• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Thoughts on SOS battles?

Kimochiru

Keep it quirky!
Years
    • Seen Sep 28, 2022
    I personally find the feature... interesting.

All practical uses aside, I think this new challenge is quite neat. It was mentioned by an NPC (not sure who...), but SOS battles actually bring a very cultural aspect to Pokemon. The Alola region is described to be a region heavily centered around forming bonds, thus Pokemon are more inclined to help each other. It adds some quirks to the region! That Pokemon adopted their own little culture.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    I think it's really annoying. I understand it can be used to chain for shinies, but maybe they should have had it as a feature that became available later into the game. But I do like the story behind it since at the beginning of the game we were told that Pokémon are more likely to help other Pokémon, so it really does fit the culture of the region.

Bay

Years
  • Like everyone else, I get annoyed if I try to catch a Pokemon only for it to summon another one. Sometimes it gets more annoying if a status move is pulled. I favor the double battles in the fifth gen games as you can use two Pokemon and hordes the Pokemon are much weaker at least. I do agree the SOS battles are good for grinding, though.

Years
  • It's absolutely ridiculous, and you have to do it if you want IV Dittos to breed in this game. The good thing about it you can get a 4 IV Ditto after you done chaining 30-40 of 'em.

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
  • If they had limit it to say like one summon per battle, I wouldn't be too annoyed but god the summon being able to summon another ally is just annoying summonception.

Majestic Electric

Raining on your parade!
    Years
  • SOS battles have their uses. They make the battles with the Totem Pokémon interesting and they are useful for IVs, EV training (especially with the updates made to the Power items), and for hunting Shinies, but in every other circumstance, I've just found them very annoying. It makes catching Pokémon really frustrating, especially when the Pokémon has a low catch rate to begin with. It's the only thing I really don't like about the game.

Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2019
    I like the challenge it brings to totem Pokemon battles. Though it did get frustrating, it made winning feel so much more satisfying. However, I found it incredibly annoying for wild Pokemon encounters. I really wanted to play through this game with an Alolan Marowak, but I gave up after every Cubone I tried to catch kept continuously calling for help.

Illusionss

Banned
    Years
  • Absolutely annoying. I've heard these battles can be used for shiny chaining, but the Adrenaline Orb costs money--I don't want to have to pay to shiny hunt. And just trying to catch Pokémon for the Pokédex or for your team or whatever becomes so much more irritating, especially when you defeat the partner and they call yet another. Having the Totem Pokémon call for an ally makes sense, but it happens so frequently in standard wild battles and it's generally just frustrating. Maybe it won't be such a nuisance once I've cleared the game and my Pokémon are much stronger, but right now it's for the most part not enjoyable. I think gen 5 did this better, where darker grass would have Pokémon appear in a double battle--but once you defeated one, no more would ever appear.

Thoughts on SOS battles?

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Not a fan, really. It's not the worst thing in the world and it has its advantages, but it has led to a few very frustrating situations in my playthrough for some Pokémon I was trying to catch. Makes sense for Totem battles, but not a fan of it for regular wild encounters.

If they had limit it to say like one summon per battle, I wouldn't be too annoyed but god the summon being able to summon another ally is just annoying summonception.

^ this, totally

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    I don't think I've encountered an SOS Pokemon when trying to catch a Pokemon, mostly because I tend to use Yawn and put the Pokemon to sleep then lower it. If the Pokemon is below lv 15 and asleep Pokeballs might as well as master balls.

The real question is if it's more viable from other forms of shiny hunting, it's more viable then random encounters, and pokeradar. But it's definitely not more viable then dexnav, chain fishing, friend safari or hordes....

Years
  • It can be annoying at times if you're trying to catch stuff, but not bad for EV training if you have something that can hit both Pokemon at once. Sure, it's not as effective as horde battles but at least we have an option for EV training easily.

It also bugs me how some Pokemon can only be caught through this method. At least I was able to get my own Mareanie from a Corsola SOS, who is now a proud Toxapex.

Back