• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen There's a long way up ahead- You want to rest?

Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2013
    Oh my, looks like I will be the first to say that I didn't like them.

While I do admit that they are useful, in all honesty I don't believe anyone that can contest this, I also believe that they are to useful.

I ask that you try to remember back to when you first played the original pokemon Red Blue or Yellow, especially the first time you had to go through Victory Road. You did not know where to go or which way to push those rocks, I admit to having trouble with this. You had to carefully calculate every step and make sure that you had enough items to make it through. In the end though you where rewarded by making it out and being able to challenge the League.

I believe that the presence of the nurses and doctors throughout the game make the feeling of getting through a dungeon less rewarding in comparison to the other games. While they did help once you find them it begins to feel like cheating to me going back to them over and over.

I do apologize if my opinion offended or if you disagree with it but it is how I feel.

Va

PokéPost Editor
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2011
    They're helpful, especially on Twist Mountain. :D

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
  • I love the Doctors and Nurses. They are really helpful and help me save money on healing potions!

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • I found them unrealistic. You can spam-talk to them forever, but surely their medical supplies would diminish? Simply where do they stock the thousands of Full Restores? They don't even have a knapsack on.

I also found they ruined the adventure a little. Made the game too easy - if you're not prepared, you're not prepared. Pack up, Dig out, and Fly to a Pokemon Centre. Come back when you're of level and well-stocked with stuff. To rely on a Nurse or Doctor who's surely in there for whatever reason (do tell me why, other than facilitating the game for no reason) removes some of the epic "Crap, no stuff left, and my Pokemon are almost dead" moments. No fun. No consequences.

They're very helpful for leveling up, but in truth, I'd have preferred having less of them. Especially at Victory Road and Twist Mountain.

Years
  • If you won't think that's it's kinda illogical that they can heal pokemon outta nothing it's very great feature that should've been implemented even in previous generations. =)

Ok sorry I had to say something, You prorfile picture scares me. It liiks like they were caught doing something. Althugh i did like where your signiture said Hacks I support: *blank*

Back on topic I counted 3 doctors/Nurses throughout the game, twist mountan, Victory road, Desert Resort.

Uber Legend

Loves her ubers!
    Years
  • I really like the idea of them, but I rarely used them at all. I'm one of those people who is always prepared and whose pokemon can take multiple battles back to back without necessarily having to be healed after every battle. They can be pretty helpful at times though.

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
    Years
  • Yeah doctors/nurses are pretty helpful in the game, makes you feel comfortable when far away from a pokecentre, if there wern't any, I bet the game would be heaps difficult to breeze through without needing a pokecentre in the middle of a route.

Osha_say_wott?!

osha osha
    Years
  • I love the doctors and nurses, they're really helpful, especially in cave areas. I don't have to spend lots of money stocking up on items, also. I also don't have to worry about getting lost in caves or being too far away an exit/entrance to the nearest Pokémon Center. I can explore the whole place and visit a doctor/nurse to heal my Pokémons to full health. =D

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • There's a long way up ahead- You want to rest?
    There's a long way up ahead- You want to rest?

Something I've noticed so far is that Unova has a lot of NPCs, usually doctors and nurses, who hang out at certain locations and heal your Pokémon. They're found in or near locations where it might be inconvenient to go all the way back to a Pokémon Center -- outside Pinwheel Forest and in Desert Resort, for example. Usually they are Trainers whom you have to battle once, and after that they will always fully restore your Pokémon every time you come back to them.

What do you think about these helpful characters? Do you use them during your journey? Or do you think they make the game too easy?

Personally, I find them incredibly convenient. It's cheaper than stocking up on even more items, and easier than going all the way back to the last Center. I think there are just enough of them, too; they aren't all over the place, but they're in some of the long dungeons and stuff where you could get in some real trouble without a way to keep your Pokémon healthy.

Discuss.

Interesting...so it seems that the Pokemon Center is outsourcing its service or something. XD Go Nurse Joy.

This implementation seems like it makes the game too easy...I mean, first the overworld Poison effect is removed, you get a free Lucky Egg at the start of the game, and now there are even more places to heal your Pokemon! It's like players are getting babied! :x What happened to that tedious, backtracking trek to the Pokemon Center of past games?

I guess these Doctors/Nurses do save trips to the Pokemon Center and expenses on Potions and the like, but managing to brave wild Pokemon with a tired party just to reach a Pokemon Center is part of what made the games a challenge. Also, it's annoying that there just so happens to be one of these medics in Victory Road. If any trip is supposed to be a challenge, it's that one. -_-

And exactly what do you spend your money on, then, if not Medicine and TMs? Just Poke Balls? >_>

Years
  • Many a trip and grinding has been interrupted by frequent trips to the Pokemon Center. Now that I beat the game, they're just OK, but they lifesavers during it.
    Interesting...so it seems that the Pokemon Center is outsourcing its service or something. XD Go Nurse Joy.

This implementation seems like it makes the game too easy...I mean, first the overworld Poison effect is removed, you get a free Lucky Egg at the start of the game, and now there are even more places to heal your Pokemon! It's like players are getting babied! :x What happened to that tedious, backtracking trek to the Pokemon Center of past games?

I guess these Doctors/Nurses do save trips to the Pokemon Center and expenses on Potions and the like, but managing to brave wild Pokemon with a tired party just to reach a Pokemon Center is part of what made the games a challenge. Also, it's annoying that there just so happens to be one of these medics in Victory Road. If any trip is supposed to be a challenge, it's that one. -_-

I'm guessing Game Freak got smart and realized that the "fake difficulty" of having to backtrack to Pokemon Centers was more of a nuisance than an actual challenge. And who's to say that reaching that Doctor or Nurse with an extremely tired party hoping to get that free heal can't be a challenge? It was certainly one of the reasons I kept pushing on instead of backtracking all the way back to the Pokemon Center every time. With the new experience formula in this game and the several amount of trainers in between each city, I'm sure that Black and White isn't "babying" anyone, but simply adding convenience should you choose to use it.

And the medic in Victory Road is near the end anyway. There's no Pokemon Center or healing area immediately before it like in Gens II-IV, so it's still a challenge.
    And exactly what do you spend your money on, then, if not Medicine and TMs? Just Poke Balls? >_>
    Also, Vitamins.

Years
  • I love that they have them scattered around. My first trip in an area tends to end with me healing with items right before finding one of them, but after I know where they are I stop using items so much. Its a wonderful feature as far as I'm concerned.

Molts

Novice Breeder
    Years
  • The ones inside caves I didn't like so much, I really liked how caves were something really hard wandering around forever exploring. You have to be careful as to who your bring with you and have to be very conservative with your items because your just so far out for a long time. The one in victory road particularly bothered me, victory road I remember as a giant doom cave that took ages to navigate because of all the multi-levels and stairs between floors.

The healers outside places, like before pinwheel forest is very very nice though. Allowing me easy grinding spots to level up, and to be out in the world for longer. In this case they were very welcomed.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

Doctors and nurses are so useful. Especially just around area's where you train to replenish HP and PP. Alot of rangers or whatever there called give you berries which is also helpful.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    I loved the addition of Nurses and Doctors. It was like having a Pokémon Center in every route!... and by that, it made training and everything wayyyy easier which definitely isn't a bad thing. :D;

Lateon

The Eon Follower
    Years
  • I loved the doctors and nurses. It made it so much easier to grind when you didn't have to run all the way back to a pokecenter to heal. The only other ones I remember that gave out items were the rangers, which is really the only way to get berries in the game without transferring them from the DW.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I find them useful, and kinda nifty even when they're not. Although I usually have lots of items, the nurse outside Pinwheel Forest is like a god-send with all the poisonous bugs around (Even if Poison had its out-of-battle effect removed now). I also like to heal up with that doctor in Chargestone Cave, then take on the whole of Team Plasma down there with my fully-healed team, healing up again before N (Seems fair, does it not?).

I can understand why some people might complain a little due to them making the game easier, but there are plenty of hard bits in the games too, i.e. Any trainer between Route 11 and Route 16 (including the Sports Domes) Post-E4, N and Ghetsis.

Back