• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"They're not Cartoons!" Do you hate it people mistake Anime for Cartoons?

Angry at Ignorance?

• Yes

Votes: 50 34.2%
  • No

Votes: 27 18.5%
  • Wut? They're Cartoons.

Votes: 69 47.3%

• Total voters

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    Nope not really. They're just made out of paper drawings. It's the same really except the eyes.

It's not only the eyes D:
    The hair, face, mouth, body almost everything is different..or am I wrong?
    Anime are just at a higher level of maturity from cartoons.

Aureol

Kanto/Electric-Type Enthusiast
    Years

I feel so ignored

:C

also:

An animated cartoon is a short, hand-drawn (or made with computers to look similar to something hand-drawn) film for the cinema, television or computer screen, featuring some kind of story or plot (even if it is a very short one)

but what do I know? imjust a kid on the internet

EDIT: Alright, did a little definition digging again... I was arguing based off the definition of "cartoon." Turns out the word "cartoon" changes when the word "animated" is tacked to the front in some dictionaries, while others say not. So while I will still not call them "cartoons" or even "animated cartoons" (due to the disagreement there is on the definition of that phrase), I will not correct people that use the latter. Besides, calling them cartoons implies that anime is something silly for children, which is hardly the case.

Nowadays though, language is more about what's being implied than what the strict definition is. "Suck" is used to suggest something negative, regardless of the fact that the act of sucking is rarely even involved. Same with cartoons: many people affiliate cartoons with childishness which, although incorrect, causes a lot of negative thought on anime. This statement is irrelevant in whether anime=cartoon or not, since it's already decided now that anime may be defined as animated cartoon, depending on the dictionary you use, but I am just explaining why I don't want anime referred to as cartoons.

Even after all this though, the similarity between anime and what we all "cartoons" will always be in my opinion about the same as artistic drawings and your Sunday comics.

tl;dr: anime is never correctly referred to as cartoon, it may be referred to as animated cartoon depending on which dictionary you use, but I won't ever refer it to as either one because of the negative stereotypes associated with the word "cartoon."

Last edited:

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
    You know, I don't think that the majority of posters in this thread talking about "cartoons" in the sense of the Western Animation are thinking about Disney Films when they talk about it.
    There's no doubt that the drawing style of (the classic) Disney (movies) is beautiful and the stories are for everyone at any age to enjoy. =/

Aureol

Years
    Your ignorance fills me WITH RAGE OF THE BROOKLYN VARIETY! D:<

Someone needs to watch a Disney film.

They're referring to the common use of cartoon. I don't typically call Disney movies "cartoons," I usually call them animated movies. When most people say "cartoon," they are referring to the kind that are more like Saturday morning cartoons, which is why so many people are against the idea of labeling anime as cartoons: that's an insult to the art that the more mature anime can be (and the beauty found in many Disney movies). Although, even with Disney movies, they are beautiful, but they tend to be more child-oriented, which is another separative factor in the whole "anime-cartoon" idea. All ages can (and do) enjoy Disney movies, but they were designed for children. I'm not putting down Disney movies; I'm just listing another difference between Disney movies and anime.

Years
    To answer the OP's question, yes, I find it annoying when people call anime childish. Frankly, doesn't that apply to everything else relevant to one's interests as well?

Also, to those using the whole "maturity" argument, I don't see how anime is more mature than "cartoons" half the time. In my view, it's just replacing potty humor and slapstick with sexual innuendo and awkward situations. Is that really any better?

A Pixy

Cruel?
    Years

Aureol

Years

You're continued ignorance
    is STILL filling me with RAGE OF THE BROOKLYN VARIETY! D:<

By your logic, labelling Justice League as a cartoon would be an insult to it. That show was one of the fondest memories from my childhood, calling it a cartoon wouldn't lessen it AT ALL.

For some things, being labeled a cartoon isn't an insult, for others it is. I love Spongebob Squarepants (well, the episodes before the movie, at any rate), and that is something I would call a cartoon. I'm 19 years old, and I'm still not afraid to call it that and admit I like it.

Well, maybe it's better to put it this way. I love the "Get Fuzzy" comic strip. It makes me laugh every Sunday. But I would not call it "art" on the same level I would call a carefully-drawn, inspired piece by an accomplished artist. That's just the way it is. For something like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, it's okay to call it a cartoon. For something like Dragonball Z, I might call that a cartoon, depending on when you asked me. Heck, for many anime I would be fine referring to them as cartoons. For something like "5 Centimeters Per Second," I would not call that a cartoon, because that would degrade the beauty of the piece of art I consider it to be. Same with some Disney movies: I wouldn't really call Snow White a cartoon either.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's not insulting to call something a cartoon in of itself, but it is insulting to call something highly artistic simply a cartoon as well.

By the way, I'm a bit confused as to why you linked all those shows. What are you trying to say there? Also, I'd rather not be called "ignorant." Misunderstanding, maybe, but refrain from insults :D

Last edited:

A Pixy

Cruel?
    Years
    Well, maybe it's better to put it this way. I love the "Get Fuzzy" comic strip. It makes me laugh every Sunday. But I would not call it "art" on the same level I would call a carefully-drawn, inspired piece by an accomplished artist. That's just the way it is.

[JQ]Anything can be art. Even a can of Campbell's soup.

-Roger Ebert, Professional Film Critic[/JQ]

I'm not denying that anime is art, it can be, but you seem to think that just because a cartoon is made in America, it is automatically inferior. And I cannot stand that.

Oh, and saying the Tracer Bullet segments in Calvin & Hobbes isn't art is just wrong. Not that the rest of it isn't, those parts are just extra, crunchy awesome.

For something like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, it's okay to call it a cartoon. For something like Dragonball Z, I might call that a cartoon, depending on when you asked me. Heck, for many anime I would be fine referring to them as cartoons. For something like "5 Centimeters Per Second," I would not call that a cartoon, because that would degrade the beauty of the piece of art I consider it to be. Same with some Disney movies: I wouldn't really call Snow White a cartoon either.

Let me get this straight:

Cartoon: Childish, lowly animation. The poor man's excuse for anime.
    Anime: GODLY ANIMATION OF THE HIGHEST CALIBER! THE ANIMATION OF THE KINGS!

WHEN did cartoon become an insult? When did this happen? I understand you saying art is a complement, it is, but cartoon is not an insult. Art and Cartoon are not antonyms, if anything they're synonymous to most people. The way you're saying it you consider anime to be some godly, elitest term which is much higher than those lowly, cartoon commoners.

And even stranger, it's like you realized this and are trying to give me ammo.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's not insulting to call something a cartoon in of itself, but it is insulting to call something highly artistic simply a cartoon as well.

WHY? Why is it like that? Just because it's American means it's automatically inferior? Batman: The Animated Series is a cartoon, if I said that to a fan of the show, he/she would not snap at me saying that that would be an insult. It's what it is by definition. Me calling Snow White, Alladin, Alice in Wonderland, Pinocchio or any other Disney animated movie isn't art would be an insult (there are exceptions though), saying they're cartoons wouldn't be an insult. But anime can be art, totally. I consider every Ghibli film to be art, but at the end of the day, it's still a cartoon. That doesn't degrade it in the LEAST.

Aureol

Years
    HOLY LONG POST!

Spoiler:

Neurotripsy

前向きロケット団!
    Years
    I'm not bothered if it's someone who's not interested in it. They probably won't change their mind so it's not worth arguing about.

It does bother me if someone watches anime regularly & still calls it a "cartoon", though.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jan 22, 2013
    I don't get that irritated. Normally I would just say "It's not called a cartoon, by the way, it's called an anime." Even less so if they don't watch anime often, as Neurotripsy said earlier.

Really, I get more irritated when people think that Japan is just anime. |: Or when people post comments like "which anime is this from???" or "THIS SONG SHOULD BECOME AN ANIME" on Vocaloid songs. Oh god those get annoying. It's not like you can just make a song into an anime.

Nyu~♥!

Pokémon Opal Producer
    Years
    I almost feel the need to ask the ridiculous question "Have you ever watched an anime?" because a lot of anime are drawn a lot worse than western cartoons. The fact is that most animation studios in Japan don't actually do their animation in house anymore, they tend to outsource to low quality dime-a-dozen studios in Korea. Animation quality isn't totally determined by how the characters themselves are drawn, but if you want to look at that factor, anime tends to stifle styles pretty often because their basic human form models are so off, the ridiculous nose shadow thing everyone loves to do, and the the eyes that generally don't portray lightning realistically, there's even been a strong outcry in the Japanese animation industry lately because animators are doing lower quality work there than ever before. You can like anime all you want, but most anime styles these days are just caricatures what was a once unique style, which I suppose can be said of certain styles in western stuff, but a single style is not representative of an entire medium in one corner of the world. There are great looking anime out there, but they're outnumbered by the poor quality productions that are more rampant than ever.

See this just isn't a proper argument because you're only using certain types of cartoons as examples here. The fact is that there are plenty of cartoons with long story arcs that cross over various episodes and seasons, there are just more in Japan because Japan produces about 8 anime for every 1 western cartoon. It also looks like you're just comparing comedy and slapstick stuff to grimdark anime, which isn't a sound argument. You can't say something like Avatar: the Last Airbender and Gargoyles subscribe to the same laws of physics and reality as Looney Tunes and old Disney short.

And a bit of a history lesson, everything is anime to the Japanese if it's animated, so this distinction that western fans tend to make sound really weird to a lot of them. It's a term that only came into mass usage around the 1970s because the Japanese media loves to abbreviate everything, anime is simply short for animation, same as cm is short for commercial, same as ma-ka is short for manga-ka, same as VK is short for visual kei.

getting carried away? I think this thread was supposed to be a yes or no question, not "anime is worse than western cartoons and I'll prove it".
    That's the problem with PC. "I'll prove you wrong!" D: It's great you are trying to prove your point, but you just wrote 3 paragraphs on something that the thread isn't directly related to. :/ I hope I'm not a bother.

Anyway, I seriously think that Anime isa type of cartoon. So I really don't care.. but of course cartoons seem to be percieved as a child's show - however, cartoons like The Simpsons, are not for kids.. but you see, it's still a cartoon.. Wait a second, let's look at the definition from dictionary.com...

–noun1.a sketch or drawing, usually humorous, as in a newspaper or periodical, symbolizing, satirizing, or caricaturing some action, subject, or person of popular interest.

2.comic strip.

3.animated cartoon.

4.Fine Arts. a full-scale design for a picture, ornamental motif or pattern, or the like, to be transferred to a fresco, tapestry, etc.

Yup, Anime is a cartoon. It's a Fine Art that's animated.
    And I've never heard anyone say that "Anime is a cartoon", anyway XD I just hate it when people say that Manga is pronounced MAIN-GUH... It's M-AHN-GA. Once again, from dictionary.com..
    man·ga

/ˈmɑŋ
    "They're not Cartoons!" Do you hate it people mistake Anime for Cartoons?
    gə, ˈmæŋ‐/ "They're not Cartoons!" Do you hate it people mistake Anime for Cartoons? Show Spelled[mahng-guh, mang‐]

I told you! XD

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    This is for people who say that Japanese cartoons are art:

I think that Japanese cartoons used to be artistic but nowadays a lot of Japanese cartoon writers just do whatever their fans want them to do. They write stuff just to keep their fans happy, rather than following their own artistic vision. Because of that, you can't really call them artists, and so anime is not art.

American cartoon writers follow their vision, and so that makes them artists. So American cartoons are art.

You see?

ReyRey-Pyon

THREAD KILLER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Feb 6, 2015
    lol not really o3o

just like there is tons of anime with similar plots (Boy wants to be the very best, Guy suddenly gets huge harem, Girl team saves world with fancy stock footage etcetera)

Western animation is mostly comedy or action, because they know whats whats sucessful round these parts, so other companies decide to copy the idea. which is why alot of popular adult animation is like the Simpsons and southpark

they're both just as bad o3o
    so yeah

Nyu~♥!

Pokémon Opal Producer
    Years
    This is for people who say that Japanese cartoons are art:

I think that Japanese cartoons used to be artistic but nowadays a lot of Japanese cartoon writers just do whatever their fans want them to do. They write stuff just to keep their fans happy, rather than following their own artistic vision. Because of that, you can't really call them artists, and so anime is not art.

American cartoon writers follow their vision, and so that makes them artists. So American cartoons are art.

You see?

not all of them do that. :/
    in fact, alot of manga artists tend to talk about how they were inspired to draw their manga.
    I don't think it's really possible to say "all anime is not art".. And besides, sometime you have to listen to what others say to improve while combining it with your own thoughts.
    It's art even if it uses the smallest bit of creativity. I highly doubt that any good artist out there uses only what their fans say.
    Either way, anime is still a cartoon, anyway.

ehh i wouldn't say that
    I think it goes for both. :/

because of Follow the leader
    Western animation is mostly comedy or action, because they know whats whats sucessful round these parts, so other companies decide to copy the idea. which is why alot of popular adult animation is like the Simpsons and southpark

so yeah o3o;

Amen to you, madam. Amen.

I'm not going to continue this argument..

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
    It remembers me of my mom ... :

"Will you watch that Pokemon Cartoon ?"
    "When does that Cartoon from Animax start (our anime channel) ?"
    "How many cartoons did you watch today ?"

And I always correct her ... :( But I don't think she'll ever change ...

Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2011
    I personally don't mind it very much if somebody calls an Anime a Cartoon. In fact, Anime series simpily are Japanese Cartoons. The only difference is that Anime series can sometimes contain mature themes, such as violence and erotic scenes.

Either way though, I just call Cartoons "Cartoons", and Anime "Anime". :P

Back