• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

TV Those awful anti smoking/vaping campaign ads

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • Anyone remember truth orange and their anti smoking ad campaign commercials? Some of them are downright awful.

There's this one on Youtube I get constantly about vapers telling the audience that you'll basically be a failure in life, a disappoinment, have no friends or job if you vape acting like every single person's experience with vaping is the exact same. I, for one, absolutely hate this commercial. I find it a little manipulative and fear mongering to tell, especially since I know this ad is targeted at teenagers, that basically, You will FAIL in life if you vape. I'm not saying you should go off and vape, but don't tell a young impressionable target audience that, tell them the facts of what a vape will do to your body instead.

Also, does anyone remember those #itsatrap anti smoking campaigns from the mid/late 2010s? Those were awful. They used memes to try to convince teens to not smoke. I highly doubt those were at all effective.

I've also heard that some of the stuff Truth Orange puts out there isn't even factual evidence, but I don't know if this a proven fact.

Tbh, the only anti smoking ads I liked were those ones with the little lungs that smoked as a teen, I think those were a lot more effective than anything truth orange has ever produced.

Do you remember any anti smoking/anti vaping ads that you just... didn't like/felt were not helping the cause?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I can't say I remember the specific ones you're talking about.

But the direction anti-smoking ads have gone over the past several years comes down to the fact that it's been a well-known thing for decades that smoking is terrible for your health and, more importantly, other people's health. Yet people continue to pick up smoking for the first time, people continue to engage in their years long smoking habit. People often don't respond to the nice way of doing things, sometimes you have to be brutal with them to finally have the message fucking sink in, or at least get them to change their behavior.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I can't say I remember the specific ones you're talking about.

But the direction anti-smoking ads have gone over the past several years comes down to the fact that it's been a well-known thing for decades that smoking is terrible for your health and, more importantly, other people's health. Yet people continue to pick up smoking for the first time, people continue to engage in their years long smoking habit. People often don't respond to the nice way of doing things, sometimes you have to be brutal with them to finally have the message fucking sink in, or at least get them to change their behavior.

I'm talking about this commercial. This is just one of the many.

I don't think using memes is going to scare any kid into not smoking, tbh. These are the ones I find awful in question because I don't feel they help anyone not smoke since kids find memes funny...

I still honestly think anti smoking ads should just tell the facts instead of trying to be overdramatic like that one I just showed. There's one I see on tv still about a man delivering staitned teeth to a smoker, and I think that's one far more effective than a lot of the ones Truth Orange produces, but that's just me, I guess.

Years
    • Online now
    Most of my friends from highschool had been heavy smokers (some as young as 14 years old).

Almost everybody is aware of the brutal effects of cigarettes. At least in my friend group, many were already nihilistic and simply didn't care. These commercials would be better off helping those in the process of trying to quit, because that's an entirely different battle many can't win.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Tbh they should just show the effects of it and the effects it has on others, just bluntly. People are shamed for drug use when smoking is also an addiction with severe health effects. Same with alcohol.

Years
  • The problem with this issue as a whole (without going to far into the topic and away from the E&M aspect) is that people make the conscious to do that and therefore... are going to react worse to all this stuff targeted to tell them to stop.

Best way is to just be to the point, slap on what it does (which I know here they already do on the packaging anyway) to your body and be done with it. Advertising campaigns etc. to the degree Palamon posted are going to do fuck all, ESPECIALLY when done so poorly. Like wow, those adverts were AWFUL.

Back