• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland

Jado

Two cookies for Dane <3
    Years
    Okay. But they're completely separate works. Disney's being an animated adaptation of the book. And Burton's being sequel to the collective Alice works. It's not a remake.

Actually, the film's plot is an extension of Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. Regardless, I still prefer Burton's Alice over Disney's animated Alice.

TRIFORCE89 said:
    A common theme that Burton tackles is having a troubled protagonist. Someone trying to discover themself. And that applies to Alice in this case. Although I thought it was kinda useless, at least in the way it was woven into the ending. It's 2010. Is a "women can be free-willed and marry who/when/if they want" message even relevant now? However, given the time period of film, it works. But for the audience....eh.
    I think you are taking the message too literary. I interpreted it as meaning that anyone can have free will and choose their own destiny, whether they be male or female.

Furthermore, while the vast majority of Western women can be free willed and choose who it is they want to marry, there are still some cultures where women are forced into arranged marriages.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Actually, the film's plot is an extension of Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. Regardless, I still prefer Burton's Alice over Disney's animated Alice.
    Extension. Sequel. Same difference. Still to both books and not any particular adaptation.

The Red Queen doubled as the Red Queen from Looking Glass and the Queen of Hearts from Wonderland.

Left4Dead

Are you mental in the face?
    Years
    Got forced to go see it with this new girl I met, didn't really have high expectations going into it as it's not my type of film, but I sat through it and near the end I had three thoughts in my mind.
    1. Damn that Dragon sounds like Saruman from Lord of the Rings (No wonder...)
    2. That caterpillar doesn't half sound like Snape from Harry Potter (Again, no wonder...)
    3. When is this film going to end 'cause my bum hurts.

I've never wanted to get up an walk out of a movie before, but I did with this just cause it really wasn't my type of film, (but mostly because my bum hurt so much near the end having to sit through nearly two hours and the cinema seats aren't comfy where I'm from) but of course if you're a fan of Tim Burtons work you'll know what to expect an probably enjoy it, (there are a few "laugh out loud" moments I'll admit) but if you get forced into it like I was then sit down, shut your mouth and endure lol

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    I liked it but I thought that the story was a bit too straightforward and not fun enough. The graphics were fun though.

Rolling Pichu

IV XV VII
    Years
    I think the film was boring and the script too conventional. The narrative is really really bad and too fast paced in some places. There are excess characters where there could be development for other primary ones, like the rabbit.

It's a well-known fact among many film peers here, the film definitely sucks.

I felt like I was watching Narnia all over again.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I think the film was boring and the script too conventional. The narrative is really really bad and too fast paced in some places. There are excess characters where there could be development for other primary ones, like the rabbit.

It's a well-known fact among many film peers here, the film definitely sucks.

I felt like I was watching Narnia all over again.
    *high fives* !

Yes to everything

Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2010
    There were some funny parts, none of it was really sad though. It's a must see film for any Tim Burton or Alice in wonderland fan. My favorite was the Cheshire cat. He was portrai very well. The only thing I didn't like was while johnney depp made some very funny remarks, most of them were hard to hear and spoken in a very low voice.

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    The remake of Alice in Wonderland had all the chemistry to become an instant moderd day classic. You have the critically acclaimed Tim Burton directing the film, you had the beloved and visionary actor that is Johnny Depp (playing "The Mad Hatter") as well as a few more recogisable faces. It was also a very big hit when it was first released and still remains a favourite amongst children and adults alike, adding to the suspense of anticipation for those still awaiting to see it.
    However, I feel it wasn't all that it could have been. It was a great film, but not the best I'll ever see. I watched it in 3D and felt that it made it a little too dark due to the fact that you lose 20% of the screen brightness due to the glasses. The 3D process although added quite late in the day manages not to feel like an afterthought. Wonderland is certainly not the rich and immersive world that James Cameron created in Avatar, but it rather gives the movie a hyper-real, almost pop-up book feel that suits the story well. Especially in the climatic battle scene between Alice and the Christopher Lee voiced Jabberwocky.
    Thoughm back to my point on the darkness of the film, I felt it was far more "Underland" in contrast to "Wonderland" and I think it'll have less of an effect on the eyes of younger viewers. It was perfectly relevant to the storyline though I think it wasn't as colourful as it should have been. The xharacters did stand out in that sense however, especially The Mad Hatter as well as The Queen.
    I thought that Tweedledum and Tweedledee were not contradictory enough towards eachother in the film, I think that they should have outlined that a little more rather than just throwing it in here and there. if you read the book you'll know of their radical contradictions.
    I also felt that Alice seemed a little old compared to the original, though I know this is a re-make and not a re-release, I cant help but shake the feeling that an older Alice will not appeal to the younger audience as much, at the age of 19.
    The Playing Cards gaurds didn't look a lot like playing cards oddly enough. Though they beared the obligatory elements, they were all red with armour rather than looking like a normal playing card, this is just something I breifly noticed.
    Johnny Depp makes an excellent Hatter. Traumatised and suffering from split personalities it's a nice touch that in his few coherent moments he seems aware that he's gone insane allowing Depp to briefly add a little humanity to the character. Everyone else seems to revel in the process, Helena Bonham Carter probably having the most fun as the large headed Red Queen. Stealing every scene is Matt Lucas as both Tweedledee and Tweedledum, but again, they could have had more of that humour element.
    Think Narnia crossed with a lighter Tim Burton shooting mixed with the original movie to get the ideaof how it was shot.
    All in all it was a great movie, it had some issues though nothing serious. I would say that it may have been a little rushed or a little too contemporary in places but a must see for any long time fans of Burton or the original film as well as for those who have no affiliation with either, it is a must see but just dont expect it to be in your top 3 or you may just be dissapointed.

luf100

Team Rocket Grunt
    Years
    I'm seeing it tomorrow in 3D. My friend said it was awesome, and I'm a pretty big Johnny Depp fan, so I REALLY wanted to see it. xD Can't wait. So far most reviews I've seen have been positive.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
    It wasn't really Alice in Wonderland to me. I didn't like how Alice and Hatter fell in love or the whole slaying the lightning breathing dragon thing. It just doesn't seem like Wonderland to me. It was a good movie but it wasn't what I was hoping for.

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
    I saw it, but I wasn't very impressed by it. I was honestly expecting a lot better from Johnny Depp, and especially Tim Burton, seeing as I was never a huge Johnny Depp fan but a huge Tim Burton fan. The whole movie was hard to sit through for me. I just didn't really like it. My friend was wild about it, but even she, a really huge fan of Alice since she was a kid, didn't really know how she felt about it.

I think it could have been better. But that's my opinion.

luf100

Team Rocket Grunt
    Years
    I just got back from seeing it. I thought Johnny Depp was amazing, but the rest was pretty meh. It was good but not as good as I was expecting. Although, it was so packed that by the time my friend and I got into the theatre, we had to sit at the very front. So it was harder to watch and that might've put me off a little. I found that they had a few stupid parts in with intense or serious parts. xD Like the end after the battle, when the Hattter just started dancing, I was like wtf. XD

The Cheshire Cat was epic though. I loved him. ^_^

I think that it is worth gander. xD I've always wanted to say that.

But, I'll wait until it goes on pass at my theater, because I get my sisters employee benefits and get in for two bucks. xP

It seems really good, and my friends have given positive comments, but the whole idea seems a little iffy, I'm not to keen on the idea that she goes the hole a second time or whatever. All I know, is that right now, it doesn't feel like the classic that we all know and love, just the same characters and setting, but in an alternate universe or something. xD

ChrisTom

With all regards,
    Years
    I read the original books before the movie came out, and I DO like some of the potrayals of the characters, but it did seem a bit... odd...

I wish they had more references to the book in there. One of my favorite quotes from the movie thought wasn't even in the book:

Mad Hatter: Alice, you don't seem like yourself. You've... uh... you've lost something about you. You've lost much of your... Muchness. Yes, that's it! You've lost much of your muchness indeed Alice.

Years
    Well after a day of my friend talking about this movie i was expecting something really amazing but when i watched it it wasnt as good as i had hoped. the only good parta bout it is that it has the jabberwocky in wich is what my project is about at college.
    Its a really amazing movie but not as amazing as id like

Back