• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Things that you were glad that got changed from a previous generation

Years
  • Generation I: Bind. Flying type moves ineffective against Flying type Pokemon. Missingno. Lavender Town.

Your turn, comrades!

Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2017
    What changed about Lavender Town?

I must say I'm glad the Exp. share changed in Gen 6 to give experience to all Pokemon. It makes training a lot easier, and after almost a decade and half of playing Pokemon games, not having to walk through tall grass all the time is great.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Weather abilities no longer summoning permanent weather in Gen 6. The weather-centric metagame last gen was kinda annoying.

Years
  • Trainer customization, for sure. I'm hoping they'll keep it in future generations. I'm also ambivalent about the Steel nerf--it's good for when I'm up against an opposing Steel type that takes neutral or super effective damage from Ghost/Dark types, but it's bad when I'm the one using said Steel type XD Still, I feel it's a good change.

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2014
    I want to say the TMs becoming multiple use items but this change is so good that I don't feel incentivised to play older generations anymore :P
    I remember never using them throughout a game because I was afraid I'd later regret it I haven't used it on a different Pokemon instead.

Other than that adding abilities was crucial in making Pokemon species more distinct from each other. Imagine if we didn't have ablities yet, among more than 700, there would definately be some Pokemon that feel and play exactly the same. Whereas some abilities are greatly impactful and completely change how you train a Pokemon/what moves you teach it.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    This seems to be mostly about the games, so I'll shuttle this over to Pokémon Gaming Central.

-moved

Years
  • I agree with whoever mentioned 4th Gen's physical/special split, it always annoyed me when I tried to work out what was physical or special back when I was new to the Pokemon games (it was 3rd Gen for me at the time) only to find out it was based on the type.

Now that a move's alignment is not based on type but rather on the move itself, it's much easier to work out plus some Pokemon can now use their STABs more effectively than before the change.

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2015
    Physical/Special split was probably the most important genertational shift, in my opinion. Some Pokemon (Hitmonchan) really benefited from it, whereas others (Ledian) got horribly screwed by it.

Flareon being able to learn Flare Blitz. Incredibly minor, sure, but Flareon was way overdue something good.

Infinite TM Use is just amazing...

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I'm glad that they've finally made TMs reusable. It was such a hassle to constantly search for them every time you wanted to teach something to your Pokémon, and thus eliminated that issue. d: Aside from that, I also like the introduction of mega-evolution; if you ask me, it's a huge step forward.

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    Reusable TM's for me as well. It was really annoying when I wanted to teach the same TM move to two Pokemon, only to find out I can only use it once. Now I wouldn't have the worry anymore because I can just teach the TM over and over again.

Years
  • Top three's gotta be the physical/special split of 4th generation, reusable TMs, and trainer customization. The split really introduced a lot of new concepts and added much more strategy to the games, enhancing the experience. Reusable TMs made life much easier for trainers everywhere, and trainer customization allowed one to make the character their own, which is something I think everyone enjoys doing, haha.

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
    Years
  • Better AI since Generation III! wow so obvious

Reusable TM's being one of them, as I think it feels lie a logical step forward for the TM mechanic. Also no more persistent low health noise in Gen VI (Makes battling less annoying)

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • Weather abilities no longer summoning permanent weather in Gen 6. The weather-centric metagame last gen was kinda annoying.

My Politoed/Scizor/Dragonite core. Rendered redundant. :(

Anyway, I'm glad that in Gen IV, the Bag got a more structured and simplified layout, a berry section, etc. I didn't feel like using an individual item in the Key Items section most of the time, so this feature benefitted me a lot. Of course, Gen IV also brought us the ever so important Physical/Special split. No more special Leaf Blade and Bite! \o/

Those are the two I really liked out of most features brought within each generation. I don't even think the first one counts as a "feature" per se, but those 2 appeal to me most.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    Gen 2: Dark and Steel types, a bag with multiple sections, and the Special stat split

Gen 3: The introduction of Dragon Claw

Gen 4: The physical/special split, and running in buildings

Gen 5: Animated sprites and re-usable TMs

Gen 6: Super Training, Pokemon-Amie, and Clefable getting the Fairy typing

Last edited:

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Dark/Steel type introduction in Generation II, Seasons in Generation V. These are two important factors that are currently in the game for me.

KostK2Boss

Europe Confirmed!!!
    Years
  • Gen 2: The Special stat split, being able to Surf and use Strength without going to the Pokemon menu and the much-needed nerf to binding moves.
    Gen 3: RUNNING SHOES
    Gen 4: RUNNING SHOES INSIDE BUILDINGS
    Gen 5: Reusable TMs, infinite Bag space
    Gen 6: Weather nerf, improved Breeding mechanics, increased shiny ratio, Mawile and Gardevoir actually becoming good.

Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2020
    The obvious ones, to me, are the physical/special split and reusable TMs.

And yeah - infinite bag space is another good one.

A sort of minor one that I haven't seen mentioned - upping the accuracy of Tackle from 95 to 100. Baby pokemon already had enough problems having only one attack - it was just that much worse when it missed.

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
    Years
  • The whole "You missed the Pokemon!" mechanic. I'm glad they got rid of it in Gen II. Too bad they introduced Roaming Legendaries in Gen II...

On a positive note, the introduction of the Running Shoes in Gen III and the Roller Skates in Gen VI.

Trainer Customization is my favorite feature! I hope it comes back for Gen VII.

Back