• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland

NAGATO

(>^-^)>
    Years
    I am so excited to see alice in wonderland xD Iv been waiting for months to see it and i think depp will do amazing in it =]
    By the way OP, Nightmare before xmas was NOT tim burtons movie >> he only produced it. (as in he payed the funds, thats it, and didnt even partake in the creating of anything.) ^^ You are now well informed. Henry Selick Is the one who should have gotten the credit for Nightmare and coraline ^^ (sorry for ranting)

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I am so excited to see alice in wonderland xD Iv been waiting for months to see it and i think depp will do amazing in it =]
    By the way OP, Nightmare before xmas was NOT tim burtons movie >> he only produced it. (as in he payed the funds, thats it, and didnt even partake in the creating of anything.) ^^ You are now well informed. Henry Selick Is the one who should have gotten the credit for Nightmare and coraline ^^ (sorry for ranting)
    Selick did get credit for Coraline. He wrote and directed it. Burton has nothing to do with Coraline o_O

With The Nightmare Before Christmas... it is based on Burton's original poem/story, characters, sketches, and art style. Unfortunately, Burton was busy with Batman Returns at the time which was a very troubled shoot. And so Selick was brought in. Selick did have a lot to do with it. Burton only came on a set for a handful of days. I think the misconception that Burton directed and not Selick should somehow be rectified, although Selick is listed in the credits appropriately. But Burton did partake in the film's creation, it was his idea. To quote Selick, "It's as though he [Burton] laid the egg, and I sat on it and hatched it"

That said though, I don't think Nightmare would have been as good without Elfman's music which is really where the story plays out. So, may Danny Elfman's The Nightmare Before Christmas is more appropriate? XD

Anyway.... looking forward to Alice in Wonderland.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I don't get it, just, there be already other books based on it and a million other films and televised series'... It's just plain weird to me anyway, so I'll actually more concerned than anything in case my friends start talking about it.

Okami Chi

El Guitar Man~
    Years
    I am, I love Tim Burton's films. I just love Coraline, and I also loved 9. If Tim Burton made it I'm gonna love it.

-Okami

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
    Years
    I'm seeing the night it comes out =D !!!! I LOVE Alice in Wonderland. The characters, the story, the friggin Hatter & Cat!!! Lol, and the soundtrack is EPIC (Don't you just love FrostWire (; )

Years
    I am, I love Tim Burton's films. I just love Coraline, and I also loved 9. If Tim Burton made it I'm gonna love it.

-Okami

Tim Burton wasn't involved in Coraline, although it's still a great movie. Sweeney Todd is still one of my favorite movies of all time, though.

Anyway, I'm going to see it. It looks amazing. I love how they did the Red Queen's head, haha.

Years
    I just saw it this afternoon. It wasn't that dark, but maybe I'm used to darker films. I liked it better than Corpse Bride, but less than Nightmare Before Christmas. I really liked this version's Alice. She did a great job. Depp was typecast as always playing the crazy role. All in all a good movie, but not a great one and it didn't really need to be in 3D.

☆Konata☆

~☆~Lucky~☆~Star~☆~
    Years
    I just saw the movie, I think I expected too much, it was slightly disappointing when I saw Alice in Wonderland. I just saw it today

deathcase

Self-Proclaimed Genious
    Years
    • Seen May 14, 2010
    i saw it yesterday, and honestly - i loved it.
    it wasn't 'out of this world' good, but it was still a really good movie.

Samme!

Haterz gonna hate
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Oct 3, 2011
    I saw it last night and I loved it! C: I don't think there could have been a better choice for a Director and a cast, as they all worked seamlessly together. Even though my 3D glasses were all blurry from fingerprints (I have no idea how) and we were basically sitting in the front row, I think the way Tim Burton brought everything to life. But like Scarf said, I don't really think the 3D was completely necessary.

ArcanineOod

DESU.
    Years
    I'm seeing it later today, and I just can't wait!
    We were going to see it in 3D but there were no seats left, so we've booked a 2D showing instead. I don't really mind.
    The film looks amazing! I've been a fan of Alice in Wonderland for longer than I remember, and it's great to see that it's such a popular book that people are still reimagining it even today.
    I'm looking forward to it very much. ^__^

xX

jasonresno

[fight through it]
    Years
    I saw it last night. It wasn't as bizarre as I thought it would be (considering the director and source material) but it was alright. The lead that played Alice sort of bothered me. She just was odd but I suppose it was better using an unknown than some big name actor for the part. I lol'd when I realized Alan Rickman voiced the caterpillar and Johnny Depp was, of course, fantastic.

ArcanineOod

DESU.
    Years
    I just saw it and- and- AAAH!
    It was fantastic. I was expecting amazing things and I wasn't disappointed. Perhaps I'm too easily impressed, but I utterly adored that film. I'm definitely going to create an Alice in Wonderland theme as soon as the DVD comes out. : 3

xX

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I'm indifferent about the film.

I never cared much for Alice in Wonderland. Although, I haven't read either book and I only have the adaptations to go by, I much prefer Alice Through the Looking Glass.

It's been ages since I've seen the first Disney film. A couple of things stayed with me when watching it my youth. 1)Sterling Holloway voicing the Chesire Cat; 2)Mary Blair's artwork; 3)the way the Caterpillar would pronounce "Who"; and...that's about it really. :\

Hearing that Tim Burton would be working on an Alice film seemed like a perfect match to me. It's a sequel of sorts to the story in general and not any particular adaptation.

Personally, I enjoyed it outside of the rabbit hole with all it's awkwardness. Mia Wasikowska, by the way, makes a great Alice.

When we first go down the rabbit hole, I was pleased. Things were colourful at first (particularly due to the Tall Flowers), and familiar characters were there. I really enjoyed Alan Rickman as the Caterpillar, now called Absolem apparently (again, I never read the book. Was he always named that?)

It is a visual film. But not what I thought it was going to be. It didn't feel much like a Burton film to me. I went in thinking of a twisted and colourful world like we saw with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Nope.

Wonderland, now Underland (again, I haven't read the book. Fill me in here) is dry, barren, and war-torn. It's a downer. XD

Burton tried to address something that truly bugs me about the story. Being that there is no story. Alice wonders around from character to character and goes "my, you're odd" and then leaves. With Burton's film he tries to give Alice a bit more character (this is welcomed) and weave a story in that feels out of place.

Alice, being 19, and returning to Wonder....Underland is interesting. And I think it works. It's much like the movie Hook where a grown up Peter Pan returns to Neverland. But the additional story of slaying the Jabberwocky so that the White Queen can rule Underland instead of her sister the Red Queen just falls flat. It feels forced and unnecessary.

Disney's backing this film and I'm not sure why. They didn't produce Hook. And let's face it, the Disney films are what most people associate with these stories, not the original books unfortunately (unlike Alice, I have actually read Pan).

Depp....hmm.... I hate the Mad Hatter as a character. In both films. And any interactions I have with a cast member playing the character at a Disney Park. I never get a long well him XD (nor the Tweedles who take a liking to rubbing my stomach O_o). Depp is more enjoyable as the Hatter than he was Wonka. But he's delivering key dialogue (I think) and I couldn't understand what he was saying. His voice changes, he mumbles, he speaks nonsense. When he was acting "normal" or as normal as the Hatter can be, it was an enjoyable performance. Otherwise, I had no idea what was going on.

But then again it's Alice. It's nonsense, after all, and maybe that's the point.

I did enjoy Helena Bonham Carte as the Red Queen and Barbara Windsor as the Dormouse (or whatever name they gave her now).

Talking animals, evil queens, sword fights. Felt like I was watching a warped version of Narnia. :|

Jado

Two cookies for Dane <3
    Years
    I thought Burton's Alice in Wonderland was fantastic. In fact, I liked it more than the animated Disney version.

Overall, I thought the film had an interesting, dramatic plot that addressed some good themes. I also liked its special effects and music.

I thought Helena Bonham Carter did an excellent job as The Red Queen, who was my favorite character in the film. I also thought Johnny Depp was great as The Mad Hatter, whose character I also enjoyed.

I was content that Burton's Alice was actually a likable and relatable character. Mia Wasikowka did a nice job playing her. The fact that The Cheshire Cat and Absolem AKA The Caterpillar received expanded roles was also satisfying.

On a scale from zero to ten, I would give the film a 9.5/10.

Last edited:

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I thought Burton's Alice in Wonderland was fantastic. In fact, I liked it more than the animated Disney version.
    Okay. But they're completely separate works. Disney's being an animated adaptation of the book. And Burton's being sequel to the collective Alice works. It's not a remake.

Overall, I thought the film had an interesting, dramatic plot that addressed some good themes.
    A common theme that Burton tackles is having a troubled protagonist. Someone trying to discover themself. And that applies to Alice in this case. Although I thought it was kinda useless, at least in the way it was woven into the ending. It's 2010. Is a "women can be free-willed and marry who/when/if they want" message even relevant now? However, given the time period of film, it works. But for the audience....eh.

Back