• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen The "WTF" Moment Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew McKenzie

Supporting Pokemon Since 1999
Years
  • Me? Finding out that Prof. Oak had to give you permission to use Rock Climb.

Nope. You have to have Blue's Badge, The 8th Kanto Badge to use HM8, Rock Climb.
    Blue says this himself after you beat him.
    THEN you get Rock Climb HM8 from Oak.

May not be a WTF moment,but first time I faced Ho-oh got it to like 1 HP paralyzed, perfect, wasn't thinking, bam attacked and K.O'd him, made me :(

This is nothing to worry about.
    If you KO HO-OH before the League, you can face it again after you beat the League! =3

My WTF Moment is the fact that I was against HO-OH, wittled down to 1HP, asleep.
    I had 30 Ultraballs. 30!
    Everytime it broke out without one little wobble for at least 20 PokeBalls.
    Everytime it woke up, I put it back to sleep.
    Last Ball, asleep, 3 wobbles...

It broke out.
    I actually shed some tears from all of the frustration.

Ikwaylx

Man with 10000 pronounciations
    Years
  • I have no clue on how to play this.
    It takes some thinking to get around the puzzles, but once you get the hang of the patterns that a line can take, then it's possible the complete level 1 in under 15 seconds.
    Even if you know these main patterns, there's still some lucky guessing involved at some points where you can't decide which card contains a voltorb. I guess that's the whole point of gambling really, even if it's low risk in this case.

At the start, look for lines which have 0 voltorbs in them, and flip them all for a free 5 point continue, this'll also help you cross off some other lines.
    If a line (Voltorbs + possible coin cards) adds up to 5, then it's useless; the cards will only be 1s and voltorbs of which you don't need/want. Mark them off and don't touch them :)
    If a line adds up to 6, if you find a 2, mark off the rest of the cards as voltorbs; the rest will be 1s and voltorbs.
    If a line adds up to 7, then things get more complicated. If you find a 3, then mark off the rest as voltorbs, and if you find a 2, then there will be another 2 card in the line somewhere.
    Further on, there might be lines which have 5 voltorbs in them. Mark them off and look for lines with 1 voltorb in them that passes through the 5 voltorb line. Flippo!

To be honest, I think it's much more fun than the slots, albeit the prizes are way too expensive. 10000 coins for the only good TMs...

Not to derail or anything, but regardless.
    I also had a WTF moment when I saw Falkner's level 13 (!!) Pidgeotto use Roost when I nearly downed it. Also gust being a special attack really sucks, as Geodude isn't as useful when gust takes off a third of its HP.

Last edited:

Manganum

Your local sine wave
    Years
  • Not really a WTF moment, but my biggest URGHGHGHG moment was when I got Lugia down to one pixel of health. Used Flash until his accuracy couldn't go lower, paralyzed him, and got down to 20 Ultra Balls.

He used Struggle.​

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2011
    my biggest wtf moment was when my eevee was on 8 hp and i switched it out but the raticate i was using it against used hyper fang before i got to switch out !!!

WTF!!!!!

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2015
    I was battling karen's umbreon with my Ampheros and it used skil swap. I used ThunderPunch, Ampheros became paraysed and so did the umbreon. there was no piont to skill swap as the same thing would have happened either way...

CakeForTheSoul

You Are A Cinema
    Years
    • Seen Sep 24, 2011
    Try Fighting Mewtwo and Pulling out Level 10 Pokemon and Letting it sit out there for 10 Turns before Mewtwo realizes that hes not doing anything.

Years
  • my wtf moment was when i was fighting some trainer (it was red or the elite four) with my nidoking and he had a choice scarf on
    he ran out of pp for earth power so i was going to switch
    accidentally hit "attack"
    he used struggle and hurt whatever pokemon to like 2-3 hp
    hit by recoil and did 73 dam to himself and fainted....

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Ughyuuguuughuhh moments are allowed as
    well hahahaha.

Basically catching Lugia was a half hour long "uuuuuuuughhuguughuuhu WTF!!!!?!1!1! Moment"

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Catching Raikou with a Friend Ball when I was going to just shut off my game afterwards (my battery was on red, so I was wandering around 'trying' to catch the Dogs).

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • So I'm surfing from Mahogany to Ecruteak, right? All's good.

THEN RAIKOU APPEARS ON THE WATER.

biggest wtf I've ever had in a game. I can understand Suicune, but Raikou, yeah whoa.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    I have a similar experience. One time I was just training pidgeotto just south of Goldenrod and all of a sudden Entei shows up for the first time.

At least I tried quick attacking :)

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • So I'm surfing from Mahogany to Ecruteak, right? All's good.

THEN RAIKOU APPEARS ON THE WATER.

biggest wtf I've ever had in a game. I can understand Suicune, but Raikou, yeah whoa.

Would've been more WTFery if it was Entei. ^^

I was fighting the Kimono Girls and I got PWNED the first time.

Second time I went in ready...

...and beat Jolteon with a level 3 Geodude.

wtf.

Years
  • My 'WTF' moment occured when I fought Mewtwo. It was hard weakening it and making it fall asleep. After restarting over 10 times I finally got it to like 1 mm of Red HP and it was asleep. When I was using my Ultraball,I realized,I used my Master Ball.
    /facepalm ):

Years
    • Seen Apr 12, 2010
    Easily the most WTF moment so far was Scyther in Bugsy's gym. I figured, right. I've levelled up all my guys to 20, I've got cyndaquil, this is a bug type gym - epic slaughter. Oh no.

Bugsy sends out Scyther. Quick attack. I get critical hit after critical hit. Cyndaquil is down before i can even use ember, Spearow goes down without much of a fight either as do the rest of my team. I spent a good hour or two grinding up before I had a decent stab at it.

Ironically Whitney's Miltank, which I thought would defecate all over me like it did last time i played Gold, was an easy win with Wooper.

Sasuke.

Hope | Less
    Years
  • First time fighting Lance. Thought all his full restores were gone. Decided not to heal Typholosion and guess what? He had one. -_-;

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back