• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"There's nothing to fear, but fear itself."

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    We all have them, even though some of us may not like to admit to them, everyone has some kind of fear in the world. As kids growing up, we're afraid of the dark or monsters under our bed and in our closet. Then, as we grow older we learn to fear other elements depending on personal experiences. Be it fire, rejection that no one will except you because of your sexuality, or even the fear of farting in public...I don't know.

What is your greatest fear? There are fears, and then there are fears so great that we could almost die of fright.

While growing up, what is it that made you develop this fear?

Are you the type to act courageous in front of people and hide any fears you have behind you?

Do you believe that you will ever overcome your fear in the future?

People say, "There is nothing to fear, but fear itself." What does that mean to you personally? Has it ever helped you?

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    What is your greatest fear? There are fear, and then there are fears that are so scary to us, we could almost die of fright.
    The future.

Nothing particular I can specify. The paranoia of what could potentially happen? I grew up with a lot of negativity, to the point where I expected something **** to happen every single day.

Are you the type to act courageous in front of people and hide any fears you have behind you?
    No. In fact, a lot of people I talk to share the same fear, anybody who would mock me over something so trivial is going on my very long blackist. I don't need to hide anything from anybody.

Possibly. If I ever get a consistent positivity in my life, and if I'm in a stable position where I'm not dreading the potential future that awaits me.

People say, "There is nothing to fear, but fear itself." What does that mean to you personally? Has it ever helped you?
    It means nothing at all, such a simple phrase cannot break somebody out of their fears.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    What is your greatest fear? There are fears, and then there are fears so great that we could almost die of fright.
    To be forgotten.

As a kid in elementary school, I made a new best friend every year, only for them to move away at the end of the school year. And I always remembered them fondly, but I was afraid they had forgotten me.

Depends on what's going on.

We all have a chance.

I personally think it's bullhonkey.

Years
    Being alone my whole life.

Idk, I just love being surrounded by my friends and family, so being completely alone would scare me.

Yes.

Yup.

It means nothing to me, because it isn't true in my case.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    What is your greatest fear? There are fears, and then there are fears so great that we could almost die of fright.: I have a great fear of cockroaches.

While growing up, what is it that made you develop this fear?: I don't remember, but I saw a cockroach in the dark when I was small.

Are you the type to act courageous in front of people and hide any fears you have behind you?: No, I'm not that type of person.

Do you believe that you will ever overcome your fear in the future?: I don't think I can get over my fear of cockroaches when I'm older.

People say, "There is nothing to fear, but fear itself." What does that mean to you personally? Has it ever helped you?: It means that fear is just in our minds when we're scared of something. And no, it hasn't helped me.

Gilgαmesh

People. Yes, I'm serious. I'm scared of people of all things.

When I was younger, I used to get constantly bullied a lot. It would never ever stop. I was bullied for pretty much anything you could think of, and that hurt me the most, because I was such a happy person back then, and I trusted people easily. Nowadays, hardly, but I'm working on fixing that. .__.; High School is almost over, so I might as well open myself a bit more before college comes and stuff.

To put things this way: I'm not the courageous type at all. But if the situations warrants me being courageous in front of people, and do what I have to do(like presentations in front of people, and working with them and stuff), then that's stuff that I'll ultimately have to do in the end, and get past my fear of people. I learned recently that not all people in this world are really out to get you. .___. Stuff like that is really hard to learn and to grasp when you have such terrible memories, though...

That depends on what happens in the present and in the future, but I have hopes that I will.

Can't say that it ever has, but I will say this: It's perfectly normal to have fears. There's nothing to fear but fear itself...in the end, I feel like this is saying that you shouldn't really fear anything, that you're a stronger person and that you have the capabilities to get over your fears, but instead, you let your fears take control of you when it's supposed to be vice-versa.

---

Glad I got this out. Fears aren't an easy topic for me to discuss. xDD;

The Red Chain

Being heart broken and being left behind.

Ohhh, many things. Usually continuous mistreatment by people claiming to love me, resulting in perpetual lapses of being lost and feeling worth less...

Not at all. I believe true courage is being able to admit you're afraid.

Honestly, it would take a lot of love, a lot of care, and a lot of patience to help me rid those fears. They are very overpowering at times.. not just for myself, but for the people around me. I've found that despite being scared to lose people I tend to "push" people away who get too close. Funny how that works. xD;

To me it means to stand up to your fears, hold your breath, and walk forward. For the only way to overcome a fear is by facing it dead on and walking over it. It has helped me, many times... but more so with my lesser fears than my greater ones. Like facing that dark tunnel in the ditch that everyone is scared to go through, and bravely trudging forth into it with head held high. Or when I've completely opened myself up to someone and expressed all my inner feelings, no matter how bad.. I was always scared in these types of situations, but I faced those fears and never looked back. Now if only I could find it in me to do that to the bigger fears so that they wouldn't dominate my life so much.

ゼクロム

こんにちは!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2011
    What is your greatest fear? There are fears, and then there are fears so great that we could almost die of fright. I'm terrified of clowns and huge spiders. If I see one, I'll run away until I reach the 5 mile mark away from it.

While growing up, what is it that made you develop this fear? Looking at pictures of it for a long period of time.

Do you believe that you will ever overcome your fear in the future? I hope so. If I don't, well that sucks.

People say, "There is nothing to fear, but fear itself." What does that mean to you personally? Has it ever helped you? This never helped me. :P

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
    Being left behind and alone.

...Hm. Maybe it's that I don't want to be that nobody in the back of the classrooms having no friends and being left behind in everything.

Well, this fear makes me want to have more friends and people to talk to. So... I dunno.

Yes, most likely as I grow more throughout the years and during college and all that.

...What? o.o Fearing fear? Doesn't that just mean fearing what you fear? Idek.

Kamitsure-chan

Massive Cynthia fangirl. :3
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Apr 15, 2011
    Right. So I know I might end up being ridiculed by some because of this, but actually, one of my greatest fears is of men. Like... I think it's partially why I'm lesbian, because I'm so terrified of them that I can't be alone with one unless someone I know is there with me.

Another fear of mine is being forgotten and left alone, but meh.

Child abuse and maltreatment. Let's just keep it at that.

Eh, not really. There are like two guys I've mostly managed to stifle the fear for, but it's still there. A lot of the time I just try and do my best to ignore it.

Maybe. I'm not entirely sure at this point.

I'm not sure what it means to me personally, since I've never really thought about it. It hasn't really helped me much though, since it's pretty much ingrained in my head that all men have the same motive. >.<

Years

Fear of loss, and being alone.

The deaths of three Grandparents, some pets, and moving to a new town afterwards.

Usually, yes. I can mask it effectively.

I really don't think it can totally be overcome per say, because things change. People die. Only thing you can do is accept it and move on.

It basically means that fear only has power when we allow it to. Fear is conquerable only if you realize it comes from within you, and you're the one in control, not your fear.

Last edited:

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Death. What greater fear is there for a man who has vast hopes for the far future?
    Simple, natural thought process and philosophy
    People? What people?
    Nope
    That's what english majors call... I dunno, there's a word for that saying >__> but it's not good and I don't believe in it because fear is always a natural thing to feel.

Backup

Maybe Next Time
    Years
    What is your greatest fear? There are fears, and then there are fears so great that we could almost die of fright.:

My greatest fear is being rejected by the rest of society and being made fun of. Very shallow but I can't help it. :( That and now that I think about it, losing my parents. I know that they are not going to live forever, but I just don't want to grow up and lose them.

While growing up, what is it that made you develop this fear?:

When I got to middle school, I lost all of my friends and felt like I could never fit in, I suppose

For my parents, my mom used to be an alcoholic and would disappear for days at a time. That and they're both heavy smokers. =/ I just don't want to think about it when the two of my parents are going to die.

Are you the type to act courageous in front of people and hide any fears you have behind you? :
    Actually, yes. I try not to let it bother me when I'm conversing with other kids.

That and I have told my parents that I'm scared of them dying. They only responded "oh, that won't be for many more years."

Do you believe that you will ever overcome your fear in the future?:
    Well, it has to. I just need more growing up to do and get some more knowledge and I should be fine. I hope.

For my parents, probably never. I never want to even imagine when one of them dies, but naturally, those days will come. I just have to prepare for it. ;~; But then, who isn't afraid of their parents dying?

People say, "There is nothing to fear, but fear itself." What does that mean to you personally? Has it ever helped you?:

Actually, FDR said it, but I suppose that "people" say it as well. ^^; To me, it means that there is no such thing as fear. Fear is simply an illusion that the human mind tricks itself into.

It actually has helped me. When I'm deathly afraid of doing something, let's say like when my theater group was preforming in front of the school, I just had to suck it up and say "There's nothing to be afraid of."

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
    I honestly don't feel like answering all those question.. but mine's pretty simple.

I fear complete failure.
    And I also somewhat fear what I cant control, such as an unpredictable future outcome.

Kishijoten

CEO of trouble making~
    Years

-The truth, some truth that are extraordinary rather than the simple ones. Those that can cause great changes.

When I realize what truth means.

I don't alway act like this but if I don't have a option then I probably will have to.

The truth varies, so I won't know for sure exactly...

People say, "There is nothing to fear, but fear itself." What does that mean to you personally? Has ever helped you?

Well, to me it mean facing your fear. If you can't face one fear how do you expect to overcome fears that can be devoloped in the future? Once you are capable of facing one fear, it is likly to be easier to confront another fearful challenge. It also mean, to have courage even if people think facing your fear is stupid I say: It's call having courage not being stupid.

Last edited:

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    What is your greatest fear?
    I have no phobias. My fears right now are growing old and death. But right now, mostly the former. :s I also used to be scared of chihuahuas.

Even as a little kid, I never wanted to grow up and now that I'm entering adulthood, I'm kind of sitting here going "uhh, can I get a time freeze or something?" ;_; Do not want to grow old. As for the death thing, that's a self-explanatory one. The chihuahua one though? I needed to think up a fear as a kid and I thought it would be funny to say "those little dog things" or something like that. It stuck and I kind of made myself afraid of them somehow. I don't even know. It took me a few years to get out of that. D:

Yeah, I guess so. I don't mention fears very often and typically if I'm nervous/frightened of something, I try to hide it.

I'll probably get over getting old and find something good that'll come of it. I imagine that's how I'll get over that one. Hope that day comes soon. u_u

I've never really thought about it. It's just a well-known quote to me. :\

Years
    I don't have any phobias really, but my main fear would be fear of failing my friends and family and having nothing for the future.

I don't know. I just want to be able to look after the people I love while I can.

Yes. I don't like to show anyone that I am upset of afraid, I just push through. I don't like anyone to know what I am suffering from.

If I succeed, then yes.

Doesn't really apply, I feel anyway.

Years
    Honestly, right now, it's what lies after death. I also have a crazy phobia of stinging insects: bees, wasps, hornets, ect.

General uncertainty for the former, all the horror stories about people getting stung for the later. Also, I hate being in pain if I can help it, and you can avoid bees most of the time.

Not at all. I run like a sissy if I see a bee. :p Although I don't talk about my religious beliefs about the afterlife/lack of one/what have you. I don't feel like trying to explain my beliefs anymore, because I'm not sure exactly what I believe in the first place.

Probably not. I've been afraid of bees and wasps ever since I was a kid, I don't think anything can change that.

That phrase does nothing for me. It's not going to help me suddenly get over my fears. It's going to take more than that.

Wings of Fire

Dreamin' From the Clouds!
    Years
    Heights.

Heights - Fell from the top of the stairs to the bottom. I think that might be it.

To help others feel braver, and to protect someone like, yea... Otherwise, NUP!

Yes, cuz im already sort of getting over it.

People say, "There is nothing to fear, but fear itself." What does that mean to you personally? Has ever helped you?

It means that you should Overcome Fear. Don't look at it as a GIANT hurdle you have to leap over. Just break it up into Little parts, and tackle each of them one by one.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    What is your greatest fear? Death (other than passing in my sleep).

While growing up, what is it that made you develop this fear? Death.

Are you the type to act courageous in front of people and hide any fears you have behind you? No. If I see a bee coming for me, no way am I going to be standing there just staring at it!

Do you believe that you will ever overcome your fear in the future? I don't know.

People say, "There is nothing to fear, but fear itself." What does that mean to you personally? Has it ever helped you? Hahahahaha! No. That's okay for my little fears here and there, but not my big three.

Back