• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Wing?d :[Book One]: The Kuraitenshi

Whisper in the Wind

Formerly known as Onimusha
Years
  • You have immense power?the power to change yourself, on every level!?yet you still hold onto what you were born [with?]. You aren't human, you spineless piece of trash. Quit acting like one.
    Mistake or intentional?

Anyway. I'm having difficulty remembering all these names >< I keep forgetting who's who. If I recall correctly Takeru is the mental patient type guy... Keiji I don't remember...

Whisper in the Wind

Formerly known as Onimusha
    Years
  • Rebecca M. Renfield said:
    And no, it was intentional. He was born human (among other things), and that's not a "with", that's a "being".
    I meant, did you mean to say: "...yet you hold onto what you were born with."?

It sounds less difficult than: "...yet you hold onto what you were born." in my opinion....

Rebecca M. Renfield

The Bird of Hermes
    Years
  • Instead of making this a separate chapter, I'd rather make it a splice-on to Chapter Ten. Chapter Eleven will be the last chapter before moving on to the next book. ;x

Chapter Ten: Dissolution of Disillusion

::Takeru::

Can you not get over yourself, even for a moment? I sneered at Keiji. You're pitiful?not even worth anyone's time.

He sighed, melancholy, and settled himself against the padded wall of the asylum cell. "You keep telling me just how worthless I am, but you never even have any reason for it...."

You have immense power?the power to change yourself, on every level!?yet you still hold onto what you were born. You aren't human, you spineless piece of trash. Quit acting like one.

Sniveling, he ignored my comment, unable to form a coherent response.

I can't take this any more! You disgust me beyond words! I seized his body fiercely; with a raging roar, I tore myself from his body. From head to toe I sat up from inside him, standing, my back to him. I could hear him breathing heavily, drained from the separation. I turned to face him to find him staring up at me with exasperation and fear. "What?"

"In all these years... you've never physically separated us....."

I snorted. "No reason to. You're weak enough that I could control you with ease."

He seemed hollow, the look in his eyes possessed and yet lifeless. "You... you aren't real...."

I glared at him in utmost, defiant bewilderment. "How can you possibly say I'm not real!?"

"I made you when I was sixteen. You're a part of my mind, and nothing more. And, because I made you, I can unmake you."

I didn't have any idea how to react to such a turn of emotion. He had never had such strength in his words?I had been the potence in his voice when he'd needed it, his courage, his pride. I was a part of him, but he'd never admitted to it. Flustering madly, I leapt upon him, sharp ends focused on his throat and face.

He flung me back before I had the chance to land, pinning me to the far wall, effortlessly, with his telekinesis. He stood, the anger in his gaze the only emotion in his face, his left hand outreached in my direction, as he focused his strength to keeping me restrained. "You've always told me I was the weak one," he muttered acridly, a vile grin forming at the corner of his mouth; "yet, you've never proven to me that you're the strong one. I say you're nothing but talk, old man."

Rage welled up inside me then, as he said this, and I hissed, baring my fangs at him. I slapped him hard in the head with my own telekinetic force and he recoiled. However momentarily it may have been, it was enough to distract him. I flung him to the floor and leapt upon him, strangling him. "You dare defy me!" I roared, digging my nails into his neck.

He returned the gesture, throwing me to my back and kneeing me in the gut. "You're afraid of me," he chuckled, choking. "I?haven't fought?your presence since I first?made you...!"

"You didn't make me, little one?I made?you!" I sliced his arms off with my kinesis, then sank my teeth into his jugular, ripping his throat wide open. I peeled his hands from my shoulders and took his left hand in mine. I mockingly gnawed on it with a sneer. "I am your very strength of character, and you can't accept that you have no spine."

He regenerated his hands in an instant and leapt to strangle me again, this time with a force I could not possibly comprehend coming out of him. I cried out as my throat collapsed, the sound of him shattering my voice box was the last it made; it was then that I realised he was combining his kinesis with his stranglehold. Seeing my pure, wide-eyed fear of him calmed him, and he relinquished, still atop me. He smiled down upon me, content. "Shut up already."

I twitched. That's exactly what I wanted out of you, bouya...! I uttered in awe. I knew I could get you to get over it.... I chuckled hoarsely, lifting myself only just barely up from the floor. I took hold of his face, kissing him gently. You know I'm real, chiisai. Never forget it. With that, I let myself melt and fall into him, just as I'd come out.

Once I'd done so, he fell to his hands, exhausted. He sighed, content, then stood, dusted himself off, and wandered away, hands in pockets.

~*~*~*~*~*~

::Keiji::

I smiled, completely and thoroughly amused with myself.

Maki walked into the Valley from behind me, curious. "Keiji...?"

"Hn, hey, love."

She seemed frightened by my mirth, then noticed the doll in my hands and choked up completely. "Th?that's...."

My grin couldn't have been any bigger. "Yup." I smoothed his hair down and chuckled. "I guess it's not true anymore that all the dolls I've made are girls."

"But... what compelled you to do that...?"

"Heh." I pinned the fingernail-sized brooch at his throat, then messed with the frill of his ascot a bit. "Well, Takeru *is* a part of me, is he not?"

She was beyond words. "I?I guess that's true...." She got over the initial shock and also grew a smile. "That's ironic, actually."

"Hm?"

"Takeru is the part of you that made all those dolls so long ago, and you just made a doll of him."

"All the better way to embody him, if you ask me. You know just how much he loves irony."

~*~*~

It was about a week after the brawl. Smiling curiously, I came up to Maki, where she sat at her office desk. "Whatcha doing?" I asked asked coyly.

She put down her pencil. "Oh, I'm taking notes from the sessions I had with my patients today." I mused over this for a moment. "What?"

"Oh, nothing...." She gave me that stern, smirking look and I melted. "You never actually made any note that you've lost a patient." I scrunched my nose, trying to be cute and not get her irritated.

When her attention fell back to her pages, I hooked my chin over her shoulder to spy on what she was writing. "I'm still not used to the thought you've put all of that to rest, dear."

"Hn, I haven't, really." I crossed my arms behind my back and began to pace slowly back and forth behind her. Contemplative, I tried to find a way to explain it to her. "Takeru's still in there somewhere. He's just not commanding my life." I bent over and wrapped my arms around her shoulders lovingly.

She stopped what she was doing again, becoming rigid. "Having your lips that close to my neck is still disconcerting for me, if you would return your hands to where they were."

I was horrified to find myself overwhelmed once she'd made it clear to me just where my face had rested. I went pale at feeling my stomach tie itself in knots as her pulse became more and more obvious. Completely entranced, my breathing grew scarcer. As my tongue reached out from within my lips to caress her throat, I knew almost immediately that the Ditto in me had taken liberties with my mouth. I couldn't take it anymore and grabbed her, opening my jaws wide and ready to sink my teeth into her tender flesh. She managed to get away from me by phasing through my hands and falling to the floor. I realised what I'd almost done and my eyes grew wide. We stared at each other in total horror.

You bastard, I seethed in my mind, gritting my teeth.

He'd obviously been paying attention and hadn't helped matters one bit. What? I didn't do anything. He was amused, to say the least.

Like hell you didn't! You can't stand being inside of me instead of on the outside!

Believe it or not the world does not revolve around you, Keiji, he muttered, again bored. That was you letting yourself go.

That isn't a part of me! That's a part of you! I don't eat people! I'm not a vampire!

Chiisai, you're part Ditto. I'm just the one of us that's found there's pleasure in embracing it.

I couldn't react to such a statement. The look in my eyes had to have been scaring Maki senseless from the expression she had on her face. I squinted my eyes shut and turned from her, slamming my head against the wall in angst.

I'd tell you not to take it so hard, but then again, it's you I'm talking to....

Shut up, Takeru.

Why should I? You're the one that attacked me, he fake-pouted.

I don't want this. I can't do this. Even after having seen you murder thousands of times, I just can't do this.

He understood what I meant and so suddenly felt used. You want me to take responsibility for your feral instinct. That would just be too easy for you, wouldn't it? He thought about it for a minute and snorted, growing less amused by the minute. I suppose it's a guarantee that my head won't become dusty in the Valley, is it not...?

If you put it that way, certainly, I snapped coldly. If I let you out, you can't just go around, free as you please. It will be a task, not a game.

You take all the pleasure out of these things, he wailed, pained by the demand.

I find no pleasure in such things, so I can see it no other way. I knew I had to stand up to him or I would most definitely fall apart like I had countless times in the past.

After a pained silenced, he complied, defeated. I suppose that's the way it will be then. ....If I happen to enjoy my "job," you won't hold it against me, will you? I could tell he was amused again.

It's in your nature, isn't it? I can't hold it against a living creature to be himself, you know. That'd just be inhumane of me. I smiled, propping my arms against the wall and looking down at the floor.

Your choice of words, chiisai?! he uttered. You toy with me so.

You wouldn't have it any other way, now, would you, Takeru?

He didn't reply, content.

"Keiji... are you all right...?"

"I'm fine. I tried to deny my own nature and just saw how foolish it was of me." I snorted, looking to her. "There's just no ignoring it, is there?"

~*~*~

Minutes later Takeru was still roused inside my mind, curious and restless. I... can't quite place it, chiisai. I've always known Maki smelled... unique, but....

I was amused by this, oddly, and decided to cater to the poor thing. I walked over to Maki and helped her stand, putting my sharp ends away.

Don't do anything you'll regret.

What, little old me? Seriously, chiisai. I'm appalled!

Wary of him, I held her to me warmly, trying to get a smell of her without her noticing me doing it. "I'm sorry for that. My emotions just got the best of me, I suppose...." I had thought Takeru had just been trying to trick me into getting close enough to her for a nibble, but I, too, could tell he wasn't lying. What in the world IS that I smell?

"Keiji, you know Takeru made me just like you," she consoled, returning the embrace. "I have the same instincts wash over me every few weeks."

He thought on it for a moment before taking any guesses. Your scent is good as mine, but you've never used it like I do. I know what that is now. I've never really paid much attention to it, but I can't believe it. I just simply can't. You know what that is, don't you?

I smelled of her hair again, then frowned slightly. Just tell me, you cookie.

She murmured, amused. "I suppose you're used to blaming Takeru for it, aren't you, dear? In all the years we've been together, I've never once seen you feed. It's always been Takeru, you know? There's no need to snivel over it. You'll be able to get used to it. I did, didn't I?"

I smell Tenshi on her?no, in her. She's part Tenshi. I just know it.

His statement took me aback, and, combined with Maki's rambling, I just stood there and stammered. "I... I guess you did, didn't you?" I pulled her back away from me and looked her in the eyes strangely.

"What's the matter?" she asked me, confused.

"Maki, I never thought twice about how you knew to show up in Ecruteak less than twelve hours after Rivelle died.... How did you know you'd be needed?" Maybe there was some sort of intelligence network among Tenshi, and she'd been informed about it or something. I felt somehow betrayed....

"I?" she was completely flustered from my inquiry. "I had had a dream that had called me there, and I never go against my dreams?my empathy has always given me premonitions. I was living in Mahogany at the time, so it took me no time at all to get there overnight."

"Were you born there?" Fishing for answers that I'd never before wondered continued.

She looked down, sullen, then sat at her desk again. "I actually don't know where I was born, Keiji. I grew up in Mahogany?in an orphanage. My memory doesn't go back much further than from the point I was five years old."

I was dumbstricken by this. "So you don't know who your parents are? How in the world did you get to be a doctor then! I'm more than certain that, a hundred years ago, an orphanage courtier would never have put a child in her house through school, let alone a girl!"

"I was fortunate to have had my nanny see my abilities as a gift, not a demonic possession or something of the sort. She thought I was the most beautiful, intelligent, intuitive creature she'd ever laid eyes upon, and wanted nothing more than for me to succeed. She had a good deal of money from inheritance, but she herself wasn't wealthy. She spent all her inheritance on me, Keiji." She smiled, reminiscing over such kindness.

She purely doesn't have a clue, Takeru uttered, completely beside himself and yet somehow in awe over the fact. In his dumb state he drew in a breath for me, beginning to try to take over my senses and motor skills.

Takeru... I warned.

I... I've smelled that specifically before.

It couldn't be that she's a mother, could it? I muttered flatly. Hateri and Yoake look more like their mother than they do me.

No, I mean that scent?that Tenshi scent, you snide little? He cut off, trying dearly to place it.

Well, you're wrong. You've only come across a handful of Tenshi, Takeru?Sarina, Rivelle, and Rhesh and his children. Which one is it?

He mulled over those I'd just listed off. No, no... it's not any of them. It... it's.... Oh, I don't know! I could tell he wanted to tear his hair out from the uncertainty.

"What's going on, Keiji?" Maki could tell I was talking to Takeru from the look on my face. "What's wrong?"

I stumbled over quite how to put it to her. Irritated with him, I spat it out with a sour expression. "I, um. ....Takeru thinks you're part Tenshi, but he can't for the life of him tell me which Tenshi he thinks you smell like."

She flustered. "I thought you were crying on my shoulder, but you were smelling me?!" she squeaked, her eye twitching. "....Takeru thinks I smell like a Tenshi!?" She was reminded of how Takeru had treated other Tenshi and shivered, upset.

He overwhelmed me then and stepped up to her, holding her shoulders gingerly, looking her in the face. "I've got it," he said silently, eyes wide suddenly. "There was another Tenshi, Keiji," he corrected, aloud. "That woman that Sarina brought with her a month ago.... That little idiot that fed my DNA to that pipsqueak Ditto...!" Rage began to well up as his pride again grew injured over the incident.

"Sarina told me she's not more than 130 or 140 years old," she led quietly, trying to calm him down. "She'd have to have been no more than twenty years old when she gave birth to me, if that's what you're saying!"

"I conceived my first son when I was sixteen, love," he muttered with a bitter smirk. "Age means nothing, for the most part?and the younger they are, the less the counterparts can even imagine the repercussions of their actions. She was probably too young to tolerate the idea of having a child!"

"Even if she did, how can you prove that to me?"

"Tenshi are almost always born with a sixth sense. You don't have a clue where you came from. And you can't forget just how good my senses are." She felt cornered, his golden eyes pinning her in her seat. "It's nothing, really, dear, to be Tenshi. After all I've done to you..." he tickled the lobe of her ear with the tip of his tongue, smiling, "it's not like you'd ever be another Rivelle...." He snorted, then whispered in her ear, "It just surprises me that it evaded me for so long...."

She shoved him off her and gave him a vile look. "Don't you even think about taking advantage of me, you beast."

He laughed. "My dear, you know I'd never do such a thing." He opened his arms wide, smiling generously. "I love you with all my very soul; that is, if you can even believe I have a soul, considering how you treat me."

She was completely confused all of a sudden, unable to read him at all. "I?" She never finished her thought, and vanished in a puff of smoke, having teleported away somewhere.

You scared her away, I seethed.

"No, I think she went someplace to figure out exactly who she is. You've had experience with that, have you not?"

~*~*~*~*~*~

::Maki::

I tried to clear my mind by walking around in the gardens. It was spring now, and the climbing roses that covered the high stone walls and trellises were budding up. It had misted that morning, and I could smell the dew and rosebuds. It was very calming for me. I let my curly brazen hair down out of the high ponytail in which it had been, and unbuttoned the top button of my collar. Picking a rose that had just barely opened up, I smiled and held the golden bud to my nose and smelled of it. I sighed, content, and found one of the benches to rest, sitting and looking up at the sky.

A few hours of just sitting there passed without interruption. I heard a "cha" from overhead and looked to see a small black creature perched atop one of the walls of the estate. I sat up and stared at it curiously, somehow frightened by not knowing what it was. I stood and walked up to where it was, all the time our eyes locked. It fluttered down and perched on my shoulder, snuffling and crawling all over me. It seemed half-reptile and half-mammal, and it had wings and a tail, and purple hair. I panicked when it first landed on me, but it grew on me the longer it stayed. It was so weirdly adorable...! I couldn't quite place why.... Maybe it was just how fluffy its black fur was.

I pulled it off me by the nape of the neck as it clung to my chest, looking up at me with those huge, golden eyes, then cradled it in my arms, smiling. "Where'd you come from?"

It cooed softly. "Suri-lady told me to come looking for a mean man with long black hair. Just now came to Ecruteak?came looking for mean man that hurt Suri-Lady and Kurai!"

It startled me that it had actually replied to me, let alone hear it speak perfectly-articulated, however broken, human speech. It took a minute for what it had said to sink in, but when it did, I got a really sarcastic look on my face. "A mean man with long black hair, you said?"

~*~*~

"I believe this is yours," I muttered, walking up to Takeru with a sneer.

He stared at the little gargoylish creature on my arm and blinked, at a loss for words. "Y?where *were* you all morning, Maki, that you found this thing!"

"Pff, I was in the garden. It flew up to me a few minutes ago."

"Kurai" glared at him with daggers in her eyes. He matched her gaze. I broke up laughing at such a sight, then yelped when he lunged at it, the eyes in his face suddenly popping out and glowing as viciously as his bared teeth were sharp. I backed off when the thing fluffed its fur out violently and splayed at him.

"What the hell is wrong with you, Takeru!?" I squealed, completely beside myself in fright that he of all people would be so turned to rage by the mere sight of something so small and cute.

"That?" he hissed, "?is your mother's Ditto. That?that thing has my Kurai strand...! Look at what it did to such a beautiful creature! It's disgusting!"

She bared a sudden mouthful of toothpicklike fangs at him and he returned the favour to scale. "Suri-lady didn't know giving Kurai the blood would make mean man angry! Not blame Suri-lady or Kurai for having mean man's blood!"

I began to grow more and more nervous by the minute with the two of them in the same room together. If I knew anything, he got REALLY possessive when it came to things of such a matter. Hell, I'd been his wife for a century now, and he never once had even considered giving me a Kurai strand. If this thing had practically stolen it from him, I could only imagine just how violent the ensuing scene would be. "Takeru, stop this instant!" I demanded.

He wagged his tongue at the creature, hunching over and thrusting his wings out of his back, splaying at it in a return of intimidation.

"I SAID STOP IT!" I roared, glaring at him.

He turned to look at me and blinked, flustering, unable to finger quite how to react. "But?"

"No! I refuse to let you tear this poor thing to pieces!"

The fluff got a surge of pride and grinned. "Last time Kurai fighted with mean man Kurai won," it beamed.

I stared at it, breaking a cold sweat. "What."

Takeru snarled at it. "That creature absorbed my base genetics somehow; apparently the species that make up a Kurai have particularly poisonous female counterparts."

The comment went straight over Kurai's comprehension, but it ignored this. "Kurai bite mean man lots of times! Mean man couldn't move!" It giggled at him, but squeaked when he screeched at it and lunged down to grab it, scrambling up the curtains to get away from him.

The creature's attitude was getting to be far too much for Takeru to be able to control himself, and he started shifting completely Kuraitenshi in his fury. About half-way through the transformation, Kurai began to undergo the same changes, taking a defencive stance on the wall, claws dug into the wood. I looked on in horror when the two full-blown beasts pounced upon each other, becoming a flurry of sharp ends, locked together in total, passionate hatred.

".... BOTH OF YOU!" They ignored me. My ears rang in total irritation, then built the resolve to take the letter opener from the desk and slice it across my bare forearm. I gritted my teeth as I felt the blood trickle down onto my palm, and tried to concentrate as hard as I could on what part of me would get their attention. My skin became infinitely smoother and scaly, a beautiful powder blue; I felt my ears taper upward into my hair; but, other than a few rearrangements of internal organs, no other noticeable differences took place. It would have shocked me then that it had actually worked, but I had put everything on the line that it would. Before I had done such a thing the blood of my veins had run crimson, but it now was an almost nauseating deep purple?thick, pungent, and staining.

Not an instant after I'd finished the metamorphosis did both of them stop what they were doing to stare at me hungrily, not even breathing they were so shocked. Their eyes wide, they let go of each other and slowly inched towards me, both of them on all fours, tails twitching behind them. Not a foot from me each of them, I forced a breath of annoyance through my flared nostrils as they drooled over the sheer sight and smell of the wound.

"Kurai hasn't had that since Suri-lady left Lavender..." she whispered, gaze locked on the drop that was about to fall to the carpet.

"If you promise me you won't fight, then I'll let you each have a taste."

The both of them instantly complied with me, returning to their normal forms, and sat there, begging like sick dogs. I sneered, disgusted, and swept up a fingerful from my arm, then, completely fed up, rammed it in Takeru's gaping mouth, leaving it there just long enough for him to suck it off my fingertips. I proceeded to do the same for the dysfunctional Ditto, then forced my Ditto strand to shut off the wound immediately.

"Now then, might we attempt a civil conversation?"

Takeru and Maki o_O

Rebecca M. Renfield

The Bird of Hermes
    Years
  • And slowly, you come to realise it's all as it should be. You can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me.

For the love of life is a trade-off. We could lose it all, but we'll go down fighting.

And what of the children? Surely they can't be blamed for our mistakes?

And slowly, I've come to realise it's all as it should be. That hiding space, that lonely place. But can the right thing be so wrong? I've found mistakes where they don't belong....

For the love of life will defeat this. They might tear us down, but we'll go down fighting... won't we?

=========================================================

Last chapter of The Kuraitenshi. Those Things with Wings Chapter One will be coming along shortly. (And I apologize to my vet readers for having done a transition-between-books chapter like I always do. :X)

And the title of this chapter is from the opening theme for the first season of Mons?er, called "The Love of Life." Look up the lyrics sometime, if it matters. Great series?little Keiji makes a great Johann. LMAO

Chapter Eleven: It's All As It Should Be

I sent Kurai off to get "Suri-lady" and bring her up to the estate. About half an hour later the woman showed up with her pet on her shoulder, half-hiding behind her owner's head. I hadn't had much of a look at her when Sarina'd brought her to the asylum before, but I got one then, our clover green eyes locked. She was wearing a white button-down shirt, unbuttoned, over a black undershirt, and a pair of jeans. Her dull black hair was relatively short, cut in such a fashion that made it look rather fluffy; it hung just long enough to hide almost completely a pair of round green earrings. The more I looked at her, the more I realised just how similar our facial features were. She was even about as tall as I.

Takeru knew better than to get me angry and kept his distance, sulking in the far corner of the room. She saw him there beyond me and he glared at her intensely.

I shot him a dirty look and he stopped, mumbling under his breath. "What is it that you wanted with him?" I began, taking a seat on the edge of the desk. "The Ditto told me you came all the way from Lavender."

She shook the daze from her. "I?I'm sorry. I'm just not used to seeing Tenshi, I guess. I didn't know you were... Tenshi...?"

"Nor I," I muttered quietly. "I didn't know about it until just recently; I grew up in Mahogany, in an orphanage. They brought me up as a human...." I had hoped that it might spur her to remember?I had to know whether Takeru was actually right about this. He'd already blown away an entire chunk of my reality within a matter of minutes.

"I... I'm sorry...."

I could tell that my words had actually had some effect upon her memory from the facial expression she bore then. "I think it's rather ironic?I could say that I'd still be alive a hundred years later because I'm Tenshi, but Takeru probably would have killed me by now if he hadn't given me a Ditto strand. You know his tendency for Tenshi, I'm sure."

She stared at me, completely bewildered. "And yet you're married to him!?" she exclaimed in exasperation.

"I gave her the Ditto strand so I wouldn't kill her, even if I couldn't control myself," he admitted. "Besides, even Tenshi have a life span."

I glanced at him, suddenly somehow belittled by his statement. After a minute, my heart fell, and I forgot my subtlety then. "Suri, you didn't have a child in the 1890's, did you?"

She sat down in one of the two chairs in front of the desk (it happened to be the closest thing that could have given her balance from her shock). "I... I did...." She understood all of what I'd hinted a minute ago and looked at me solemnly. "I'm sorry.... I... I just didn't know how to handle having a human's child...."

"Did you even love him?" I asked flatly, not looking at her.

The longer it went on, the more disgusted she was with herself. "I... I don't even remember him, to tell you the truth.... Back when I was a teenager, I'd been rather unrestrained in my activities. You were a wake-up call, so to speak. I hadn't gotten pregnant from any of the other men before, but then there you were.... I don't know how long it was before I just decided to leave you at that orphanage. I realised that I'd been wasting my life with decadent ways, and I cracked back down on my genetic studies. This is my first time out of Lavender in a century."

"Heh, I guess you're not the only one that runs away from her problems," Takeru mused, playing with his fingers. "It runs in the family to shove harsh reality out of your system."

Silence ensued as we stewed over his derision, unable to make out whether to pipe up about it.

"You never answered me?why did you come to Ecruteak, Suri?"

"Oh! Ah, yes, why I came...." She snorted, smiling a little. "I don't actually know. I just knew I had to."

"Impetuousity. Yet another way you're just like your mother," he continued.

"Shut your mouth," I snapped.

He rolled his eyes and kicked back boredly against the paneled wall. "Yes, dear."

She simply blinked. "He... he listens to you."

"Of course I do," he muttered. "I love her."

"I'm sure there's much more to it than that," I told her. "It doesn't make any sense to me, either."

"You don't love him?"

My eyes had been on Takeru, but they fell to the floor when she asked this. "I... I don't love Takeru."

"Even though she's a psychiatrist," he crowed, starting to pace, "she treats me like two different people. It's weird and particularly unexpectable?you'd think she'd make us a single entity because we're in the same skull, like all humans would. But I'm not entirely sure whether she doesn't love me." He smirked coldly and looked to me. "She wouldn't let me nibble on her if she didn't like it."

"You're completely different from Keiji," I spat. "I only let you taste me from time to time because it keeps you quiet."

"Hardly true, you lying sow," he grinned, craning over me with a wicked look in his eyes. He pinned me to the desk and locked gazes with me. "Try to fool someone that doesn't know you. You think you fell in love with just Keiji, but you're an empath. You subconsciously knew I was there?just not that we were two different people."

I flustered, glaring up at him with disgust. I shoved him off once I could muster the arm strength, then stood up again and brushed at my shirt. "You don't suppose you came here to make amends with him for having stolen from him, do you?"

"You're changing the subject because you know I'm right," he sang.

Again, I shot him a dirty look, and he receded to where he'd previously slumped in the corner, grumbling.

"I?" She now was the one unable to form a response, bemused by not only the question but the entire conversation. "I didn't consciously accept that what I'd done was theft when I did it. I only cared whether what I did could be done."

"Scientists are all alike," he muttered, feeling like a beaten animal from how I was treating him. "You don't care about how you do what you do?you just do it."

She now was the one put off by his attitude. But, like myself, she couldn't come up with a rebuttal. "I?I didn't think I was stealing!" she exclaimed, defencive.

"Yeah!" Kurai sided.

I pinched the bridge of my nose in annoyance. "I didn't want to get the two of them fighting again, let alone you and him," I whined, irritated.

She was about to speak up in confusion over what had happened before she'd gotten there, but the phone rang, cutting her train of thought off.

I picked it up. "Hello...? Yes, this is she.... Oh, it's you...... I'll tell him.... Yes...." My ears rang as I hung up. "That was Anne. Apparently, Keiji's acting up."

Takeru made a face. "Why in the world would she call you?"

"How *else* would she get a hold of you? She wants you to talk some sense into her."

"Uh, I'm sorry, it's probably not my place for asking, but what the bloody hell are you talking about?"

I snorted. "Takeru's from another dimension, Suri. He came here somehow, and for some reason decided that he'd make the Keiji in this timeline like him."

"She would have ended up a Dragon regardless," he muttered, put off. "Her father found the brooch here, too."

"I am so incredibly lost..." Suri uttered, smushing her face in her hand.

"Go deal with her," I growled. "She's like this because you screwed with her head."

"I didn't think she'd get like this!"

"Stop defending what you did to her and go talk to her!" I creeched, brandishing a finger at him. "This conversation is over!"

"B?"

"SHOO!"

His eyes shot wide and he hissed at me, vanishing in a puff of smoke.

"What did you *do* to him to make him obey you like that?" she wondered, completely frightened by the fact.

"I don't know, actually. One day he decided that he'd start treating me like he's my pet or something."

"I knew there was something wrong with that one," she replied, looking at where he'd last been. "You know, it somehow makes me happy that you're still alive and doing well. In a way, the fact that you still exist proves that moving on was for the best."

"Why's that?"

"Because. If Takeru hadn't met you, he wouldn't have married you. And if he hadn't married you, then he would probably kill a lot more people than he does."

"What a reason to be happy your daughter's still alive," I grumbled, rolling my eyes.

~*~*~*~*~*~

::The younger Toshi, about half an hour earlier::

As I grabbed an apple from the countertop, I looked out the kitchen window. I blinked, staring at my little sister sitting out in the back yard. I was still getting used to the fact that she was my sister?it was only about a month ago that I'd found out that my father had been forcing her to be a boy all these years. Our mom had told us that he'd gone away on a Trainer's journey, but we both knew better now?he'd been committed.

"Mom, she's doing it again," I whined, not turning from watching her work away.

"What's she doing this time?" she called back from the living room, where she was sitting, watching TV.

"I... I think she's building a box or something. A big, black, rectangular box."

This got her attention and she turned the TV off, coming to take a look for herself. She stared in exasperation after a minute. "Go tell her to quit it. She listens to you when she's like this."

I nodded, ducking out the back door. I walked up to her, polishing the apple on my chest. "Keiji... what are you building?"

"A coffin," she replied coyly, not looking to me as she worked at painting it black.

I had been just about to take a bite out of my apple, but stopped short at hearing it. My jaw dropped. "Why are you making a coffin!" I exclaimed.

Her emerald green eyes glanced at me without emotion. "You should know why I'm building a coffin."

I made a face. "I know I should probably know why, but tell me anyway."

"I dunn' feel right sleeping in a bed," she uttered, returning to her work. "Humans sleep in a bed."

"Keiji..." I began, wrapping my arms around her in an attempt to make her feel better. "You're human."

She shirked me off. "You touched my brooch," she hissed, suddenly animate over such a thing. She didn't even care how mussed her hair was?she went straight to coddling the emerald brooch at her throat. "What have I told you about touching my brooch?"

"I?I'm sorry," I parrotted, backing away. Being frightened of a ten-year-old is being seriously frightened.

She calmed down, realising she'd scared me, and sighed, sitting in the grass. "I should be the one that's sorry.... This stupid brooch just overwhelms me so much!"

"I know, Keiji. That's why you're compelled to do things like make a coffin to sleep in, or paint all over your doll with red paint to make it look like she's been attacked."

"I just... I cann' take it off.... I feel so weak without it... like I cann' breathe... like I cann' stand...." She looked at her pale hands, sorrow in her eyes. "I hate what I've become."

I heard someone walk up behind us and turned to find the Takeru standing there. "Why do you hate yourself?" he asked her, crossing his arms across his chest.

She just stared at him. "I havvunn' seen you since I became like this..." she stated, shocked as I was to see him. "How come you came?"

"Heh, your mother called the asylum and I happened to be in earshot. You know, it's not normal for little girls to want to make their own deathbeds."

"You're one to talk, you stupid vampire," I snapped, glaring up at him. He glared at me and I shut up, eyes wide as saucers.

"Don't talk to me that way, boy," he muttered, overarticulating to accentuate his teeth. He then turned back to Keiji, walking up to her and kneeling down to her level. "Why in the world did you start this project here?"

"Why do you care?" she pouted, turning away from him.

"I know you're not doing it to get attention," he began, reaching to put his hand on her shoulder. "Is it?" She shook her head 'no' rapidly. "Oh, come now. Talk to me...."

"Why should I? You still haven't told me why you did this to me."

"....You made my little sister like this!?" I choked out, suddenly enraged. I grabbed the screwdriver that laid in the grass and leapt upon him, stabbing him in the chest with it, then stabbed him again, and again. I tried for a fourth time, but he snatched my wrist before I could plunge it down into his ribcage again. I panicked and tried to get away from him, seeing that I hadn't done hardly anything to him at all, but couldn't escape his grasp. "L?let go of me!!" I squeaked, flailing.

"What have I told you about interfering with my affairs, you little rat?" he seethed, fangs longer in his anger than they'd been. His chest had bled profusely for a minute, but now the wounds had all but completely healed.

"Dunn' hurt him!" Keiji screeched, tears in her eyes.

He didn't do anything else to me, just sitting there, glaring at me, enfuriated. "You don't know anything about this, Toshi. Neither of you does."

"I know enough to understand that Keiji didn't start acting like this until you showed up."

"You know how stupid that sounds! I've visited her for six years now!" He let go of me and looked Keiji in the eyes with a faint smile. "No, You're acting like this because of the brooch."

I rubbed my wrist and pouted, watching him talk with her.

"I... I know that..." she replied, dumbstricken that he was paying attention to her for once. "But what happened to me...?"

"It's called a Permutation," he explained, holding her chin in his left hand lovingly such that she would look him in the face. "I'm sorry that you're having so much trouble adjusting to it, but it's for the best, dear.... You see, it drove your father insane because it gave him the power to get what he wanted, but it also manipulated how he thought. He got to be too demanding, too... psychotic. But you?you're not weak like he was. You can bear it."

I was disgusted with him so completely then. He was toying with the very fate of my sister. "How do you know she can? She's just a little girl!"

He snapped to stare at me again, irritated. "Why won't you just shut up, Toshihiro?"

"Because I want answers, you stupid vampire!"

He growled, closing his eyes shut. "I'm not a vampire, boy. I just look like one." He sighed, annoyed. "No, I guess you never did get the whole picture. In another time, you'd be my big brother." I stared at him, completely knocked senseless from the statement. I just didn't know how to react! "So obviously, since I *am* Keiji, I know what she's capable of."

"B?but you're a man!"

"Don't even start with me." He looked near to exploding how enfuriated he was with me. "I. Cannot. Handle. This. I just can't." He mustered the ability to say it, seeming almost nauseated from admitting it. "Where I come from... when I was her age... I was given the ability to choose to comply fully with my father's wishes. I never knew what it was to be female; I don't want that for her?at least, if I can help it."

"Y... you did all this... just so I would realise that what my father wanted me to be was physically impossible...?" she uttered. "I knew that, Takeru...!"

"Of course it's physically impossible," he replied. "What I wanted you to realise is that it isn't mentally impossible. I became a man because that's what I knew. I didn't know how to be what I really was."

She sniffled, suddenly overwhelmed. "Do I know how to be... what I really am...?"

"I don't know. Do you?"

After a minute of trying to comprehend what he'd said, she fell into his lap and clutched his shirt, crying. "Why? Why is this brooch doing this to me!"

"Embrace it, dear," he consoled, petting her hair. "It won't hurt if you let it take its course."

"Daddy issunn' here anymore...!" she wailed. "Why do I have to do this!!"

"You weren't mentally strong until you accepted what was in you all along. It's too complicated to explain properly, but you have to trust me, Keiji."

"This brooch is in me?" she spat, thinking what he'd said was stupid.

"I've told you before to think about it in terms that it's magical. That thing's so scientifically advanced that it actually has the ability to modify how your body and soul interact."

"You're going to confuse her," I muttered. "Little kids don't understand spirits and stuff. They're afraid of ghosts and monsters and stuff."

"You're afraid of Takeru," Keiji defended, half-amused.

"I FREAKING STABBED HIM THREE TIMES AND HE DIDN'T EVEN CRY OUT IN PAIN!" I defended, brow furrowed. "THERE IS SOMETHING NOT RIGHT ABOUT THAT!!"

"So what if I'm a masochist?" he mumbled, incredibly amused. "You get to enjoy and respect being practically immortal when you've been alive as long as I have."

"You like being stabbed? That's disgusting."

He sneered at me. "You're one to judge. You're interested in Pok?mon on a much more profound level than most people would ever like to admit."

I flustered, feeling completely violated. "Sh?shut up!"

He laughed at me, then the two of them vanished. I just sat there and fell apart at that point, completely beside myself. A few minutes later, I exclaimed, "Bring back my sister, you stupid vampire!!"

~*~*~*~*~*~

::The younger Keiji::

From the yard, I found myself in my bedroom with Takeru.

He smiled at me, with that warm smile that seemed so incredibly creepy to see on such a cruel-looking face. "Will you promise me something, Keiji?"

"Mm?"

"Promise me you won't let people tell you how to live your life." He took a necklace out from under his shirt and held it out, looking at it solemnly for a moment. "I think you should have this, dear," he began, slipping it around my neck. The pendant was a golden rosebud. "It's the trinket that let me take control of my life. You seem to need a nudge in the right direction."

"Wh?what's so special about it...?" I uttered, holding it in my hands. "It's so pretty... but...."

He let out an amused breath through his nostrils. "It gave me the abilities of a Ditto. And it can do the same for you, dear."

I simply stared at it. "H?how...?"

"It's magic," he half-mocked, in that way that adults always mock how the young think. "Just hold it in your hands and concentrate on it."

I did what he'd told me, closing my eyes and clasping my hands around the piece of gold around my neck. Moments later I let go in shock, having felt it change shape. I gawked at it?it had opened its petals as though it had bloomed!

"Hnn, maybe now your mother won't tell me to interfere anymore. She needs to make her mind up already whether or not she hates me." He snorted. "Yeah, she'll definitely hate me once she finds out what I did. She won't understand what I did, but sure as Hell, she'll hate me for it." He chuckled over it a minute, then held me by the shoulders and looked me in the eyes, thoroughly pleased. "Don't let anyone take that necklace, okay?"

I nodded.

"Do you still hate me?" he asked.

I shook my head. "Thank you," I smiled, hugging him. "How do I...?"

"You're a smart girl. You'll figure it out." Then he vanished like he always did.

"What'd he do?" Toshi asked, finally figuring out where he'd taken me.

"Oh, nothing," I smiled, having already tucked the necklace into my shirt. "You know him?always making more out of things than there really is."

Last edited:
    Back