• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"They're not Cartoons!" Do you hate it people mistake Anime for Cartoons?

Angry at Ignorance?

• Yes

Votes: 50 34.2%
  • No

Votes: 27 18.5%
  • Wut? They're Cartoons.

Votes: 69 47.3%

• Total voters

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
Years
  • I don't hate it when people mistake anime for cartoons, I hate it when people say that anime is better than cartoons, and that's the entirety of the anitards

Lucariotoes

Ah-woo.
    Years
  • Technically, anime is indeed a type of cartoon, but I'm overall not very iffy about it. I am a little more annoyed if, say, people mistake Chinese things for being Japanese and vise-versa, but overall I'd say that I'm not really bothered by people considering anime as a cartoon.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • Anime == Cartoon

However, while this is indeed true. I always refer to Japanese 'Cartoons' as Anime. Keeps things from being mixed up

I love anime. I love how the Japanese don't have as much of a taboo on certain things. *coughfanservicecough*
    That being said, sometimes, good old American 'toons are really awesome. Yeah, there may be much more 'immature humor' in them, but they're still good. If you don't have any inner child left, the fun of the American 'toons tends to be lost. You gotta retain some of that inner child.

Anime on the other hand, really grows up with you. From being cool when you're a kid to being 'LMAO' funny as an adult because of all the awesome mature themes that the Japanese are less afraid to show to their children, anime is great. :P

I don't see a reason for getting angry at people who call Anime a Cartoon. If they stupidly belive that all animated shows are childish, then they're missing out. Ignorance isn't a crime really, though it can be annoying if they won't learn. It really takes a REALLY annoying person to get me fired up over something this minor. XD

Sudeki

Can you feel it?
    Years
  • Eh not really into joing an agruement, but I really only get semi-annoyed when people claim that there "Kids shows".
    Anime to me is more about an actual story, and the relationships between characters and such.
    Cartoons are more of "Comedy type things" with no real story/time line and such, where previous episodes don't really inflounce the story or show.
    (Yes I know there is Comedy styled Anime, But most of the time they still have a story to it.)
    I tend to like Anime more,(And mostly Japanese Anime) generally because there more relaxed about what they show in them, and the culture is more accepting, unlike most american styled things/rules where there is alot of "Taboo" like things.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Cartoons are more of "Comedy type things" with no real story/time line and such, where previous episodes don't really inflounce the story or show.
    You really could not be more wrong. :/ A lot of stories in anime are paper thin and colored with verbose speech to make them seem more important than they are.

TheGearofWar

RAAM Assassin
    Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2010
    Animation is animation is animation, I don't think the country of origin should really change that. Yes, more "animé" are comparable to U.S.'s, say, "CSI" show in terms of seriousness sometimes, but for the most part I see them as cartoons. Not like Nickelodeon cartoons, but still animated.

Sudeki

Can you feel it?
    Years
  • You really could not be more wrong. :/ A lot of stories in anime are paper thin and colored with verbose speech to make them seem more important than they are.
    Everyone has there own Opinions, and it all depends on what you watch, As I said in my post I'm not here for arguements :P.

Great Mazinger

nope.avi
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2013
    You really could not be more wrong. :/ A lot of stories in anime are paper thin and colored with verbose speech to make them seem more important than they are.

It's all about the 20 minute toy commercial. And the OP/ED song singles. And the character singles. And the figurines. And the DVDs. And whatever else they're trying to sell.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • They are cartoons, sorry. :\

An animated film/series/short is a cartoon whether it is produced in Japan or in the US.

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I'd have to say I agree with the notion that Anime happens to be a form of Cartoon, so there's really no way of 'mistaking' it.
    Elfen Lied happens to be a cartoon as well- you just have to decide whether you're looking at the word "Cartoon" in a modern sense or in a more traditional sense.

Rather, I'd say I get irritated when people imply that anime is similar to American children's cartoons, like the ones you see on Cartoon Network- but honestly, some people are just ignorant like that.

Better they act like they don't know anything when they don't, rather than act like they know when they don't y'know?

Hantsuki

a little wolf inside a girl
    Years
  • Not really since it's not usually the person's fault for not knowing the difference. If they were saying that purposefully to annoy you, then I would be bothered. It's kind of the same concept as how some people pronounce anime and manga incorrectly. Again, unless you're learning the language, it's not your fault if you pronounce it incorrectly unless someone tells you.

It does bother me, however, when my dad refers to the American cartoons as anime because he's either too lazy to say animation or he's tired of calling them cartoons. Now that I think about it, it's kind of weird how that works.

Crystal Clair

Shinji lover
    Years
  • I have it straight in my head. And before I post my thoughts, I will say that it makes me rage when they call anime "cartoons". Oh and when I talk about anime with someone who doesn't know the term, I refer to it as "Japanese animation".

It seems be be a standard on the internet that American animation is cartoons and Japanese animation is anime. Well, I think that sounds a bit ... off. My thing is that I will call something like Crayon Shin Chan a Japanese cartoon because it looks like a cartoon and it's from Japan, while I'll call something like Avatar an anime or an American anime because it has a realistic feel to it.

I wish it would be like that universal. But until people use that method, I'm just going to have to tolerate it.

Nanaboo

left my heart on thedancefloor
    Years
    • Seen Jun 27, 2012
    Nah, I don't really get mad. If I'm talking about anime and somebody says, "what's anime?" I usually say they are Japanese cartoons, because technically they are.

But it does kind of annoy me when people say they're for kids. In Japan, anime is intended for people of all ages.

vibratingcat

new username, razzbat
    Years
  • yes, even if i know they are. cartoon is such an ugly word.
    i hate it when my mum uses it, coz she's japanese and should know better.

Back