• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Thoughts on Bioshock Infinite's Ending? (SPOILERS)

Klippy

L E G E N D of
Years
  • I didn't find it nearly as good as the original Bioshock's twist. Everything was set up so perfectly in the first game, I felt underwhelmed by Infinite's story and "twist". I enjoyed the setting of Infinite as well, but it was just not close to what Rapture brought to the table.

Years
  • I didn't find it nearly as good as the original Bioshock's twist. Everything was set up so perfectly in the first game, I felt underwhelmed by Infinite's story and "twist". I enjoyed the setting of Infinite as well, but it was just not close to what Rapture brought to the table.

I feel like Elizabeth becoming omniscient detracted from her previously established character. It kinda rubbed me the wrong way.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • It's been a while since I played the game so I'm a bit hazy on the details of the overall ending, and I'm not going to mince words since, at least in terms of Infinite, this is clearly going to be a spoiler-heavy zone with no holds-barred.

...That said, this isn't going to be some rant. At the time I could have done one, but this'll be incredibly brief. It was a well-thought out ending in terms of the overall story, but at the same time, after a point it was rather predictable (for instance, Comstock's identity and the "twist" at the end) and slightly confusing. Giving them the girl and wiping away the debt is essentially what sets the plot in motion, happening before the plot of the game even starts (and to the player, at the beginning of the game before you go to the fair- that's a clever bit of direction there). This is all well and good, but the resolution to the story, the solution that Elizabeth comes up with to prevent the game from happening, is eliminating the choice altogether. What's strange about this, however, is that once the choice is eliminated and DeWitt wakes up from his desk, he goes screaming in surprise with the idea that his daughter might actually be in the room next to him.

This makes no sense. DeWitt never gave anybody "the girl". There was no reason that she would be gone. And one could try to argue that he remembers things from the events of the game, but that can't happen, because there doesn't exist a single timeline where the gave the girl away as payment for the debt. This always bothered me, as it really felt like they through away all that they built up in the last few moments before we arrive at the Title Screen. Of course, even if you forsake that, there's still the fact that Elizabeth still has a ruthless, cold-hearted murderer of a father, one that has undergone any sort of redemption or introspection, and is ultimately doomed to be raised by him.

That...again, is a very small sliver of my thoughts on it, and I'd probably have to see it again (or play the game again) to draw out my thoughts, but that's what stuck out to me most, at least (and it seems I minced quite a few words).

Sir Codin

Is it at least better than that twist ending at the end of Bioshock 2 where it turns out the game sucked?

Years
  • How exactly did you expect it to have a happy ending?

And, more, in your eyes, how was the ending not happy?

My idea of a happy ending is Booker and Elizabeth escaping Columbia and settle down in Paris.

As for the actual ending, doesn't Booker and Elizabeth die though? Unless I just am confused by it, I thought drowning Booker would kill any version of both Comstock and Booker, subsequently causing Booker to never have Anna. Unless Booker drowning only killed Comstock, and Booker is still alive in every other version. If that is the case, is Booker after the credits what happens after another Booker is drowned?

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • My idea of a happy ending is Booker and Elizabeth escaping Columbia and settle down in Paris.

As for the actual ending, doesn't Booker and Elizabeth die though? Unless I just am confused by it, I thought drowning Booker would kill any version of both Comstock and Booker, subsequently causing Booker to never have Anna. Unless Booker drowning only killed Comstock, and Booker is still alive in every other version. If that is the case, is Booker after the credits what happens after another Booker is drowned?
    Technically speaking, no one dies. By drowning Booker, he never becomes Comstock and the events of the game never happen because Comstock never steals away Anna from Booker.

Because the cause that is Anna being taken away as payment for a debt is removed from Time-Space (essentiallly), the events of the game never happen and Booker was never drowned (because the game didn't happen and as a result, there would be no need- Comstock never existed. Not to mention Elizabeth has no powers because for the aforementioned reason). So the game ends with Booker alive and his daughter safe in her crib (they don't show it, but there's no real reason for suspense since there's no reason she wouldn't be). Thus, all of Elizabeth's pain and suffering never happened, and Booker and Anna led normal lives. Sounds pretty happy to me.

Years
  • Technically speaking, no one dies. By drowning Booker, he never becomes Comstock and the events of the game never happen because Comstock never steals away Anna from Booker.

Because the cause that is Anna being taken away as payment for a debt is removed from Time-Space (essentiallly), the events of the game never happen and Booker was never drowned (because the game didn't happen and as a result, there would be no need- Comstock never existed. Not to mention Elizabeth has no powers because for the aforementioned reason). So the game ends with Booker alive and his daughter safe in her crib (they don't show it, but there's no real reason for suspense since there's no reason she wouldn't be). Thus, all of Elizabeth's pain and suffering never happened, and Booker and Anna led normal lives. Sounds pretty happy to me.

That clears up a lot of the ending to me. Thanks for that, now it is for sure my favorite singleplayer fps I've played, the at first sad ending I was confused about. made me not like it as much.

Back