: The Game
    A trivial platformer on the Game Boy Advance that I surprisingly enjoyed. I don't think it deserves any higher place though.

39. Fire Emblem Engage
    Story has never been Fire Emblem's strong suit. But what Engage has done is miles beyond the worst story I've known up to that point. And the biggest paradox is that it simultaneously has one of the best combat systems of any modern Fire Emblem game.

38. Silent Hill: Homecoming
    Silent Hill, which seems to be trying to emulate the atmosphere and gameplay of the original trilogy, but the whole thing is pretty mediocre.

37. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
    Oh, my God, TotK. I would never have bought it after my BotW experience, but I got it as a gift so I gave it a shot. How did they take the already boring BotW formula and make it even more boring? Nothing in that game makes sense. Why would I run for half an hour through an empty landscape to find a shrine, complete it within a minute, and then spend another half hour running in a direct line to the next shrine? Why are all quests boring fetch quests? Why do I only get a few dozen rupees for them when everything costs hundreds, usually thousands of rupees? Why should I fuse weapons and build vehicles when I can still get through the final dungeon with a basic Master Sword and no building? Useless waste of time.

36. Hero's Hour
    A tribute to Heroes of Might & Magic 3 and 4. I wish it was more polished. The basics are good, but one comes awfully quickly to the OP strategy that can be used in every game. And since there's no campaign to shake up the rules a bit, the whole thing gets tiresome awfully quickly.

35. The Thing in The Lake
    A text adventure and another fishing horror. It was fun. But then again, it was awfully short.

34. The Witness
    The Witness has been a game at the top of my Steam Wishlist for years. I was worried it was going to kick my ass. Which it didn't. The puzzles were very interesting, but often any lack of dialogue and written text meant that one misunderstood the rules and got stuck.

33. Mafia: Definitive Edition
    I also finally got around to the Mafia remake. I'm honestly not part of the cult that surrounds Mafia here, but I quite enjoyed this one. But I don't think it would necessarily replace the original.

32. I doesn't exist - a modern text adventure
    One of the last games I played this year. It was enjoyable, but it didn't leave me with the impression that I think the game would have liked.

31. Master Detective Archives: Raincode
    What I loved about Master Detective was the visuals and the setting. I like detective stories and the supernatural, so combining the two sounds like a great idea. And it was great. But unnecessarily drawn out. The tutorial is over 3 hours long and teaches players mechanics that aren't present in the rest of the game. It also tries to give the impression that this is not a heavily linear game. Which probably hurts the other chapters the most, which keep trying to pretend that you have some freedom in them or that you can go down the wrong path. It's not until the last chapter that it plays up to anything, and it's probably the best experience of the game. But some terrible dialogue ("I'm horny for mysteries" or "They thought I was stupid. They called me dummy-thick") I'll never forget.

30. GONE FISHING
    Last horror fishing game of the year. And probably the most elaborate. Interesting, non-linear story, multiple endings and a great atmosphere. I could easily see it being longer.

29. Fridge Floppers
    It's a physical respite that lasts about 20 minutes, but it has its charm and I'd take it over anything below it without a second thought.

28. Total War: Three Kingdoms
    I used to love Total War. Until Napoleon sometime ago. I got back into it this year and it was great. I played a few campaigns and I think I've had enough for a long time again.

27. Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous
    I ended last year by saying that CRPGs are not for me. This year I gave them a shot and they've become my most played genre in terms of time. WotR is the second Pathfinder I've played, and while it has better mechanics, story-wise it lags incredibly. So much so that until the game told me now is the final bossfight, I wouldn't have known it was the final bossfight. Compared to the story and ending of Kingmaker, it's a huge disappointment.

26. Pizza Tower
    A fast-paced platformer that evoked Jazz Jackrabbit 2 the most. Thoughtful level design and... well, design in general, but it kind of ended and I almost forgot I was playing it.

25. A Vampyre Story
    An unfinished adventure game from the days when adventure games were slowly on the decline. Nice story, great atmosphere, just a pity it ends with a cliffhanger.

24. Beyond the Wall
    Czech adventure game. Nothing worth remembering, but it was worth the hour I spent with it.

23. Space Warlord Organ Trading Simulator
    So now we're getting into unique territories. A game in which you trade organs on a space exchange. The game surprisingly has a pretty elaborate story, but the trading itself is pretty simple.

22. Prince of Persia
    Originally I wasn't sure whether to include the original prince here, but why not? I've played it and I've been playing it for a long time. It's just an old classic that has aged surprisingly well.

21. Darkest Dungeon 2
    I didn't play the original Darkest Dungeon because I didn't like the concept of having to level a hero for a long time only to have him die immediately. The second installment addresses this quite well, and was actually a good rogue-lite game.

20. Five Dates
    An interactive film about the search for a relationship in the age of the crown. Saffron is my bae. I don't need to say anything else.

19. Star Wars Jedi: Survivor
    This year had quite a few sequels that were mechanically better but with a terrible story. Survivor had a great idea with the different fighting stances, but the story didn't have the grit of the original game. In fact, he made the story feel like a big filler. Not to mention the villain, who is incredibly boring and hopefully no surprise to anyone.

18. DUSK
    DUSK is an excellent boomer shooter from one of my favorite indie creators. Great setting, great gameplay, what more could you ask for?

17. Sekiro: Shadows die twice
    Sekiro has one of the best combat systems I've ever experienced. The final fight with Isshin is probably my favorite gameplay moment of the year. Still, the rest of the game didn't quite do it for me. Compared to the Souls games, I didn't find it as interesting. While most of the bossfights were unrealistically excellent, the rest of the game, and especially the high recycling of mini-bosses, wasn't great.

16. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
    Fallen Order has a similar system to Sekiro, and it was also the game that finally made me want to play Sekiro. The system wasn't as elaborate who in Sekiro, but I found it a bit more accessible and being set in the Star Wars world was an added bonus.

15. Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I enjoyed Kingmaker more than the sequel, and that's mostly due to the story. This one may be a little too long, but I liked how it kept to the ground most of the time. The kingdom management was relatively fun too.

14. Marvel's Spider-man Remastered
    Cinematic open-world action-adventure games are not exactly my cup of tea. But I like Spider-Man, so I wanted to give it a try. It was good.

13. Tunic
    A unique Zelda-like that I enjoyed thinking about and looking for information more than actually playing. It wasn't bad, but maybe a little too cryptic at times.

12. En Garde
    A fencing game that, although entertaining, I found rather short but at the same stale.

11. Frog Detective 3
    The finale of the Frog Trilogy is set in the Wild West. Like the previous installments, this is an unpretentious adventure game that will take a little of your time. I want more!

10. The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
    The Minish Cap is probably my favourite 2D Zelda. Cool world, fun dungeons, thoughtful progression... Well, just the opposite of Switch Zelda games.

9. Lil Gator Game
    I really enjoyed this A Short Hike clone, even though it was terribly short. Unpretentious, cute and fun.

8. Call of the Sea
    A game that makes full use of Lovecraftian horror, but it's not a horror game. Quite the contrary, it's a colourful and positive adventure game about finding yourself.

7. Inscryption
    An original deck-building game that makes masterful use of meta-narrative and genre-blending.

6. Divinity: Original Sin 2
    What I expected from Baldur's Gate last year I found in Divinity. I like CRPGs.

5. The Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe
    The original The Stanley Parable is one of my favourite games. This sequel expands on the already excellent repertoire of the original game and serves as a great commentary and mirror on contemporary gaming culture.

4. Super Mario Odyssey
    I like 3D platformers. Super Mario Odyssey has become my favourite representative of this genre after the Spyro trilogy. It's hard to fault. Everything here is polished to perfection.

3. Slay the Princess
    Yet another cool and unique take on a regular genre. You probably know that I love Lovecraftian horror by now, so it's probably no surprise this game got so high on my list.

2. Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp
    This may be a bit unfair, as the original Advance Wars is one of my favorites. But this remake is simply on a whole new level. Not only does it have the charm of the original, but he masterfully builds on them and adds new things for a modern audience.

1. The Talos Principle 2
    Portal 2 is my favourite game ever. My 10/10. The original The Talos Principle reminded me a lot of Portal, but I didn't have high expectations for the second installment. It caught me off guard all the more. This is one of the best post-Portal puzzle games ever.

Years
  • Okay, time for the first update for 2024. I'll make a small New Year's resolution to clean up the main post a little and give it a new form. It's getting messy.

But now, let's look at the first game beaten in 2024. Well, I started it almost a year ago. It was a long game. And a game that I dropped at least once last year, because I wasn't really feeling it. Yes, I'm taking about Xenoblade Chronicles 3...

Xenoblade Chronicles 3
    The first Xenoblade Chronicles is my favourite JRPG and a golden standard I have for this genre. I never played the second game, because it got released when I still didn't have Switch and to be honest, it doesn't look that great in comparison with the first game. But I was feeling like playing an JRPG earlier this year, so I picked up this entry.

And it took me quite a while to finish. I knew it's one of those "it gets good after 20 hours", but on my initial try, I dropped it only after 10 hours, because the start is awful. But I'll talk about it later. I picked it again few months later and it finally clicked. Mostly because the intro segment ended at about 15 hours and the game got finally better. And I sticked with it for 3 months until I finished it.

There is no way I won't compare it to the first game. Even the story structure is similar. You are forced out of your home on an adventure by evil guys. You have to go up the map and find a legendary city and a prison nearby. But while this took like 1/3 of Xenoblade Chronicles 1 and there was a huge epic story after that, this was basically whole story of Xenoblade Chronicles 3. I was thinking "Great, now it will get interesting", but the game just ended.

The whole story was far worse than in the first game. And it starts with characters. Shulk and his party are relatable. Even Shulk's motivation to do what he does is understandable. The party of Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is a bunch of not-even-10 years old kid soldiers that look like teenagers. And while some had a time to grow on me, they were just uninteresting bunch for most of the story. And characters like Taion, Lanz or Eunie never grew up on me and I hated that I couldn't just swap them for more interesting characters. They have no personal stakes in the story. They just do whatever someone else tells them.

One thing that was turned be off the game initially was "deep and emotional" character dialogues that usually just fall flat. Like there is a moment two characters are thinking a reevaluating their journey so far. They think about a comrade that died and how it affected them. And the game really tries to sell this one interaction with music, composition and everything. It takes place about 20 minutes in the game, when you barely know the names of the characters. There are also many scenes that takes place in a camp and they try to give more depth to characters and their relationships, but they usually have no effect on the characters' development or the story. It all resets back to default after these scenes. Luckily, it gets better as the game goes. And especially the first visit to the City has one of the best emotional scenes in the whole game. Or maybe I got used to the mediocrity of this type of scenes.

Combat is where the game really shines. It builds up on the combat of the first (and probably also second) game really well. One problem I had with the first game's combat was that it got stale after a while. Each fight started the same, with the same set of combos that didn't evolve throughout the game. The main gimmick of this game is class changing. There are bunch of damaging, tanking and healing classes, each with their own strategy. For example, there is a classic tank class with loads of HP and a huge shield that taunts the enemy to attack them, then there is tank class that is all about evasion enemy attacks or there is a tank class that draws aggro by dealing huge amount of damage. There are healing/supporting classes that are all around healing, then there is one that sets up healing/buffing AoE on the ground, then there is one that buffs itself and then share all buffs with everyone else and so on. The creativity of some classes is great. And it helped in the combat being fun for the whole game. When I was feeling burned out, I just switched to different class and could continue on. But I wasn't really keen on the unlocking system. The quests to unlock them were fun, but sometimes the character that unlocked the class first made no sense. Well, it made sense story-wise, but sometimes the ranged supporter unlocked melee attacker class and it made no sense for them to unlock any of offensive skills. So I had to waste some XP on classes that don't really fit the character or the role they initially had in the party.

Not that XP would be any problem. When the game opened up in Chapter 3, it let you unlock and finish a whole bunch of side quests, mostly to unlock new classes. But it did such a great job that I ended up more than 20 levels above the level recommendation for the main quest. And I kept this huge gap until the end of the game. This meant that I had no problems with the battles for the rest of the game and was even feeling a little bit bored of them. I found especially amusing the fact that I easily beat some bosses, but it was followed up with a cutscene of how much my characters struggle against the boss. They even lost some fights in the cutscenes. To an enemy that barely scratched them. But I hate the final stretch of a game. Enemies and especially bosses are just damage sponges, having millions of HP, which meant battles took an eternity to finish, but were pretty boring. The final boss was disappointing because of this. All I got was boredom instead of epic conclusion to the trilogy.

The world was huge, but it felt empty from time to time. Especially when my characters were overleveled and enemies didn't initiate any combat. There wasn't really much to find in the world. There were husks of fallen soldiers and chests or containers. But there was bunch of collectable items you would just find lying around. There were hundreds of them and they all feel useless. Most of them shared the same model and you barely used any of them at all. I feel like the game wouldn't lose anything if these collectables were not in the game. I like that the game put higher level enemies in all areas. But it kinda loses its charm when you know from the start that you won't be able to beat that enemy. Unlike games like Gothic, in which you had to engage the enemy to see if you can beat it.

I also really love the affinity system. Speaking of Gothic, I think this system could solve Gothic 3 problems. I like that you had to try and spend some time in a colony to really know it. Characters were fun and relationships they had with each others were cool to see. They barely played any role, but I like it as a small unimportant detail. The rewards for rising affinity with a colony were pretty boring. Especially new vendors, since I don't feel like items did anything at all. But maybe that was just me being overleveled. I did it mostly for new quests and especially quests that lifted level cap for your recruited heroes.

Overall, it was fun game, but it really took a quite to get good and it didn't know when to end. And I'm not sure if it was really worth it. 7/10.

Years
  • Okay, I barely touched the main post. I'm still not sure how to format everything. In the meantime, I beat that one Yu-Gi-Oh! Rush Duels game on Switch. Master Duel was enough to scratch my YGO itch, so I never got around to play this one. But it was in nice discount recently, so I said "why not?" and got it. It was... well... Konami game. What a shame.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Rush Duel: Dawn of the Battle Royale!!
    I love Yu-Gi-Oh games. The ones where you play as original character and have a whole world to explore. But it has been a while since the last one. It's crazy that the last one was in 2011. And it was the last good Yu-Gi-Oh game until Master Duel got released. Dawn of the Battle Royale tries to return to this formula.

And I wanted it to succeed so much. The idea is great. Take a world from the current series of the anime, put a player in there and let them explore whole also having a story based on said anime series. But this game suffers from the unfortunate disease called Konami. There are some really questionable decisions made in the game. Like the removal of the ability to build your own deck. In a card game that is all about making your own deck. You can collect deck recipes and can only build decks from these recipes. And these decks are atrocious. They were so bad I can't even put it in words. There is no better feeling than to brick 5 times in a row because your deck is awful and you can't do anything about it. I beat about 90% of the game with the very first deck you get after tutorial. It was dragon-based power deck that had a simple strategy of either increasing yours or decreasing your opponent's monsters attack and using the ace Multistrike Dragon Dragias. If I didn't draw it or any card that manipulates attack? No other plan, just surrender. I wanted to try different deck, but I never finished another decklist. I was always short of one or two cards. It wasn't until almost the end of the game, when I played a (almost) mirror match against an opponent, who had the same deck, but better and more coherent, that I started farming to get a better deck. And even after hours of farming, I still didnt't finish any other decklist. While looking for ways to get cards, I found out I'm one story duel from getting unlocking a new pack. So I did that fight, unlocked the new pack and... Got new decklist and all cards for it for free. Deck that the game locks me in for the rest of the game for story reasons... And it's not like this deck was any better. It had like 4 different strategies clashing with each other and required me to draw the perfect hand each time to win. Now, I think I should mention one thing. The deckbuilding is in the game. But it's locked behind a cheat. You have to get to the specific location and put a Konami code there to unlock it. That's so stupid.

But it's only one problem I had with the game. I have 0 knowledge about the anime series this game take place. And after playing this game, I still have 0 knowledge about the world. So much random stuff happened. Like there was this Arnold Schwarzenegger-type character, that was apparently just a 4th grader, and when you beat him, he really transforms into a kid. And then there is his mother, who also looks like a kid, but she just randomly transformes into a cop or a Star Trek fan or something. And nothing is explained. Some guy randomly appears, use Maximum Summon (pretty cool mechanic, but I'm not sure how well it works irl) and then everyone is like: "Yeah, that's the main villain." And I had no idea what is going on. The game just doesn't bother with explaining anything. And it's a shame, because I remember those 5Ds games on DS had really great way of explaining everything and building up on the lore of the series. But this game was just random dialogue after random dialogue, there are like 5 different times the characters mention a food one of them made that is just a rice with blue gravy, but that's pretty much the only detail you'll learn about the world.

The Rush Duels are fun, but maybe it was because of the card selection and stupid ideas that I couldn't really appreciate it enough. It felt like the super early YGO. Almost no effects, no negates, no disruptions, just a level and position manipulation. I think I'll give it a try on some YGO Simulator with better card selection.

The more I think about it, the more the game felt like a failed attempt at live service game. There was a shop with timed selection of items, getting in-game currency took an eternity to get and it felt like the pop-up ad would appear any moment, prompting you to buy more.

Overall, it was a poor attempt to return to the good old days of singleplay Yu-Gi-Oh games. Sadly. 5/10.

Years
  • The first month of 2024 is almost done and I'm here with one huge final update. I way looking for a new game on Switch after Xenoblade Chronicles 3 and decided to take a look at the retro library that is available on Switch. I picked The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past and beat it in about a week. And throughout the month, I slowly but surely got throught the GOTY of the last year - Baldur's Gate 3.

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    After disappointing Switch Zeldas and after replaying The Minish Cap last year, I was interested in playing some older titles and finally got around to play one of them. A Link to the Past is the third Zelda game ever made. I was worried it would age poorly, but the opposite was true.

I was amazed by how similsr the art style was to The Minish Cap (I'll compare this game to The Minish Cap a lot in this review). I also noticed how consistent the map is between the two games. Link's house is on the exactly same place like in MC. And the Hyrule Castle is just above it. And I bet the layout of the Hyrule Castle is also the same or pretty similar. Now, the temples and some areas are placed differently. The mountain is in different place, the forest is moved elsewhere and so on. But now that I think about it, the Witch's shop is in the same place. Well, the point is the map and the gameplay overall felt familiar enough.

I was afraid I would get stuck and would have no idea what to do, but I did good. Aside from two final dungeons, I was able to find and beat them all. Well, some of them were designed in a way that you didn't need a new item from that given dungeon to beat the dungeon. Which means I had to backtrack few times, because I completely missed few big chests and didn't realize it until later. I even got to the point that I couldn't beat one boss because I missed one completely optional item. There was a dragon with ice and fire heads. Ice head could be destroyed with Fire Rod, which is mandatory item from a previous dungeon, but to beat fire heads, I had to get Ice Rod. Which is hidden in one random optional cave with no hint that it's there. I even explored the cave at the start of the game, but missed the Ice Rod. And to get to the final two dungeons, I had to get two amulets, which also had pretty random quests and locations tied to them - like dropping something in a random pond. I event think you need enchanted bow and arrows to beat the final boss, but I was lucky enough to get them before the fight.

Overall, it was great journey back to the older Zelda titles. I enjoyed it, despite it being a little bit dated with its gameplay design. 9/10.

Baldur's Gate 3
    It's not even two years since I played the original Baldur's Gate and hated every piece of it. It was outdated and boring. So it might be surprising that I love BG3.

I think the best think BG3 did was to barely get any inspiration gameplay-wise from the original. I hated the real-time-with-pause battle system of the original. It took the worst of the real-time and turn-based systems and smashed it together. Luckily, BG3 is fully turn-based and makes the full use of it. I think it got a little bit stale towards the end, mostly because the game is way too long, but otherwise I had a lot of fun with the battle system. I enjoyed trying different characters and their combinations and I kept rotating my team even late in the game. I feel like Divinity: Original Sin 2 (another game by the same devs that I rated high last year) had more interesting battle scenarios in my opinion. BG3 had a lot of "bunch of 1 HP enemies" and "don't die in X turns" battles, but I was missing some interesting bossfights. But maybe it's just me, because the first phase of the Ketheric fight lasted only one turn (and only one character action) for me, because I hit him with Minthara so hard, it ended the fight immediately. And even late game boss like Ansur barely showed what it was capable of. And the rest of the fights were pretty basic "kill all (copypasted) enemies" type of battle. There were only a handful of cool scenarios like rescuing people from burning building, but I would love more of them.

The story was okay, but like in D:OS2, I never really felt a motivation to follow the story. It was better than D:OS2, because getting rid of a parasite resonated with me more than becoming a god. But I wasn't really keen on the whole cult and tiefling stuff. It was nice introduction to the D&D world, but I think it could have more relevancy to the main story. Especially since the last arc feels rushed and the two final villains clashes thematically with each other way too much. I think if one of them was given time to shine in the first arc, it would be so much better. And it comes hand to hand with the pacing of the game. Act 2 felt like a slog, with not much happening and the final act felt really rushed in comparison. As I said, using the three main villains more optimally would be so much better.

I was never a fan of Bhaalspawn storypoints of the original. Yet, I played The Dark Urge character, because I heard it gets the most "Baldur's Gate" treatment. It was fine experience and Bhaal's Temple is probably my favorite part of the story. But I can't image playing throught Bhaal's Temple as anyone else. I also called that my character will have something to do with Bhaal. And it didn't take long after that for me to guess that the whole new god cult thing is just rebranded Bhaal. And I was right in both cases. And these are just two examples of more predictable twists. The game is full of them.

As I said, I was playing The Dark Urga character, because I wanted to create my own character, but also wanted to have some relevancy to the story. I picked my favourite race and (sub)class. And so I created Wild Magic Barbarian Halfling called Bumbal. I decided to flavour him after Badlands Chugs and it worked so well. There were some Barbarian-exclusive dialogue options to chug a drink. I played as a good guy, resisting The Urge and denying my Bhaal legacy. I used the best available Greataxe at the moment and switched to Balduran's Greatsword towards the end of the game. I also incorporated throwing into my build. I didn't want to give my character a bow or crossbow, so I had to utilize throwing. At first, I was throwing Tridents and Spears, but later found a magical hammer that returned to my hand after throwing it.

I had a lot of fun with the game. I think the strongest part of the part is giving you enough courtesy to tackle any problem your own way, while not feeling empty or boring. It was a joy to explore the world. I was playing alongside 2 other friends on Discord (the same we played Divinity and Pathfinder games with) and it was always delightful to read what they did and tell them about what I did. One of them decided to also play as Wild Magic Barbarian (because I sold them on it) Dark Urge and we both had such a different approach to the obstacles in our way. I don't think any other game will top the sheer absurdity of my enraged character throwing magical hammer at succubus and imps in Hell, while being completely naked. And surviving that encounter.

The characters were also fine. Karlach was my favourite and the only one I kept on my team the whole time. I made her into Berserker Barbarian and we just steamrolled everything in our way. I also really liked Minthara, and was glad I got her even as a good character. I didn't use her as much as I wanted, because my team already had two melee characters. Then I would put Shadowheart, whose edgy personality and story I enjoyed the most, but I also liked her abilities as Cleric of Trickster domain. Especially her healing. Gale was also fun and the much needed ranged support. He just wreck the battlefield once he got few levels in. I also liked his passive ability as Evocation Wizard. I wish I used Wyll more, but I think he'll be my next main character in my next playthrough, because Warlocks are always fun. I didn't really like Astarion's personality and he kinda fell out of my team at the start of the second Act and returned only for his personal quest. The same can be said about Lae'zel. I found her annoying and once I got Karlach, I had no motivation to return Lae'zel back. I wish I knew how to properly use Druids, because Halsin felt like a wise grandpa of the group and I widh he was used better. He kinda disappeared after the second act. I feel like he was robbed by a cheap fan-service in a form of Jaheira, who is also Druid and takes Halsin's spotlight. I hate it so much. I don't think she is interesting character and can't wait for my next (evil) playthrough to kill her. And I'm not even talking about Minsc, who appears in one quest at the end of the game, has really hard conditions to get him and then has no relevance in the story. I literally forget he was in the game until the final cutscene, in which he says one line. I think Jaheira and Minsc could have easily be left out of the game and replaced with two original companions. I was missing any dwarf or halfling companion. It was weird that my character was the only short character at the camp.

One last thing, I really enjoy the dialogues and the world. But I feel the art style was kinda generic and reminded me more of D:OS2 than D&D aesthetics.

Overall, I think this game end up in a similar spot like Dragon Age: Origins - I'll slowly play throught all characters and will experience all possible routes. I'm already itching for the next playthrougth. 9.5/10.

Years
  • Okay, this year is nuts so far. But maybe it's because I'm playing GOTY material games from the last year(s). I beat Hyperbolica, another game I was closely watching the development of. It's such a unique game. I highly recommend it.

Hyperbolica
    Now, this was one confusing adventure. Hyperbolica is pretty regular modern adventure game, where you explore small world, interact with NPCs and solve all of their problems. It strongly reminded me of the Frog Detective series. But there is a twist. The game takes place in a world, where geometry is everything but what you would expect it to be. The world works with laws of non-Euclidian geometry. If you ever heard about a geometry on a sphere, this is pretty much it. For example, if you draw a triangle on a sphere, you can make a triangle with three right angles (it's apparently called octant of a sphere). It's such a trip.

I love the fact that the game uses different kinds of non-Euclidian geometries for each level. It's crazy that someone can even program stuff like this and make it all seem organic. My absolute favourite is "Infinite Café", in which the lines never meet, making for an interesting interior. It was so weird to go from starting point A to point B, then turn around and don't see the point A. Instead, you see the whole new portion of the map. It's such a weird feeling to explore the whole map and then found out there is still a small piece you missed, because it's accessible only from certain angle.

Each area had a short questline, usually revolving around some kind of minigame. But since they take place in non-Euclidian space, they are not what you would expect from them. The maze is true definition of a mindfuck. You can feel like you're going straight and making progress, but in reality, you're just going in circles. And vice versa. There was a farm on the inside of sphere surface and your goal is to shoot some weasels that are taking the crops. But you have to be furthest you can be from them to shoot them. It took me a while to figure this one out. Even something so simple as flying a drone or parkour is mind-blowing.

With that said, I think the story took itself way too seriously at times, which was really weird, since it was a nice non-serious story otherwise. The final boss also barely uses any of the different geometries and the whole fight is mostly just a long chore.

Overall, I really enjoyed this game, because it really made me think outside of the box and outside laws of reality to properly beat it. 9/10.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Okay, I'm back with another update. And it's another great games. I feel like I should pick different rating system, because I have way too many 9+ games this year and it's only February right now.

Lies of P
    I'll always welcome a new good Souls-like game. Lies of P has is set in a nightmarish world of Pinoccio. Or to be more precise, it takes elements from the classic story and incorporate them into its own nightmarish world. The city of Krat was a regular city, until they found a magical substance called Ergo and started creating robots. Well, they called them puppets. The age of prosperity came. But then something happened (unexpected) and puppets started killing humans. You take a role of unnamed (but I think he's referred to as P) puppet, whose goal is to save his creator Geppeto and find a way to save Krat. You'll get help from various people on your way, including a magical fairy and a robotic guide called Gemini.

I always found the Souls-like games missing something in a level design after DS1. Most Souls-like, even DS3 and Elden Ring, could imitate the atmosphere and battle system, but their levels were not as great as DS1. They were too linear and lackluster. But I think Lies of P does really great job at level design. Especially at the start of the game. They are vertical, have various optional routes and are interconnected. It does get more linear in the second half, but the beginning of the game is great in this regard. And to be honest, some locations were boring because of this. I wasn't really keen on locations outside the city, especially ones infested with "zombies". I think I could do without them just fine.

I had a hard time deciding my build. At first, I wanted to do a DEX run with rapier or something like that, but in the end I picked a STR class and used greatswords and big weapons again. I was a little bit disappointed in the selection of weapons. None really impressed me that much. I played quite a while with the starting greatsword, then switched it up for a big wrench, which had a awesome damage, but was too short for my liking. In the end, I got a boss weapon Holy Sword of the Ark and beat the rest of the game with it. It was nice weapon, a classic greatsword, that could charge its attacks. It only occurred to me later that this is basically a Greatsword (my main weapon) from Monster Hunter. It also could change from greatsword to glaive, but I barely used this mode. I leveled up my health and capacity to become tanking character, but I still kept the fast dodge/roll.

The battle system was more focused on parrying, which isn't really my favourite part of Souls-like battle systems. I also don't think it was done that well or satisfying like in Sekiro or SW Jedi games. I had a hard time sometimes timing my parry right. Many enemies had a small unnatural delay to their attacks, similar to Elden Ring, which I never found like a good thing to do. But I was glad that I could just dodge some attacks and fight some enemies like in classic Dark Souls.

I think the game does a really good job at bosses, but I have one pet peeve. Vast majority of the main bosses are just a huge guy who smashes his hand to the ground. Even the final boss (technically there is optional after that) is just a big guy with big hands. And it gets old very quickly. Especially since their movesets were way too similar. And towards the end of the game, some bosses were straight up re-used. So I was glad for smaller and more agile human bosses. But I also suffered from being to good and beating most of them in few tries, so I barely enjoyed them.

Overall, it was great Souls-like game with interesting settings and story. The battle system was rough sometimes, especially with way too similar bossfights. But I'm looking forward the teased DLC. 9/10.

Back