• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Thoughts on Fairy Types Now?

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    In my opinion, they're pretty overpowered. Being able to take out not only dragons, but fighting, dark, and ghosts takes out an entire group of types that I've always stacked together (along with psychic). I don't have any complaints about the retyping they've done. To me, all of them make sense. I do agree that they're all pretty girly. I expected that, but I expected at least some male-oriented Pokémon to be typed as fairy and I don't like how they played that up, considering the entire fairy gym was entirely made up of females in a doll house.

Fairy-types aren't strong against Ghost types...

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I'm fine with them overall. I've always been fine with them though, ever since their reveal.

I haven't used any of the new fairies but I did use Mawile. It was a valuable member of my team...even more so when it could mega evolve.

I think in future gens we may see some more gender neutral fairy types. It happened with the fighting type.

Personally I think Swirlix, Slurpuff, Klefki and Xerneas are quite gender neutral though.

Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2013
    I love the fact they introduced a new type, but I swear it always catches me off guard. I'm battling going "Why isn't this working?" and it's always a partial fairy type. Klefki turned out to be quite the pain for a little set of floating keys.

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2016
    I know the fairy type suppose to balance up Dragon type but was it necessary for them to make fairy type immune to dragon type .

I can understand Ghost being immune to Normal and Fighting.
    I can understand Ground being immune to Electric
    I can understand Flying being immune to Ground
    I can understand Steel being immune to Poison.
    I guess Dark immunity to Psychic (dark absorbs "light" analogy) and Normal being immune to Ghost were creative licences by GameFreak to balance the game. Prior to Gen IV, Psychic and Ghost offensive moves were "Special Attack" with no physical contact.

But I still don't understand what logical analogy you can use to explain why Fairy is immune to Dragon considering many Dragon moves involve physical attacks. If a Dragon uses Dragon Claw, Dragon Tail, Outrage, etc. how do Fairy Pokemon not feel anything?

Years
  • I can understand Ghost being immune to Normal and Fighting.
    I can understand Ground being immune to Electric
    I can understand Flying being immune to Ground
    I can understand Steel being immune to Poison.
    I guess Dark immunity to Psychic (dark absorbs "light" analogy) and Normal being immune to Ghost were creative licences by GameFreak to balance the game. Prior to Gen IV, Psychic and Ghost offensive moves were "Special Attack" with no physical contact.

But I still don't understand what logical analogy you can use to explain why Fairy is immune to Dragon considering many Dragon moves involve physical attacks. If a Dragon uses Dragon Claw, Dragon Tail, Outrage, etc. how do Fairy Pokemon not feel anything?

Fairies have always been known to be ethereal so im sure thats the reason why, i mean makes no sense but since pokemon can be fairies you can consider them ghosts...If you dont know what i mean by Ethereal i mean its "Godly - no actual physical body"

honestly i think Fairy isnt that OP, Poison types come into play now...And we wont see many supports getting dragon raped since most of them are fairys now..

I think fairy was introduced as supports not really Attackers.

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2016
    I like the Fairy type, although I did find the gym a hell of a lot easier than I expected to be fair that was the case with pretty much every gym. I used Klefki, which looks weak but I found it great! I traded over a Togepi to my friend and got it back for my next playthrough which I'm doing now, but since it's not an unknown game now I'm gonna take it slow so I don't rush through it in a week! Maybe by the time I finish this time something secret will be found :p

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    i think the fairy type is good, just most are too slow, seems like a dragon can just carry poison move and they would strike fast and hit hard

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • What a bunch of fairies, koff~

Just joking. I love it. It has given some much needed life into the series and it's given my favorite type a new lease on life. I had to nearly give up using the Poison type because I was having difficulty fighting against others. Who cares if they're all a bit girly? They're a new type, they'll get some new ones out in a year or two that are manly men, koffi~

icklebug

Champagne Supernova
    Years
  • Meh. I also agree that they are very feminine. The fact that I have a male Armoatisse disturbs me every time I throw him out. Stop trying to seduce me you creepo!!

Pecilia

Best Witch
    Years
  • I really think for fairy types to be complete it would be nice if we had fast, fairly strong poison-types and steel-types. Most powerful poison moves are special attacks and steel pokemon are more defensive imo. I want those two types to contain more power rather than a low-rated subtype that only worsens other pokemon by added more weaknesses than defense (cough grass-poison cough).

icklebug

Champagne Supernova
    Years
  • I agree with greenmoon. Poison and steel types really need an upgrade. I mean, dragon type moves do way more damage now then they used to.

Years
  • While I haven't really had the chance to use a fairy type yet, I will say that the whole thing has caused me to rethink my "Generational Pokemon team" (consisting of one Pokemon from each Generation). Of course this is more of a personal issue for me and I'll probably be able to figure something out, but without getting into too much detail let's just say it would've been real nice if they had a Fairy/Ground type pokemon for this Generation

Fitzsy

authentic cool guy
    Years
  • I just hope Fairy-Types don't become total gamebreakers in the long run. I mean I really really like this new Type and I'd hate for it to fall prey to unbalance because there's no better way to bring hate to a Type than by totally overpowering it... Or no, I guess underpowering it would make it worse... I have no idea what I'm saying but I don't even care because oooh my goood look at Flabébé so presh!

Mostly I'm glad that it makes cute Pokémon a viable choice. Personally, I never really get into the cool Pokémon like Garchomp or Lucario or Absol, so for me it's just tops that my Clefable isn't comparatively useless!

27thColt

The Collector
    Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2023
    I haven't tried Sylveon or any other Fairy type yet, but I like the idea of making dragons types weaker. :)

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    I just hope Fairy-Types don't become total gamebreakers in the long run. I mean I really really like this new Type and I'd hate for it to fall prey to unbalance because there's no better way to bring hate to a Type than by totally overpowering it... Or no, I guess underpowering it would make it worse... I have no idea what I'm saying but I don't even care because oooh my goood look at Flabébé so presh!

Mostly I'm glad that it makes cute Pokémon a viable choice. Personally, I never really get into the cool Pokémon like Garchomp or Lucario or Absol, so for me it's just tops that my Clefable isn't comparatively useless!

I don't think that should be too much of a problem. Fairy is already weak to one of the more common types (Poison). I mean, if you really wanna have the edge against Fairy-type, get an Oddish. Or you can teach one of your Pokémon a Steel-type move, like Flash Cannon or Iron Head or Steel Wing.

I agree with greenmoon. Poison and steel types really need an upgrade. I mean, dragon type moves do way more damage now then they used to.

I have to agree with Cassino on this one. Poison types? Yes, they needed the upgrade. But Steel types? They were already strong against Rock and Ice and resistant to a whopping 11 different types, not to mention being immune to Poison type. Thank God they chose to take the resistance to Ghost and Dark away, or Steel would be ridiculously overpowered. It still kind of is, to be honest.

Although, I actually would have chosen a type other than Ghost to take away from Steel resistances. Because in a lot of lore, iron is effective against ghosts. I would have taken away their resistance to Normal-type or Dragons away.

Fitzsy

authentic cool guy
    Years
  • I don't think that should be too much of a problem. Fairy is already weak to one of the more common types (Poison). I mean, if you really wanna have the edge against Fairy-type, get an Oddish. Or you can teach one of your Pokémon a Steel-type move, like Flash Cannon or Iron Head or Steel Wing.

Oh, yes, thank you, that's something I forgot to mention, I'm really glad it retroactively buffs Poison-Types!

Ryden

Friendly Lurker
    Years
  • I'm kinda surprised by what pokemon became fairy type and which ones I thought would did not. Also the quantity is rather small, I'm not even sure if in the group of them there is actually one I'd be interested in using and nothing I've been using so far has even been able to learn a fairy type move that I've seen yet.
    I keep forgetting the type match up when it comes to getting hit by one of them as well, though I do now least have the immune to dragon weak to poison and steel stuck in my head now. Though I sometime still forget about how fire relates to it, its usually met with an "oh yeah...".

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
  • The only Fairy-type I consider a proper Fairy is the Flabebe line, which actually turns out to evolve into something decent. The rest are just overly-feminine and "KAWAII DESU DESU DESU" pink blobs, or, in the case of Xerneas, Pokemon that the Fairy-type doesn't make sense with.

Plus, it shouldn't be super-effective against so much. The type effectively renders Bug useless, and it gives Dark a major hit in power.

Back