• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen The Wonders of Wonder Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Austin1395

Dark-type Trainer
Years
  • @RYOUKI: It isn't really pessimism when it's true. I've been patient with Wonder Trade. Twice a week I'll go onto the Wonder Trade for about an hour at least and all I get is Fletchlings, Elemental Monkeys, Bunnelbys, and things of the that nature. It is on rare occasion that I get something like a starter but, since I have already received them before, and considering that they're nothing but the leftover scraps from a Breeders unwanted selection, they really aren't special or something I want. I have never gotten a shiny, or anything with perfect IVs/EVs. You want to know what I got last week? A Dugtrio named "SorryDude". There's a point where it becomes fact and not pessimism. I'll agree, there are probably some decent people on the Wonder Trade. But I have yet to meet them in the several hours I've thrown at it.

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
  • @RYOUKI: It isn't really pessimism when it's true. I've been patient with Wonder Trade. Twice a week I'll go onto the Wonder Trade for about an hour at least and all I get is Fletchlings, Elemental Monkeys, Bunnelbys, and things of the that nature. It is on rare occasion that I get something like a starter but, since I have already received them before, and considering that they're nothing but the leftover scraps from a Breeders unwanted selection, they really aren't special or something I want. I have never gotten a shiny, or anything with perfect IVs/EVs. You want to know what I got last week? A Dugtrio named "SorryDude". There's a point where it becomes fact and not pessimism. I'll agree, there are probably some decent people on the Wonder Trade. But I have yet to meet them in the several hours I've thrown at it.

I can see your frustrations and that is a very sad experience indeed, but...! You can't lose hope! Some leftover scraps are actually pretty good. You can actually use that in the GTS. I guess, I really can't say anything else for you but don't lose hope. I guess you could just change your mindset into "it's better to give than receive". Who knows, you might actually be pleasantly surprise.

Though one thing I'm recommending you is to WonderTrade in weird intervals and determine which timing in your timezone many "good" Pokemon are being traded into WT. Mine is at 11AM-1PM though I usually play at evenings and that's where hordes of Elemental Monkeys and Pikachu comes out.

Austin1395

Dark-type Trainer
    Years
  • I can see your frustrations and that is a very sad experience indeed, but...! You can't lose hope! Some leftover scraps are actually pretty good. You can actually use that in the GTS. I guess, I really can't say anything else for you but don't lose hope. I guess you could just change your mindset into "it's better to give than receive". Who knows, you might actually be pleasantly surprise.

Though one thing I'm recommending you is to WonderTrade in weird intervals and determine which timing in your timezone many "good" Pokemon are being traded into WT. Mine is at 11AM-1PM though I usually play at evenings and that's where hordes of Elemental Monkeys and Pikachu comes out.

I still have hope to some extent because I know that there are decent people out there. And that is mainly why I do still use it. I prefer giving over receiving but there is a point where it gets frustrating that I don't receive anything decent. I have heard that there are certain times where the WT is better and I haven't seemed to find what that time is for my timezone since half the time I'm at a location where my 3DS is unable to connect to the WiFi but, thank you for the recommendation nonetheless. And the last time I checked on the GTS, I saw someone offering their Xerneas for a Mew. For. A. Mew. So yeah, I'm just going to stay far away from the GTS. It was flawed in BW2 and it unfortunately still is.

Years
  • That, and everyone's asking for the most ridiculous stuff. Want a Flabebe? Have to trade a Yveltal. Need a Houndour? Gotta cough up a Zapdos. Looking for a starter you don't have? You better have a muthafackin' Hoopa.

Main reason why I find the GTS unreliable.

On topic:

WT is also a good resource for breeding, that's where I got my Goodra with Counter, he doesn't care about Talonflame lol. Anyway I'm not that of a d*** just to trade away some random-*** Pokemon I just caught in the wild, I give away my 3 IV leftovers since some other guy/girl will have better use for them.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    And the last time I checked on the GTS, I saw someone offering their Xerneas for a Mew. For. A. Mew. So yeah, I'm just going to stay far away from the GTS. It was flawed in BW2 and it unfortunately still is.
    You can still make profit out of the GTS, although it can be as hard as breeding for a perfect Pokemon. Making offers is easier as taking them from others, that's the way you have to use the GTS successfully. And even then it's only use is to get a Pokemon with unknown stats for breeding/training and not for letting other people do your work.

I still have so many good Pokemon left to trade. So many, that I even freed a lot of them in order to get box space back. The only problem is that I don't have anything I'd like to get at the moment and trading for IDs...well maybe sometime.

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
  • I have started to pass the unsavory Pokemon back into the Wonder Trade like a fruitcake. Perhaps I will start naming them fruitcake as well.

Austin1395

Dark-type Trainer
    Years
  • You can still make profit out of the GTS, although it can be as hard as breeding for a perfect Pokemon. Making offers is easier as taking them from others, that's the way you have to use the GTS successfully. And even then it's only use is to get a Pokemon with unknown stats for breeding/training and not for letting other people do your work.

I still have so many good Pokemon left to trade. So many, that I even freed a lot of them in order to get box space back. The only problem is that I don't have anything I'd like to get at the moment and trading for IDs...well maybe sometime.

Well yeah, sure, you can still find something good on the GTS. But that's incredibly difficult when, like I said, there's people on there asking for things like Mew, something that isn't obtainable in X and Y, and that's near impossible to get without cheating as it is. Sure, making an offer is easy, but, there are so many on there that yours is likely to just get lost in the crowd, so to speak. But, since that way is, easier, as you say, if everyone did it that way, than the GTS would be completely uselss. At least now you can still make out with what you want on occasion but if everyone just made offers instead of shifting through the tons of bogus ones that are already up there, then nothing would ever happen with the GTS.

If you still have that many Pokemon like you claim, and if they're actually good and you're just going to release them into the wild, why not Wonder Trade them? If they're as good as you say, then you'll make some random players quite happy. Heck, if just a few players got something that good in the Wonder Trade, maybe it would turn their opinion around and maybe they'll start taking the risk of putting something that is actually of value and worth using on the Wonder Trade.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    This is starting to make me think I should mass breed the good stuff I have and send it into Wonder Trade. I haven't actually traded off much of anything good so far via Wonder Trade (but have received some good things), so maybe I should start.

Austin1395

Dark-type Trainer
    Years
  • This is starting to make me think I should mass breed the good stuff I have and send it into Wonder Trade. I haven't actually traded off much of anything good so far via Wonder Trade (but have received some good things), so maybe I should start.

You definitely should. I mean, if you've gotten something good, then why not return the favor to Wonder Trade and hopefully we can get a decent amount of people to use it the way it was intended. I know once PokeBank is open and I transfer my Pokemon over, I've got some old level 100's of Pokemon that I've retrained in Kalos that I'm planning on Wonder Trading because just think about how freaking happy some person is going to be, receiving a level 100 Hydreigon for their crappy Route 1 scrap or their breeding rejects.

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2015
    The best I got was a Caterpie traded away and a Level 30 Haunter, which then evolved into Gengar. I've also gotten a few Eevee's, some starters and some obscure Pokemon from previous generations but I've also traded out about 20 Eevee's through breeding and plenty of starters, including about 8 Charmanders.

Years
    • Seen Oct 6, 2015
    I have almost a box full of usable pokemon from this, the majority from the Japanese. I'm always pessimistic when I connect to an American :( I'm giving away FS pokemon and receiving weedle and ****.

I can't stop using it though. I love the gamble lol. Any multiple 31iv pokes I don't need I just send them in.

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2015
    Just did a few Wonder Trades:

-Gulpin Lv10 > Chatot Lv23
    -Goomy Lv11 > Gollett Lv20
    -Trapinch Lv30 > Dragonair Lv30 (HA) (sent it back out, already have Dragonite)
    -Dragonair Lv30 (HA) > Clauncher Lv25 (sent it back out, already have Clawitzer)
    -Clauncher Lv25 > Slowpoke Lv1
    -Dedenne Lv36 > Froakie Lv14 (sent it back out, already have Greninja)
    -Froakie Lv14 > Murkrow Lv1 (sent it back out, already have Honchkrow)
    -Murkrow Lv1 > Poliwhirl Lv35 (sent it back out, already have Poliwrath, Poliwhirl and Poliwag in box)
    -Poliwhirl Lv35 > Gollett Lv19 (sent back out)
    -Gollett Lv19 > Goomy Lv1 (sent back out)
    -Goomy Lv1 > Skorupi Lv35 (sent back out)
    -Skorupi Lv35 > Goomy Lv1 (at this point I gave up)

Needed the second Slowpoke for the two evolutions. Kept Chatot just cos he's a neat Pokemon. So I didn't get anything new for the Dex, but I'm in the high 300's now, so that's gonna get tougher anyway.

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
  • You definitely should. I mean, if you've gotten something good, then why not return the favor to Wonder Trade and hopefully we can get a decent amount of people to use it the way it was intended. I know once PokeBank is open and I transfer my Pokemon over, I've got some old level 100's of Pokemon that I've retrained in Kalos that I'm planning on Wonder Trading because just think about how freaking happy some person is going to be, receiving a level 100 Hydreigon for their crappy Route 1 scrap or their breeding rejects.
    Except they are unable to use them until they beat all of the gyms :(

Austin1395

Dark-type Trainer
    Years
  • Except they are unable to use them until they beat all of the gyms :(

For some players that is the case, yeah. But, there's a whole heck of a lot of people who have beaten the game on there still. And even so, they may even just use it for breeding to get some decent egg moves. Main point is, they have something nice for whatever they want to use it for.

Years
  • I've haven't had a problem with the wonder trade system. I've receive some decent pokemon, threw up some shinies and breeding "rejects" with the message "check the IVs" (4-5 IVs on them). Oh wait, here's the kicker... if I get a really good trade for something that in don't think was worth it, I try to trade them personally with something better

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • Austin1395 - You're expecting wayyy too much. So what were you giving away in returns for those? I have got Pokemons I like and Pokemons I don't like. It's the fun/ time killing for me. I don't expect much so I get more surprised, rather than grumping about how I don't get good Pokemon like you.

You can't expect everyone to be as decent; Not to mention it might be just some little kids whom are not able to read much yet.

Years
  • Another great thing about Wonder Trading is getting many Pokemon with different OTs. This boosts your chances a the Lumiose lottery. Every time I get a poke through Wonder Trade, if I have it already but it is , at least, as good as mine, I'll keep it and trade mine away. Thanks to this I almost always get 2 or more digits to match (so many PP pluses) :D

Anyone else does this?

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    Decided to wonder trade today to see how widespread this zubat "repel wore off" thing is.

On my third attempt I got a Zubat nicknamed "Bidoof". XD

Years
  • Well in my case, It has been a very 50-50 situation. half of the pokemon I received were level 1 with 4-6 perfect IV's (thank whomever sent me a 6IV Honedge).

On the other side, I have received a whole bunch of Bidoof's & Fletchling's...Joy!

There should be a variable about the trade instead of just pure randomness. A good example could be that if I send a pokemon that the IV judge says is "Outstanding"...It would be normal I get one back in return. That would most likely give some reward to those who work hard and the "trolls" that are clogging up the WT with elemental monkeys and what not would have what's coming to them.

Just my 2 cents

EDIT : Forgot to say to Ryouki that I really love your signature and I will spread the word if you don't mind the copy/paste

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2015
    Five more Wonder Trades, hopefully I'll get something nice.

Gollett Lv20 > Scraggy Lv1
    Abra Lv11 (Pokerus) > Bunnelby Lv3
    Mantyke Lv27 > Zubat Lv13
    Trapinch Lv1 > Pancham Lv1
    Eevee Lv30 (HA) > Eevee Lv1 (sent back out)
    Eevee Lv1 > Flabebe Lv1

And that's a wrap. Scraggy is cool. I already got him but two can't hurt. Everything else is meh.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back