• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Things that never made sense in Pokemon

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    While Pokémon is a fictional thing taking place in a fictional universe, there's still things that don't make a whole lotta sense, even within the confines of fiction. Is there something in Pokémon that doesn't make the slightest bit of sense to you? Post it here.

A couple of ones I can think of are:

-How can Wooper use Ice Punch in the games? It has no arms. Not even little hands sticking out from its body.
    -How can there be female Mr. Mimes?

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • My main gripe is that a significant amount of Pokémon can learn fly and transport humans when they're logically not nearly big enough for that to happen. Silver and his damn Murkrow look so stupid oh my god

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Oct 16, 2023
    How in the world does an escape rope get you out of a cave like it does :/ it still puzzles me to this day...

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
    Years
  • -Why are there multitudes of people just standing around, waiting to battle specifically you. Paying no heed whatsoever to all the other trainers right beside them. (Only once do I remember any trainers partaking in battle with one another.)

-Why do they remain cemented to the same exact spot for all eternity after you do beat them.

-HMs. Apparently- unless you teach Lapras Surf- it just won't know how to swim and flop around like an epileptic at a rave party.

-HMs again. Why is it that you require a badge before being able to use them outside of battle? I doubt a Scyther will simply refuse to cut things unless you happen to have a tiny medallion.

-When you become Champion- why does nobody ever come to challenge you?

-How do water types fight on land?

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    How do people get evolved forms of Pokemon that are lower levels than they evolve at? The only example I can think of is Falkner's Pidgeotto, but I know there's more. Maybe they find them in the wild, but how do they exist in the wild in the first place?

Gigabeat

Professionals and all.
    Years
  • A few things kinda bug me, but it's a game and all so.... Anyway.

- How is it that nearly every Pokemon can learn Toxic?
    - Please tell me how Bidoof can learn Ice Beam, Thunder and Shadow Ball? That's just ridiculous. :P
    - Why is it that when you defeat trainers with a legendary Pokemon that's supposed to only be in myths and all,they don't have any reaction like it's perfectly normal?

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    Why is Pyroar's Attack stat so low, and its Special Attack so high?

Oh, and Exeggcute has cute in its name, but it's not cute.

Mochika Rage

sickening, no?
    Years
    • uk
    • Seen Oct 1, 2017
    Why do trainers wait to battle you, and only you?

Why don't you actually become the champion?

Why do the trainers think you looked at them when you simply tried to walk past?

How do fish pokémon battle out of water?

Why do you have to be at least ten to leave but when you're out you find four year olds with pokémon?

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
  • The obvious one, why do people stand around all day, waiting for bypassing trainers to challenge. It's like you and your rival/group of friends are the only ones who ever actually set out on a journey. Oh and Wally.

How is it that creatures with powers that can range as far as to pretty much destroying and creating new worlds barely even hurts people (anime)

How does one fly on a Pidgey?

How do the trainers breathe under water?

Why have they completely abandoned the idea of having rivals that are douchy and actually makes you want to battle them, and replaced it with friends? I mean it's not a bad idea, but it's pretty much only been friends for the past 4 generations. Need to shake it up a little!

Why does the SS. Anne first leave as soon as you've left the ship?

How is it that so many Normal types can learn such a broad range of elemental moves?

Aaand that's all for now :p

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • - How is it that nearly every Pokemon can learn Toxic?
    I heard a theory about this- basically Toxic is just vomit or excrement. Any Pokémon can do that and make its opponent sick. :P

But anyway, why do some gym leaders plant a small tree or something on the only accessible pathway to their gym? How is that in any way helpful? While we're at it, how do those things grow back so quickly?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Another one I thought of: how do Pokémon battles not destroy the surrounding area and stuff? Yes, in Black/White when you battle Cheren and Bianca at the beginning of the game, your room is a bit messed up, but that's with low-level pokes that can only use Tackle and Growl.

If I tell my Charizard to use Flamethrower in the middle of the forest, wouldn't I have started a forest fire? Wouldn't using Surf indoors (which then brings up the question of how one uses Surf when not near a body of water) cause serious water damage to the building? Wouldn't my repeated use of Earthquake in the Sunyshore Gym cause severe damage to the gym and town? Wouldn't I basically ♥♥♥♥ up the fabric of the universe by telling Palkia to use Spacial Rend several times?

Also, how do Pokemon that use Explosion/Self-Destruct not die and make a gory mess? They just "faint".

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    In regards to the HM questions, the HM doesn't teach the Pokémon to do the action by itself, like Lapras and Surf, it can swim all day alone, the HM teaches it to do it with a Trainer.

Flying with Pidgey? Plot hole. Flying in general? It teaches the Pokémon to Fly with a Trainer.

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
    Years
  • Why is Sabrina considered after Koga in RBY? It's more logical the other way around and less random.

How do Pokemon die? There's talk about it at the Pokemon Tower and other places... and yet nothing like that is ever shown.

How come humans have never seen the actual act of PokeSex? Are the eggs brought by some undiscovered stork legendary?

Why does Gliscor weigh so much less than Gligar?

Just a few that came to mind.

Jaystar

Sinnoh Veteran
    Years
  • A bit nit-picky but why can't Hawlucha participate in Sky Battles when it can learn Fly and it's signature move is freaking Flying Press? Same goes for Pidgey, Farfetch'd and others flying types. Shouldn't every Pokemon that can learn Fly be able to, oh I dunno, fly for a battle?

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    A bit nit-picky but why can't Hawlucha participate in Sky Battles when it can learn Fly and it's signature move is freaking Flying Press? Same goes for Pidgey, Farfetch'd and others flying types. Shouldn't every Pokemon that can learn Fly be able to, oh I dunno, fly for a battle?
    Same for Gengar, it's pretty weird that Haunter can, but Gengar can't.

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
    Years
  • In regards to the HM questions, the HM doesn't teach the Pokémon to do the action by itself, like Lapras and Surf, it can swim all day alone, the HM teaches it to do it with a Trainer.

Flying with Pidgey? Plot hole. Flying in general? It teaches the Pokémon to Fly with a Trainer.

That's like teaching someone to walk with a backpack.

"Walking? NOOO PROBLEM!"

*Backpack*

"OMG WTF THE WALKING CAN NO LONGER PROCEED".

pastel_fallout

Sayounara
    Years
  • How can Alakazam learn Iron Tail? IT HAS NO FREAKING TAIL.

Does anyone eat Vanillite? I mean, it's practically an ice cream cone.

How do you get damaged from Rough Skin? I could see it being a bit scratchy, but not painful enough to cause damage.

Back