• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Theme of 7th gen starters?

Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2016
    There's always a theme on the starters, like 6th gens are Generic RPG Classes and 4ths are mythical creatures. What do you think? What is the theme of 7th gen starters? I have my own theory.

7th gen. starter theme: Stereotypical Love Triangle

Decidueye is the "smart, quiet and the nice guy" on the trio, while Incineroar is that bad boy and Primarina is of course the girl who two boys are fighting for.

What is your suggestion?

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 26, 2023
    I kinda agree with the circus theory. It makes sense, to be honest.

Primarina - The seal that balances the ball on it's nose.

Incineroar - The lion that jumps through hoops

Decidueye - The fancy ring leader

Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2023
    I think the starters are Circus themed too, but in different ways:

Rowlet is a knifethrower as shown by it's skilled usage of it's arrows

Popplio is the sea performer doing trick for others with the usage of the bubbles. I also think it could be a singer in the mix as it seems to be based off a Siren, but I dunno.

Litten is definitely a strongman. I can totally see it being one. I was going to think it was a tiger that goes through hoops, but it's design tells me otherwise.

Speaking of which, design themes are hard to track for Pokemon considering they never really have a consistent pattern to begin with. The zodiac theme could work, but I dunno.

MKC

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2023
    I like that idea of the Stereotypical Love Triangle, they all certainly fit those archetypes, Deicudeye being the Awkward boy, Incineroar being the Big bad softie and Primarina being the Popular girl.

I kind of thought they were based on showbiz myself, Primarina and Incineroar do fit being a Singer and a Wrestler respectively, wouldn't know how to fit Decidueye in there though, do people ever watch Archery?

Years
  • I think the theme is Hero, Villian & Princess. I mean Decidueye as the great hero, primarina as the princess and the last one as the villian. It sounds logical to me.

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
    Years
  • Mmm I thought the theme was more or less:

Grass: Archer
    Fire: Wrestler
    Water: Opera

So different types of entertainment.

I also enjoy the Don Bluth archetype idea:

Spoiler:

But I doubt that this was the intention haha

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
  • The Z-Moves sort of lock them in;

Siren or Mermaid, as seen by Oceanic Opera being specifically "Oceanic",
    Wrestler, indicated by the distinct appearance of a wrestling ring in Malicious Moonsault,
    and Archer - well it was already pretty obvious - but Sinister Arrow Raid just adds to the concept.

Interestingly enough though - Incineroar's and Decidiueye's are their secondary typing (Dark and Ghost) while Primarina's is Water.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I'll agree with the bard/wrestler/siren ones as that's reflected in their descriptions, appearance and moves.

Another neat thing is that their first stages are seemingly based on endangered animals in Japan and Hawaii (Popplio is more arguable however).

Years
  • As Marcin said, their base stages have an endangered animals theme - Rowlet being based on the Pueo owl, Litten is an Iriomote cat and Popplio is a Hawaiian Monk seal.

Also, Florges is one I agree with - they seem to continue on from the Kalos starters' RPG themes, with Decidueye being the archer, Incineroar being the berserk/brawler and Primarina being the bard.

Palmer-Granate

The Champion Jester
    Years
  • Not bad theories, props to you guys. What I personally think is that it's more of a system of reflecting the Pokemon Contest themes, Decidueye is 'Clever', Inciniroar is 'Tough' or 'Cool', and Primarina is 'Beauty' or 'Cute'. I may also agree w/ endangered species or circus theme, but Pokemon Contest Theme is what pops to mind.

User19sq

Their base forms are based on alchemy, and their corresponding symbols:

-Rowlett's shape and bowtie resemble the alchemy symbol for salt
    -Litten's eyes coupled with the marks on its forehead makes the alchemy symbol for brimstone Binding of Iassc
    -Popplio standing on its tail resembles the alchemy symbol for mercury

The final stages are built from that, and they seem to either embody Alola's tropical climate (jungle, volcano, ocean), or they're supposed to be counterparts to the Gen V starters.

Back