• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

This will work. Prove me wrong.

Years
  • This will work. Prove me wrong.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Reminds me of a person who can lift their own weight holding a board up and standing on it, expecting to keep himself off the ground.

You'll just have an airplane with a magnet stuck to the top of it. A magnet strong enough to hold up an airplane is impractical anyhow.

Last edited:

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • Allow me.

You have a plane with a magnet attached to it. Your premise is that the magnet holds the plane up. Now let's ignore the power of the magnet to be factor. So now we have a reasonably powerful magnet and a plane. In theory, magnetism is kind of like glue so what you have is the magnet supporting the plane through magnetism. Therefore, for the magnet to be supporting the plane, you need something to support the magnet.

By your logic, the magnet is being supported by the plane. So the plane supports the magnet and the magnet supports the plane. That's not going to work now is it? You're going to need some external force to hold the magnet up to allow it to lift off.

Not convinced? Try lifting yourself up by your shoelaces.

Jarnakel

Nooblet
    Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2011
    I'd just like to say, "Prove me wrong" is in the thread title. >_>

Ok, first off, completely ignoring the fact that it will be nigh impossible to have the magnet and plane support each other, the system has no way to change the amount of magnetic power emitted in a reliable manner, without completely destroying the balance of the plane. Thus, by adding a reverse thrust, one of three things can happen, assuming we ignore the unwieldy nature of the setup.

If the magnets are of equal power, it will cease movement in either direction.
    If the rear magnet is of greater power, the vehicle will move only in reverse.
    If the rear magnet is of lesser power, the forward motion of the vehicle will be slowed.

On this same concept, assuming the magnet above the chassis actually lifted the plane, it would continue to do so, as there is no given method to turn it off. Before long, your aircraft would become a spacecraft.

Pulleys. Very inefficient. Assuming you can actually work them in a reasonable amount of time without them catching, thus eating precious time, you'd need to modify the positions several minutes, if not tens of minutes, before you needed to be at a certain speed or altitude. Hours for larger changes.

The magnet support is to thin and weak. The top magnet, if strong enough to actually lift the plane, would bend its support, thus causing the magnet to touch the plane and never acheiving liftoff. The front support would break in a similar manner, as would the rear.

Now, even if you managed to somehow get all the rest to work, it would be EXTREMELY un-aerodynamic. Travel times would be monstrously slow, and air resistance would pull the vehicle apart over time.

Throat

Oldschool pokemon
    Years
  • It's funny how I imagined such subject in this topic even before opening it. As someone already said, you need external forces to move an object.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    This will work. Prove me wrong.

That's besides the lack of force as already explained.

Now, a plane powered by Atomic Cheeze-Its would be ****ing awesome. See if you can look into that.

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
  • Aside from external forces, you need something to hold the magnet. Like what? Another plane? UFOs? Really costs money that way. WE rather stick to Bernoulli's principle in flying and accelerating the plane.

By the way, the sketch looks like a torpedo with a magnet as a bait. :/

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    So which is failing harder here: Physics or Engineering?

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • Newton's third law. Every force creates an opposing force. The magnet applies an upward force on the plane, but the plane also applies a downward force on the magnet. If the force of magnetism is greater than the strength of the support, the magnet and the plane will move toward each other and eventually contact each other (disfiguring the support in the process), then just drop (due to gravity). If the support is stronger, though, it will prevent the magnet from moving down and the plane from moving up and no movement will occur at all. Either way, it won't fly.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Actually, that which is failing hardest here is this. ;3

Fair enough, perhaps I'll rephrase: Which is being failed upon hardest?
    Needs moar grammar, but I don't care right now.

And thank you for phrasing it like that, Twocows. Now I can adequately explain such a situation in a non-premeditated contribution to conversation. \o/

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
  • This is a clever idea, but Mizan de la Plume Kuro has said all that needs to be said.

However, this reminds me of an entry in a book I have (can't find it now for the life of me, though) called something like "Great Lies to Tell Kids". The lie goes something like, "Tell a kid that if he sits down on a chair, and pulls up on the seat as hard as he can, he will lift himself up in mid air."

That one and "Tell a kid that if he puts a piece of cheese in a DVD player, it will play a short film about cows" made me laugh the hardest. ;)

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
  • Since the magnet is connected to the plane, they're both considered one body and forces can be said to act upon both the magnet and the plane as one system. There is no net force between the magnet and the plane because of the equal-and-opposite principle, so the only net force is gravity. If you had another plane (with magnet) flying above the first plane (without magnet), and the magnet were strong enough to pull the first plane, then it could possibly work, but we're not taking into account that the first plane is going to implode .-.

Troll noted.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    How are you guys so easy to troll is a far better question.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • How are you guys so easy to troll is a far better question.
    I'm pretty sure at least one person has come into this thread learning something new. I wondered this question when I was younger too. Damn Roadrunner cartoons and their absurd physics.

Well, trolling or not, the OP managed to get a question that some people have been wondering about, but have never managed to figure out, and actually ask it, instead of some people, myself included, who would rather not ask, so called, 'stupid' questions.

So I for one, thank the OP for helping at least a few people to enlightenment, regardless of whether or not it was his true intention.

In all fairness, I didn't think he was trolling. Whether I'm right or wrong doesn't matter to me.

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    I have a question. Assuming it works, how do you get the plane to land and not crash?

Back