• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Things you miss from older games?

Doogle3097

Hola.
    Years
    When there less Pokémon to worry about. Although it's fun to train and battle new ones, when there were less, catching 'em all wasn't really that hard.

blueblur155

Proud American Citizen
    Years
    I miss the magnet train, the radio on the pokegear (G/S/C), the custom pokeballs made by curt, and how your rival wasn't a TOTAL nerd (Barry? Please, now Silver, there was a rival)

rockman0

I still claim Luxray!
    Years
    I miss the radio, the 2 regions, the Underground, room decorations (I never played RSE but the secret base sounds awesome) and the EXP. All. Does anyone remember that?

mattman324

Run to the hills, run for your lives!
    Years
    The secret base in RSE was only really a distraction from the main game, but it did have ONE REALLY GOOD FEATURE. If you traded records, you would get other people's hidden bases. If you could remember where they were, then one time per day, you got to battle them. Great EXP, really: Just have them load their teams with level 100 Blisseys with no attacking moves, and you could pull 4000 or 5000 per pokemon. Or you could get other pokemon for EV training.

As for "There are to many pokemon these days", you realise that if you were frugal and caught them all in RSE, you would only need to get about 100 more in DP, not counting all the old pokemon's evolving. And that's just like GSC's ammount. Actually, RBY introduced the largest ammount. Oh, then there's the fact that you get better every game you play at getting pokemon, and they made things A LOT easier in DP for catchers (False Swipe TM? Dusk Balls? Kurt was never that useful!)

The EXP All should still be there, but they can't make it a key item, since you'd need to be able to deposit it (Actually, that means you can't do it AT ALL in the new games, but losing PC space so you can store everything is useful). Remember, you don't want to give HM slaves all the EXP!

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    RSE style secret bases, definitely.
    From GSC, the phone and radio. The Vs. Seeker may pwn the phone as far as rematches go, but I still liked to have trainers call up and talk. It gave them more of a personality (Picnicker Liz and Juggler Irwin FTW!)
    From RBY: "Broken" Slash. Persian was much more useful when it had a 140 base STAB attack with 99.6% accuracy and 20 PP.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I miss not being able to see how much more experience you needed for the next level. I don't know why, but when I play RBY and I can't see that little blue bar, I train my Pokemon better. idk. o3o

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I miss:

PokeNav-brilliant.Specially the condition and map.
    Secret Bases-I used to try and cram as much stuff into a corner as possible, with tent as an entrance, so when i switched on after saving, it'd look like i was trapped and i could confuse my brother

Years
    Meh, for the most part, there's not much I miss really from the old games, meaning the original R/B/Y/G/S/C. The only thing I miss is the simplicity (lack of natures, different EV system) and Missingno. of course. ;D

And, oddly enough, Hoenn isn't my favorite region, but most of the features I miss are from RSE simply because we don't have a remake (yet!).

-The secret base system, as many have mentioned, was much better in RSE.
    -Underwater routes
    -The Mach bike, people. It was sooooo fast! The bike in 4th gen SUX. Well, it's not as bad as FR/LG's bike, but still.
    -Emerald's surf speed

Things I don't miss:

.....Contests. Never. Ever. EVUR again.

Years
    I miss chasing a Pokemon through a maze. That one off Farfetch'd run in GSC (and now HGSS, I guess) is a tad unfair. It should be in more game types than just Ranger games.

I also miss Water Gun Phanpy (Gen Two egg move), Pay Day Pikachu (Gen One TM'd).

TM's for Tri Attack and Pay Day are also missed.
    R.I.P. TM Pay Day ;_;

The Red Chain

I miss when natures didn't exist, and nobody knew what IVs [DVs] or EVs were and/or how to utilize them. When they were discovered and natures were brought into the picture I honestly believe it ruined the game play of Pokemon. Sure it brought on competitive battling which is always fun, but the actual game play became even less challenging than it already was. At that point almost everyone began to mess around with the IVs, EVs and Natures.. making their Pokemon even more powerful than normal.. thus dwarfing all of the in-game trainers and such. Makes for a very boring play-through I'd say.

I also miss when shiny and legendary Pokemon were actually special.
    Now everyone just hacks the life out of their games to get them. >_>;

In short ; I miss when the games were fun.

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Tri Attack was a wonderfully useful move as a TM - risk of freezing, burning, and paralysis for your opponent! That is one thing I miss.

Umm... You do realize that Tri Attack didn't have those secondary effects until GSC, right? And in GSC, there are many batter options for moves than Tri Attack for pretty much all the Pokemon that learned the TM in RGBY.

I personally miss the GameBoy Printer features.

Klofkac

He's back!
    Years
    Crystal-like animations, mystery egg (with 50% chance of shiny), more mach mach-bike, mach surf, contest sys from gen 3 and so on.

The Girl Once named Tracie

She who tames Celebi
    Years
    I miss being able to explore ships, and Mr. Pokemon (can't wait to see him again). Also, I like being able to have every pokemon in the pokedex, and being able to fit them in your PC boxes without having to buy a new software

Back