• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Theism, Agnosticism, or Atheism?

Theism, Agnosticism, or Atheism?

• Total voters

Reck

?????
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    So what do you believe? Heres a brief description for each.

Theism in the broadest sense, is the belief that at least one deity exists. In a more specific sense, theism refers to a doctrine concerning the nature of a monotheistic God and God's relationship to the universe. Theism, in this specific sense, conceives of God as personal, present and active in the governance and organization of the world and the universe. The use of the word theism as indicating a particular doctrine of monotheism arose in the wake of the scientific revolution of the seventeenth century to contrast with the then emerging deism that contended that God, though transcendent and supreme, did not intervene in the natural world and could be known rationally but not via revelation.

Agnosticism is the view that the truth value of certain claims—especially claims about the existence or non-existence of any deity, but also other religious and metaphysical claims—is unknown or unknowable. Agnosticism can be defined in various ways, and is sometimes used to indicate doubt or a skeptical approach to questions. In some senses, agnosticism is a stance about the similarities or differences between belief and knowledge, rather than about any specific claim or belief.

Atheism in a broad sense, is the rejection of belief in the existence of deities. In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities. Most inclusively, atheism is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist. Atheism is contrasted with theism, which in its most general form is the belief that at least one deity exists.

thanks to wikipedia for definitions

No allow me to start this by saying i am Atheist.

On a side note. THIS IS IN NO MEANS A TRY TO START AN ARGUMENT BETWEEN THE BELIEVER AND NONBELIEVER!

Rainy Day

Perfect Weather
    Years
    I am a theist in the sense that I believe in the existence of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

So I'm a Pastafarian.

Last edited:

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    Agnosticism, because there's more to every story that a simple answer. Deities could very well exist, we just have no proof yet. I doubt we ever will, but who knows.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    I'm a Christian by nature so naturally I'm all for Theism.
    I'm not a conventional Christian, nor do I claim a home in any of the different sects of Christianity that exists, they are all both right and wrong at the same time.
    I read the bible and interpret His Will for myself. I do not shun the idea of asking someone for guidance, but ultimately I alone chart my course. I do this because no one minister, evangelist, priest, rabbi, pope, bishop or religious teacher has all the answers, and the wisest of these all know that.
    I do not deviate from Christianity's basic ideals, but I do not refuse to know the bare basics of other major religions so I may understand those people better.'

I am logical enough to tip my hat to truth, regardless of what religion has to say about it. The Truth does not have to be "Good and Right" by the religious teachings in order for it to be The Truth. Neither Fact or Faith have default precedence when there is a minor conflict. Each conflict is mediated individually.

Reck

?????
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    Those are all quite good explanations, Pachy I like the fact you seem very broadminded, more Christians need to be like you.

and Rainy Day the Flying Spaghetti Monster? haha

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Atheism, I am athiest because I just figured that my life was so bad at the time, and nothing was going right, that there was nothing up there that was going to help me.... So I stopped praying and took it upon myself to solve my own problems. I also stopped living in fear. Because with religion I felt like everything I did was a sin or my family would not approve. But now being an athiest, I have no fear of hell or demons, or the devil.

Years
    I would say I'm agnostic because I want to sound smart by saying I'd be willing to believe in gods if given evidence of their existence, but even if I was given evidence I'd probably not believe anyway because I'd rationalize it as something else. I really don't have it in me to believe in supernatural things so I may as well say I'm an atheist.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    I'm an agnostic-atheist. I don't believe in a supernatural being like god, but I don't believe a god doesn't exist, and I'm willing to believe said god exists if enough evidence is shown to me.

However, I just call myself an atheist because it's so much simpler.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I'm a theist. I don't think I'll be shaking my Baptist roots. I've always believed in God and Jesus Christ, and I don't see that ever changing.

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    I'm going to put myself in the agnostic category.

My parents come from very different and conflicting religious backgrounds and when they had my brother and I they decided that instead of fighting over what religion we'd be raised with, they dropped the conversation of religion in general. So that left me completely clueless about religion, which in a way has ended up being nice. I'm much more open minded to learning about other religious ideals than someone who believes in only one would. Not saying that everyone is that way at all, but you'd be surprised at how many kids in my worlds religions class sit and preach about why their religion is right and bash other ones.

So I do believe in a higher being, but I agree and disagree with ideals from numerous religions so I don't identify with just with one. Hence my agnostic standpoint.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    Atheist. I need scientific evidence to believe on anything. And I'd rather care about my current life before thinking about any afterlife world.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    I'm an atheist. Going to a Catholic school did nothing to drive the fear of God into me, and I just don't believe any of the stuff in what most people refer to as Scripture. Religion can work wonders for many people to cope with the harder aspects of life, and help them with some of the big questions, but it does nothing for me: simply because I don't believe in a deity.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
    Personally, atheist. I was raised Catholic, but after about ten years (:/) I realised it wasn't doing it for me. It's Easter Sunday today and I'm going to church with my family, but that's one of maybe three times a year that I go. I do it out of respect to them.

As well as that, although I turned away from the idea of the existence of a God, I still hold to the Catholic values as much as I can, because in essence, they are just common sense required to be a good person. Thou shalt not kill, thou shalt not steal, thou shalt not covet . . . most are sensible, while others warrant a little more thinking about, but here is neither the time nor place.

No, I don't believe there is a God, or any kind of god(s). If you showed me proof, I would be forced to change my ways, but I do not believe there is any proof for the existence of deities, hence I picked Atheist over Agnostic in the poll.

Note: I always found it interesting how the Bible often says 'Do not test the Lord'. To me, that just said 'Don't ask for proof, because we haven't got any.' That was one of the reasons I stepped out of the faith.

I don't think there is any kind of greater power. I like to believe in enormous coincidences, because it actually makes me appreciate my existence far more. Do I believe in an afterlife, or a soul? I actually don't know. I'd like to think I have a soul, and that there's somewhere for it to hang out after I die, but the same part of my mind that pushed away God tells me it's unlikely.

At the same time, though, I try to remain open-minded and respectful of all religions, especially the one that most of my family follows, Catholicism. But I know people who are Catholic, Protestant, Mormon, Jewish, and other religions I'd never even heard of and can't pronounce, but I treat them all with the same level of respect because ultimately, it's that person's choice. I made my choice a few years ago and I expect others to respect it just as much as I respect theirs, because in a way, atheism is a religion in and of itself.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    I'm an atheist through and through, I don't believe and I never will. You can waste your life that way.

I still hold to the Catholic values as much as I can, because in essence, they are just common sense required to be a good person. Thou shalt not kill, thou shalt not steal, thou shalt not covet . . .

I don't think churches have a patent on those, you're right, they're just common sense - I wouldn't call them Catholic values :P but I am glad you follow them!

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Posting to specify 'other': Apatheism — I am disinclined toward the notion that I should care either way.

Years
    I would describe myself as a secular humanist who isn't concerned with what anyone's religion is, just how respectful they are of other people, and whether what they're doing is causing harm or will cause harm to others.

Years
    I'm with Cassino here. (Thank you for exposing me to a term which finally fits me - I was using atheist 'til now.)
    I don't give a what you do in the bathroom.

Reck

?????
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    These are all quite interesting, I was never familiar with the term Apatheism, I guess you learn new things everyday.

On a side note it appears Atheism is as of right now the prominent belief among the people that visit this part of the forum.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    I'm most definitely theist, but I'm also not what you'd call religious.

I believe in the creation deity of the Abrahamic religions, but I see Him as more of a passive observer and judge of our race rather than as an omnipotent father figure...if that makes any sense at all.

Such a belief is often referred to as "Deism". The belief that God(s) exist but do(es) not interfere in our mortal affairs.

Last edited:
    Back