• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Time Removal

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
  • Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen lacked the time function that Ruby and Sapphire had to match Pokémon Red and Green/Blue better. This made it so that Eevee couldn't evolve into Espeon and Umbreon and also meant the game lack features such as the lottery, berries, etc.

How did you feel about the removal of this important feature? Do you wish they had included it? Do you think it was necessary to remove time to keep it like the originals?

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • It wasn't necessary to remove it, but at the same time, since there weren't any visible changes between day and night in R/S/E anyway, it really didn't make much of a difference to me at all. I never used any of the time-dependent evolution Pokemon anyway and there was no place to even plant berries, so I didn't really care. In 3rd gen as a whole, the time feature wasn't nearly as important since day didn't visibly turn to night and there weren't any time-specific wild Pokemon appearances.

If anything, it's one less variable that the game's internal memory has to keep track of. I'm not sure if this means FR/LG carts will last longer than R/S/E carts, but it's certainly food for thought.

Hann

What's all the Buzz about...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2020
    The time removal wouldn't have bothered me, had it not been for Espeon and Umbreon. I love that they wanted to stay true to the originals, but they could've at least made sure that there was an alternative available. Now it just seemed that they didn't think those two pokémon were important enough to make a new item (or something like that).
    The berries didn't bother me too much. You could still find them on the ground and I honestly don't use berries that much (but that's just me), so the time feature wasn't needed for that.
    I don't think time had to be included in Fire Red and Leaf Green. It would've been pretty neat to have it, but it's not necessary. I did think it's unfortunate you can only get Umbreon and Espeon through trade in those games, but we can't have everything the way we want it. And it's not like we didn't get to see Kanto in day and night time. We get plenty of that in Gold, Silver and Crystal (and their remakes), but let's not discuss those here.
    Ruby and Sapphire did get the time features, but no day and night and I honestly have to say I truly don't mind (Probably because it's weird to imagine day and night in those games, same with Fire Red and Leaf Green).
    I feel like both sets of games had little to nothing to gain with the added time feature. It would've been neat, but it wouldn't have added much 'depth' to the games. That's what I think at least.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • The time removal wouldn't have bothered me, had it not been for Espeon and Umbreon. I love that they wanted to stay true to the originals, but they could've at least made sure that there was an alternative available. Now it just seemed that they didn't think those two pokémon were important enough to make a new item (or something like that).
    Although I never played FRLG, this time removal probably would have pissed me off for the very reason described above. It's one thing to be 'faithful', but part of the appeal of a remake is to import some of the new stuff into a game that you once presumably loved and hope that it turns out for the best. But mainly because I really like Espeon...

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    Day 'n night wasn't too important, but getting Eevee to evolve through happiness was. I love Espeon and it was annoying that I had to trade one in, already evolved to start with. Other than that, it wasn't too important at all.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    Myeh, I just Water Stoned Eevee when I got it. The time removal didn't bother me too greatly, though I did miss planting and growing berries. That was fun. Other than that, it had no effect on anything else in the game other than the ability to get Espeon or Umbreon. Even though I love Espeon, I didn't miss it too greatly.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I wished that they included time in FR/LG... but if they were to add time it would make it less of a remake, so I'm glad they didn't add time to FR/LG.

Years
  • I was a little disappointed because I wasn't able to evolve Eevee into Espeon, but that's about it.

I don't really use berries that often, anyway.

Barrels

The Fresh Prince of Kanto
    Years
  • I thought the whole reason that Wes started with both Espeon and Umbreon in Pokémon Colosseum was a sort of apology/alternative for not including time events in FR/LG...

And while obviously I don't agree with that as a solution or reason for removing them, you have to admit that it makes good sense from a marketing POV.

Marketing Man #1: "Hey, R/B/Y never had time-based events... maybe we should take them out for the remakes."
    MM #2: "But what about the day/night evolvers?"
    *cash register eyes*
    MM #1: "Well. People can just buy a Gamecube and a nice new expensive Pokémon game if they want them that badly..."

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    I thought the whole reason that Wes started with both Espeon and Umbreon in Pokémon Colosseum was a sort of apology/alternative for not including time events in FR/LG...

And while obviously I don't agree with that as a solution or reason for removing them, you have to admit that it makes good sense from a marketing POV.

Marketing Man #1: "Hey, R/B/Y never had time-based events... maybe we should take them out for the remakes."
    *cash register eyes*
    MM #1: "Well. People can just buy a Gamecube and a nice new expensive Pokémon game if they want them that badly..."

How did you learn Nintendo's secret plan to print more money?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • It would have been odd to have a time function in a game that was a remake of a game that didn't have one, so that's probably why it was excluded. But I agree that there should have been some kind of item for day/night evolvers (which at this time though, was only Umbreon and Espeon). They did that in Pokemon XD. Likely because Eevee was your starter, but perhaps they realized they messed up with FRLG in not having at least some kind of way to obtain Umbreon and Espeon.

So no, I don't think time functions belong in FRLG, but there could have been some solutions to these problems. Just more reasons why I don't like FRLG.

Barrels

Years
  • How did you learn Nintendo's secret plan to print more money?

Secret? Pffft. They couldn't have been more obvious if they'd printed a gigantic banner reading 'NO UMBREONZ FOR U TROLOLOL' and hung it beneath an billboard for Pokémon XD.

Also, day/night items would've been epic, but I don't know how they'd have worked canonwise. Moon dust, maybe? Sunbeds? A solar panel you could strap to your Eevee's back? None of the above because those are all incredibly stupid ideas?

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    Secret? Pffft. They couldn't have been more obvious if they'd printed a gigantic banner reading 'NO UMBREONZ FOR U TROLOLOL' and hung it beneath an billboard for Pokémon XD.

I think I saw a banner in 2005 when Emerald was released and it said "UMBREON AVAILABLE AGAIN" on it. And it was a huge banner.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen lacked the time function that Ruby and Sapphire had to match Pokémon Red and Green/Blue better. This made it so that Eevee couldn't evolve into Espeon and Umbreon and also meant the game lack features such as the lottery, berries, etc.

How did you feel about the removal of this important feature? Do you wish they had included it? Do you think it was necessary to remove time to keep it like the originals?

I hated that the time feature was removed in FireRed/LeafGreen. While RSE didn't depend on it as much as GSC, it does limit how often you can battle Trainers in Secret Bases after mixing Records (once per day; can be done additional times in one day each time you mix Records again). It's so weird that time is passing (if it weren't, your character would be stuck in his/her room in Pallet Town for eternity) and at the same, time it's not (doesn't play much of a role in-game). We *know* about Espeon and Umbreon's existence, so how is Eevee barred from evolving into them in Kanto simply because time "passes" in Hoenn and not Kanto? -_-

Kanto's story is still technically enjoyable without a time feature, but it just majorly inconveniences Espeon and Umbreon fans. It's good to for a remake to stay true to its source material/game, but sometimes enhancements are liked, as well as needed/required (to make more sense of things). A lottery similar to the one held in Lilycove City's Department Store would be nice in Celadon's Department Store, even.

Time Removal

(Speaking of which, I'm calling hax on Twins Jen & Kira of the Trainer Tower in Sevii Archipelago's Quest Island. Unless they somehow went to Johto illegally, there is no way that they should be able to own an Espeon in FR/LG, much less a shiny one. That seems like more of an insult to the player, even. -.-)

Time Removal

The one good thing about the lack of a time feature in FireRed/LeafGreen is that the Pokerus is effectively permanent in those games if you trade a Pokemon over from RSE (although you can still only contract the actual "disease"/life-form in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald).

It wasn't necessary to remove it, but at the same time, since there weren't any visible changes between day and night in R/S/E anyway, it really didn't make much of a difference to me at all. I never used any of the time-dependent evolution Pokemon anyway and there was no place to even plant berries, so I didn't really care. In 3rd gen as a whole, the time feature wasn't nearly as important since day didn't visibly turn to night and there weren't any time-specific wild Pokemon appearances.

If anything, it's one less variable that the game's internal memory has to keep track of. I'm not sure if this means FR/LG carts will last longer than R/S/E carts, but it's certainly food for thought.

This.

Myeh, I just Water Stoned Eevee when I got it. The time removal didn't bother me too greatly, though I did miss planting and growing berries. That was fun. Other than that, it had no effect on anything else in the game other than the ability to get Espeon or Umbreon. Even though I love Espeon, I didn't miss it too greatly.

The absence of Berry Planting/Farming/Growing also bothered me greatly, as it's an entertaining feature at times. Despite Berries being available in certain methods/locations in-game, it's just not the same as actually expending effort in cultivating your own Berries. :cer_no: At the very least, the Berry Growing feature would've given the player more to do in an otherwise mundane Kanto region.

Strangely, FireRed/LeafGreen are one of the sets of games that can fix the Berry Glitch (which causes the cessation of time-based events) in Ruby/Sapphire. @_@

I thought the whole reason that Wes started with both Espeon and Umbreon in Pokémon Colosseum was a sort of apology/alternative for not including time events in FR/LG...

*cash register eyes*

0_0 I admit, such a tactic would be kind of underhanded and clever. XD

It would have been odd to have a time function in a game that was a remake of a game that didn't have one, so that's probably why it was excluded. But I agree that there should have been some kind of item for day/night evolvers (which at this time though, was only Umbreon and Espeon). They did that in Pokemon XD. Likely because Eevee was your starter, but perhaps they realized they messed up with FRLG in not having at least some kind of way to obtain Umbreon and Espeon.

So no, I don't think time functions belong in FRLG, but there could have been some solutions to these problems. Just more reasons why I don't like FRLG.

Also, day/night items would've been epic, but I don't know how they'd have worked canonwise. Moon dust, maybe? Sunbeds? A solar panel you could strap to your Eevee's back? None of the above because those are all incredibly stupid ideas?

Time Removal Time Removal

Problem solved. :cer_laugh: (Honestly, would the Sun Shard and Moon Shard have come from anything else? Yeah, they kind of spoil the exclusivity of time-based evolutionary Pokemon, but "rarity of a certain stone" makes much more sense for inhibiting an evolution than "ER, THIS GAME DOESN'T HAZ TIME FEATURE LIKE TEH ORIGINALS SO UM YEAH WAIT FOR PKMN XD". People in Johto should've imported these the minute they heard about their existence...and the anime has even less of an excuse for why Eevee had to wait until the Johto arc to "evolve temporally." -.-)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    They are remakes of games that did not have that feature. Therefore, I do not expect it.

Years
  • They are remakes of games that did not have that feature. Therefore, I do not expect it.
    This.

And Idk, it doesn't affect the game the way I play it. I rarely love one of the Pokemon games enough to care about catchin' em all, so I don't really care about the lack of a feature that's main purpose if for pokemon evos. And like the quote says, they are remakes of games which didn't contain the feature.

I hope that if they ever port the first generation to DS, that the feature does appear though.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • (Honestly, would the Sun Shard and Moon Shard have come from anything else? Yeah, they kind of spoil the exclusivity of time-based evolutionary Pokemon, but "rarity of a certain stone" makes much more sense for inhibiting an evolution than "ER, THIS GAME DOESN'T HAZ TIME FEATURE LIKE TEH ORIGINALS SO UM YEAH WAIT FOR PKMN XD". People in Johto should've imported these the minute they heard about their existence...and the anime has even less of an excuse for why Eevee had to wait until the Johto arc to "evolve temporally." -.-)

Christ, you post a lot. Anyway though, it's just the games being non-canon to the anime as usual there, but you think with later having the Moon and Sun shards, they would have thought to put them in FRLG beforehand. Honestly, I think it was more of them not thinking rather than a marketing thing. Though it could be either really.

-twiddles thumbs and still hates FRLG- tee hee.

And Idk, it doesn't affect the game the way I play it. I rarely love one of the Pokemon games enough to care about catchin' em all, so I don't really care about the lack of a feature that's main purpose if for pokemon evos. And like the quote says, they are remakes of games which didn't contain the feature.

That in mind, I don't see the big issue in this either. Unless you want to complete your Pokedex in FRLG, it's not even a problem, in regards to getting Umbreon and Espeon. Clearly the game you'd want to finish the Gen III national dex on would be RSE, because you also can't measure beauty in FRLG to evolve Feebas. And HEY. That has nothing to do with the absence of time in FRLG. ...I should just go to bed, I don't think I'm making much sense now.

Barrels

Years
  • I think I saw a banner in 2005 when Emerald was released and it said "UMBREON AVAILABLE AGAIN" on it. And it was a huge banner.

XD that cannot be true. But if it is, the marketing men are even eviller than I first suspected. Down with capitalism etc.

Time Removal
    Time Removal
    Time Removal

Problem solved.
    Time Removal
    (Honestly, would the Sun Shard and Moon Shard have come from anything else? Yeah, they kind of spoil the exclusivity of time-based evolutionary Pokemon, but "rarity of a certain stone" makes much more sense for inhibiting an evolution than "ER, THIS GAME DOESN'T HAZ TIME FEATURE LIKE TEH ORIGINALS SO UM YEAH WAIT FOR PKMN XD". People in Johto should've imported these the minute they heard about their existence...and the anime has even less of an excuse for why Eevee had to wait until the Johto arc to "evolve temporally." -.-)

STOP MAKING FUN OF MEH and my inability to think up anything remotely plausible. And you hadn't even heard my latest theory... stand Eevee next to a Solrock if you want an Espeon and a Lunatone if you want an Umbreon. (Quiet at the back. If R/S can force us all to go through the unholy ordeal of hunting for Relicanth at the bottom of the ocean just to get the Regis, FR/LG can have a special little Time Cave.)

-twiddles thumbs and still hates FRLG- tee hee.

Y U H8 FR/LG SO MUCH? :P Explain thyself!

Back