• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Thinking before you speak - a question.

aruchan

I resent the title beginner :D
    Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2011
    Um, I sing in the shower. Like most other people. My voice isn't terrible, but still.
    I tend to not censor my thoughts. That's how I'm funny. xD

Meinfoo

Spelling error? Spelling win!
    Years
    It would be simply unbearable for anyone with an obvious physical disorder because they would be asked what is wrong with them or how it happened by every person they met. I think that saying the first thing you think of is wrong when meeting a person for the first time because you only have their physical appearance to judge them on.

It would be terrible, I don't think it would be a nice world to live in.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
    I find thinking while in the shower absolutely the best time to think about things!

Oh God I always end up singing :( I always think about stuff when I am going to sleep, which is why I always fall asleep like over an hour after I am in bed.

Around friends I never ever think before I speak. I am pretty dirty and never censor anything I say XD Except when i am in public or around adults or am online. When I am online I try to get into a habit of staying clean and appropriate. It is easy to offend people online, especially when they have no idea about your true self. Around adults I find it rude to swear or be dirty etc. so I always remember manners, to smile and be very polite. I choose my wording carefully depending on the environment.

So yeah around friends I am never down, always funny and enjoyable. I can be vicious in arguments verbally but when around adults I am always polite and smile etc. And online I try to censor everything because it is hard to interpenetrate people not being face to face.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Why do we wear underwear if we're all just gonna take them off when we take a dump?

That was a ridiculous question that somebody asked me. They weren't a kid, either. I guess some people just don't think before they speak.

Let's discuss what drives people to do this and any experiences we've had with this.

Years
    Well there was a psychology experiment once that required a brief training period where a person was taught to speak whatever was on there mind and to censor nothing. Seeing as this was an experiment on gambling there wasn't any about true personalities and whatnot but it did show how random the human mind can be when its uncensored. People were coming out with all sorts like this notable phrase of 'I like two big melons'. I think we censor things out not because of our personalities but because its not socially acceptable. Our brains have evolved to depend on social interaction so we block out certain things so we fit in.

Ghost

[b][color=orange]ツ[/color][color=teal][i]In the Ma
    Years
    If I'm angry I'm sometimes likely not to respond so that's not much of an issue. When I am asked a question I sometimes speak before I have time to think about what was said. I'm in special Ed at school so I think slower than others, not everyone knows but to me this isn't a big deal. If I wanted to think about something it somehow finds it's way out now and then.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
    Do we censor our true, immediate thoughts by doing this? Having a change of heart on something aside (like, after you think it through, you realize it's wrong and you change your opinion on it) do you believe that we censor our immediate thoughts by attempting to refrain from speaking until we've thought about what we want to say? Are our thoughts -- before thinking before we speak them -- our raw personality and opinions, uncensored?

We as human beings "censor" our thoughts all the time! We're raised to. It's part of how our brains work. "Censoring" is simply part of the normal thought process. Something that always amuses me is when people try to rebel against the normal thought process by making an actual effort to be rude and inconsiderate. While that DOES defeat the purposes of thinking before speaking, one is still thinking before speaking. In other words, hipsters.

I myself actually have a weird difficulty there. While I think about what I say just fine, I actually have significant difficulty "censoring" my /body/ language. Thus, my facial expressions and other forms of body language seem rather excessive for the situation.

Years
    I am usually very cautious of the things I say. I tend to not speak my mind if the chances of causing harm to others is high. It would be very bad if I spouted out my immediate thoughts. I'd probably end up hurting a lot of people and then I'd end up with no friends V____V

Just imagine if the entire world was like that. While it would be a lot more honest, chaos would reign supreme and not the Overlord.

Always try to think before acting as it is the logical approach to handling situations. I analyse things logically and suppress emotions when dealing with situations and making decisions. I consider impulsive humans who let their feelings control them, to be aligned with the Light. For the Light blinds the human mind and causes it to act recklessly on dominant emotions. Dark justice is absolute, it forgoes emotion and relies purely on logically constructed facts and assumptions in dealing with scenarios.

I apologize if this is all over the place - I'm heading out now ¬______¬

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
    My honest opinion? It'd be rubbish. The sheer hilarity, randomness, annoyance, and simple confusion that comes out of things people say without thinking about them first is what makes conversation worthwhile. It's just so much more flowing and natural if you're not engineering every single sentence before you say it. Imo, if everyone spent time thinking about what they were going to say before they said it, you wouldn't get to know anyone properly.

That and conversation would be much slower because of the thinking time.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    My honest opinion? It'd be rubbish. The sheer hilarity, randomness, annoyance, and simple confusion that comes out of things people say without thinking about them first is what makes conversation worthwhile. It's just so much more flowing and natural if you're not engineering every single sentence before you say it. Imo, if everyone spent time thinking about what they were going to say before they said it, you wouldn't get to know anyone properly.

That and conversation would be much slower because of the thinking time.

At least in my case, I keep myself from saying some things even while I'm actually speaking. There are just some things I recognize as inappropriate for the situation, or could be rephrased to get my point across more easily. This is also why I like the edit button on PC. :3

Also, I gotta have a little toe-to-toe with Drakow and his darkness sometime. Just for fun, see where it leads.

Back