• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Those BASTARDS

Years
  • Yes gamestop does take in fakes, I went in to my local store here and they had a fake emerald game that I told them that it was a fake.
    Hmm, that's kind of odd. Most fakes- especially cartridge games, are pretty noticeable, but there're always going to be those that can't tell the difference I guess (which is probably why they're so widespread in the first place).

.:batto:.

Pokébreeder
    Years
  • Hmm, that's kind of odd. Most fakes- especially cartridge games, are pretty noticeable, but there're always going to be those that can't tell the difference I guess (which is probably why they're so widespread in the first place).

Exactly. I highly doubt that gamestop would take in fakes. They read serial numbers. Businesses like these aren't stupid..

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2016
    This is not that big of a deal. things the internal battery effects is Shoal Cave's water level, Evolving Eevee into Espeon or Umbreon. Or Lilycove's lottery.

The only one that would of really effected me would be not being able to grow berries. And to have a Blissey with Seismic Toss, I would pay that kind of money. {XD}

To answer your question. We don't have a problem with "fake games" in Australia. Ive never heard of anyone having this kind of a problem. How are you even certain that it was fake if you didn't buy it..?

Because, on the back of the cartridge, there was a big black dot (glue, I guess?). He put it on my hand before he said it cost a hundred bucks. I didn't know it was fake until I saw a video explaning how to spot a fake one, and the first thing I remembered was that big black dot.

Have you tried Gamestop? Provided youre in the US? That really sucks. The value of it would maybe 25 bucks at the most

Unfortunately, I live in Brazil. It's really hard to find old and original games here.

I bought all of my Pokémon games the year they were released. Unfortunately I lost my Emerald, Sapphire, and Platinum versions... I did buy an Emerald version from eBay not too long ago and it turned out to be fake. I wasn't aware of that issue until it was too late :(

Damn, that must awful. I've met a guy who told me his mom threw away all his Pokémon games and he had to buy fake ones because he didn't find any original ones. Platinum isn't that hard to find, though. I can't say the same for Emerald and Sapphire.

Last edited:
    Years
  • All of my games are legit. And I guess Game Freak was concerned about infringement, because each GB/GBC/GBA game is colored to match the title as best as possible, and that's how I can tell that a copy of those games are legit. Unfortunately for me, though, my R/S/E versions are all misplaced and or lost :(

Altair1

Willpower
    Years
  • To answer your question. We don't have a problem with "fake games" in Australia.

Actually we do, if you buy them off ebay like I did, the 'five' games in one (Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, FireRed and LeafGreen) the sellers are in Australia so I thought it was legit, nope! I got a full refund except they didn't claim it was fake, their excuse was ''it's the US version'' ...

I ended up finding the real deal cartridges on this site called 'Fully Retro' maybe you could try it? They ship to all countries except to the US and Canada. Might still be a bit pricey but much more affordable than $100!! Probably $30 - $35 at most...

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    No, all of my games are legit. I've only ever ordered off the internet through Amazon. The one pre-owned game I have is Pokémon LeafGreen. Back in 2009 I think it was, that cost me £25 from GAME. Pretty steep considering the person who traded it in probably got around £2, but I guess it's because pokémon is so popular - I don't think many people trade them in unless they really need the cash.

The only time I've had problems with a game is with my Diamond version on the snowy routes, it sometimes freezes. But that's because of a slightly damaged DSLite, not the game - it works fine in a DSi.

Roughsponge

What's occurin?
    Years
  • I've never actually bought/owned a fake Pokemon game, but I did almost get a couple quite a few years ago when I was young. I was trying to get a Gameboy advance SP in Spain while I was on holiday (would work out a lot cheaper), but then the owner tried to con us into buying 100 games in 1 with it (which you had to buy or you couldn't buy the SP).

Down the list of games was "Pokemon Rainbow" and "Pokemon Robot", even at a young age I knew they were fake :P I still wish I could of seen what the games would of looked like, that's if they would of worked.

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
    Years
  • I've never had too much trouble with fake games bought here in Ireland. I've gone on holidays to Spain once or twice though and been all "OH COOL A POKEMON GAME I'VE NEVER HEARD OF BEFORE!" and have bought one, I have no idea what it was called, but it was mostly in Spanish and didn't save. I wasn't too bothered cause it only cost €15 or so, so no big loss.

€100 is WAAAAAAY too much for a second hand Pokemon Game. Heck, I wouldn't pay that for a legitimate day-one-packaging, brand new sealed, never been used Ruby version.

On a side-note, Pokemon Ruby secondhand, cart. only is €12-18 here in Ireland. Surely the battery isn't that hard to replace even if it did run dry?

Years
  • I've never had too much trouble with fake games bought here in Ireland. I've gone on holidays to Spain once or twice though and been all "OH COOL A POKEMON GAME I'VE NEVER HEARD OF BEFORE!" and have bought one, I have no idea what it was called, but it was mostly in Spanish and didn't save. I wasn't too bothered cause it only cost €15 or so, so no big loss.

€100 is WAAAAAAY too much for a second hand Pokemon Game. Heck, I wouldn't pay that for a legitimate day-one-packaging, brand new sealed, never been used Ruby version.

On a side-note, Pokemon Ruby secondhand, cart. only is €12-18 here in Ireland. Surely the battery isn't that hard to replace even if it did run dry?

I'm only just nitpicking here, but €100 and $100 are definitely not the same. Though getting ripped off for €100 is much worse than $100.

CliCliW

Years
  • I'm only just nitpicking here, but €100 and $100 are definitely not the same. Though getting ripped off for €100 is much worse than $100.

I'm actually not sure what the exact exchange rate is, but €1 = $1.33 or thereabouts. I know they're not the same, I just tend to generalize :P

CliCliW

Years
  • But yeah, whether it be $100 or $133 for a Pokemon game, not even in my dreams.

Exactly, I really can't justify spending that much on any game, never mind a pre-owned one at that :P

Do you have any idea what the story is re: being able to buy a game say in Ireland and then passing it onto an international person? Are the carts more or less region locked? Cause I would suggest that us with more access to games could pass them onto those with less access to games if there were no limitations/ restrictions :) Or is that going a bit far :/

Silais

That useless reptile
    Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2016
    I've never bought a fake game before, I always buy my games new. Thank goodness I have all of the old GBA Pokemon games already, otherwise I'd have to spend quite a bit for a new copy.

I did have a classmate in my dorms last year who bought a fake Emerald on accident, but instead of sending it back he put it up on eBay and tried to sell it off as a real copy. He got in trouble for it and had to send the person's money back, but I wish he'd have had his account suspended permanently. People like that drive me nuts.

tnfsf11

I actually had a problem with fakes too...
    Recently I went to a popular video-game store where I'm at & I was hoping I could find GBA Pokémon cartridges, I did find Gold, Emerald & Green, they all appeared fake & even green was in English...
    But I didn't mind & bought the first 2, they were cheap & I didn't expect to find original ones now & just wanted to play the games, little did I know they were actually NES games put on GBA cartridges (Felix the Cat, Tom & Jerry) with sprites edited to look like Pokémon. >:(
    I went back to them with my PSP & the real ROMs of the games on it, I compared an Emerald ROM to the screenshots on the back of the fake box & the fake game itself, explaining that these are totally different games. The seller didn't even say a word, I got my money back & he apologized saying that these games were imported (from who knows where) & sometimes GBA games turn out fake/unofficial.
    Those Bastards. :|

Last edited:
    Years
  • Exactly, I really can't justify spending that much on any game, never mind a pre-owned one at that :P

Do you have any idea what the story is re: being able to buy a game say in Ireland and then passing it onto an international person? Are the carts more or less region locked? Cause I would suggest that us with more access to games could pass them onto those with less access to games if there were no limitations/ restrictions :) Or is that going a bit far :/

GBA Carts are region free, so you can rest easy.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
  • Last year I got back into Pokémon and bought the games I had missed online. I found a seller on a website who was selling all five Gen 3 carts, so I bought them all. Of course, they turned out to be all fake, and FireRed wasn't even working. I immediately reported the seller (who, unfortunately, didn't get into any trouble for this and is still active to this day) to the website's administration and got a refund. I wrote a little guide about fakes in another thread after this.

I had better luck with my following purchases, they were all legit.

tnfsf11

I've been meaning to ask, when you guys say fake you mean an unofficial cartridge but with the real game on it or a cartridge with a completely different game/bootleg?

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • I bought Crystal and Gold together, and the gold turned out to be fake. I was really only buying it for Crystal anyway, and since one was real, I assume the seller didn't know it was fake, so no big loss I guess.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
  • I've been meaning to ask, when you guys say fake you mean an unofficial cartridge but with the real game on it or a cartridge with a completely different game/bootleg?

We're talking about unofficial cartridges with real games on them that are being sold as if they were real.

Back