• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Worst Boss Battles

pkmin3033

Bosses are often a climax to major points in a game's story, or designed as checkpoints to test a player's skill...and sometimes it seems like they're put there solely to infuriate. What are some of the worst boss battles you've ever come across in video games? What made them so bad?

This thread was brought to you by Flamelurker.

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    The Golem Overlord in Chrono Trigger

I mean there's not really much to say about this boss? The battle itself is pretty stupid because it's not even possible to lose. You either beat the guy or let him escape because he is "afraid of heights". At least I think it serves as free exp. (if you beat him) and comic relief.
    Ozzie's battles in the same game are very stupid too, but if you don't know what to do at least you can lose iirc. But well, Ozzie is meant to be a very idiotic character and he also gave us one of my favorite boss battles of the whole game: Zombor.

Years
  • I've always hated the dragon thing that attacks the air ship in FFX. I don't know what about that one part of the game is so damn difficult, maybe it's just a matter of where it comes up in the game with how irritatingly hard to kill it is. I'll be back back later with more lmao

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • Elizabeth's mom in Bioshock Infinite, I think she's called like the Siren or something I can't remember. Regardless she's a massive bullet sponge who spawns waves of enemies and you have to fight her three times.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
    Years
    • Age 22
    • He/they
    • Oregon
    • Seen Mar 14, 2023
    Shadow Mitsuo from Persona 4. In order to deal damage to him you half to knock out his armor. This armor takes at least several turns to knock out. Afterwards, you'll have three turns before said armor is regenerated. While Shadow Mitsuo is venerable he'll frequently use a spell that drains MP, the stat needed to use magic and heal your team. MP restoring items are extremely rare, meaning this boss can wear out your party very quickly. Fighting Shadow Mitsuo is even worse on the harder difficulties. If you're insane like me and play on these difficulties, expect him to deal ridiculous amounts of damage and dodge a lot of your attacks. On my third attempt, I managed to beat him after 80 minutes of non-stop fighting. The grating 8-bit remix of the generic boss battle theme made this already exhausting battle worse.

Years
  • Necron in FFIX. I finished that game for the first time a little while ago and I can't remember the last time I found a boss so damn infuriating.

Fleurdelis

Gunbreaker addict
    Years
  • Gimmepie when playing monarchs: absolute worst experience ever, yes i count this as a boss battle cause its that difficult

Also Calus in Destiny 2... fun and engaging gameplay all at once, cabal are terrible anyways

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • Stone Man from Mega Man 5. He's a decent concept on paper, but none of his uniqueness ever shines during battle. He can jump really high, and then...he just turns into a pile of bricks, and for some reason, he's invincible as a pile of bricks? He also launches one of the least effective attacks in existence (two rocks that kinda just spiral outward in a way that can almost never hit the player). Stone Man is much like his stage: long, dull, boring. Maybe if he was on a more powerful system than the NES, he would've had a much more interesting and difficult battle...

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • Gonna go ahead and say the third Infinite boss battle from Sonic Forces. I actually quite liked this game unlike a lot of other people who played the game, but I was really dissapointed with this boss battle as it was exactly basically the same as one of the boss fights from earlier in the game, when beforehand each boss battle in the game was varied in terms of how it worked. Not the best way to see off Infinite imo.

Uragirimono

this profile is embarassing dont look at me
    Years
    • Age 19
    • Seen Oct 6, 2023
    The ice dragon from Kirby's Dreamland 2. Never finished the game because of it.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
  • I had the hardest time against Magnius in Tales of Symphonia when I very first played it. I was fairly young at the time so I was trying to grasp the controls and stuff.

But after playing through it again for like the third time and actually beating the whole game that time, I found it wasn't too difficult at all that time.

pkmin3033

New candidate for me: Sigma's second form in Megaman X3. If you've played the game, you know why. I haven't seen a hitbox that busted since fucking Plesioth in Monster Hunter. I haven't been so angry at a boss since Flamelurker in Demons Souls. I could deal with him moving around, but the problem is that you have to shoot ABOVE his head to hit his head, which is just plain stupid. Especially when you have to wall jump to be at level with his head. I cannot believe how badly designed this boss was, especially after the first two Megaman X games.

Gigadweeb

[b][i]The Black Swordsman[/i][/b]
    Years
  • Bed of Chaos. A platform puzzle boss in an ARPG is just... no. Doesn't help how wonky the hitboxes for everything in the fight are.

Back