• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen They need to change Japanese characters to english

JP

wut?
Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    Ya know, this is never something I thought about before since I've been playing since Gen 1 and know pretty much every single Pokemon there is. If the game says: "Player sent out ボスゴドラ" I know that that's an Aggron. I can't read Japaense/Chinese/Korean characters at all, but I can still ID the Pokemon by sight.

I guess it is kind of a problem if you've never seen the Pokemon before, but isn't that a part of the fun? Facing a new Pokemon and trying to figure out what it is? At least its fun for me when you don't know what the hell my Gastrodon is and try to zap it or hit it with water. XD Personally I like the names being displayed in different lanaguages.

Totally agree. Pretty much the same, don't have a problem identifying them since I've kept in touch with each generation enough. Mystery should be part of the fun if you're unfamiliar with a Pokemon. Chances are too, you should probably get to be a bit more familiarized with the Pokemon from each gen before going online and trying to battle people, in my opinion at least.

Years
  • I approve of multi-lingual Pokémon. I enjoy receiving foreign Pokémon from GTS and Wonder Trade, and battling people from other countries online. This is a big, varied world, and as the saying goes: "variety is the spice of life". So it really depresses me when I see people on GTS explicitly asking for Pokémon with names in their local language. Down with xenophobia!

As for this topic, how about simply an in-game means of looking up the Pokémon's local name while it still keeps its foreign/given name. Because what was the point of nicknaming my Pokémon if they're just going to have their names reverted anyway? Purpose defeated!

Elements1

Meh
    Years
  • This problem can just be solved if we can nickname pokemon that are traded. Then you can either chose to keep the name or nickname it to english.

Lil MuDkiP849

Dream Chaser
    Years
    • Age 33
    • NY
    • Seen Aug 12, 2021
    I actually like the japanese characters on some of the pokes I own. Adds a little diversity to my boxes, like knowing certain pokes came from different countries than my own.

I also agree we should be able to nickname traded pokemon, It's always been quite an annoyance ever since that "Marcel" or whatever it's named Mr. Mime from 1st gen.

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • Is this really an issue? If you get traded a Pokemon you've never seen before, open up your Pokedex and take a look for it. Even if it's the only copy of the Pokemon you have, you'll still get the dex entry of whatever language your game is set to along with the foreign one. There you go. Problem solved.

I can't believe people are being spoonfed a tiny, tiny bit of culture and are complaining about it. I have a Korean Gogoat. I have no idea how to pronounce its Korean name. Do you know what I call it? What I refer to it by? "Gogoat".

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Is this really an issue? If you get traded a Pokemon you've never seen before, open up your Pokedex and take a look for it. Even if it's the only copy of the Pokemon you have, you'll still get the dex entry of whatever language your game is set to along with the foreign one. There you go. Problem solved.

I can't believe people are being spoonfed a tiny, tiny bit of culture and are complaining about it. I have a Korean Gogoat. I have no idea how to pronounce its Korean name. Do you know what I call it? What I refer to it by? "Gogoat".

I think the issue is more that if you've never, ever seen the Pokemon before and can't understand its name, you have no idea what it is, which may or may not be a problem in battle when you can't open up your 'dex (and if you can't type the name out, you can't do an internet search for it either).

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
    Years
  • That's what the original poster said in the very first post:

I'm pretty sure that goes against the whole "can't change the name of a traded Pokemon" system in-game. It's there to retain the original trainer's expression and love for his Pokemon, as cheesy as that sounds.

I personally like having differently-named Pokemon, even if it's Japanese. I don't battle online and can see how it might be frustrating, but overall I prefer the current system to something static and unappealing as changing Korean/Chinese/Japanese character into latin letters.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • The whole issue seems irrelevant considering that the pokémon's summary screen will list both their nickname and their species name...and in battle scenarios, you've got the whole team preview thing to know what the opponent has.

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2014
    I've noticed that on youtube, sometimes, if not often, it skips over the battle scenario of the team preview...!

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I personally love having foreign Pokemon names, and I'd actually like it better if they kept their foreign names upon evolution. It sucks to get an awesome French Pokemon and then I can't evolve it because it will lose its name, and I won't be able to rename it either.

I'm just a trader and collector though, not a battler. So I imagine that can be confusing for battling. But for the sake of trading and getting to keep the Pokemon, I want to have foreign names.

Rewy

untitled follower
    Years
  • I agree and prefer to keep my pokemon with different language names. At least then I can tell apart which I've received from trades and which I've caught/bred myself.
    I'm more likely to dismiss and release a pokemon with no nickname or just the regular english name.
    I'm just a collector and a just a fan, but I still reset my pokemon game to different languages, just to see how different it is. Then I actually have to think about what is on the screen rather than side-eye it while watching tv or just being online.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I'm sorry, are you serious? I really, REALLY don't know how the original poster could possibly have said it any more clearly. Are you saying us English speakers have exactly the same problem with "Scoppel" and "파르빗" ?? Cause if you are, I get the feeling you're being deliberately obstinate. (My sincere apologies if you're not.) If I get a bunnelby with the name "Scoppel" I am able to sound out what the letters say, (Scaw+pel = Scoppel. Even if that's not the correct pronunciation, I can still get A pronunciation out of it. The Korean letters, NO CLUE whatsoever. I have no concept what those symbols mean, what they sound like and so on. And if you're suggesting all the sole english speakers learn Korean and Japanese just so we can read the pokemon names, that's ridiculous. It's much easier for the translators to change the transfer process to include the ability to change the nickname of pokemon that contain characters that aren't native to the target game it is being sent to. After all, as someone pointed out, they ALREADY do it with pokemon that evolve, so why not one step further and start the process during trade? Old pokemon from older games with offensive nicknames or offensive trainer names that didn't have the same word filter current games have now change those nicknames and trainer names, so why not with foreign language characters not from the same region?
    How does being able to pronounce Scoppel give you any more indication that the Pokemon is a Bunnelby than 파르빗?

εcho.

The silver ninetales
    Years
  • I'm guessing the OP was referring more to pokemon they are battling against in online battles than pokemon that are traded to them.

I remember having a bit of an issue when I started fighting BattleSpot battles, because having not played much of generations 4 and 5, there were a number of pokemon I came up against that I was unfamiliar with. If their names were in Japanese or Korean, I wouldn't be able to search the name up in google to find out its types/weaknesses/possible moves (special or physical, attacking or defensive, that sort of stuff). German/French/Spanish names weren't an issue because I could just type them into google, add "Pokemon" to it and presto! I'd get the Serebii page about it. Easy peasy.

For the most part, I just struggled through it and would sometimes type out a description of the pokemon to try to find out about it (ie, yellow spider pokemon, or something like that).

So I understand to a certain point where the OP is coming from. If on battlespot, names were automatically translated to whatever language you were using, it might be easier (ie, if your game is set to Japanese, your opponents pokemon show their Japanese names, if yours is French, they show French, etc.). Similar to how your pokemon's nicknames don't show up in BattleSpot.

But, really, in the end I don't think it's too big a deal. It just gives all the more reason to go through the pokedex and make yourself familiar with all the Pokemon that are out there.

Back