• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Things that never made sense in Pokemon

Trainer 781

Why do the magnemite and beldum evolutionary lines get severely damaged by earthquake when they levitate in the anime?

Why do flying pokemon do not get damage by bone rush or bonemerang in the game a skilled Marowak or Lucario should be able to strike them.

Why muddy water is mono water type not dual ground water?

How can brock's happiny lift huge things with a 5 base attack?

How a big and bulky camel like Camperupt is as frail as Lucario.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2023
    How come dodou can learn fly but butterfree can't!!!

AND WHY IS IT THAT ASHS PIKACHU CAN WRECK ANYTHING BUT IN THE POKEMON GAME PIKACHU CANT KILL A FLY

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2023
    Yes, it upsets me that Pikachu is useless in game. So weak. And then the rare times you watch the anime you see ash's pikachu destroying everthing. It makes me feel much worst about Pikachu in game. This can be slightly fixed with light ball where it increase Attack and Sp. Attack. However it doesn't work neither on Pichu nor Raichu much to it's disgrace.

Probably a moderator will merge both of your posts into one. Try avoiding double posts. The moderators don't like it.

Alright thanks ill try to do only one post next time :)

Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2023
    Good. I always say that ash's Pikachu is a lie.

You can post a second post like this when someone has responded to your previous post or has made an independant post after your post or you can always edit your previous post. Thanks for your understanding! :)

I still say that Ash's Pikachu is a lie though. :/

Ya i know like on all of the old tv shows his pikachu like was indistrucable and could do anything haha :p but still there is something "special" about ash's pikachu :p

Tlachtli

Crit happens.
    Years
    Azurill - Sex ratio: 25% male, 75% female
    Marill - Sex ratio: 50% male, 50% female

Do I need to explain?

Something something, African tree frogs... something something, "life will find a way." That's how they do it.

Things that never made sense in Pokemon

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Azurill - Sex ratio: 25% male, 75% female
    Marill - Sex ratio: 50% male, 50% female

Do I need to explain?
    Haha, well, you know that Marill can be found in the wild and can be born without ever having been an Azurill? The sex ratio of wild born Marill is 50/50, while the ratio of pokémon born as Azurill is 25/75, I suppose. They don't change their sex when they evolve, just to fit into the statistics. Like. No.

Last edited:

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
    HMs don't make much sense at all.

-Why can't you walk past a small, waist-high shrub? Why do you have to cut it down? And why does it grow back when you walk out of sight of it? And for that matter, why do you have to use the move Cut to cut it down? My Aegislash is a huge steel sword. Couldn't it just cut the little bush down? And what about my Typhlosion? Couldn't it just burn the bush down? And wait, I have a Pidgeot! Couldn't I just get on it and fly over the bush?

-Why can't you climb over a boulder that isn't even as tall as you are? Why do you have to break it? How does it regenerate after you smash it and walk away? Is there a Golem living in the cave that places boulders in the same spots over and over again when one is smashed?

-Why do you have to move other boulders? Couldn't you just smash these as well? Wait, these aren't that big either! Couldn't I just climb over them? And how do they move back to their original placement when I leave the cave? Does Mew appear and teleport the boulders back to their original locations? Why do I need Strength? Why can't I just tell my Machamp to push the boulders? He's strong enough, his Pokedex entry says he can move a mountain! Are these boulders made of some unearthly super-heavy substance that can only be moved with a specific move?

-Are flashlights really so expensive that I can't just buy one for when I go through Rock Tunnel? Why does my Pokemon have to light up the dim area? Why can my Oddish learn Flash? It's a little weed, it's not bioluminescent at all! Wait, it's called Flash, so does that mean it's just one flash of light? But that wouldn't light the cave up for more than a second! So is it a series of flashes? But what if I have epilepsy? Do I have a seizure as I walk through the cave? Apparently it's a common enough problem, it got a Pokemon episode cancelled! And why do I have to learn Flash? I've got a Chandelure, doesn't that emit light? Can't I just let that out of it's Poke Ball?

-Why can't I fly to an area I haven't been to yet? Does my Pidgey refuse to land anywhere it's never been? And don't say yes, because I can just catch a new Pidgey and have it fly somewhere I've been, but it's never been! And... wait, what? Pidgey? But that thing doesn't even go up to my knee! How can it carry me? And how is that safe? Where do I sit on my Pidgey? Do I hold on to it's legs? What if I slip off? What if my Pidgey gets tired from carrying a human being 6 times as large and over 35 times as heavy and comes crashing to the ground?

-Wait, I can't swim? Can't I learn to swim? No? Okay, what Pokemon can surf me around? Okay, let's see, Lapras, Wailord, seems fine, wait a minute, Sentret? Tyranitar? Aggron? First of all, Sentret is nowhere near the size of a human, and definitely not as strong. Is it buoyant? Do I hold it like a life ring? And Tyranitar? But that thing is weak to Water-type attacks! How could it take a whole sea of water? Wouldn't it be downed in a few seconds? And Aggron? Aggron can't take one Water-type attack without being KO'd! Plus, it's made of metal! Wouldn't it rust out?

Last edited:
    Years
    Haha, well, you know that Marill can be found in the wild and can be born without ever having been an Azurill? The sex ratio of wild born Marill is 50/50, while the ratio of pokémon born as Azurill is 25/75, I suppose. They don't change their sex when they evolve, just to fit into the statistics. Like. No.
    Unless I'm misunderstanding you, I've had a female Azurill evolve into a male Marill back on Emerald, so it definitely does happen on occasion (as weird as it may seem).

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Mind. Blown. Tbh. Gamefreak, just what were you thinking there? xD Now I want this to be depicted in the anime. Azurill girl -> Marill boy.

dirkac

scarfmaster asterisk
    Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2023
    Unless I'm misunderstanding you, I've had a female Azurill evolve into a male Marill back on Emerald, so it definitely does happen on occasion (as weird as it may seem).

Mind. Blown. Tbh. Gamefreak, just what were you thinking there? xD Now I want this to be depicted in the anime. Azurill girl -> Marill boy.

Tis only happened in Gen III, IV, and V.

In Gen VI they no longer change Genders, as Azurill and Marill have specialized coding now that prevents gender-bending being a thing.

Years
    Hmm, that's a little disappointing, as that was one of the interesting quirks of the family that I liked. I always assumed that it was just an unnoticed mistake that came about in the 3rd gen, but figured it would be one of those things left untouched, kind of like Nidorina/Nidoqueen still being unable to breed.

dirkac

scarfmaster asterisk
    Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2023
    Hmm, that's a little disappointing, as that was one of the interesting quirks of the family that I liked. I always assumed that it was just an unnoticed mistake that came about in the 3rd gen, but figured it would be one of those things left untouched, kind of like Nidorina/Nidoqueen still being unable to breed.

I believe it was noted in Platinum by an NPC using one before Battle, so they were aware of it at that time and likely unwilling to change it.

Likely it was changed so as to not imply a change in sexuality or the such, as mature themes are far to be avoided in Pokémon (outside minor phrases).

Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2023
    How Wally levels his Ralts up, while it only knows Growl. It's kinda weird... unless he borrowed the Zigzagoon again lol

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    How Wally levels his Ralts up, while it only knows Growl. It's kinda weird... unless he borrowed the Zigzagoon again lol

Ever notice how close his home in Verdanturf Town is to the region's Day-Care Center?

Years
    Tis only happened in Gen III, IV, and V.

In Gen VI they no longer change Genders, as Azurill and Marill have specialized coding now that prevents gender-bending being a thing.

Wow I was surprised they corrected that issue now. Still, its gender ratio didn't get fixed though.

Yeah I would have imagined how Wally could have trained a Ralts knowing only Growl on its own. Maybe he ended up catching something to assist it since he did end up getting a 5 Pokemon team in his last battle on Victory Road.

Last edited:

Boured

The Guildmaster
    Years
    How it takes place in a fictional world yet the story of mew says its fossil was found in South America

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    Why do I need special shoes to run? Can't I run with my normal shoes? Do those shoes have special sonic powers?
    Why do I need to make my Snorlax hold some incense just so it can make a Munchlax egg? Does it modify the breeding process? What does that incense have to do with all this?
    Where does the truck come from in R/S/E? Where does it go? Which path did it take?
    Why do swimmers swim on the ocean, especially the younger ones? Aren't their parents going to worry they might drown? Do they even have parents at all?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Why do swimmers swim on the ocean, especially the younger ones? Aren't their parents going to worry they might drown? Do they even have parents at all?

Furthermore, how do swimmers not drown in the ocean, especially after you defeat their Pokémon?? They're in there 24/7, and never move from their spots/set paths. Nobody can tread water forever.

Also, why can't I use my Zekrom in the Battle Maison but can use it in Battle Spot? It makes no sense to me....

Back