• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Thoughts on Fairy Types Now?

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
Years
  • Personally I find the Fairy type a welcome addition to the Pokemon franchise. Dragon did need something to balance it out, as it resisted four pretty common types and was weak only to itself (tricky to get STAB and super-effective) and Ice, a less commonly seen type. As many of the most powerful non-legendary Pokemon (and some legendaries too) are Dragon, and it was resisted only by Steel, something new was needed to balance it out On top of that, both Steel and Poison are hardly seen on the offensive, the latter also having crippling weaknesses to Psychic and Ground. The Fairy type fills this niche, offering offensive options for two underused types and giving Dragons something to look out for. Honestly I don't think it's that crippling on them anyway. I've used both Dragonair and Salamence in X and Y and they could fight fairies just fine. Many dragons can also learn Iron Tail, giving them something to fight back with anyway.

As for being feminine.... yeah.... some of them are. Some of them are cute (Sylveon!), some are weird looking (Spritzee), but all of the types have odds and ends. This is a pretty accurate reflection, as fairies in mythology and folklore also run the gamut from dainty winged humanoids to animal-like beings to grotesque looking things.
    These are pretty much my thoughts.
    (Altough I used Tyrantrum & Garchomp rather than Dragonair & Salamence...)

hiff8

Gotta Derp em all
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2015
    I like it alot! i just with it had more powerful individuals for competitive play; I mean pretty much the top four are Gardevoir, Rogekiss, Sylevion, and Whimsicott (and Whim is a status speader). Don't get me wrong, i use a Gardevoir on my team (sometimes even the mega form) and it's great! there's just really not a vast selection.

Homura Akemi

time is f o r e v e r~
    Years
  • I quite like it.

Fairy-types are immensely cute! c: (especially Sylveon and Swirlix, 10/10 definitely will hug), and it beats the dominating Dragon-types in competitive battle (Ice-types just aren't good enough alone, and fire with fire isn't that great).

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Personally, I'm a big fan of the concept behind fairy. The only thing that I don't like about it, though, is the amount of weaknesses. Most types have three to five weaknesses, but fairy… it's got only two. Not only that, but it's got an immunity as well. d: Since it has an immunity, I feel that it should've gotten an additional weakness. Y'know, just to make it a little more balanced. Currently, fairy-type Pokémon are super-effective to poison and steel. If it was up to me, I would make them weak to dark, too. I know that fairy-types are super-effective against dark, but it would've made a lot of sense if it was also the other way around. Dark-types are supposed to represent "evil," while fairy Pokémon stand for "good," which is the complete opposite. In fairy tales, when good and evil go head-to-head, they always end up damaging each other massively. So, yeah.

So far, my favorite fairy-type Pokémon would have to be Aromatisse. I love the way how its eyes look—they're extremely pretty. I like its color scheme, too. The colors that it's got on its body compliment each other very well. (: My second favorite has gotta be Dedenne. It's quite cute!

Last edited:

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
    Years
  • I quite like the Fairy type now, although I don't understand why some (>.> Mr. Mime) Pokemon have this type setting, while others in my opinion should get them but still have their old type scheme.. I have a Sylveon on my team though and really like her, but sometimes could be a bit OP though... :3

I'm not sure how to feel about the "Dragon-type-doesn't-affect-Fairy-thing" though :\ If My Noivern/Goodra use an awesome destruct-the-target-with-big-ass-meteors attack, and the whole playfield should become a mess, HOW a Fairy-Pokemon would still dance on the floor anyway XD

Thus, although I like the new type, and I think they should come up with more Pokemon having, for example, Fairy type but maybe eventually they will come up with more new Pokemon and/or type settings OR rethink some aspects of this new type ^_^

Marionz

New to 6th Gen
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2013
    a nice counter for dragon teams... well pretty much OU teams use dragons so hell yeah !

Years
  • My thoughts on fairy type --

Pretty good as a defensive typing. Fighting and Dragon were getting a little bit out of hand, so it's nice that they have something else to contend with.. be it pink squishy things of doom. I don't particularly like the new ones they added save maybe Flabebe's line.. and I wasn't really keen on it at all at first until I actually used one and found it to be a bit stronger than its frail appearance.. But the retconed ones like Mr Mime and Gardevior is nothing but good things to be had.

I will say though, that they don't seem to have a lot of moves to pick from. Most of them seem to be status oriented and special attacks.. which aren't exactly exciting to begin with. I think Dazzling Gleam is about the highest attacking move the typing has.

--edit-- Oh yeah Play Rough.. I'm a dummy

Years
  • My thoughts now,despite their cute appearance they're pretty good if you used their strengths right :D

I'm thinking of breeding for something like this:(I dunno if this will work lol)

Aromatisse@Assault Vest
    Calm/Modest
    252HP/252Def/4SpD
    Ability: Healer
    -Charge Beam
    -Draining Kiss
    -Psychic/Psyshock
    -Energy Ball/Flash Cannon

Rainflower

분홍신
    Years
  • Fairy-types are really cool for me. >:3 At least now we have some uber strong cuties right here. Whoo! Battling wise, they're pretty much good. Florges hits hard and quick if you know how to raise it. Currently she's the one of the strongest battler on my team, LOL. Such a Dragon killer >:'p

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • I like that my Gardevoir doesn't die so hard to Dark-types any more, but being weak to Poison has screwed him over a couple of times when I forgot ingame. I'm pretty underwhelmed by Fairies right now. I like having Moonblast to nuke down Dragons since my team lacks an Ice option, and it's not really resisted by that much so it's a decent all-round option, but I doubt the competitive viability.

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2023
    Personally, I'm a big fan of the concept behind fairy. The only thing that I don't like about it, though, is the amount of weaknesses. Most types have three to five weaknesses, but fairy… it's got only two. Not only that, but it's got an immunity as well. d: Since it has an immunity, I feel that it should've gotten an additional weakness. Y'know, just to make it a little more balanced. Currently, fairy-type Pokémon are super-effective to poison and steel. If it was up to me, I would make them weak to dark, too. I know that fairy-types are super-effective against dark, but it would've made a lot of sense if it was also the other way around. Dark-types are supposed to represent "evil," while fairy Pokémon stand for "good," which is the complete opposite. In fairy tales, when good and evil go head-to-head, they always end up damaging each other massively. So, yeah.

So far, my favorite fairy-type Pokémon would have to be Aromatisse. I love the way how its eyes look—they're extremely pretty. I like its color scheme, too. The colors that it's got on its body compliment each other very well. (: My second favorite has gotta be Dedenne. It's quite cute!

you do realise that Electric types only have ONE weakness right?

Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2013
    It's nice to have fairy types around to balance out the power of dragon types. They were becoming a bit too strong, in my opinion. Some of them have strange looks as mentioned, like Aromatisse. I love Florges and I can't wait to get a Gardevoir, also. :)

iicraft505

A Magikarp ate your pie.
    Years
  • I only used Floette up until I caught Yveltal (which was way better, btw), and I haven't used any other fairy types. I think that it is a good type.

DittosGonnaDitto

Failed Clone #123,456,789
    Years
  • I only used Floette up until I caught Yveltal (which was way better, btw), and I haven't used any other fairy types. I think that it is a good type.

*cough*Dark and Flying type not Fairy*cough*

I've been a fan of the Fairy type ever since I've heard of it coming, although most of my hype was from it being...you know, a new type. The only I've been using so far is Flabebe, and let me just say, it is a BEAST. It's Flower Veil ability helps in Double Battles(which are kinda rare but whatever) with my Skiddo, and it even has some Grass Types moves itself, even if it's not a Grass type.

However, the lack of Fairy Type moves and Fairy type Pokemon(excluding the large amount of old Pokemon now with the Fairy typing) has dissapointed me, but besides that, I can't wait to see what creativeness Game Freak has in store for this new type.

Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    I wished that they would have called it something else then Fairy... But I love it anyways. I love the fact that it is strong against the most bad-ass types such as dragon, fighting and dark and I can't wait until there will be a dragon-fairy type pokemon :P

Drifloon

I'm enjoying the new Fairy type in that it gives a good alternative to fighting Dragon types, while powering up my favorite type (Poison <3).

I think it would've made a bit more sense as the 'Light' type, though. They wouldn't have had to change anything but the name, and I think that would make the fact that it's super effective against Dark types make much much more sense. Either way, I'm enjoying the fairy types I've seen so far and it's a great addition :3

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • Although there arn't any "badass" Fairies, The classic Fairyies like Clafable and Togekiss are really cool now!! These Guys are going to be big soon!

Fairies had a MUCH better introduction than Dark and Steel which had maybe 1 or 2 species when they were introduced. Plus the lack of pure types, which Fairy has many of now!

Years
  • I absolutely love Fairy types, although there are only a handful that are actually okay to use, that being the Azurill, Ralts, and Flabebe families, Sylveon, Klefki, Mawile, and Xerneas, of course. Being specially defensive is great, and their special attack stats aren't too shabby either (Florges has 112SPATK and 154SPDEF, both of which are higher than resident pseudo Goodra and the Fairy eeveelution Sylveon). On the physical side, Mawile and Azumarill are destructive with Play Rough.

My only complaint though is that there are only a few Fairy-type offensive moves, and an even smaller amount that are actually viable in play (Dazzling Gleam, Moonblast, Play Rough, maybe Disarming Voice and Draining Kiss). And oddly, a large percentage of Fairy-type moves are dedicated to Grass-type Pokemon, which I find weird, unless Game Freak is aiming for a Grass-Fairy double team strategy or something.

Emerald_Fire

(Insert Espurr meme here)
    Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2014
    I, frankly, like the type.
    It helps it got a new Eeveelution, like the Dark-type did in Generation II, although I'm still waiting for a Steel-type one...

It especially helps I have many members who at least resist it, although only one gets super-effective damage.

iicraft505

A Magikarp ate your pie.
    Years
  • *cough*Dark and Flying type not Fairy*cough*

I've been a fan of the Fairy type ever since I've heard of it coming, although most of my hype was from it being...you know, a new type. The only I've been using so far is Flabebe, and let me just say, it is a BEAST. It's Flower Veil ability helps in Double Battles(which are kinda rare but whatever) with my Skiddo, and it even has some Grass Types moves itself, even if it's not a Grass type.

However, the lack of Fairy Type moves and Fairy type Pokemon(excluding the large amount of old Pokemon now with the Fairy typing) has dissapointed me, but besides that, I can't wait to see what creativeness Game Freak has in store for this new type.

I knew that. I meant that when the game asked me if I wanted to send a pokemon to the PC so I could have Yveltal in my party, I sent Floette.

Last edited:
    Back