• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

thethethethe's Scripting Tutorial

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
The problem probably lies in the "Var Number" field in AdvanceMap. Here, read this post. The reason that preexisting scripts tiles work is that they already have values in those fields. Once you fill the fields for your custom script tiles with your own values, they should work as well.

Also, I noticed that you don't set any flag/increment any variable in your script. If you don't, then that script is going to run every single time that the player steps on it. Unless that was your intention (most scripts are only designed to run once), you're going to need to use a 'setvar 0x7000 0x0001' or something like that to prevent it from running more than once.

Years
thanks that helps A LOT :)
and yeah.. i know about flags and all, i just put something simple as an example. Scripting is no problem at all, i just had a problem to test it:)

chriskid198

Happy New Year!
Years
What is the code for the e with the symbol above it?

This one: é

Or can I just put that in the script?

EDIT: Nevermind, it works just with the é.

Last edited:

chriskid198

Happy New Year!
Years
It's mentioned in the first post but it's "\h1B".

And to answer your second question: you can if you're using XSE.
What's XSE? Is that when you like write the scripts in Notepad and save as .rbc?

EDIT: And is this the script that I would use to make a Signpost?
Code:
#org $start
message $1
boxset 6
#raw 0xCA
message $1
boxset 6
#raw 0xCB
message $1
boxset 6
release
end

#org $1
$1 1 =Test.

Last edited:

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
XSE is an alternative script editor which is arguably better than Pokescript because the latter is quite outdated and prone to causing bugs. You can find a download link for XSE over at HackMew's Tool Factory. And if you want to switch to XSE, something that I highly recommend, you should read this tutorial which is basically an XSE port of this very tutorial.

chriskid198

Happy New Year!
Years
XSE is an alternative script editor which is arguably better than Pokescript because the latter is quite outdated and prone to causing bugs. You can find a download link for XSE over at HackMew's Tool Factory. And if you want to switch to XSE, something that I highly recommend, you should read this tutorial which is basically an XSE port of this very tutorial.
Is this Tutorial for XSE?

EDIT: I don't like XSE. I prefer PokeScript.
And this was all I needed to do for the signpost.

Code:
#org $start
message $1
$1 1 = Pinewood Town.\nWhere journeys begin!
#raw 0xCA
boxset 6
end

Last edited:

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years

I don't want to seem rude but if you have to ask what scripting program this tutorial is for, you clearly didn't read it.

I didn't like XSE when I started out, too. You'll warm up to it eventually. In the mean time, have fun with all your bugs and missing commands.

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years

And this was all I needed to do for the signpost.

Code:
#org $start
message $1
$1 1 = Pinewood Town.\nWhere journeys begin!
#raw 0xCA
boxset 6
end

There is a script editor in it's early stages called advanced script, which supports both pokescript and xse format. I'd switch to it if I wanted, but XSE is more efficient for the time being. :)

chriskid198

Happy New Year!
Years
I don't want to seem rude but if you have to ask what scripting program this tutorial is for, you clearly didn't read it.

I didn't like XSE when I started out, too. You'll warm up to it eventually. In the mean time, have fun with all your bugs and missing commands.
I'll try and use it...

There is a script editor in it's early stages called advanced script, which supports both pokescript and xse format. I'd switch to it if I wanted, but XSE is more efficient for the time being. :)
Okay, thanks... I guess if I use XSE, I can use this Tutorial.

EDIT: How do I insert the script? I can't find it on the first pages...

EDIT 2: When making a flag, can you put any flag number? And why does this one have a -? 1000-109F

EDIT 3: When making a script, when you like walk into a room, and the person, turns and has a "!" above there head, how do you do it, so it only happens once? Do you need flags?

Please help. I'm not understanding the "Editing the Database" bit.

EDIT: And I think you forgot something, a healing script.

Is this Pokescript? What this tutorial is actually for?

2zjj213.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

i make updates

Advanced Adventures Supporter
Years
  • Seen May 2, 2018
nice tut it helpe me edit my marts and some of my signs im using it for all my scripting

Years
  • Seen Jun 15, 2012
Oh really? Thanks alot! :)I'll try it out

[Another problem]
I took Totodile's number, 158 and converted it to hex, 9E. So i wanted to display the pokepic of Totodile, i wrote the script like this
#raw 0x75 0x9E 0x00 0x0A 0x03
But Totodile got displayed with its sprite mostly black coloured, instead of its original color.
Is there a problem with my script or does the problem lies on the game/sprite itself?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2010
Erm, in Ruby and Sapphire how do you enable the National Dex? There isn't a special/flag like there is for the others, because in the game you get it by trading with FR/LG/Emerald.

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
you're right there isn't a flag for that, but the game has a built in "ACTIVATE NaTIOnal DEX" system, so i guess you'll have to trade to get it... or try making an in-game trade with a pokemon not in the ruby sapphire dex.... that should work... if not then you have some serious hex editting to do................

MysticFlames

~Fedoras~
Years
I really want to drop by and just say thanks. The tutorial is really extensive and has been a huuuuge help with learning. I'm still constantly checking it while scripting, as well.

So yeah, thanks. =]

Back