• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: the water closet closet

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkmin3033

Cid

Years
    Oof I just realized how big the image I posted was. Sorry desktop users.

Apart from studying for a quantum physics problem set, I'm doing alright! Hope everyone is doing well, too.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I'm wishing this damn cough would go away but other than that it's a nice day out and I have today and tomorrow off.

Years
    ngl it stresses me out thinking about it, especially fearing that the future is going to get worse from here on out and people just aren't caring enough to do something to save our own planet. meanwhile im just one person so im unable to make much of a difference, if at all.

it just sucks.

Nekodatta

Overanalyzing Pokemon for 20 years
    Years
    I had this whole mini-essay typed out as an answer but then I accidentally missclicked and it all got erased...
    So I'm doing a short summary

Yes the amazon burning is a big deal, for a multitude of reasons:
    - The obvious one: it's bad. Duh.
    - The less obvious one: It technically happens every year to make room for cattle. It's suddenly big news only now because of the current political scene in Brazil and because Climate Change news are the hot topic right now that gets views/clicks.

That's good. I hope this trend continues, we need a lot of news about this, the ice caps, what every country is doing(or not doing),how bad things are in general, to get the message to as many people as possible. Please don't let it be just a fad that will stop as soon as 2019 ends.

That said, it's okay to take a break from time to time. The constant bombardment of bad news is bad for your mental health.
    It's just makes you feel frustrated and powerless. I've had a rough couple of months dealing with this.
    I used to wake up with this feeling of dread and fear of how bad things would get in the next X years.
    I honestly felt like somebody had told me "You've got X years left to live, enjoy them".
    The fault was mostly some very sensationalized article that, once I digged a bit more in depth, pretty much took the very worst-case scenario that assumed that we not only do nothing but pretty much increase emissions, and even then was still statistically improbable, as an absolute certainty. Cue all the "We're gonna day in X years" articles.

Then I slowly realized I couldn't go on like this.
    Yes things are bad. Yes every time I read some news about another X kilometers of ice lost or forest burned or species that are going to go exctint I feel a stab of that same anxiety and dread.
    But... I'm alive. Now. I'm lucky enough that things are still good here. Now.
    I can't waste this present that I have right now in fear of how bad things are going to become in the next 10,30 or 100 years.
    I could always get hit by a bus crossing the road tomorrow and then all that time spent paralyzed by fear would have been good for nothing.

It's important to keep informed, to be aware of what's happening so we can not actively make the situation a tiny bit worse.
    But it's also important to step back and take some time for yourself and your life, and what you can do at "your" scale of things.

Cid

Years
    I had this whole mini-essay typed out as an answer but then I accidentally missclicked and it all got erased...
    So I'm doing a short summary

Yes the amazon burning is a big deal, for a multitude of reasons:
    - The obvious one: it's bad. Duh.
    - The less obvious one: It technically happens every year to make room for cattle. It's suddenly big news only now because of the current political scene in Brazil and because Climate Change news are the hot topic right now that gets views/clicks.

That's good. I hope this trend continues, we need a lot of news about this, the ice caps, what every country is doing(or not doing),how bad things are in general, to get the message to as many people as possible. Please don't let it be just a fad that will stop as soon as 2019 ends.

That said, it's okay to take a break from time to time. The constant bombardment of bad news is bad for your mental health.
    It's just makes you feel frustrated and powerless. I've had a rough couple of months dealing with this.
    I used to wake up with this feeling of dread and fear of how bad things would get in the next X years.
    I honestly felt like somebody had told me "You've got X years left to live, enjoy them".
    The fault was mostly some very sensationalized article that, once I digged a bit more in depth, pretty much took the very worst-case scenario that assumed that we not only do nothing but pretty much increase emissions, and even then was still statistically improbable, as an absolute certainty. Cue all the "We're gonna day in X years" articles.

Then I slowly realized I couldn't go on like this.
    Yes things are bad. Yes every time I read some news about another X kilometers of ice lost or forest burned or species that are going to go exctint I feel a stab of that same anxiety and dread.
    But... I'm alive. Now. I'm lucky enough that things are still good here. Now.
    I can't waste this present that I have right now in fear of how bad things are going to become in the next 10,30 or 100 years.
    I could always get hit by a bus crossing the road tomorrow and then all that time spent paralyzed by fear would have been good for nothing.

It's important to keep informed, to be aware of what's happening so we can not actively make the situation a tiny bit worse.
    But it's also important to step back and take some time for yourself and your life, and what you can do at "your" scale of things.

Thanks for this, the_fast_reader. I sometimes sink into despair reading all of the bad news, and how our planet is a ticking time bomb and we're just refusing to defuse it. But, today is where we are. We need to make the most out of it. It's counterintuitive to lose sleep over what will happen in the future. Just breathe, be in the moment, stay informed, and be the good you want others to be.

Cid

Years
    I'm gonna go on a tangent here but the mention of trains reminded me of a scene in Spider-Man: Far From Home.

I hope Tom Holland still gets to play the character. FFH was such a good movie, too.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back